IGNORED

John and Alyssa Webster 13: The Blessed Boy Arrived

Coconut Flan

I have a porch, a patio, and a lanai.  I definitely do not have a veranda(h).  I don't usually call the lanai a lanai because we aren't in Hawaii or Florida where use of the term is more frequent.  It sounds a little pretentious here.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

We just call it a deck, unless we are in Hawaii, in which case it's a lanai. 

Growing up we had a 3 season porch/sunroom which was just a back porch that was enclosed and had removable clear panels that went over the screens. No one ever used it, because it was behind the house and guests tend to prefer to hang out in the front of the house. For whatever reason. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Karma said:

It’s verandah in Australia ;) 

Yep a verandah or Deck in australia 

I have  a sign on my Deck that says Krissy's Deck est 2015 I like big decks 

lol 

All this Deck convo reminds me of the way Kiwi's say deck....

oh and the first time I heard the word Lanai was on golden girls and I was like 'the what??' its a patio area 

Edited by AussieKrissy
add stuff
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

40 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

Yep a verandah or Deck in australia 

I have  a sign on my Deck that says Krissy's Deck est 2015 I like big decks 

lol 

All this Deck convo reminds me of the way Kiwi's say deck....

oh and the first time I heard the word Lanai was on golden girls and I was like 'the what??' its a patio area 

I’m a Kiwi and thought he was South African until he held up the paint can 😂

Just to ruin the fun, I have never heard anyone call that stuff in the tube caulk - even though I know a lot of builders. 

(And we don’t have squirrels) 

Still a funny skit 😉

• Love 2

Just now, Mrs Ms said:

I’m a Kiwi and thought he was South African until he held up the paint can 😂

Just to ruin the fun, I have never heard anyone call that stuff in the tube caulk - even though I know a lot of builders. 

(And we don’t have squirrels) 

Still a funny skit 😉

Its funny when I was overseas, I heard someone talking and was like ohhh a fellow Aussie. They kept talking and I was like ohhhh no a South African. Similar in France, chatting to a guy, asked him where in Australia he was from and he was highly offended and told me he was a Kiwi. As soon as he said that, I could hear his accent. Before those points in time, I could never understand how people could not differentiate accents. Now I do realise how similar they are.  

• Upvote 5
  • Love 3

My Southern is showing no a veranda is not a deck.  Verandas have a roof and are more of a  wrap around porch with a railing.  A lanai is not a patio..  Patios don't have regular roof and a lanai does and lanais have walls usually on at least one side and may have windows or removable panels.   A US patio is more like a slab of concrete, stone, or other solid material and might have a slatted roof or an umbrella,, but not an actual roof..   

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 3

I have a porch. Because I'm in New Mexico (few mosquitos), there's lattice work instead of screening. Unfortunately, that doesn't keep out black widows, scorpions, tarantulas, tarantula hawk wasps, and giant desert centipedes. But hey, winter is very mild!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Kiki03910 said:

Unfortunately, that doesn't keep out black widows, scorpions, tarantulas, tarantula hawk wasps, and giant desert centipedes.

I could take or leave most of these, but I love me some big beautiful tarantulas.  My Arizona blond, Portia, is the princess of our invertebrate collection.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 4

10 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

I have a porch, a patio, and a lanai.  I definitely do not have a veranda(h).  I don't usually call the lanai a lanai because we aren't in Hawaii or Florida where use of the term is more frequent.  It sounds a little pretentious here.

I have a lanai and I don't live in Hawaii or Florida either. And yes, my kids think it is pretentious to call it a lanai but I don't care. Every time I go out onto the lanai, I think of The Golden Girls, and it makes me happy. I've even gone so far as to take a slice of cheesecake to eat out there just for giggles.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 8

If I could have cheesecake I would, too. Perhaps I should call bakeries to see if anyone make soy "cheese"cake.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

I could take or leave most of these, but I love me some big beautiful tarantulas.  My Arizona blond, Portia, is the princess of our invertebrate collection.

Tarantulas are the only creatures on my list that I don't mind. They're kind of gorgeous, and also just shy creatures trying to live their lives. My cats think they're toys, unfortunately, so I try to shoo away the rare guest.

17 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

If I could have cheesecake I would, too. Perhaps I should call bakeries to see if anyone make soy "cheese"cake.  

Might this work for you?

https://www.delish.com/cooking/nutrition/a29369129/vegan-cheesecake-recipe/

I've been vegetarian for years, including a few years as a vegan, but never learned how to make good vegan desserts other than Moosewood's famous chocolate cake. I don't have a sweet tooth, though. More like a hot pepper tooth!

(Currently in my oven: potato, cauliflower. and tofu roasting in extra-hot sambal lol.)

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

8 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

If you can have coconut, Daiya makes a pretty decent frozen "cheesecake" that you can get at most grocery stores: https://www.godairyfree.org/product-reviews/daiya-cheezecake

If you specifically need soy, Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese works well to make your own. It's not quite as dense as real cheesecake but it tastes delicious. I've subbed it 1:1 in several different recipes and it's worked fine. 

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5

Hmm-

CA girl here. We live on the central coast and have a backyard deck, which we rarely ever use because it’s just not warm enough here to sit outside, and if it is, we just go to the beach which is a short 3 minute walk down a path. Our home used to have 2 covered porches off the front of the house but we enclosed them to make a dining room and upstairs laundry room.

Our home in So America has multiple, covered, outdoor living areas. None with windows. Not sure what they would be called.  The coastal, tropical, weather is wonderfully accommodating for outdoor living. Off our dining/living room we have floor to ceiling doors that fold/open. 

We also have a covered, brick patio in our backyard.

My husband refers to all outdoor living areas as decks.

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Its funny when I was overseas, I heard someone talking and was like ohhh a fellow Aussie. They kept talking and I was like ohhhh no a South African. Similar in France, chatting to a guy, asked him where in Australia he was from and he was highly offended and told me he was a Kiwi. As soon as he said that, I could hear his accent. Before those points in time, I could never understand how people could not differentiate accents. Now I do realise how similar they are.  

I met an Aussie guy a fews days ago. Couldn't pinpoint his accent at first, then immediately clocked him as an Aussie once he said the word "arvo". 😂😂😂

• Haha 2
  • Love 1

We live in Florida and have a lanai, officially per the floorplans. We have a motorized screen for it, so can sit without being bothered by bugs, or letting the cats "outside" without them chasing lizards/running away/etc.

Growing up we had a room in our house that had ceilings the height of two stories, with windows everywhere. My mom called it her solarium. Even at aged 11, I knew that sounded pretentious 🤣 but it brought her joy, so where's the real harm in that.

image.png.cfbbc3b837b169c13c3705daba45730a.png

• Upvote 5

We are a simple people here in the Midwest 😂 We have porches, decks, patios, and if you’re super fancy you have a 3 seasons room! Which I guess is a sunroom? 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

We've seen on this thread that while words have meaning many people do not use them correctly. 

Golden Girls "lanai."

image.png.9430959445e9f8dfbf76abea20779181.png

Sample builder lanai:

image.png.d9374e2038be096931a8ea5959a94eed.png

I always side-eyed using lanai on GG.  It's a nice patio.  The builder sample is more elaborate than many I've seen.

• Upvote 4

I have a semi-enclosed balcony, which on my floor plan is called a loggia. That was a new word for me. 

On 9/28/2023 at 6:18 PM, SassyPants said:

CA girl here. We live on the central coast and have a backyard deck, which we rarely ever use because it’s just not warm enough here to sit outside,

I’m sorry, I know people experience temperature differently, but the Alaskan in me had a good laugh at anywhere in California being too cold to sit outside.  

Me the last time I visited my parents:

image.thumb.jpeg.457dd571680eda78a1d75f48f01ac199.jpeg

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 11
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

@lumpentheologie I did a double take at that too. Canadian here and I love sitting out on the deck to eat in summer. My brain then went to “is the central region never 25C or up, then?”. Perspective. 
Those of you who live in California, how cold is it right now? We’ve gone up to 12C most afternoons but mornings and evenings are cooler and are now including frost. 

• Upvote 1

Montecito forecast:

image.thumb.png.4aceb0f909f46633ff2e6413db95fa02.png

It isn't too far off the forecast for were I live.  I waited until after 5 to go outside to do a little of flower bed tending this afternoon.

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Expectopatronus said:

@lumpentheologie I did a double take at that too. Canadian here and I love sitting out on the deck to eat in summer. My brain then went to “is the central region never 25C or up, then?”. Perspective. 
Those of you who live in California, how cold is it right now? We’ve gone up to 12C most afternoons but mornings and evenings are cooler and are now including frost. 

It’s a very big area. It was ridiculously hot where I live - California Central coast - last weekend. High 90’s to 100+F . This weekend cooler but still warm, high of around 75 low in the 50’s . And we got some actual fog, which is increasingly rare. I would say it’s rarely too cold to sit outside unless it’s extremely windy or raining. I might wear a coat or heavy sweater on a chilly morning. but I wouldn’t be freezing.  I hate the heat though, so there’s that. We don’t get snow, and usually only a few days of frost in winter. Other areas of the state can have much more extreme variations. 

Edited by Mama Mia
  • Upvote 1

Eating out in the snow, on a sunny day, is a paradise. I go to the snow once a year and the first thing I do is sitting in a deck with a coffee, enjoying the views, no matter the temperature. Snow (and rain!) is declining fast in my country, due to climate change. Every time I go with my kids I can't avoid to be a bit sad because it's a matter of time no more snow here.

On 10/1/2023 at 9:16 PM, lumpentheologie said:

I’m sorry, I know people experience temperature differently, but the Alaskan in me had a good laugh at anywhere in California being too cold to sit outside.

• Love 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic