IGNORED

Jinjer 59: Cooking with Prepared Spice Mix

Coconut Flan

10 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Oh and I have to add, Alyssa has been titled a superficial twit on FJ. I have to say this is a perfect instance of this. Jinger is talking about personal growth and feeling free. People like Kaeleigh Tull, Jill Duggar, and Amy are posting supportive stuff and Alyssa posts this: 

BA390B81-00BC-47A8-89CE-ECF20E655938.jpeg

Maybe she doesn't just mean it on looks but on what she is doing? 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

9 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Maybe she doesn't just mean it on looks but on what she is doing? 

From everything I’ve seen come from Alyssa, I would say it’s all about her looks. It had 2 pics of Jinger with full makeup and hair. Alyssa is incredibly superficial. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

3 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

From everything I’ve seen come from Alyssa, I would say it’s all about her looks. It had 2 pics of Jinger with full makeup and hair. Alyssa is incredibly superficial. 

Ah, I'm not super familiar with her.

2 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Ah, I'm not super familiar with her.

Feel grateful. She is probably the most superficial Bates sister. And that says a lot. Because many of them come across as very superficial. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 6

Just now, JermajestyDuggar said:

Feel grateful. She is probably the most superficial Bates sister. And that says a lot. Because many of them come across as very superficial. 

I have always gotten that vibe from them. 

• Upvote 2

Here's the video from People. You won't need to read the book after watching this. She even addresses her pedo brother.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 13

I think the superficiality gene runs very strong with many of the G-2 Bates and Duggar girls. I think many of them are hyper-focused on their “look” both their faces and bodies. I throughly respect those women who do not seem to have this tendency (Michaela, Jill, Tori, Joy)-

• Upvote 4

Mostly I find  Jinjer boring and rarely comment about her. I did see and read the People article and listened to the video of her talking and to my surprise, I could see that she has at least experienced some personal growth outside and away from being JB and Meech’s kid. She still seems very sheltered and her speech sounded almost childish but she is less trapped by the bizarro weird religious/sexual hangups she learned in her parents’ house. So the book is not the whole enchilada of revealing all the Duggars’ dirty secrets, but at least it’s something. I won’t read it tho.

One message she seems to be saying and that should come across loud and clear to the public is that she and her siblings were not allowed to question anything about their religion. They were only to tow the line. She received no personal attention concerning her fears, her doubts, her own point of view; any personal hopes or aspirations for her life were dismissed. She was told what to think, say, do and wear by JB. Her parents’ lives were about their image, they did not care about the kids as individuals. I could go on but I’m just preaching to the choir!

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 23
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Cam said:

Mostly I find  Jinjer boring and rarely comment about her. I did see and read the People article and listened to the video of her talking and to my surprise, I could see that she has at least experienced some personal growth outside and away from being JB and Meech’s kid. She still seems very sheltered and her speech sounded almost childish but she is less trapped by the bizarro weird religious/sexual hangups she learned in her parents’ house. So the book is not the whole enchilada of revealing all the Duggars’ dirty secrets, but at least it’s something. I won’t read it tho.

One message she seems to be saying and that should come across loud and clear to the public is that she and her siblings were not allowed to question anything about their religion. They were only to tow the line. She received no personal attention concerning her fears, her doubts, her own point of view; any personal hopes or aspirations for her life were dismissed. She was told what to think, say, do and wear by JB. Her parents’ lives were about their image, they did not care about the kids as individuals. I could go on but I’m just preaching to the choir!

It makes me wonder if she will vilify JB and make excuses for Michelle. When Michelle was just as all in with the rules as JB. And still is. 

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

I think the superficiality gene runs very strong with many of the G-2 Bates and Duggar girls. I think many of them are hyper-focused on their “look” both their faces and bodies. I throughly respect those women who do not seem to have this tendency (Michaela, Jill, Tori, Joy)-

I think IBLP circles push superficial looks pretty hard. Because Gothard was so extremely superficial. Literally everyone in that group knew his type. And they better look perfect if they were going to be around him. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

Will this book be a NY Times Best seller? Isn't this what alot of FJers have been waiting for? Or have we gotten impatient waiting for another Duggar to finally admit what we all knew the whole time. I thought I'd be more excited, but I'm more interested in reading this new book. The other book was so heavily discussed on the internet that I feel like I've already read it. On a positive note, Jinger looks FAB! She's come a long way from denim skirts and flip flops. Looking forward to hearing other opinions.

Edited by Tangy Bee
  • Upvote 2

I watched Jinger’s video and it was interesting the props she gave to Ben for starting to open her eyes about religion. Getting to know Ben and his family made her realize that there’s more than just her parents’ way to be a good Christian. I think Jinger has exactly the life she wants right now and won’t be too interested in more spiritual growth.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 5

5 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

I think Jinger has exactly the life she wants right now and won’t be too interested in more spiritual growth.

It’s disappointing. Because it’s like watching someone climb a mountain. She was at the base of the mountain for so long while in the Duggar home. And finally a few years ago, she starts up the mountain. But it’s almost like she got a 1/3 of the way up the mountain, looked out and said, “wow! This is such a beautiful view! I’m happy here. I’m not going to bother going any further up the mountain. It’s probably too hard and too much work. And since I’m happier a 1/3 of the way up, I’ll just stay here.” But you know she could go so much further. 

• Upvote 27
  • I Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Tangy Bee said:

Will this book be a NY Times Best seller? Isn't this what alot of FJers have been waiting for? Or have we gotten impatient waiting for another Duggar to finally admit what we all knew the whole time. I thought I'd be more excited, but I'm more interested in reading this new book. The other book was so heavily discussed on the internet that I feel like I've already read it. On a positive note, Jinger looks FAB! She's come a long way from denim skirts and flip flops. Looking forward to hearing other opinions.

We shall continue to wait. This is not a tell-all about growing up in the Duggar family/IBLP, this is about how she was raised with one flavor of Christianity but talking to her brother-in-law* helped her realize that one can be a Christian without strictly obeying all of the Duggar rules. Like an drug addict that quits drugs with the help of cigarettes, Jinger has traded one addiction Christian cult for another. 

I would be surprised if there's any blatant Duggar bashing in this book; in the video she name drops Bill Gothard so I suspect her book will scapegoat him for anything Jinger has suffereed through. When her book details how "I grew up under some harmful teaching that really threatened me to leave Jesus*," all responsibility will be heaped upon Bill Gothard and his organization, not Jim Bob and Jichelle Duggar.

*from the video, thank you @marmalade!

• Upvote 9

On 1/11/2023 at 3:10 PM, viii said:

I have tried to give audiobooks a chance, I really have. I find them so unbearable, though. Like some other people, there are sections where I will skim and you can't do that with an audiobook. Plus, I am an incredibly fast reader, and find that audio books drag. My biggest complaint though is the voices. Sometimes it's not bad, but I just find the speaker laughable during the dialogue bits and I can't take it seriously. 

I listen to audiobooks from the library while I walk. The present one has an excellent reader but the story is lame, lame, lame despite all the positive Goodreads reviews. I am going to finish it because I have reached past 50%. Everyday I turn it on and think it would be easier to visit the dentist.

7 minutes ago, shesinsane said:

I would be surprised if there's any blatant Duggar bashing in this book; in the video she name drops Bill Gothard so I suspect her book will scapegoat him for anything Jinger has suffereed through. When her book details how "I grew up under some harmful teaching that really threatened me to leave Jesus*," all responsibility will be heaped upon Bill Gothard and his organization, not Jim Bob and Jichelle Duggar.

Even if Jinger doesn’t directly bash her parents, these are their beliefs and they haven’t changed. Skirts only, courting, no birth control, no alcohol, quiverfull. They are still raising her siblings with these beliefs and the same fear of God that Jinger felt. So if she doesn’t explicitly express her feelings toward them, she still must hold them somewhat accountable.

• Upvote 14

She doesn't even look like herself on the book cover wild. 

During the video she looked so much like Joy. Like some of the rest of you, I'm fascinated by how people in families do and don't look the same.

Also it looks like they've got new custom bookshelves again. It always bothered me how they had those fancy bookshelves built in the house in TX and then shortly there after moved.

Yes, yes I'm jealous of 2 sets of custom bookshelves!

But it's ok-not in a cult. I'll keep my walmart shelves instead.

Edited by WatchingTheTireFireBurn
Typos
  • Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

She doesn't even look like herself on the book cover wild. 

During the video she looked so much like Joy. Like some of the rest of you, I'm fascinated by how people in families do and don't look the same.

Also it looks like they've got new custom bookshelves again. It always bothered me how they had those fancy bookshelves built in the house in TX and then shortly there after moved.

Yes, yes I'm jealous of 2 sets of custom bookshelves!

But it's ok-not in a cult. I'll keep my walmart shelves instead.

Nobody looks like themselves anymore in pictures. I honestly don’t think much of pictures posted on social media, book covers, or on mag websites because they are all edited and full makeup and hair can really change a face. I’m so jaded but I’m not pretty at all and I’m fat. But I can pretty much guarantee people mag could make me look gorgeous on one of their spreads. 

• Upvote 8

1 minute ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Nobody looks like themselves anymore in pictures. I honestly don’t think much of pictures posted on social media, book covers, or on mag websites because they are all edited and full makeup and hair can really change a face. I’m so jaded but I’m not pretty at all and I’m fat. But I can pretty much guarantee people mag could make me look gorgeous on one of their spreads. 

Very true. I'm so sick of the super over contoured perfect everything pictures. Everybody looks like a robot online.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 5

I actually thought Jinger looked a lot like Jill in the video.

I wonder how her bestie sister Jessa feels about this book. Although Ben has probably altered her religious views, she’s the married sister with the seemingly strongest ties to her parents and is always full of praise for them. I almost think that Jinger might be glad to have some physical distance from Jessa to not be always under her influence.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Oh and I have to add, Alyssa has been titled a superficial twit on FJ. I have to say this is a perfect instance of this. Jinger is talking about personal growth and feeling free. People like Kaeleigh Tull, Jill Duggar, and Amy are posting supportive stuff and Alyssa posts this: 

BA390B81-00BC-47A8-89CE-ECF20E655938.jpeg

Reads passive aggressive to me: I'm pointedly not going to comment on how you described my daddy's organization as a cult, but hey, your outfit looks nice!

• Haha 7
  • I Agree 6

14 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

I actually thought Jinger looked a lot like Jill in the video.

I wonder how her bestie sister Jessa feels about this book. Although Ben has probably altered her religious views, she’s the married sister with the seemingly strongest ties to her parents and is always full of praise for them. I almost think that Jinger might be glad to have some physical distance from Jessa to not be always under her influence.

I think Jessa wants her cake and to eat it too. She’s not going to rock any boats. So she won’t say anything bad about Jinger’s book and she won’t say anything bad about JB and the cult. Jessa may not attend IBLP events anymore, but I doubt she will shit all over it. She will mostly ignore the controversy of the book and just keep posting videos of her kids and house. Acting like everything is just hunky dory. 

• Upvote 18

@JermajestyDuggarI remember Jessa always being a little smart ass when people questioned their lifestyle or were concerned about them being too sheltered. So I definitely agree with you about Jessa not rocking the boat...because she claims she had a WONDERFUL childhood 🙄

• Upvote 6

Jinger says “Gee-sus” for Jesus. It’s not as weird as JRod’s “Gee-sauce,” but it’s odd. She’s “Jinger Duggar Vuolo” on the cover and in the People video, even though she doesn’t use her maiden name in real life. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s disappointing. Because it’s like watching someone climb a mountain. She was at the base of the mountain for so long while in the Duggar home. And finally a few years ago, she starts up the mountain. But it’s almost like she got a 1/3 of the way up the mountain, looked out and said, “wow! This is such a beautiful view! I’m happy here. I’m not going to bother going any further up the mountain. It’s probably too hard and too much work. And since I’m happier a 1/3 of the way up, I’ll just stay here.” But you know she could go so much further. 

i think her getting a 1/3 of the way up the mountain is huge.  i’m proud of her for breaking free and laying the path for her daughters to get to the top.  

i think of it along the lines of my grandmother leaving her country so her daughter (my mom) could have a better life and my mom working like crazy so my life will be better.  

• Upvote 23
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 2

I was pleasantly surprised by the video.  She seems like she would be a pretty decent speaker if she had a larger vocabulary.  Not being encouraged to read more growing up and having a half-assed education has limited her there, but she was engaging and not too repetitive.  She spoke at length about being exposed to more cultures and lifestyles and while I know this probably doesn't look the same for her as it does for me, I can respect an increased tolerance for others and hope it continues to progress.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 9

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic