IGNORED

John and Alyssa Webster 13: The Blessed Boy Arrived

Coconut Flan

Just now, SassyPants said:

I get not being able to spell, like mixing up the order of the letters, but MID EVIL? Come on- 

And didn’t grandpa Taliban graduate from GA Tech with a degree in electrical engineering? He is no dummy, but Alyssa just isn’t intellectually intelligent. And worse, she doesn’t care.

The one thing about her not caring is that at least ignorance for her is bliss.

A lot of people in her position could be suffering with depression and anger towards how ignorantly she was raised but not Allyssa she is cheerfully and ignorantly raising the next Gen the same way.

Poor Allie she has already noticed... 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

14 hours ago, Giraffe said:

Oh I'm sure people like the likes of Daniel Webster's daughter-in-law absolutely believe their children are the homeschoolers that get into Ivy League schools and become brain surgeons & rocket scientists. Delusional because, hello, have any of the next generation Bates/Duggars, etc gone to an accredited institution? But they'll still bury their head in the sand and pretend they're doing it the best. 

Carlin (online, but still, accredited)

4 hours ago, nolongerIFBx said:

Carlin (online, but still, accredited)

Wait, really? I didn’t realize that. What was it?

2 hours ago, Giraffe said:

Wait, really? I didn’t realize that. What was it?

Liberty University... bible or interdisciplinary something or other. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, gobucks said:

Liberty University... bible or interdisciplinary something or other. 

Yeah, it was basically general studies. I think she was a music major at Crown, not sure how many credits she was allowed to transfer. 

• Upvote 3

On 8/12/2023 at 9:02 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

No wonder Allie says she hates homeschool. 

I do think that might be the case, but has Allie actually said that in some video posted at the internet for all to see? Why would Alyssa post something like that? Not very clever.

I watched Alyssa’s and Erin’s YouTube videos about their homeschooling. A thing that stood out to me is that Erin pointed out that the only dvds she uses are the Bible stories, while Alyssa flashed a whole set of dvds and talked about all the videos from actual classes teached at the physical Abeka school. I think Erin is a much more devoted home schooler than Alyssa, even though I think both sets of kids would be better off in a real school.

As I live in a Finland where homeschooling is almost non-exciting I have major problems understanding the variety of home school curricula in the US. Are there no standards? And to be honest, many of the Abeka look very similar to the workbooks our kids have/had in school. But of course they do a lot more than workbooks in school. I know of one family here that do homeschooling. I’ve only met and talked to them once about the matter (I knew the mom better in my youth) but I think they get all the books used in a regular school for free and the kids have to take yearly tests to check that they’ve learned what they need to learn. I don’t know how they do it, I could not. I’m grateful for our schools.

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, Cupcake79 said:

I do think that might be the case, but has Allie actually said that in some video posted at the internet for all to see? Why would Alyssa post something like that? Not very clever.

I watched Alyssa’s and Erin’s YouTube videos about their homeschooling. A thing that stood out to me is that Erin pointed out that the only dvds she uses are the Bible stories, while Alyssa flashed a whole set of dvds and talked about all the videos from actual classes teached at the physical Abeka school. I think Erin is a much more devoted home schooler than Alyssa, even though I think both sets of kids would be better off in a real school.

As I live in a Finland where homeschooling is almost non-exciting I have major problems understanding the variety of home school curricula in the US. Are there no standards? And to be honest, many of the Abeka look very similar to the workbooks our kids have/had in school. But of course they do a lot more than workbooks in school. I know of one family here that do homeschooling. I’ve only met and talked to them once about the matter (I knew the mom better in my youth) but I think they get all the books used in a regular school for free and the kids have to take yearly tests to check that they’ve learned what they need to learn. I don’t know how they do it, I could not. I’m grateful for our schools.

No, there’s not standard curriculum for homeschooling in the US. Each state has different oversight. Some states are extremely lax and you can do whatever you please. While some other states have a little bit of oversight. But you can choose any curriculum you want. Even if it’s crappy Christian homeschool material. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Cupcake79 said:

In a recent q+a on YouTube, the question was "do you like being homeschooled?". 

Allie said NO. 

So, yes, she posted it for everyone to see. 

And yes, I think we have established that Alyssa is not very clever. 😬

Edited by gobucks
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 4

Here’s a very basic map homeschool regulation by map. You’ll notice that most of the fundies we talk about on FJ live in the low or moderate states. I’m not surprised Jill Rod moved out of NY state years ago. 

352F70D0-8416-47BF-9222-390F0741D120.jpeg

• Thank You 6

10 hours ago, Cupcake79 said:

If you look at Erin's schedule, the first three lessons are video lessons. Then later on, the piano lessons are done via facetime.

Erin posts content that shows her doing 1-on-1 but her kids are online a LOT for school. She just hides it better.

• Upvote 6

This week's video~ Allie read the whole Bible in a year so John gave her $100! John complains about the costs of faucets. Apparently, $200 is too much for a faucet, but $100 is an appropriate amount to bribe your child to read the Bible. Alyssa says that it is hard to spend 1 on 1 time with each kid so you can let 1 kid run an errand to get special 1 on 1 time. Alyssa goes to Once Upon a Child to buy some stuff for Rhett and for their beach trip. They did get Allie some Nancy Drew books. 

• Upvote 7
  • Eyeroll 1

Well Alyssa, you wouldn't have the 1 on 1 time issue if you had 3 or 4 fewer kids. 🙄

Poor Allie, indoctrinated so young. 

• Upvote 11

13 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

If you look at Erin's schedule, the first three lessons are video lessons. Then later on, the piano lessons are done via facetime.

Erin posts content that shows her doing 1-on-1 but her kids are online a LOT for school. She just hides it better.

I feel so sorry for these kids. Not only because the lack of education, but also because they have to be in front of screens all day. During Covid days, I had some seminars and workshops via zoom which normally would have been in person. Even for me as an adult, it was TOUGH listening to a video conference all day, with no interaction with others (as you normally would during breaks). I can’t imagine having to sit through videos day after day for hours.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2

59 minutes ago, GreenBeans said:

I feel so sorry for these kids. Not only because the lack of education, but also because they have to be in front of screens all day. During Covid days, I had some seminars and workshops via zoom which normally would have been in person. Even for me as an adult, it was TOUGH listening to a video conference all day, with no interaction with others (as you normally would during breaks). I can’t imagine having to sit through videos day after day for hours.

Especially piano lessons! 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, gobucks said:

This week's video~ Allie read the whole Bible in a year so John gave her $100! John complains about the costs of faucets. Apparently, $200 is too much for a faucet, but $100 is an appropriate amount to bribe your child to read the Bible. Alyssa says that it is hard to spend 1 on 1 time with each kid so you can let 1 kid run an errand to get special 1 on 1 time. Alyssa goes to Once Upon a Child to buy some stuff for Rhett and for their beach trip. They did get Allie some Nancy Drew books. 

I wonder what Bible.  In 6th grade (age 11 or so) after an inspiring message from a guest speaker, I decided to read it. I got to Genesis 19 where two daughters get their dad drunk so they can sleep with him and was like “WHOA!”  I didn’t finish anymore after that weird story.  11 yr old me couldn’t handle it .  And it’s all 50 yr old me thinks about when someone talks about how great it is and everyone should read it.  
~~~
But yeah, for the Nancy Drew books.  Pretty harmless.  50 yr old me still loves ND.  I have most of them.  

Edited by Tdoc72
  • Upvote 19
  • I Agree 1

That homeschool regulation map is interesting.  I homeschool in Massachusetts , which is listed as "high regulation," but I live next to the New Hampshire border so our social circle is a pretty even mix of people from both states.  And I always got the impression the NH folks had to do more than us.  In MA we can choose to submit standardized test scores, have an interview with a third party evaluator, or submit a progress report with some student work samples.  Pretty much everyone goes the progress report route.  If writing a few sentences about what we did in each subject and attaching a writing sample and a couple pages from a math workbook is "high regulation," now I am wondering about everywhere else.  (My NH friends talk much more about testing and making portfolios to be evaluated by an approved third party; I literally know no one in MA who chooses those options, which makes me suspect they are required in NH.  Now I need to ask someone to satisfy my curiosity....)

• Upvote 5

I really hope Allie was reading a children’s Bible and not the KJV, but I have my doubts. She’s what, 8? I cannot imagine it being a good idea for an 8 year old to read the Bible at all, really, except for maybe select passages. At 8 kids are not ready for the language or the metaphors and analogies, and they have no context for understanding what the stories mean. As other people have mentioned, there is a lot of rape, incest, genocide, mass death, etc in the Bible — not appropriate topics for a young child, especially one who doesn’t get enough attention to actually discuss these things with her parents. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 3

6 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

I wonder what Bible.  In 6th grade (age 11 or so) after an inspiring message from a guest speaker, I decided to read it. I got to Genesis 19 where two daughters get their dad drunk so they can sleep with him and was like “WHOA!”  I didn’t finish anymore after that weird story.  11 yr old me couldn’t handle it .  And it’s all 50 yr old me thinks about when someone talks about how great it is and everyone should read it.  
~~~
But yeah, for the Nancy Drew books.  Pretty harmless.  50 yr old me still loves ND.  I have most of them.  

I guarantee the vast majority of the Bible went way over her head. She read the words, but she didn’t understand what she was reading. What’s the point? Oh yeah, to brag to all your Christian friends and family. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, 4boysmum said:

That homeschool regulation map is interesting.  I homeschool in Massachusetts , which is listed as "high regulation," but I live next to the New Hampshire border so our social circle is a pretty even mix of people from both states.  And I always got the impression the NH folks had to do more than us.  In MA we can choose to submit standardized test scores, have an interview with a third party evaluator, or submit a progress report with some student work samples.  Pretty much everyone goes the progress report route.  If writing a few sentences about what we did in each subject and attaching a writing sample and a couple pages from a math workbook is "high regulation," now I am wondering about everywhere else.  (My NH friends talk much more about testing and making portfolios to be evaluated by an approved third party; I literally know no one in MA who chooses those options, which makes me suspect they are required in NH.  Now I need to ask someone to satisfy my curiosity....)

I’m in California and our homeschool process consisted of filling out a 1 page on-line form saying we were going to homeschool. I think there may have been a few questions about what we planned to teach, or that we agreed to teach all the required subjects, and you’re supposed to keep track of attendance. That’s it. No curriculum details. Nothing to do after you file the form. I don’t recall if it’s annual or one time per kid. 

BUT we also have a ton of public charter schools that are home based.  Some have brick and mortar classrooms where you can get materials , meet with credentialed teachers weekly or monthly and take specific classes or clubs. But still do as much as you want at home, and with the materials you choose. There is also a state paid free credentialed online program where kids check in with teachers. They provide computers and internet as well if the family can’t afford it.  

• Upvote 3

On 8/18/2023 at 12:38 AM, Cupcake79 said:

The way Alyssa is doing homeschooling is accredited (https://academy.abeka.com/about/AccreditationStatement.aspx), though, and if Erin is not using the DVDs, even if she is using ABeka books, it is not. My niblings used the DVDs even though my siblings preferred to teach themselves (and could have done so) but wanted the niblings schooling to be accredited.

(This assumes that Alyssa gets the complete accredited package not just uses the ABeka DVDs without enrolling the students in the accredited program.)

Edited by nolongerIFBx
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

On 8/19/2023 at 2:53 AM, Tdoc72 said:

~~~

Yes, 60 yr old me loves the Nancy Drew books too!  

• Love 4

9 minutes ago, Tangy Bee said:

I'm just proud Allie can read. Alyssa must be doing something right.

I am not surprised since she’s the oldest. She’s the one who has gotten the most attention from Alyssa. She was being taught alone her first year of homeschooling. The oldest kids may have the most responsibility and the most parentified, but I think they also get the best educations. Which aren’t great. But much better than the younger siblings lost in the chaos. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 7

8 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I am not surprised since she’s the oldest. She’s the one who has gotten the most attention from Alyssa. She was being taught alone her first year of homeschooling. The oldest kids may have the most responsibility and the most parentified, but I think they also get the best educations. Which aren’t great. But much better than the younger siblings lost in the chaos. 

All those kids are taught alone, taught by their videos. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 3

This week's video~ They went on a lake day with friends or family. Kids memorized Bible verses for Awanas class at church. Alyssa had hives on her hands back in July at the farm. Apparently, it has now turned into chronic contact dermatitis on her hands. The dermatologist said around her nail beds are peeling and red because of dishes, chores, cleaners, etc. Derm called it "mom hands". She got cream and medicine. She is now using gloves to clean bathrooms and do dishes to help. Mia went to the groomer and later that day, she was squinting one eye. They had to take her to the vet and she had scratches on her eye. Could have been groomer, could have been herself with her paws, could have been when she was digging in the trash can. She got eye drops and had a cone. It helped. She looked better by the end of the video. Hope they aren't taking her to a bad groomer! Poor pup! 

• Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic