IGNORED

Jinjer 59: Cooking with Prepared Spice Mix

Coconut Flan

15 hours ago, shesinsane said:

I get audiobooks for free from my library, it allows me to "read" while walking or driving. I've determined that the person who reads the audiobook is important; Bahni Turpin is such a good narrator that I've selected books simply because she reads them. I had the opposite experience with David Copperfield, the narrator droned on and it was so boring I returned it without finishing. Later I found a version read by someone else and the same story was much more interesting.

Many celebrity audiobooks are read by the author and can be just as hit or miss. Some just read their text and it's tedious, but sometimes they make the audiobook even more fun than reading it. Sharon Gless, Viola Davis, and Rosie Perez (reading Ronnie Spector's autobiography) recorded some of the most entertaining books i've listened to; even if their lives weren't interesting at the moment, the way they told the story still was. Randy Rainbow's audiobook of his autobiography includes music, sound effects, plus he got his mother to record the As in chapter that's Q&A with his mom. 

Amy Poehler and Tina Fey both read their own memoirs/books and they're incredibly funny to listen to. Carrie Fisher, and her daughter, read some of hers as well, and they're a delight. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

Honestly, I don't have any issues with audiobook speakers - the problem, to quote Taylor Swift, is me. I just can't focus on listening for any longer stretch of time, plus, I prefer progressing at my own speed. When I read, I can quickly skim the boring bits or linger over a well-written passage - and I can't really do that with an audiobook. Idk, maybe I'm just a visual person. I'm absolutely ready to acknowledge that there are people with wonderful voices who do an amazing job at making the stories come to life, though!

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 7

3 hours ago, Nothing if not critical said:

Honestly, I don't have any issues with audiobook speakers - the problem, to quote Taylor Swift, is me. I just can't focus on listening for any longer stretch of time, plus, I prefer progressing at my own speed. When I read, I can quickly skim the boring bits or linger over a well-written passage - and I can't really do that with an audiobook. Idk, maybe I'm just a visual person. I'm absolutely ready to acknowledge that there are people with wonderful voices who do an amazing job at making the stories come to life, though!

I have the same with YouTube videos, or any video on social media. They go on and on and on, and I'm like, literally just write the most important stuff in a paragraph so I'm not wasting 12 minutes on a video in which I could have gathered the information in one minute if you could just be concise. 

The same with those swaying/dancing videos where text pop up super slowly. Like. Just tell me what I need to know, and we can all move on with our day, instead of me watching you sway. 

Edited by SorenaJ
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 9

I have tried to give audiobooks a chance, I really have. I find them so unbearable, though. Like some other people, there are sections where I will skim and you can't do that with an audiobook. Plus, I am an incredibly fast reader, and find that audio books drag. My biggest complaint though is the voices. Sometimes it's not bad, but I just find the speaker laughable during the dialogue bits and I can't take it seriously. 

• I Agree 1

I can't do audiobooks. After a few minutes, it sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher. I normally just listen to music in the car. I can read things and easily remember them, but the only stuff I can listen to and remember is music. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5

1 hour ago, SorenaJ said:

any video on social media

Not just SM. I keep seeing really interesting stories on the BBC. And they are all bloody videos. On the rare occasions I watch them, I get irritated, as they take forever to get to the point. So, either interrupt the radio I am already listening to, or mute the video, and read the painfully slow captions? Actually, now I just see the story, google it, and find a written story to read. Which still takes less time than the bloody video. 
I listen to the radio all the time - hours of one cricket match, for days on end, and I'm fine. Podcasts are OK, as long as they get to the point, and don't have loads of random chitchat in them. I also read a lot of books. I do not like to have books read to me (with rare exceptions, like Stephen Fry or Alan Bennett reading). I can read much faster than people talk, and I retain it much better. I can't do the listening while driving thing - one minute of extra concentration on the road, and I have lost the thread of whatever I am listening to. But then, I wouldn't read while driving, so...

Obviously, other people learn and listen differently, so if it works for them, that's great. I just really wish that news, crafting, DIY etc sites would just put a written description in. I once needed to change a washing machine drawer, which took me about 3 minutes to do. I had lost the manual, and the video for my model was over 15 minutes long. Like, you really need 5 minutes to show someone which part is the detergent drawer, and how to open it?

ETA: I do have an audio book exception - if it is an autobiography read by the person, and I *like* them. So, if I could be arsed to borrow a copy of Agent Orange's autobiography (if he has even written one?) it would have to be read by, say, Hillary Clinton. Some voices are too annoying for words, and I haven't managed to listen to TFG's for more than 5 minutes total in my life, no plans to change that! (Obviously, a very extreme example, but autobiographies of people you don't like, rather than despise, can be interesting...) OTOH, just looking at Barack Obama's, and apparently he narrates it. So that is going in my basket, ASAP! 

Edited by Zebedee
Added something
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

I cooked a delicious indian Dal last weekend. And while I used Garam Masala spice because the recipe told me to use it, everything else I used from scratch. And then I realized that I have all the ingredients for the Garam Masala powder already at home in the spice cabinet. But for the first time the prepared spice mix was good, now we know how it should taste. And Mr. S. said, that it was way better than the free-style things I cooked in the last weeks, probably because I really followed the recipe. He was absolutely right, damn. But if I made a video for youtube of my dal, I would make the spices from scratch after 3 or 4 tries beforehand. It seems like Jinger tried the recipe once, and the secend time filmed it without he intention to give it her personal touch. Again she waisted an opportunity to make her cooking video more interesting. 

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, Scrabblemaster said:

I cooked a delicious indian Dal last weekend. And while I used Garam Masala spice because the recipe told me to use it, everything else I used from scratch. And then I realized that I have all the ingredients for the Garam Masala powder already at home in the spice cabinet. But for the first time the prepared spice mix was good, now we know how it should taste. And Mr. S. said, that it was way better than the free-style things I cooked in the last weeks, probably because I really followed the recipe. He was absolutely right, damn. But if I made a video for youtube of my dal, I would make the spices from scratch after 3 or 4 tries beforehand. It seems like Jinger tried the recipe once, and the secend time filmed it without he intention to give it her personal touch. Again she waisted an opportunity to make her cooking video more interesting. 

Can you share your recipe? Can DM if easier, thanks.

• Upvote 1

Give me a day or two because I need to translate it into english. I will send it to you. It is basic but really tasty.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

@SassyPants I do not need to translate the recipe because the site on the internet where I've got it from can be switched to the american version! I will put the link under a spoiler.

I followed the recipe but I used yellow lentils because I had them. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

Jinger has a story in People Magazine.   Article is dated 1/18/23 and the header is.

“Growing up under ‘cult like’ Religious beliefs: I was terrified of the outside world”

There is a video, plus some photos including one of her book.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

18 minutes ago, nst said:

Looks like Jinger wrote a book.  Or someone helped her. 

and she is exposing the faith. 

Free jinger became a reality 

Not really. She’s just moved to a new, more attractive but still toxic belief system. 

• Upvote 24
  • I Agree 1

1 minute ago, Giraffe said:

Not really. She’s just moved to a new, more attractive but still toxic belief system. 

that and it gets her money for Jeremy. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 7

Quote from People interview

Now, she's hoping to help others with her new memoir Becoming Free Indeed, in which she details leaving behind her childhood fears and embracing a new life — one still based in faith but no longer commanded by one living man.

Um...isn't Macarthurism commanded by one living man? 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 6

They believe MacArthur is basing it all on the Bible.  ;)

This kind of encapsulates the freedom belief of many of the conservative evangelical types.

The way you become free from sin is by becoming a slave to righteousness.

Paul, in one of the most quoted verses of Scripture, makes clear that every person has sinned: for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23). Indeed, your sins hold you so deeply in bondage that they bring death to you: you were dead in your sins (Colossians 2:13).

Every one of us was born a slave to sin, but God offers to free us from that. How? We can choose to become slaves to righteousness: When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the control of righteousness. ... But now ... you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God (Romans 6:20,22).

In other words, your default human nature is to follow sin and to consistently choose sin. The way you break free from sin is by following God and consistently choosing God; that is, you become a "slave" to God (to righteousness).

One of the results of being a "slave" to God is being made righteous and holy: God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God (2 Corinthians 5:21). In other words, when we are freed from bondage to sin by giving ourselves to Christ, a transaction occurs: we are changed from being sinners (i.e., slaves to sin who occasionally mess up and do something right) into being holy ones (i.e., righteous slaves to God who occasionally mess up and do something wrong).

When this transaction occurs—that is, when you become a slave to righteousness—you are made holy, made righteous, cleansed, forgiven, and freed from all sin. Therefore, the way you become free from sin is by becoming a holy one, which happens by turning your life over to Christ and wholeheartedly following Him, thus becoming a slave to righteousness.

Link to People article:

https://people.com/tv/jinger-duggar-vuolo-on-growing-up-following-cult-like-religious-beliefs/

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 6

I have been watching a guy on YouTube that’s ex fundie and he uses a lot of McArthur clips as examples of problems he sees. McArthur is a fucking trip. Ugh. He’s as insufferable as his biggest boot licker Jeremy Vuolo.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 9

It says something that at least she uses the word cult. That takes a decent amount of mental courage, imo. Hope she continues to develop critical thinking and the ability to apply it to her current situation. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 8

Jinger looks great, but I really don’t like the outfit on the cover of the book, either in general or on her. Not crazy about the denim jumpsuit either.

• Upvote 1

Interesting comment from Jill on Jinger’s Instagram post, basically offering support  and saying how proud she is. Similar from Amy. I bet Jim Bobs not happy about this book.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 8

4 minutes ago, Lollipopgirl said:

Interesting comment from Jill on Jinger’s Instagram post, basically offering support  and saying how proud she is. Similar from Amy. I bet Jim Bobs not happy about this book.

While JB might hate the book’s content, he has to understand and accept the cataly$t and outcome, money and the Vuolos need for such.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

I am sitting here thinking of a good analogy for Jinger. I guess it’s like when a fundie leaves the cult, speaks out about how horrible it is, and then joins an MLM. Jinger isn’t free. She has left IBLP but that doesn’t mean she has shunned all toxic fundie beliefs. Gothard is just one fundie leader. The Amish leave their Amish lives and become Pearl followers. Fundies leave IBLP and then become mega plexus Huns. I’m glad she is speaking out against IBLP, but with the documentary coming out, I think it will become pretty popular to speak out against it. The tide is turning for IBLP. It’s much easier and trendier to speak out against it now and make your money. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 5

Oh and I have to add, Alyssa has been titled a superficial twit on FJ. I have to say this is a perfect instance of this. Jinger is talking about personal growth and feeling free. People like Kaeleigh Tull, Jill Duggar, and Amy are posting supportive stuff and Alyssa posts this: 

BA390B81-00BC-47A8-89CE-ECF20E655938.jpeg

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Haha 17
  • I Agree 2

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic