IGNORED

John and Alyssa Webster 13: The Blessed Boy Arrived

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, GreenBeans said:

Shouldn’t this be “rite of passage” (rather than “right”), because it’s like a ritual? But I’m no native speaker, so I may very well be wrong.

Lol! Yes, it's rite not right. Fortunately I've had more coffee between then and now!

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1

Alyssa's little act of rebellion in doing full-blown Halloween costumes is refreshing, and this time she went all the way - in the past they half-assed it and just out on random dresses and said "we're modern princesses!" but this time likely spent a lot of money on all those matching costumes. And you can see in the comments she got a lot of flack for it from religious "Christians".

• Upvote 9

On 10/31/2023 at 7:19 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Alyssa had everyone dress up as a theme again this year. They were all super Mario brothers characters. I was sad that no one was Yoshi. He’s my favorite. I hope her girls rebel eventually and tell her they want a different costume than the theme. 

736E67AD-B771-4A76-B4E4-686817E51EEB.jpeg

I'm gonna have nightmares about John.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5

On 4/3/2023 at 12:51 PM, catlady said:

I mentioned earlier that I had the same baby basket; here’s mine:

BAF44672-0B2C-4711-860B-F50A260C4A8F.jpeg

On 4/3/2023 at 12:51 PM, catlady said:

I mentioned earlier that I had the same baby basket; here’s mine:

BAF44672-0B2C-4711-860B-F50A260C4A8F.jpeg

Oh my gosh your cat is absolutely adorable. My cat Flick died in 2017. I miss horribly. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 11

On 4/9/2023 at 10:47 AM, tanba said:

I made the mistake of watching the latest video. A couple minutes in, Alyssa is like „last night, I did not even put him in the crib, I just held him.“ what was John, father of the years comments? „oh no, you’ve fallen for it, now you’re gonna be so attached, you’re just gonna spoil him rotten.“ I never had kids, but their son is maybe 2 weeks, right? Shouldn’t they be attached? 

edited to say: he’s three days old at this point. WTF?

On 4/9/2023 at 10:47 AM, tanba said:

I made the mistake of watching the latest video. A couple minutes in, Alyssa is like „last night, I did not even put him in the crib, I just held him.“ what was John, father of the years comments? „oh no, you’ve fallen for it, now you’re gonna be so attached, you’re just gonna spoil him rotten.“ I never had kids, but their son is maybe 2 weeks, right? Shouldn’t they be attached? 

edited to say: he’s three days old at this point. WTF?

Yes it is very normal. My husband and I just have one boy. He is 25 years old his name is Joshua. His job pays well and he lives in small townhouse. About 15 minutes away from my husband and I. We are very fortunate to have our granddaughter Everly. I held him all the time. Sometimes I think since I was not able to have more kids. It makes the child we did have all the more special. These fundamentalists with large families. Can’t understand how my husband and I feel about Joshua. He is our world when he walks into room our faces light up. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 6

On 11/1/2023 at 2:33 AM, medimus said:

I don't know much about sign language, but I do know that a lot of sign languages are derived from French sign language (including ASL and Irish sign language, but not British sign language). Maybe they accidentally got some pictures/video of a different sign language? But it won't be British sign language or one of it's daughter languages because they use two handed finger spelling. 

I've just had a look at ASL, ISL and FSL alphabets and the m is similar in ASL and ISL but a little different to eachother, FSL is quite different.

Yikes! My hands got tired with one hand fingerspelling!

I agree- they probably purchased "sign language cards" without checking to see what version of sign. Even in the US, there are regional variations (in words not letters) and how words are signed in ASL and SEE. Not just as easy as picking up some flashcards! But I applaud that they are showing interest in learning another language.

• Upvote 2

This week's video.. They went trick or treating. They had Allie practice saying thanks for the candy and giving some "track/tract" to the person. What are those things? Some kind of church pamphlet??

Edited by gobucks
  • Upvote 1
  • Disgust 2
  • Eyeroll 4
  • WTF 1

29 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

@gobucksit's a piece of paper that is basically like: are you not saved? follow jesus! (obviously many variations exist but like the basics!)

Yep. Kids throw them away. They are pointless. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yep. Kids throw them away. They are pointless. 

As I understand the post, Allie took candy and passed out tracts.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, marmalade said:

As I understand the post, Allie took candy and passed out tracts.

To adults that gave her candy? How weird. I’m sure the adults threw them away too 

• Upvote 7

22 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

To adults that gave her candy? How weird. I’m sure the adults threw them away too 

I bet they did. But they had to remain polite and accept them otherwise they'd look bad in front of kids.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, marmalade said:

I bet they did. But they had to remain polite and accept them otherwise they'd look bad in front of kids.

Exactly. And fundies know that. Fundies are good at forcing their kids to do their dirty work.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

7 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Exactly. And fundies know that. Fundies are good at forcing their kids to do their dirty work.

Yup. I was just thinking the same thing. 

• Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yes, she would go to the house, say trick or treat, get the candy, say thanks and hand the adult the tract so giving a track to an adult at every house she trick or treated. 

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • WTF 1

On 11/1/2023 at 1:58 PM, GreenBeans said:

Shouldn’t this be “rite of passage” (rather than “right”), because it’s like a ritual? But I’m no native speaker, so I may very well be wrong.

You are right!

Assuming they trick or treated in Dan Webster's district, people might have received a buttload of tracts before the night was through. Some might have even thought it was cute. 

It wouldn't happen where I live, not a chance, but if it did, I would be really pissed for the child. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, marmalade said:

Not necessarily. Just say, "No thank you, honey. Happy Halloween!" That's polite and doesnt' look bad.

56 minutes ago, Keys said:

Why are they called tracts? I’ve never heard that term before 

It's an old thing but still used. They are religious pamphlets that are usually about if you are going to heaven if you died now or other religious propaganda. The ones the girls handed out looked like million dollar bills. Some fundies use the money looking ones to leave as a tip for a server. Sometimes they drop them on the ground to look like lost money. People will pick them up thinking that is a $5, $10, $20 or whatever. They are sold through a lot of companies. Sometimes they have a church name and info on them.

They get the name because they are a condensed version or shortened version of the Bible. 

Edited by rebeccawriter01
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

3 hours ago, marmalade said:

I’m not sure if I would have. It’s not the kid’s fault, but I probably would have told the parents (not the child!) in very clear words how impolite it is to hijack people with proselytizing who simply want to pass out candy and only opened the door for that purpose.

To the child I would probably have said something like: “No thank you, I’m only here to pass out candy tonight.”

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

34 minutes ago, GreenBeans said:

I’m not sure if I would have. It’s not the kid’s fault, but I probably would have told the parents (not the child!) in very clear words how impolite it is to hijack people with proselytizing who simply want to pass out candy and only opened the door for that purpose.

To the child I would probably have said something like: “No thank you, I’m only here to pass out candy tonight.”

In watching the video, it appears that John and Alyssa stayed very far back from the houses - at the street while the girls went to the front doors. Another family was with them. I am guessing someone or several people said something. However, they weren't going to show that part in the video.

It just goes to show that while people praise the Bates grown children for breaking away from IBLP - they are still problematic with their beliefs and behaviors despite wearing pants and owning televisions.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

In watching the video, it appears that John and Alyssa stayed very far back from the houses - at the street while the girls went to the front doors. Another family was with them. I am guessing someone or several people said something. However, they weren't going to show that part in the video.

It just goes to show that while people praise the Bates grown children for breaking away from IBLP - they are still problematic with their beliefs and behaviors despite wearing pants and owning televisions.

Still, just the costumes and going trick or treating seems like a really huge leap to normalcy for them. Jinger and Jeremy also took their kids trick or treating and there are a ton of super angry comments on her insta post. The evangelicals and fundamentalists REALLY have a problem with Halloween. She might as well have fed her kids directly to Hilary Clinton in a Satanic blood sacrifice for how riled up some of them get. 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 6

ISB, I thought she had the kids hand out the tracts as a way to neutralize the criticism the fact they went trick or treating.   

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 2

It isn't all evangelicals opposed to Halloween.  It's the far more conservative ones.  Our closest evangelical church held a trunk or treat in their parking lot.  

• Upvote 7

• Coconut Flan locked this topic