IGNORED

John and Alyssa Webster 13: The Blessed Boy Arrived

Coconut Flan

I attended a French pedagogy workshop once and one of my classmates was from Baton Rouge. She blew all of our minds when she told us that she had never seen snow and didn’t own mitts. Perspective is a funny thing when it comes to weather. 

• Upvote 8

As a teenager I realized that some people live their whole lives in climates that are never uncomfortably cold, and that blew my mind. But on the other hand for years I considered being uncomfortably hot an exotic and interesting experience. Then I started perimenopause and now I can’t imagine how I ever felt that way 😂

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Expectopatronus said:

I attended a French pedagogy workshop once and one of my classmates was from Baton Rouge. She blew all of our minds when she told us that she had never seen snow and didn’t own mitts. Perspective is a funny thing when it comes to weather. 

Gloves - I own a pair at least I think I still do.  I have a winter coat and some years I actually wear it a time or two usually when I'm visiting the daughter who lives partway up a mountain.  It has snowed where I live once in the last 40 years.  I didn't even put on a jacket to walk outside and look at it.

• Upvote 4

In the 15ish years since I graduated college up north and moved to Florida, I've slowly gotten rid of most of my cold-cold weather gear. We're going to visit friends in Germany for Christmas markets in December and I've had to rebuy a lot of the things I gave away. I've purchased more thermal base layers and wool socks and winter boots in the last two months than in the last 15 years, but I'd rather spend  the money and be warm than cheap out and freeze. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

As a teenager I realized that some people live their whole lives in climates that are never uncomfortably cold, and that blew my mind. But on the other hand for years I considered being uncomfortably hot an exotic and interesting experience. Then I started perimenopause and now I can’t imagine how I ever felt that way 😂

I grew up mostly in northern New England, with some years in Maryland and northern New Mexico. My bf and I have lived in southern NM for years now. Summer is long and winter is pretty mild. But as lumpen says, perimenopause changes shit. This summer felt like a 5-month-long hot flash ffs.

*lounges around in profane tank top and sheer lounge pants and sips bubbly on ice*

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

Do you get snow in NM? It’s a state that I have always been interested in visiting. I do have a snake phobia though. Would desert hikes be safe or am I guaranteed to run into one camping/hiking? 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, nolongerIFBx said:

I've got some concerns about the ASL alphabet they are learning. That's close but not how you sign M.

Yea, I don’t sign m like that either!

• Upvote 3

Alyssa had everyone dress up as a theme again this year. They were all super Mario brothers characters. I was sad that no one was Yoshi. He’s my favorite. I hope her girls rebel eventually and tell her they want a different costume than the theme. 

736E67AD-B771-4A76-B4E4-686817E51EEB.jpeg

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3

19 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Alyssa had everyone dress up as a theme again this year. They were all super Mario brothers characters. I was sad that no one was Yoshi. He’s my favorite. I hope her girls rebel eventually and tell her they want a different costume than the theme. 

736E67AD-B771-4A76-B4E4-686817E51EEB.jpeg

My family and our best friends did a Mario theme too. Our friends' son wanted to be Yoshi and we could not find one that wasn't over $50. I guarantee my internet sleuthing is far superior to Alyssa's😂

• Upvote 6

9 hours ago, nolongerIFBx said:

I've got some concerns about the ASL alphabet they are learning. That's close but not how you sign M.

I don't know much about sign language, but I do know that a lot of sign languages are derived from French sign language (including ASL and Irish sign language, but not British sign language). Maybe they accidentally got some pictures/video of a different sign language? But it won't be British sign language or one of it's daughter languages because they use two handed finger spelling. 

I've just had a look at ASL, ISL and FSL alphabets and the m is similar in ASL and ISL but a little different to eachother, FSL is quite different.

• Thank You 1

The costumes are cute. They wore Frozen costumes once, Paw Patrol other time... They seem to enjoy Halloween a lot. I think doing a theme costume party is funny for the kids. I've done it with my kids a couple times and they really enjoyed it, even the teenager.

Maci has her pacifier back. While it is not the best for her (due to her age), I take it as an evidence that Websters are relaxing their parenting. I suppose the girl was too distressed when they tried to quit the pacifier and are taking a longer (but softer) way to deal with it.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Maci has her pacifier back. While it is not the best for her (due to her age), I take it as an evidence that Websters are relaxing their parenting. I suppose the girl was too distressed when they tried to quit the pacifier and are taking a longer (but softer) way to deal with it.

I think they were probably just being lazy and it’s more convenient for perfect smiley pictures to just let her have the pacifier.

• Upvote 2

From what I gathered perfectly straight teeth are a big thing in the US. It seems most people seem to do orthodontic work on their teenagers if there is an actual medical need or not. Almost like a right of passage. So it really doesn’t matter if she had the dummy because I am pretty sure the Websters will have all their girls in braces anyway.

• Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, just_ordinary said:

From what I gathered perfectly straight teeth are a big thing in the US. It seems most people seem to do orthodontic work on their teenagers if there is an actual medical need or not. Almost like a right of passage. So it really doesn’t matter if she had the dummy because I am pretty sure the Websters will have all their girls in braces anyway.

"Right of passage" is a great way of saying it. I'd venture to guess a shocking number of adults in the US probably don't even realize there are times when orthodontia is medically recommended. 

• I Agree 2

1 hour ago, just_ordinary said:

In my experience children/teens will have orthodontia if there is a medical reason or fairly significant cosmetic reason. I can’t imagine anyone paying all that money - they are very expensive! Even with insurance! And hassle, and visits - just as a “right of passage”  Why?  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

In my experience children/teens will have orthodontia if there is a medical reason or fairly significant cosmetic reason. I can’t imagine anyone paying all that money - they are very expensive! Even with insurance! And hassle, and visits - just as a “right of passage”  Why?  

It’s a right of passage for certain groups in the US. Solidly middle class, upper middle class, and wealthy all get braces or invisiline whether it’s needed or not. When something is the norm in their social class and parents can afford the payments, it will happen. It’s actually a marker of class in the US. It’s why so many people will associate crooked teeth with being poor. I’m not saying it’s right. I’m just saying the way it is currently. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

One of ours medically needed braces (three rounds in fact) and it didn't seem right not to give the others straight teeth also.  They both also wanted straight teeth as all their friends had braces.  We had a family discount and the second two didn't require a lot of work plus I was going with child one anyway so very few extra trips.  Child two was less than half the price of child one and child three was about a third the cost.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Most people? Most people can barely afford to contribute to retirement or pay for groceries. Let alone pay thousands to an orthodontist.

When they can, however, it's a good thing.  A good bite is very important for dental health. Misaligned teeth is very bad for dental health. 

Certainly there are cases where it's done for entirely cosmetic reasons. Usually it's a combination of both. But even if it's done for cosmetic reasons, so what? Straight teeth look better, and build confidence. People take better care of their teeth if they're proud of them., and that's a good thing. There's a connection between poor dental health and future cardiac issues.

I'd rather see parents getting braces for their kids than paying for breast implants or nose jobs. 

It isn't teens, btw. Usually the work is started much earlier.

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s a right of passage for certain groups in the US. Solidly middle class, upper middle class, and wealthy all get braces or invisiline whether it’s needed or not. When something is the norm in their social class and parents can afford the payments, it will happen. It’s actually a marker of class in the US. It’s why so many people will associate crooked teeth with being poor. I’m not saying it’s right. I’m just saying the way it is currently. 

Wow, quite a broad statement! Have you been to a middle school in a wealthy area recently? Some of the kids have braces, but far from all. No one cares, one way or the other. 

You know what's a status symbol in a wealthy area? Making the traveling soccer team. Getting a new phone. Clothes from a  fancy brand. A top-tier computer. A high end video game. Working out with a trainer to get better at your sport. Winning an athletic scholarship. Having a car to drive.

When you were a kid, did you long to go to the ortho and have him stick his fingers in your mouth? Most kids aren't interested in this. Kids who have this done are hardly the subject of envy--maybe minor curiousity, but that's it.

Rich people don't look in other kids' mouths. No one cares. Braces don't just take money, they take time. Rich people are relieved when there's no need to cart the kid to ortho appointments. 

• Upvote 2

I actually had rather straight teeth naturally. My problems were mostly with a molar that refused to come down. So if you look at my before and after pics of my teeth, they look very similar in the front. Very little change. And I had braces from sophomore year in HS to sophomore year in college. I felt like the only person in my college with braces. I was so glad to get them off!

• Love 3

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I actually had rather straight teeth naturally. My problems were mostly with a molar that refused to come down. So if you look at my before and after pics of my teeth, they look very similar in the front. Very little change. And I had braces from sophomore year in HS to sophomore year in college. I felt like the only person in my college with braces. I was so glad to get them off!

I also had braces in HS and college.  From my junior year in HS, until either my junior or senior year in college, forget exactly.  Both my top and bottom jaws were very narrow, so, for several months before the braces I had to wear a dental appliance that widened my jaw.

• Upvote 3

Shouldn’t this be “rite of passage” (rather than “right”), because it’s like a ritual? But I’m no native speaker, so I may very well be wrong.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 2

34 minutes ago, GreenBeans said:

Shouldn’t this be “rite of passage” (rather than “right”), because it’s like a ritual? But I’m no native speaker, so I may very well be wrong.

I wasn’t going to correct anyone, but if non-native speakers are wondering, yes, it’s rite of passage.

Edited by lumpentheologie
  • Upvote 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic