IGNORED

Sister Wives 8: And Another One Down, Another One Bites the Dust?

Coconut Flan

11 hours ago, TN-peach said:

Y'all! The second tell all spilt some tea about how the whole show has been a sham.  Kody melted down Meri's wedding ring after meeting Robyn.  Meri has been pushed out since the very beginning of the show which is the very beginning of Kody and Robyn's relationship.  No wonder she was vulnerable to the catfish - her husband abandoned her years ago. 

The ring melting, the legal divorce - Meri the writing was on the wall for so long but because of this cult they are in she couldn't leave because she didn't know any better. 

The above Kody Sims reminds me of when SingSingSing posted her hilarious Sims Fundie game? It was so great. I was sad when it ended.

But back to the recap. You cannot tell me that one person and one person only didn't push lovesick Kody to trash his ring. And would that be the person for whom the melted ring was made into rings for her daughters?

I think it took Robyn hardly any effort to get Kody to discard Meri. She immediately went to work planting discord and turning Kody against Christine because she was jealous and to punish Christine for being vocal about her (well-founded) concerns. Breaking up Kody and Janell took longer and more patience. She did it by going after Janell's kids.

So my point is: this crazy b---- spent more than a decade splintering the family so she can whine and cry and push Kody to reconcile with the wives she worked so hard to displace.  Maybe Robyn doesn't know what she wants.

I can't believe the producers thought watching this horrid, selfish man abuse and neglect his wives and kids, pant like a dog in heat over a greedy youger woman, and make his pregnant wife out to be the bad guy because she didn't like being abandoned, would make polygamy seem like a positive experience. The show was supposed to be pro-polygamy. Instead it's a case study in narcissistic personality disorder and it's effect on family members.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

My guess is the only way the show goes for more seasons is if Kody suckers in another (younger, fertile) wife. Although I'm already surprised it's continued how it has so who knows? Maybe the Kody & Robyn Show is a good enough money grab for the network to keep them on. 

• Upvote 2

Initially I think Robyn saw joining the Brown family as a way to get her immediate needs met: money, housing, job, father figure for her children plus she got to be part of the public face of normalizing polygamy. Robyn probably quickly read the wives and their relationships with Kody. Robyn learned what was important to Kody and made an effort to do those things.

As time went on, I think Robyn tried to become the matriarch of the family. She tried and was successful at times in inserting herself in Kody’s other relationships under the guise of helping with communication. It took a decade for Christine and Janelle to say enough. It took a decade for Meri to realize Robyn was never her friend or ally. Once Meri’s catfishing became public, I bet she like Kody hoped Meri would leave the family so all the blame could be on Meri. Robyn probably resents Meri for sticking around and now making Robyn and Kody look bad.

I doubt Robyn thought Christine or Janelle would leave. I think Robyn hoped to create enough friction that in real life they didn’t interact outside of filming but didn’t plan for both Christine and Janelle to leave and be left looking like a villain. Maybe Robyn thought if Christine left Christine would look like the bad guy and hoped that was the reaction and it would force Janelle to play by Robyn’s rules. I think Robyn is going to struggle to strategize for how to overcome her current (or whenever the show was filmed) perception.

I think Robyn would object to new sister wives because she doesn’t want to split the money more than it is already being split. Robyn isn’t going to want to pay for essentially season one episode one Robyn, a younger woman with no or minimal income, lots of debt, crummy housing that needs upgraded for filming, younger children, or a woman who could birth another Brown.

I believe Kody fell in love with Robyn. I believe Robyn did what she felt was necessary with Kody to give her children and herself the best life possible. I don’t think Robyn enjoys having Kody around 24/7. Initially maybe it was fun, she felt powerful, but after a while that is a lot of Kody, and it was emotional, moody, I’ve been done wrong by most of my wives and children Kody which was probably a pretty miserable person to live with 24/7. Robyn made her bed, but her children didn’t get a say in it, and had to deal with all the turmoil.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5

15 hours ago, Giraffe said:

My guess is the only way the show goes for more seasons is if Kody suckers in another (younger, fertile) wife. Although I'm already surprised it's continued how it has so who knows? Maybe the Kody & Robyn Show is a good enough money grab for the network to keep them on. 

Lady year it was reported on the tabloids R&K met a potential bride from South America(?). This young lady's internal jerk alert sounded loud and true after meeting R&K, and she fled fastly back home to safety. It said this was filmed but Kody didn't want it to air.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 2

I can't imagine why Meri stayed. First of all - since Robyn, he seemed wholly uninterested in anything Meri related. But even after that - how does it work with Christine & Janelle both split and you're essentially going to your husband and his wife's house? I don't think he makes an effort to go see Meri - so does she feel like a jilted ex girlfriend who is trying to hang on? 
It's got to just be weird. 
I think they might find another wife - although why anyone would sign up for that level of crazy - I don't know. 

• I Agree 4

1 hour ago, Meggo said:

I can't imagine why Meri stayed.

Initially I think Meri stayed after the catfishing event because of Leon, money, and religious beliefs. I think Meri had a strained relationship with Leon before that, and that event surely didn’t endear Meri to Leon. Leon is the one person, the one relationship Meri really cared about, and wasn’t willing to lose. I don’t know that staying with Kody helped Meri’s relationship with Leon, but I do think it heavily influenced Meri’s decision to stay.

Second is money. Leon was college age at the cat fishing time so she wouldn’t qualify for child support and Meri was already legally divorced from Kody so she wouldn’t get spousal support. If Meri left Kody, she probably would be forced out the show. Maybe they’d have an episode or two for her to give her side of things, but they would continue on without her, and she wouldn’t be getting the TLC money. At that time, they lived in Utah, and both her and Kody’s names were on the house, so even if she sold the house, she probably wouldn’t walk away with that much money to start fresh. Meri did well with LuLaRoe for a while, but I’m not sure of the timeline, and I doubt it could compete with TLC money.

Last is religious beliefs. Meri was born and raised in polygamy; I doubt it would have been an easy decision to leave if she still at that time believed in the principle of plural marriage. I do not believe in the religion I was raised with, and it was tough for me to truly admit I am not that religion, even though I knew I didn’t agree with many important tenets of the church for years.

Plus, Meri probably carried some guilt (not that she shared it publicly) for having an emotional affair. She may be able to justify her reasons, and point out the person was a cat fisher, who set out to hurt her, and hurt others, but at the end of the day she is the one that strayed from her marriage, and especially in her religious culture that is wholly unacceptable.

The reasons I listed above are why I think Meri stayed after the cat fishing. Now I think the reasons have shifted, and I think money is the main reason Meri stayed in the past year or two. I imagine/hope Meri’s relationship with Leon has evolved, and I don’t think Kody is a big factor when I do think he was a big factor right after cat fishing. Relationships with parents change as the child grows and becomes more settled in their own life. LuLaRoe is not nearly as successful as it once was as a whole, and I’m not sure how Meri is doing, but I doubt it can compete with TLC money. I don’t think Meri wants to move to the BnB and make that her home and/or full-time job. I wouldn’t be surprised if once Meri’s mom Bonnie passed away, she felt more freedom to walk away from Kody. Over the years she may have landed on a different conclusion with her religious and marital beliefs. I’ve had a friend say she wouldn’t get divorced as long her mom was alive- so maybe it’s a stretch, but hey this is all my speculation. Meri also sees the viewers came around to see she wasn’t all terrible. I think few will defend Meri at all costs, but several viewers point out how terrible Kody and Robyn have been to Meri, and that might be the best she can hope for.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

On 12/4/2023 at 7:59 PM, Cults-r-us said:

And would that be the person for whom the melted ring was made into rings for her daughters?

I had to pick my mouth up off the floor!  Robyn had Meri's ring made into rings for her daughters?!?!?  Who the frik does that!?!?  That's sick and cruel.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6

I also don't understand why Meri is so mad at Christine.  The ring that we are talking about is the only wedding ring that Kody had right?! So Meri gave it to him but then he took on all of these other wives.  In some way, wasn't that ring also Janelle's and Christine's ring. Ultimately, the ring was Meri's but it was also the other wives' ring and the message of the ring and then the melting of the ring was a message to them all as well. 

I appreciate Christine telling us about the melting ring story because it makes the whole "it is just a cool ring, huh?" look even more stupid. 

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, TN-peach said:

I also don't understand why Meri is so mad at Christine.  The ring that we are talking about is the only wedding ring that Kody had right?! So Meri gave it to him but then he took on all of these other wives.  In some way, wasn't that ring also Janelle's and Christine's ring. Ultimately, the ring was Meri's but it was also the other wives' ring and the message of the ring and then the melting of the ring was a message to them all as well. 

I appreciate Christine telling us about the melting ring story because it makes the whole "it is just a cool ring, huh?" look even more stupid. 

Christine is a lot safer person for Meri to be mad at than Kody. Christine won't verbally mop the floor with Meri or melt her buttery soft leggings or move her banishment from belltower to barndominium.

Our dude Kodster isn't prone to original thought, so I suspect this ring melting debacle wasn't exactly his idea. And since he has no empathy or comprehension of the OG wives' emotions, I doubt he considered Meri's feelings or considered the ramifications of destroying the physical evidence of their marriage. He does shitty things without remorse to knock the wives down a notch or two as a an abusive control measure. I doubt he considered Meri out of the family, just seriously demoted, as he continued to control her for years. In fact, I recall Mykelti talking about how impossible it would be for Kody to reconcile with Meri after her horrific infidelity, so I know the Browns still considered her to be in the family.

As far as how Kody fell in love with Robyn when he has no normal feelings of attachment to other people or genuine empathy. What he, a deeply insecure man, does have is a desire to possess things he feels elevate his status, such as snagging a Diesel Jeans model who was pursued by other men. Kody fell into not love but obsession. Robyn massages his fragile ego but keeps him on his hairy toes, reminding him how she was pursued by other men, so that he remains off balance, striving to impress her.

And speaking of Robyn, our Disney villainess. She, too, has her little quirks that are deeply destructive to those around her. Just ask the Jessop family about her lying, spending and emotional treachery. Various Browns report she used fake crying and other manipulation from the start to get her way. The whole family finds her untrustworthy, deceitful and greedy.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

12 hours ago, Cults-r-us said:

I wanted to add I doubt this was the first time Robyn "joked" about leaving Kody.

That look on his face was "that is not funny." But he sure didn't say anything to her like he would have the other wives.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

We all knew that Robyn was a lying liar that lies but woo boy did she get caught in one in the most recent one on one.  That whole personality test answer session was hysterical.  "I don't remember it" "I didn't take it" "Someone took it for me." 

Oh but the test said your personality loves drama - 30 seconds later "this just isn't me being dramatic.  Thanks Christine."  What I thought you didn't take it. how do you know about the results?! 

Robyn also looked awkward as hell when discussing the gift exchange text thread.  I needed more questions about that Suki. 

I would mention the times that Kody contradicted himself but that seems to be every time he opens his mouth. 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, TN-peach said:

We all knew that Robyn was a lying liar that lies but woo boy did she get caught in one in the most recent one on one.  That whole personality test answer session was hysterical.  "I don't remember it" "I didn't take it" "Someone took it for me." 

Oh but the test said your personality loves drama - 30 seconds later "this just isn't me being dramatic.  Thanks Christine."  What I thought you didn't take it. how do you know about the results?! 

Robyn also looked awkward as hell when discussing the gift exchange text thread.  I needed more questions about that Suki. 

I would mention the times that Kody contradicted himself but that seems to be every time he opens his mouth. 

Woo boy is right. Suki, where are your clips refuting their lies? Not only the lie detector test, but last week saying she would have loved to go to Janell's rental had she only been invited. The kids have said in the past she has always used fake crying as a manipulative tool together what she wants. She'll never rehab her image by telling more and more lies, trying to distance herself from the 'Doosh and make herself look better. Too bad she hasn't used the time she gained by having a nanny to get some job skills.

As for the text thread, Pop Psych says one of the other parents should have stepped in. I disagree - control freak Robyn should have never inserted herself - and let the kids work it out.

Meanwhile, once again I observe Kody needs to see his doctor. Previously he fantasized about physically harming Christine and now he's saying he feels so angry he could punch people (his wife and kids) in the mouth if they criticize Robyn. All the wives agree his personality has changed. It seems Kody is not well physically,  mentally or both.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, Cults-r-us said:

As for the text thread, Pop Psych says one of the other parents should have stepped in. I disagree - control freak Robyn should have never inserted herself - and let the kids work it out.

Meanwhile, once again I observe Kody needs to see his doctor. Previously he fantasized about physically harming Christine and now he's saying he feels so angry he could punch people (his wife and kids) in the mouth if they criticize Robyn. All the wives agree his personality has changed. It seems Kody is not well physically,  mentally or both.

I disagreed with Pop Psych as well.  I don't think he knows that the other moms aren't/weren't on the text thread.  It was only the kids and then Robyn joined in.  I feel like the kids were probably trying to keep the moms out of it for drama's sake but that ain't possible because Robyn's kids are now bringing the drama.

Seriously, Kody who are you wanting to punch? Your ex-wives, your children, the public at large? He is someone who has been spending waaaaay too much time in the manosphere and I really think there might be something to the speculation that he is taking steriods.  All three ex-wives are saying that he has changed and I don't think he could change that much without something else happening (external influences and digesting something internally).  I think his personality has been intensified by whatever is happening and whatever "good" they saw in him has been whittled away.

I LOVED Meri's response when Suki asked her if was concerned about Kody's mental health and she was like "that's not my problem."  I forget exactly what Meri said but I was cheering her on.  Suki sure does ask a lot of dumb follow ups to Meri's comments but no follow ups to Robyn or Kody.  I want more information about the text thread, the personality test.  Come on push for some answers.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, TN-peach said:

I disagreed with Pop Psych as well.  I don't think he knows that the other moms aren't/weren't on the text thread.  It was only the kids and then Robyn joined in.  I feel like the kids were probably trying to keep the moms out of it for drama's sake but that ain't possible because Robyn's kids are now bringing the drama.

Seriously, Kody who are you wanting to punch? Your ex-wives, your children, the public at large? He is someone who has been spending waaaaay too much time in the manosphere and I really think there might be something to the speculation that he is taking steriods.  All three ex-wives are saying that he has changed and I don't think he could change that much without something else happening (external influences and digesting something internally).  I think his personality has been intensified by whatever is happening and whatever "good" they saw in him has been whittled away.

I LOVED Meri's response when Suki asked her if was concerned about Kody's mental health and she was like "that's not my problem."  I forget exactly what Meri said but I was cheering her on.  Suki sure does ask a lot of dumb follow ups to Meri's comments but no follow ups to Robyn or Kody.  I want more information about the text thread, the personality test.  Come on push for some answers.

How would you feel if you were nearly 30 and your mom was breaking into your sibling text thread to referee? I doubt Sol and Arie were on, the rest of the kids are over 18. They'll work it out or they won't. 

My neighbor's husband had a personality change and started acting like Kody. He was diagnosed with a brain tumor. I think Kody needs his lab drawn, including thyroid and vitamin levels checked. As TN-Peach says, a medication inventory. Then a trip to not-Nancy without Robyn to speak Kody for him.

I, too, loved Meri's response, "not any more" to Suki asking if she was concerned about Kody's mental status, but it made me wonder if him talking doom and gloom was not a new thing. I thought the best part of the trip to the marriage retreat (where they took the personality tests) was the therapist trying to help Kody develop empathy.

Suki must have restraints on how hard she can press K&R.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

I agree.  There must be restraints.  Wasn't it last season's one on one's when he refused to answer a question.  I forget what it was but it was actually a good question that we all wanted to hear his actual answer.  But he said "no, I am not going to answer that." and the way he fidgeted made it look like he would have gotten up and left if pressed. 

I do like the self-reflection that Christine and Janelle seem to have done.  They admitted that maybe they pushed the merger of the two families too hard on the children and maybe they have shown the children more compassion during the merger.  It sounds like they have really listened to their children and put away some of their own feelings and tried to understand what the children were going through at the same time.  It was not quite a "we were wrong" but it sure was "we could have done better" and that hopefully will go a long way with helping their children heal some of the wounds.  Robyn's kids on the other hand seem like that they are not going to get any better unless someone from the outside steps in and helps them break the emotional manipulation going on there.  I feel like they are rather hopeless and helpless right now. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, TN-peach said:

I agree.  There must be restraints.  Wasn't it last season's one on one's when he refused to answer a question.  I forget what it was but it was actually a good question that we all wanted to hear his actual answer.  But he said "no, I am not going to answer that." and the way he fidgeted made it look like he would have gotten up and left if pressed. 

I do like the self-reflection that Christine and Janelle seem to have done.  They admitted that maybe they pushed the merger of the two families too hard on the children and maybe they have shown the children more compassion during the merger.  It sounds like they have really listened to their children and put away some of their own feelings and tried to understand what the children were going through at the same time.  It was not quite a "we were wrong" but it sure was "we could have done better" and that hopefully will go a long way with helping their children heal some of the wounds.  Robyn's kids on the other hand seem like that they are not going to get any better unless someone from the outside steps in and helps them break the emotional manipulation going on there.  I feel like they are rather hopeless and helpless right now. 

Agree 100%. Being cloistered in the She-rah compound with Robyn telling them no one in the family loves them, plus being privileged and not needing jobs has not helped those girls. Nikki Haverstock had a short where she said there is an antidote on Reddit where A&B were filmed at a party, drinking and disparaging the OG wives and kids. It reported TLC and a police officer (must have been a security guard) went to the girl's house who filmed it to demand it be erased. So it appears it would help them to explore their feelings with a counselor.  If they ever get some distance from the family, they may be able to mature 

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, Cults-r-us said:

Agree 100%. Being cloistered in the She-rah compound with Robyn telling them no one in the family loves them, plus being privileged and not needing jobs has not helped those girls. Nikki Haverstock had a short where she said there is an antidote on Reddit where A&B were filmed at a party, drinking and disparaging the OG wives and kids. It reported TLC and a police officer (must have been a security guard) went to the girl's house who filmed it to demand it be erased. So it appears it would help them to explore their feelings with a counselor.  If they ever get some distance from the family, they may be able to mature 

Would they ever consider sending the girls to a Mormon college like BYU? The girls really need to get away from Robyn to gain some independence and perspective on the situation. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

One is about to graduate from NAU and the other has already begun there. Aurora may need a graduate degree so there is a sliver of hope she'll finally leave home. I wonder what David is doing.

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Would they ever consider sending the girls to a Mormon college like BYU? The girls really need to get away from Robyn to gain some independence and perspective on the situation. 

I believe that one has to be a mainstream LDS in good standing to go to BYU.

• Upvote 1

Did y'all see the preview where Robyn is tearlessly crying and insisting the OG wives meet with her off camera to concede their loss of Kody to her and tell her they are happy for K&R's coupleness? She cannot let go of her sister wives and they need to release her from the bondage of their family covenant. I think she saw how much mileage Meri got out of insisting Kody tell per publicly he didn't want her and is trying to get some storyline traction.

Robyn certainly has an inflated sense of her place in the universe. This is similar to her demand Janell's boys bow before her and grovel for her forgiveness for their disrespect; similar also to how she will not engage with the OG kids after the the infamous text thread due to lack of homage (respect).

Kody says Christine has to "trash talk" him because David wouldn't want her if he knew she left a good man. Suki's nose grew before our eyes as her credibility shrank as she lied threw her teeth and reassured Kody that he is a good man. Good grief, these people.

Kody doesn't understand other people are entitled to like who they like and do not evaluate the worth of a person in view of the goodness or badness of their formal spouse. Unless we're talking about him. Kody is entitled to see his OG wives and kids as objects he discards at will, not because they make demands on his time, but because they are bad. He sounds like he has a head injury.

• Upvote 7
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1

This week was deranged as expected. Although, David does seem very sweet.

We had our first official show mention of Leon.  Meri had referred to her kiddos before but no one had said Leon's name yet, so this is a first.

Kody thinks that if Christine is in love with David she should not be talking bad Robyn or himself anymore.  Of course, as with anything else that logic does not apply to Kody.  Kody is in love with Robyn and he of course can talk bad about his ex-wives, his children, aliens on Mars, anyone, and that is not a poor reflection on his love for Robyn or his character.

We had the return of the Christine the "shitty" sister wife and the "villain." Although, she embraced the villain role but I don't think it was so much a villain as much as "I am not his wife and I don't care and that feels soooo good to say I am giddy about it" role. 

Kody believes that Christine has been talking about him to his children because apparently they don't watch the show and don't hear him say that he is not attracted to her.  They probably also never heard that from him with their own ears or their eyes.  IT IS ALL CHRISTINE  (she is also telling Janelle's kids stuff too I guess, that must be why they don't talk to him).

And Kody mentioned again that the kids will have to come to him.  For some of them, I don't think that is coming for loooooong time. 

Edited by TN-peach
  • Upvote 8

1 hour ago, TN-peach said:

Kody believes that Christine has been talking about him to his children because apparently they don't watch the show and don't hear him say that he is not attracted to her.  They probably also never heard that from him with their own ears or their eyes.  IT IS ALL CHRISTINE  (she is also telling Janelle's kids stuff too I guess, that must be why they don't talk to him).

This was baffling to me! It's in the book! It's on the show! It's painfully clear when you see them interact. 

Did he notice that when Christine said it none of the kids seemed surprised? Not even Mitch and Tony were surprised or confused. Hell even Mykelti the self appointed family therapist and mediator (And Robyns bonus kid) was well aware that Kody was never attracted to Christine. 

Meri has seemed to be the most self assured and self aware that she's been in YEARS, I think the space from Robyn has been really genuinely good for her. 

Robyn crying that the Janelle, Christine and Meri haven't approached her off camera to give their blessing was irritating. She's concerned about betraying them and the other kids now? She didn't give a hot damn about those kids before, what's changed? Oh yeah... She's the only wife left standing and needs to keep the victim train running. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

16 hours ago, LacyMay said:

Robyn crying that the Janelle, Christine and Meri haven't approached her off camera to give their blessing was irritating. She's concerned about betraying them and the other kids now? She didn't give a hot damn about those kids before, what's changed? Oh yeah... She's the only wife left standing and needs to keep the victim train running. 

I saw an interesting tiktok from (I think she was a therapist but someone else shared the video so I couldn't see who it was) basically saying that this tactic by Robyn is typical behavior when someone has gone no contact/low contact.  They demand/manipulate the situation so that an in person meeting is the only way for there to be a resolution to their own feelings.  And that is so true in this case.  Robyn - the other ex-wives have said "we are happy for you, go and be happy." But she can't accept that because she can't manipulate their emotions when it is not in person.  Robyn you are in the one in charge of your own feelings not the other wives.  They have released you - GO!

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic