IGNORED

Bates 32: More Weddings, More Babies

Coconut Flan

The Bateses have come full circle and they are now back in jumpers. 

054BC4CD-B4C6-4CE7-9C58-C17334F784D1.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 18

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It's cute they're pretending to like books. Why is Carlin's dress hiked up so oddly?

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 2

The dresses look super comfy but I would look ridiculous in one. I will admit to dressing my daughter in jumpers. I love the look on little girls. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

On 2/11/2024 at 6:11 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m not surprised the Websters didn’t go. They also didn’t go to Lawson’s wedding. 

I think they didn't go to Lawson's wedding because it would have been expensive because it was all the way in CA. I thought they went to Trace and Lydia's since it was in TN and that's an easier trip, but I am not seeing anything that shows that they were there on their YT or Alyssa's IG. I I think they skipped that one, too, though Alyssa would have been pregnant. Since she can get really sick with her pregnancies, she probably didn't want to risk it happening at a wedding.

It's nice to see that Gil's parents made it. All the kids seem to really love their grandparents and love seeing their own kids with them. And with them both being in their mid-eighties, who knows how many more of these family get togethers they will be around for.

Edited by dawn9476
  • Upvote 6

59 minutes ago, dawn9476 said:

I think they didn't go to Lawson's wedding because it would have been expensive because it was all the way in CA. I thought they went to Trace and Lydia's since it was in TN and that's an easier trip, but I am not seeing anything that shows that they were there on their YT or Alyssa's IG. I I think they skipped that one, too, though Alyssa would have been pregnant. Since she can get really sick with her pregnancies, she probably didn't want to risk it happening at a wedding.

It's nice to see that Gil's parents made it. All the kids seem to really love their grandparents and love seeing their own kids with them. And with them both being in their mid-eighties, who knows how many more of these family get togethers they will be around for.

Alyssa did go to Traces wedding, its on her IG its just hard to find, juts look at the dates October 1, 2022.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, dawn9476 said:

Here is a photo from Trace's wedding. 

Trace Wedding - Websters.png

• Upvote 5

7 hours ago, Expectopatronus said:

The dresses look super comfy but I would look ridiculous in one. I will admit to dressing my daughter in jumpers. I love the look on little girls. 

I’ve always thought jumpers were great on kids and mostly aren’t great for adults. I can’t say it for all though. I have seen jumpers for adults that are actually cute. But not a lot. 

• Upvote 6

13 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Somehow, I don’t see either Carlin or Whitney including a jumper in their wardrobe. Not their style. 

sometimes the boutique seems like an excuse for the Bates sisters and sisters-in-law to play model. They are constantly doing photo shoots, always starring the Bates ladies. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 6

On 2/12/2024 at 7:28 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I would probably avoid I love you day too if I was Alyssa. I’m sorry but traveling with 5 kids to TN from FL is a lot of work itself. But I’m guessing they would also have to get a hotel room. And the costumes on top if it. That’s a lot of time and effort for a holiday the Bates family made up because they couldn’t afford Christmas presents but could afford valentines presents because they got their tax return. 

I think they just do the stupid day for content.

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, postscript said:

Somehow, I don’t see either Carlin or Whitney including a jumper in their wardrobe. Not their style. 

sometimes the boutique seems like an excuse for the Bates sisters and sisters-in-law to play model. They are constantly doing photo shoots, always starring the Bates ladies. 

I agree. I'm not sure that Carlin is a "business woman" so much as enjoying the cameras being on her.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

13 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Considering that Evan, Trace and Lawson were all wandering around filming, that seems a pretty safe assumption. Meta moment in Trace’s video when his camera and Lawson’s confronted each other. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 2

Long loose jumpers covering the knees, shirts up to the collarbone & no contrasting buttons!  Did Steve Maxwell design these jumpers?

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 7

30 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Now they do. But it didn’t start that way. They did I love you day long before they had a show. And they didn’t do big christmases back then. I always assumed it was because they didn’t have the money at Christmas but the had their tax return by Valentine’s Day. So they did their big gift giving then. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 6

The Websters are more the norm in a regular sized family. If my family in TX had been having a weekend get together in the 90s when I had a 32/hr a week job and 2 very young children, I likely would have missed that get together as I live in CA. I find it astounding that a family with 19 children, many of whom have families and live out of state, would have 18/19 offspring attend a weekend event. Most people have jobs and other constraints that mean they will sometimes miss events. Heck my work schedule alone (nursing, so weekend and holiday commitments) did not permit me the latitude to attend all family functions. I missed many weddings, baptisms, parties, holiday meals, even my own kids’ recitals, competitions, games etc… it’s the reality of adult lives and commitments.

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 11

15 hours ago, Kiki03910 said:

It's cute they're pretending to like books. Why is Carlin's dress hiked up so oddly?

So she doesn't look quite so fundie #trigger

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, SassyPants said:

The Websters are more the norm in a regular sized family. If my family in TX had been having a weekend get together in the 90s when I had a 32/hr a week job and 2 very young children, I likely would have missed that get together as I live in CA. I find it astounding that a family with 19 children, many of whom have families and live out of state, would have 18/19 offspring attend a weekend event. Most people have jobs and other constraints that mean they will sometimes miss events. Heck my work schedule alone (nursing, so weekend and holiday commitments) did not permit me the latitude to attend all family functions. I missed many weddings, baptisms, parties, holiday meals, even my own kids’ recitals, competitions, games etc… it’s the reality of adult lives and commitments.

I completely agree. John might have nepotism at work but he has a full time schedule year round with a "typical" holiday days off. Alyssa admitted they don't even always go to John's softball games because it is hard to get out with that many kids. She isn't just going to drive 10 hours/650 miles on her own for a weekend. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, gobucks said:

I completely agree. John might have nepotism at work but he has a full time schedule year round with a "typical" holiday days off. Alyssa admitted they don't even always go to John's softball games because it is hard to get out with that many kids. She isn't just going to drive 10 hours/650 miles on her own for a weekend. 

Exactly. I don’t like when John gets compared to some of the other SILs in terms of what he doesn’t do around the house or with the kids on a day to day basis. This man has a job that requires him to leave his home and provide services to people other than Alyssa and his children. He likely gets certain days and some annual vacation time off. He is not Zach or Evan who work with their wives at their own business, or Kelton who owns his own business and likely sets his own schedule. And Lord knows he is not Chad or Mr Katie (sorry cannot remember his name) who “do”, I don’t know what/when/where or how. Look at the Paines. They were in TN for the couples get together (On Thursday or Friday) and likely left for home on Sunday. Plus Erin posted that they take 2 days to drive each way. So 4 days driving + Fri and Sat, so 6 days total (and 7 if the first dinner was on TH). No way a worker can pull that off unless it is a scheduled vacation. Maybe John only gets 2 weeks off a year and the Websters didn’t want to spend half of that time on a loud, family event in TN?

People who work outside the home are not generally at the disposal of their family during work hours. And no one in the real world  is driving 10 hours X2, with 5 small kids to attend a Saturday evening get together- Sure, if they are wealthy and have a private jet…

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 4

2 hours ago, gobucks said:

There was a couple of times one of the brothers flew down and then drove back with her & the kids (no John).  Jackson and Emmy went so she could’ve worked out some sort of plan with them. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I always assumed it was because they didn’t have the money at Christmas but the had their tax return by Valentine’s Day. So they did their big gift giving then. 

How much work did Gil do that he might actually have gotten a tax return?  I've heard this before but just now I was thinking how much he was really a grifter for everything.  I guess there was the tree business, but was it all that active?

• Upvote 5

If Alyssa wanted to be at I Love You Day, she would have been there. I just don’t think she values the big family gatherings like the rest of them do. John’s been working at his family’s business for a long time now. If he doesn’t get more than two weeks vacation by now, that’s a sucky place to work. John probably didn’t want to miss a softball game and Alyssa probably dreaded the drive with five kids and buying five LHOTP costumes. The pain in the ass aspects of the trip outweighed the “memories that would have been created” and it doesn’t seem like guilt trips work on Alyssa.

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, JDuggs said:

If Alyssa wanted to be at I Love You Day, she would have been there. I just don’t think she values the big family gatherings like the rest of them do. John’s been working at his family’s business for a long time now. If he doesn’t get more than two weeks vacation by now, that’s a sucky place to work. John probably didn’t want to miss a softball game and Alyssa probably dreaded the drive with five kids and buying five LHOTP costumes. The pain in the ass aspects of the trip outweighed the “memories that would have been created” and it doesn’t seem like guilt trips work on Alyssa.

I don't know if it isn't that she doesn't value them. Maybe it's just she finds them overwhelming with all the people and kids running around. When she visits her grandparents farm in SC, it seems like she goes on her own with her family. I think she skips going there for more crowded events like Papa Bill's birthday on the 4th of July or Thanksgiving.

And regarding going to TN, I bet she goes this summer. She usually tries to go every summer. And IIRC from the last couple of times she went, John didn't go. A friend drove with her one time to help with the kids and driving I think.

5 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

There was a couple of times one of the brothers flew down and then drove back with her & the kids (no John).  Jackson and Emmy went so she could’ve worked out some sort of plan with them. 

Warden was just down there and staying with them. I was thinking that maybe he was going to drive back to TN with her and the kids to help out but no, It looks like he went back on his own, or maybe he went back with Jackson & Emerson

And it's not like it's been a long time since she has seen all her family. She just saw all of them at Jackson & Emerson's wedding four months ago.

Edited by dawn9476
  • Upvote 6

Oof. In light of the recent discussion about the Erin/Carlin break, I saw something in the Tori Qade birth episode on BUB that shocked me. Y'all probably talked about it at the time, but Tori had just given birth and was marveling at the baby touching her face. "Look, Erin!" Cut to an Erin/Carlin talking head and Carlin said, "Erin had to take the moment." Immediate cut to Erin sticking her hand between Tori's face and the baby so the baby could grab her finger. Carlin so totally called out Erin's narcissism in public and in such a matter-of-fact way. I wonder if that was the beginning of the problems. Again, I'm sure you guys have already talked about this, but it was the first time I saw it and whoa. Carlin called that shit out, full stop.

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 1

10 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

How much work did Gil do that he might actually have gotten a tax return?  I've heard this before but just now I was thinking how much he was really a grifter for everything.  I guess there was the tree business, but was it all that active?

They had a lot of dependents so I’m sure they always got some sort of tax return. And I’m sure Gil figured out a way to get as much as possible with write offs. I’m not saying they got giant tax returns. But they were poor and even a $300 tax return meant they had $300 to spend on ILYD.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

They had a lot of dependents so I’m sure they always got some sort of tax return. And I’m sure Gil figured out a way to get as much as possible with write offs. I’m not saying they got giant tax returns. But they were poor and even a $300 tax return meant they had $300 to spend on ILYD.

IUD > ILYD. But here we are.

• Haha 6

On 2/14/2024 at 9:06 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Since Gil was the only one working and supporting all those people at one point, they probably got Earned Income Credit as well which would have boosted the refunds.    

• Upvote 8

• Coconut Flan locked this topic