IGNORED

Harry and Meghan 15

samurai_sarah

28 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Netflix hasn't had quite as bad an experience as Spotify so they're willing to have a little give while monitoring the situation very, very closely.  If useful and productive work doesn't materialize, they'll drop them.  Perhaps quietly, but they'll be on top of productivity with little patience now.

I didn't realize you were the CEO of Netflix. It's always funny when people talk with such authority about things they don't really know. We have ZERO idea what Netflix thinks about their deal with Harry and Meghan, lol. You're probably not wrong in your speculation, but presenting it as fact is so funny to me. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • WTF 2

JMO and I'm not the CEO of anything but my crackers cupboard, but I am sure the Netflix people knew that the HM series was always going to be a tough act to follow up with anything equally sensational. . People are going to tune into "Celeb Reveals All" and "Look We Got The Dirt On Other Famous People", for the gossip but "A Famous Person Speaks Virtuously About A Charity", or "This Children's Cartoon A Famous Person's Wife Dreamed Up" are never going to have the same shock value.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

Pretty much everything we say on here is opinion.  It would get rather monotonous if every post or paragraph had to begin with in my opinion.  I certainly take most people's posts that way.  

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, viii said:

You're probably not wrong in your speculation, but presenting it as fact is so funny to me. 

But so many posters here do that, you and me included.

• I Agree 1
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, prayawaythefundie said:

But so many posters here do that, you and me included.

I'm not disagreeing, majority of posters do it. I usually try to include somewhere in my posts 'imo' or something, but I'm sure I'm guilty of it as well. It's just entertaining to watch. 

• Upvote 1

IMO.

🙂

The most interesting part of this story has nothing do with Harry and Meghan, but that the entertainment moguls clearly screwed up and yet they refuse to own it. Like much of our culture, they were apparently blinded by the possibilities of celebrity status and ignored that podcasting takes skill and it is something of a genre out of time---as in, I don't think many of the under 40 crowd has much experience with radio and talk shows in general and they are adapted to 30 second sound bytes, not lengthy in-depth conversations. Ask any professor these days, it's  a lot to get students to pay attention to a traditional lecture. (And I am not saying traditional lectures are a great way to learn, but that most people are used to shorter and more visual presentations.) Even in Ancient Greece, the long winded speeches were in person and thus would have had some visual interest and interplay with the audience. The few radio talk show style podcasts that persist, such as Joe Rogan, are highly repetitive. There is a schtick that is repeated over and over and over. So, say, you can turn it on as background noise and step away any number of times and not really miss anything.

How much of this would Meghan and Harry have understood?

That is the interesting and kind of hilarious piece to all this. Each genre is a skillset. Celebrity status does not mean skillset. Entertainment moguls took a bet and lost. Imagine that.

• Upvote 18

5 hours ago, noseybutt said:

The most interesting part of this story has nothing do with Harry and Meghan, but that the entertainment moguls clearly screwed up and yet they refuse to own it.

Screwed up? The book and the docu were huge successes. Even the podcast knocked Joe Rogan off his #1 stop, which is pretty remarkable since Meghan had never done a podcast before. You define that as a screwup? They've made a fortune and are probably thrilled.

@noseybutt I have to disagree. Podcasting is quite the thing atm. Almost every person with an income based on SocialMedia regularly appears on podcast if they don’t produce one themselves. Most are actually produced as podcast and also as video to watch. 
Of course you need to either bring a following that will just listen to whatever you talk about or build your channel with consistent and relevant content. The archetypes podcast had actually potential. Sadly, it was too much about Meghan. And she should have gone better with stereotypes as you have more. Another 2-3 seasons would have been possible. 
I don’t think H&M are the right interest for people u30 anyway. And the young ones definitely are able to focus for long parts of their time. If they are interested. And if you are smart enough for university you’d think you can do some practice and have a big of self reflection. Everyone planning to study knows that you will attend 90min lectures. That’s just basic knowledge.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 5

2 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

@noseybutt I have to disagree. Podcasting is quite the thing atm. Almost every person with an income based on SocialMedia regularly appears on podcast if they don’t produce one themselves. Most are actually produced as podcast and also as video to watch. 
Of course you need to either bring a following that will just listen to whatever you talk about or build your channel with consistent and relevant content. The archetypes podcast had actually potential. Sadly, it was too much about Meghan. And she should have gone better with stereotypes as you have more. Another 2-3 seasons would have been possible. 
I don’t think H&M are the right interest for people u30 anyway. And the young ones definitely are able to focus for long parts of their time. If they are interested. And if you are smart enough for university you’d think you can do some practice and have a big of self reflection. Everyone planning to study knows that you will attend 90min lectures. That’s just basic knowledge.

I guess it’s because everyone and their dog in SM world has a podcast that I don’t think podcasting has staying power. I think of it is as blogging. In the 00’s blogs were a thing in a way they are not now.  At the prime of monetizing, there was a steep decline. The bloggers who endured were the ones who slid over into other ventures (book deals, motivational speaking circuit, TV etc).

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

@noseybutt that I agree with. Podcasting quite hip atm but many will leave the platform again. But there are also great creators that have been doing it for over a decade and will probably prevail. They had their audience well before the hype and will be fine I guess.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

On 6/29/2023 at 1:55 AM, Jackie3 said:

They've made a fortune and are probably thrilled.

A fortune which they should give to charity, right? Let‘s be consistent with our standards.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 7

2 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

A fortune which they should give to charity, right? Let‘s be consistent with our standards.

Yes, we should be consistent. The Sussex's  aren't billionaires like the Cambridges,. They get no money from taxpayers. They pay for their own security. They pay for their own food and housing. As a result, William should be donating a lot more, because he has WAY more expendable income. He's one of the richest men in the world. So to be consistent, he should be donating more.

8 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Yes, we should be consistent. The Sussex's  aren't billionaires like the Cambridges,. They get no money from taxpayers. They pay for their own security. They pay for their own food and housing.

Yes, the Sussexes are such heroes! They get their money for complaining about not being offered a taxpayer-funded lipgloss with enough enthusiasm. Or for letting us know about the taxpayer-funded product Harry used for his frostbitten penis. 😆

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 10

2 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

Yes, the Sussexes are such heroes! They get their money for complaining about not being offered a taxpayer-funded lipgloss with enough enthusiasm. Or for letting us know about the taxpayer-funded product Harry used for his frostbitten penis. 😆

They pay their own bills without breaking the law. They don't take a cent from the taxpayer.

If that means he talks about his frostbite, so be it! It's way more dignified than putting your hand out to the British public to buy your clothes and food.

They do so thanks to people like you. People who buy their books and watch their docus, or keep them relevant through online posts and clicks.

Edited by Jackie3

Especially as they are so hyper successful they at least should donate the equivalent of the inheritances H got from his royal relatives. I mean, Queen Mum is not known to be a woke character. Neither does Philip of HMTQ fit the role after todays standards….. this money is not exactly clean if you look at it through the lense they are trying to sell.

Yeah, I don’t think so  

They literally fight to be granted certain perks like the royals, so that they don’t have to pay for it out of their own pocket right how. And let’s not forget that by their own account they would have happily stayed on KCIII payroll and represent the Monarchy. They just wanted the opportunity to make money on their own on the side. That’s their own words. 

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 9

I'm glad at least one hater got his comeuppance. Jeremy Clarkson's article was deemed sexist, and the Sun must make a front page apology.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-64489083

The article was called:

"One day, Harold the glove puppet will tell the truth about A Woman Talking Bollocks”. 

That is supposedly "journalism."

I'm glad Clarkson has been humiliated. He compared Meghan to a serial killer, and said he liked the serial killer better. Really sick stuff.

Edited by Destiny
Remove mistaken merge
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I wonder why old white men are so triggered by MM. 

It might be time for him to retire, just saying. He doesn't look healthy.

Fz5pQoCWIAI1YWq.jpg

On 7/2/2023 at 9:58 AM, AmazonGrace said:

But it's OK to say Harry and Meghan are garbage scum-suckers! That's not vile at all. It's just Jeremy who is vile.

On 7/1/2023 at 8:39 AM, just_ordinary said:

And let’s not forget that by their own account they would have happily stayed on KCIII payroll and represent the Monarchy.

Charles said he wasn't putting them on the payroll. They would have to work for free.

I understand, though, you thought they should tolerate the abuse Meghan' received, so they could "represent the Monarchy." Goodness knows they represented it better than Camilla or Charles!

It's strange how everyone quite rightly rushes to condemn Jeremy Clarkson-- but it's perfectly OK to spew stuff that's slightly less abusive.

I'm glad his abusive claptrap was shut down. But I wonder at the level of hate. At the very worst, what has MM done?

--told lies

--failed to show enough deference to the royals (though why an American would be deferential to the royals, I don't know)

--had the nerve to want to marry a prince

--wanted to improve her social status or marry a rich man

--thought she was better than she was (!)

Frankly, most people I know tell lies, want to improve themselves, would be excited to marry a prince, and would love to marry a rich person. Lots of them make jokes about the royals in a very undeferential manner.

It's hardly enough to inspire months of abuse.  Especially when Andrew isn't being abused at all.

I certainly have not given a cent of my money or viewing or reading time to the Harold and Meghan screwball comedy hour. 

• Upvote 3

On 6/30/2023 at 12:36 PM, Jackie3 said:

They do so thanks to people like you. People who buy their books and watch their docus, or keep them relevant through online posts and clicks.

I have not bought any book by or about them nor watched their docu on Netflix. I haven‘t listened to one episode of Archetypes. I haven’t even finished that dreadful Oprah interview to this day. I actually get 95% of my info on them from this thread. 

How did my post get morphed with Jackie3‘s? Feels really uncomfortable…

Edited by Destiny
Adding content from earlier that was mistakenly merged.
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

Picture: Jeff Goldblum turning into the fly..throwing up on everything and losing all human reason.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

My apologies. We merge the troll’s 32489328 posts when we approve them and I guess I fucked up, ‘cause it was me that did it.

I moved the content to your post where you commented on it. That’s the best i can do at this point. I’m so sorry.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Destiny said:

My apologies. We merge the troll’s 32489328 posts when we approve them and I guess I fucked up, ‘cause it was me that did it.

I moved the content to your post where you commented on it. That’s the best i can do at this point. I’m so sorry.

Thank you, I‘m happy with the solution. 👍

Edited by prayawaythefundie
  • Upvote 1

On 7/1/2023 at 3:14 PM, tabitha2 said:

I certainly have not given a cent of my money or viewing or reading time to the Harold and Meghan screwball comedy hour. 

Viewing and reading here doesn't count?

Mike Tindall has a podcast, and has mentioned his relatives on it many times. He also raised money by appearing on a reality show. (He also snuggles up next to strange women)

Eugenie had a podcast (which never reached #1)

Even Fergie has a podcast.

All these royals with podcasts and it's only Meghan who was #1. In fact, these podcasts are hardly known by anyone. They just can't achieve Meghan's relevance.

On 6/28/2023 at 11:18 AM, AmazonGrace said:

JMO and I'm not the CEO of anything but my crackers cupboard, but I am sure the Netflix people knew that the HM series was always going to be a tough act to follow up with anything equally sensational. . People are going to tune into "Celeb Reveals All" and "Look We Got The Dirt On Other Famous People", for the gossip but "A Famous Person Speaks Virtuously About A Charity", or "This Children's Cartoon A Famous Person's Wife Dreamed Up" are never going to have the same shock value.

They’ve made mental health their topic, the best thing they can do is stay on that. I can’t think of anything else to follow up with, unfortunately. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic