IGNORED

Jinjer 59: Cooking with Prepared Spice Mix

Coconut Flan

6 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

Also Old Testament God kinda had anger issues.. 

I laugh-reacted to this because it hit me as very funny. Problem is that I don't have enough religious knowledge to know exactly what the statement means. If I've misinterpreted your intention, my apologies.

• Upvote 1

I'm not a Bible person but am I correct in interpreting the above as J-Rod taking a very definite swipe at Jinger? Chastisement dressed up as piety?

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Does Jinger even notice what JRod says?  

Big fat no. I believe JRod burned her bridges with the Duggars. Plus JRod ruins her own credibility with her appearance and behavior. Dhe is her own worst enemy.

• Upvote 6

29 minutes ago, Cults-r-us said:

Big fat no. I believe JRod burned her bridges with the Duggars. Plus JRod ruins her own credibility with her appearance and behavior. Dhe is her own worst enemy.

Besides, I don't think Jinger reads her comments. I hope someone saw Jill's posturing, recognized her, and told her off. 

• I Agree 1

On 12/29/2022 at 6:57 AM, Bobology said:

I laugh-reacted to this because it hit me as very funny. Problem is that I don't have enough religious knowledge to know exactly what the statement means. If I've misinterpreted your intention, my apologies.

God was always smiting people and telling the Israelites to annihilate their enemies.

On 12/30/2022 at 7:04 AM, IrishCarrie said:

I'm not a Bible person but am I correct in interpreting the above as J-Rod taking a very definite swipe at Jinger? Chastisement dressed up as piety?

Quoting scriptures has long been the way Fundies/ evangelicals chastise each other. That's their reason for memorizing scripture- so they always have the right verse at the right time and in the right situation.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

15 hours ago, clueliss said:

Just stumbled across this on TikTok and thought you all would find it interesting.  He was raised ATI and is discussing Jinger’s book & John MacArthur

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRbHcDdB/

My library (that I work at) is getting the book. I put a hold on it as I have to admit, I am curious. 

• Upvote 5

I said it upthread but this book is all about Jeremy, not Jinger. It is about how he hooked a big famous fish away from ATI, and given what’s happened to the Duggars, he is a saviour. It puts him in the frame to take a lead in the church when McCarthy shuffles off.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

On 1/3/2023 at 12:47 PM, libgirl2 said:

My library (that I work at) is getting the book. I put a hold on it as I have to admit, I am curious. 

I've had an Audible subscription I just keep forgetting to cancel, and racking up credits every month. No matter how many times I try, I just cannot seem to get into books on tape - with the exception of a couple of memoirs and autobiographies. When you cancel you lose all unused credits so I went on an audio book buying spree the other day trying to use my credits up so I could cancel....and I admit that I pre bought her book because I needed to use up an already paid for credit and I'm nosy..haha. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 7

14 hours ago, LillyP said:

I've had an Audible subscription I just keep forgetting to cancel, and racking up credits every month. No matter how many times I try, I just cannot seem to get into books on tape - with the exception of a couple of memoirs and autobiographies. When you cancel you lose all unused credits so I went on an audio book buying spree the other day trying to use my credits up so I could cancel....and I admit that I pre bought her book because I needed to use up an already paid for credit and I'm nosy..haha. 

I can't retain anything I listen to. Podcasts are so popular right now but to me it just doesn't hold my attention. I had a long commute many years ago and tried audio books and it just didn't work for me. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

8 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

I can't retain anything I listen to. Podcasts are so popular right now but to me it just doesn't hold my attention. I had a long commute many years ago and tried audio books and it just didn't work for me. 

ive used audio books for years to put me to sleep. No way I could listen to the now and retain them 

I mainly like to listen to books I have already read as I find it soothing and I can pick it up anywhere and skip bits I dont like 

Harry's, Anne of Green gables, how to train your dragons and the magic far away trees are on repeat for me. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

2 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

ive used audio books for years to put me to sleep. No way I could listen to the now and retain them 

I mainly like to listen to books I have already read as I find it soothing and I can pick it up anywhere and skip bits I dont like 

Harry's, Anne of Green gables, how to train your dragons and the magic far away trees are on repeat for me. 

That's a great idea! I have such troubles with sleep, I may just try that. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

What's so crazy is that I tend to do OK with podcasts, because it's usually something that interests me. Like Counter Clock or even something totally mind numbing like Back to the Beach with Kristen & Stephen. I can really get into them, but audio books just feel so horribly produced with terrible reading that I find my mind wandering off whenever I try to listen. The voice of the reader just never sounds like I envision it should in my head!

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, LillyP said:

What's so crazy is that I tend to do OK with podcasts, because it's usually something that interests me. Like Counter Clock or even something totally mind numbing like Back to the Beach with Kristen & Stephen. I can really get into them, but audio books just feel so horribly produced with terrible reading that I find my mind wandering off whenever I try to listen. The voice of the reader just never sounds like I envision it should in my head!

I'm similar. I can usually enjoy/retain a podcast if it's an hour or less but a whole book? No way!

• Upvote 1

I seem to be in the minority here, but I love audiobooks. I always listen to them on my morning commute. I am somewhat picky about them, generally only listen to light reads that I can easily stop and go back to 2-3 days later since sometimes I feel more like listening to music rather than a book. 

• Upvote 9

11 hours ago, LillyP said:

This is exactly how I feel, I think it is because podcasts are created to be audio and books are not.

Edited by CarrotCake
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, nvmbr02 said:

I seem to be in the minority here, but I love audiobooks. I always listen to them on my morning commute. I am somewhat picky about them, generally only listen to light reads that I can easily stop and go back to 2-3 days later since sometimes I feel more like listening to music rather than a book. 

I do too. It's how I do most of my reading-- I commute roughly 45 minutes each way for work, depending on traffic, and I can get through a LOT of books in a year. I need to be doing something while I listen that doesn't require too much active thinking though (cleaning, laundry, driving, easy cooking) or my mind wanders. There definitely are books that are better read on paper, and definitely some bad readers out there, but I read across all genres of fiction and non fiction and it's a lot more good than bad for me. 

Also, I use the library app and it's all free! 

• Upvote 8

I get audiobooks for free from my library, it allows me to "read" while walking or driving. I've determined that the person who reads the audiobook is important; Bahni Turpin is such a good narrator that I've selected books simply because she reads them. I had the opposite experience with David Copperfield, the narrator droned on and it was so boring I returned it without finishing. Later I found a version read by someone else and the same story was much more interesting.

Many celebrity audiobooks are read by the author and can be just as hit or miss. Some just read their text and it's tedious, but sometimes they make the audiobook even more fun than reading it. Sharon Gless, Viola Davis, and Rosie Perez (reading Ronnie Spector's autobiography) recorded some of the most entertaining books i've listened to; even if their lives weren't interesting at the moment, the way they told the story still was. Randy Rainbow's audiobook of his autobiography includes music, sound effects, plus he got his mother to record the As in chapter that's Q&A with his mom. 

• Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, shesinsane said:

I get audiobooks for free from my library, it allows me to "read" while walking or driving. I've determined that the person who reads the audiobook is important; Bahni Turpin is such a good narrator that I've selected books simply because she reads them. I had the opposite experience with David Copperfield, the narrator droned on and it was so boring I returned it without finishing. Later I found a version read by someone else and the same story was much more interesting.

Many celebrity audiobooks are read by the author and can be just as hit or miss. Some just read their text and it's tedious, but sometimes they make the audiobook even more fun than reading it. Sharon Gless, Viola Davis, and Rosie Perez (reading Ronnie Spector's autobiography) recorded some of the most entertaining books i've listened to; even if their lives weren't interesting at the moment, the way they told the story still was. Randy Rainbow's audiobook of his autobiography includes music, sound effects, plus he got his mother to record the As in chapter that's Q&A with his mom. 

I just finished the audiobook for Jessica Simpson’s biography “Open Book” and she narrated it and I really enjoyed it! She came off as personable, real, and like she was having a genuine chat with a good friend.

• Upvote 2

On 12/23/2022 at 10:32 PM, neuroticcat said:

This excerpt sounds to me like she's about to "but ackshually" about freedom not being good after all. And we can only be free in submission to God's purposes or something like that.

I thought there were all these controls and the kids were not allowed on the internet???  

23 hours ago, LillyP said:

You must be listening to the wrong books 

David tennant is brilliant reading the how to train your dragon series

Kate winslet is amazing reading the magic faraway series 

Megan Follows is wonderful and a sentimental fav for the Annes

Both official readers for the Harry's Stephen fry and the other guy are brilliant 

There is even a couple of good readers of the Harry's on youtube, except they keep getting yanked off 

Its funny I cant listen to an Audiobook Harry that is not in a british accent, once I downloaded Pride and prejudice and it was in an american accent and I noped right out of there.

Similiarly when I secretly indulge in having the Twilights read to me (shameful I know lol) I would not like them in anything but an american accent. 

• Upvote 1

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic