IGNORED

Jinjer 59: Cooking with Prepared Spice Mix

Coconut Flan

57 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

The way the people who attend the church actually operate and live is they do have access to education, jobs of their choice, and choosing their own healthcare.  We always have to remember people hear things at church that they leave at the door.  Plus the church does run a university so it truly isn't opposed to education.  This is nothing like the Gothard stay away from the world and homeschool only with Wisdom Booklets.  

I always feel I need to add the disclaimer, however, this is not a church I could attend regularly and definitely never join.  But it is a regular, if conservative church.  It's a big step away from Gothard's parachurch group and the IFB.  I still don't agree with them.  

This is exactly why this church sucks so much. Because in SoCal the way it works is very much live and let live. But I can assure you that the Mac teaching that percolates elsewhere is NOT live and let live. And the Mac teaching that tore through homeschooling support groups was very much akin to Gothard and Vision Forum. It was more academic, for sure. But same damn pressures on the kids and the mothers.

I do agree that the academic focus made options different for the kids. Basically it made it so they could start Homeschooler Anonymous and such rather than go the influencer route. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

The thing is my daughter lives not close to the church, but close enough we know some members.  I definitely know they aren't buying a LOT of what he's selling.  They're just normal people.  With Jeremy so involved, I can't say Jinger is getting the same way of life, but the way many actual members live is absolutely nowhere near Duggarville.  In fact grandson is at the park right now with a family that attends Grace Church.  If they were even distantly like the Duggars he would not be associating with them.  I know it's easy to say this is what is taught,  but there is a gulf between that and the average member that we know.  Perhaps we only know the ones who are more casual attendees, but again that's allowed where IFB and Gothard people would be on their case. 

I don't agree with a goodly number of teachings at the church I attend and those things don't guide my life.  I discovered along the way that there isn't a church that I agree with 100% so I go where I like the service.  A lot of people do that and simply don't admit it openly or talk about it.  

• Upvote 12

31 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

The thing is my daughter lives not close to the church, but close enough we know some members.  I definitely know they aren't buying a LOT of what he's selling.  They're just normal people.  With Jeremy so involved, I can't say Jinger is getting the same way of life, but the way many actual members live is absolutely nowhere near Duggarville.  In fact grandson is at the park right now with a family that attends Grace Church.  If they were even distantly like the Duggars he would not be associating with them.  I know it's easy to say this is what is taught,  but there is a gulf between that and the average member that we know.  Perhaps we only know the ones who are more casual attendees, but again that's allowed where IFB and Gothard people would be on their case. 

I don't agree with a goodly number of teachings at the church I attend and those things don't guide my life.  I discovered along the way that there isn't a church that I agree with 100% so I go where I like the service.  A lot of people do that and simply don't admit it openly or talk about it.  

I don’t question your experience at all. It fits with how a lot of the celebrity pastors and/or mega churches work.

I also don’t see anything wrong with attending and supporting churches that someone doesn’t agree with 100%. I am similar in outlook because there is value to community and ritual that outweighs doctrinal tidbits.

However, it is frustrating explain to people who have only superficially encountered neo-Calvinism and the current Reformed movement how this has played out. It’s not just MacArthur but Piper and Driscoll and Chandler. There is a trail of yuck and I am not talking just about their churches but the offshoots and the subcultures.

All conservative churches are not the same.  

Starting in the early 2000’s there was a Calvinist revival within evangelical groups and a shift in terms of how many of these churches were organized and operated and internal power struggles within conventions.

So yeah. What this looks like is very different than Mac’s SoCal base.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

I don’t think Jeremy can be a casual member of any church. He’s an “all in” sort of person. If he is going to do something, he’s all in. There’s no way he’s just a casual member who can easily leave some of the beliefs at the door. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

21 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I don’t think Jeremy can be a casual member of any church. He’s an “all in” sort of person. If he is going to do something, he’s all in. There’s no way he’s just a casual member who can easily leave some of the beliefs at the door. 

Do you think Jinger could? 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, noseybutt said:

Do you think Jinger could? 

She’s such a follower. She always has been. She followed Jessa growing up. And now she follows Jeremy. I assume she mostly agrees with him and follows along to her own detriment. As she gets older she may start to form opinions that contradict Jeremy. But I doubt it’s anything big. Probably just little stuff. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 7

I’m just gonna say it.  They need to quit posting their pizza videos.  Because it looks nasty.  Nothing wrong with the learning process.  But it doesn’t even look appetizing.  I was jealous of their pizza oven till I noticed it was a gas one.  We are getting a wood fired pizza oven next spring.  They should also never roll pizza dough out. Press it out by hand.  Also use 00 flour when tossing into a hot pizza oven! Nothing wrong with thick crust pizza.  But theirs looks like pillows.  Also, make your pizza dough 2 days in advance. Then press it out by hand.   It’s much better flavor wise.  I’m a serious foodie. 🤣here’s a pic of my breakfast pizza & a few others.  Not saying mine is perfect. Always room for improvement.  😉 we are making chili dog pizza tonight.  On my homemade sourdough crust.  🐷 

1FB760C2-B49B-4DE0-ACCB-FB9BD362EBBC.webp

E96BB899-C816-4734-85E6-E2D9C0AD3F57.jpeg

88586EE4-9BDE-4B48-99FD-AC061ED564FE.jpeg

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

9 minutes ago, Lista said:

I’m just gonna say it.  They need to quit posting their pizza videos.  Because it looks nasty.  Nothing wrong with the learning process.  But it doesn’t even look appetizing.  I was jealous of their pizza oven till I noticed it was a gas one.  We are getting a wood fired pizza oven next spring.  They should also never roll pizza dough out. Press it out by hand.  Also use 00 flour when tossing into a hot pizza oven! Nothing wrong with thick crust pizza.  But theirs looks like pillows.  Also, make your pizza dough 2 days in advance. Then press it out by hand.   It’s much better flavor wise.  I’m a serious foodie. 🤣here’s a pic of my breakfast pizza & a few others.  Not saying mine is perfect. Always room for improvement.  😉 we are making chili dog pizza tonight.  On my homemade sourdough crust.  🐷 

Just here to say: damn, but your pizza looks amazing, and I bet it tastes even better! My mouth is literally watering right now. Yum!

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Yep, wood fired pizza oven on the patio here.  My daughter uses imported gluten free flour to get the right consistency and taste.

• Upvote 1

On 12/21/2022 at 3:26 AM, Captain Obvious said:

This excerpt sounds to me like she's about to "but ackshually" about freedom not being good after all. And we can only be free in submission to God's purposes or something like that.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

11 minutes ago, neuroticcat said:

This excerpt sounds to me like she's about to "but ackshually" about freedom not being good after all. And we can only be free in submission to God's purposes or something like that.

That's MacArthur's stance. And her ghostwriter is a close adherent. Given how cold the excerpt sounds, I think Jinger had little say in the finished product. She did record the audiobook, but I bet there were some hesitations when diving deeply into the theology. And big words that she wouldn't normally use. 

• Upvote 5

19 hours ago, feministxtian said:

She just traded one set of chains for another. They might be prettier or shinier, but they're still the same damn chains. 

I agree, I hope she trades this new set of chains in for true freedom. At the same time I know my deconstruction from my abusive/dysfunctional family has been a process of trading down chains to finally getting freedom. Some chains, like my 30 years of an eating disorder, I may be wearing forever. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 8

7 hours ago, Nothing if not critical said:

Just here to say: damn, but your pizza looks amazing, and I bet it tastes even better! My mouth is literally watering right now. Yum!

Thanks! I re-read my post.  I came off snotty.  I’m not a perfect pizza maker.  But I see what they are doing wrong.  Sure.  A lot of people roll their dough out.  If you use 00 flour, it’s more relaxed & easier to stretch & pat out.  Rolling with a pin makes a tougher dough.  JMO.  And not everyone can afford a pizza oven.  Neither can we.  But we’ve been saving for YEARS to get a nice one.  I can’t wait.  Plus you can make other things in it.  Like whole chicken.  Even wings if you get the fire right.  The thing about Jeremy, he comes off like he deserves those nice things   He should take a minute & think he’d have non of that if it wasn’t for Jinger & her famewhore parents.  He strikes me as a know it all asshole.  But you know what? His daughters will set him straight when they are of age. Especially if they stay in California.. Big city girls  😁

I don’t post a lot  because I don’t like wasting my thoughts on him.  Poor Jer.  He thinks like is freebies.  That will soon end like everything else.  Jinger is his pretty little robot.  I’ll say it now.  He’s gonna cheat on her within the next 10 years.  She will divorce & go to higher education.  I don’t think she’s like Anna.  There’s a strong streak in her.  She’s just gotta find it. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Lista said:

Thanks! I re-read my post.  I came off snotty.

FWIW, I don’t think you did. Those were all perfectly valid points. I bet Jeremy’s Italian ancestors are crying every time they look down from heaven and see him abusing that pizza oven…

• Haha 6

I think this book, as well a way of earning money and the publicity they seem to love, is part of Jeremy’s pitch for a leadership role in the church. I really don’t see him returning to be a parish pastor.

You have Jinger looking all polished and smug about how she rejected one patriarchal cult and took up with another. Of course, she’s doing exactly what her parents brought her up to do- following her headship.

There won’t be any condemnation of the Duggars in this - they’re too savvy for that- but they will tease about it being a tell all, when really it’s a brochure offering themselves as the first couple of McCarthy doctrine.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Idlewild said:

I think this book, as well a way of earning money and the publicity they seem to love, is part of Jeremy’s pitch for a leadership role in the church. I really don’t see him returning to be a parish pastor.

You have Jinger looking all polished and smug about how she rejected one patriarchal cult and took up with another. Of course, she’s doing exactly what her parents brought her up to do- following her headship.

There won’t be any condemnation of the Duggars in this - they’re too savvy for that- but they will tease about it being a tell all, when really it’s a brochure offering themselves as the first couple of McCarthy doctrine.

The most important thing all the Duggars learned from their parents is how to shill for easy money.

• Upvote 8

10 hours ago, Idlewild said:

Actually, Jinger herself has repeatedly stated that the book isn't a tell-all. She says she loves her parents, yadda yadda yadda. It's strictly doctrine, which is why I believe that this book will be only peripherally written by Jinger. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

On 12/23/2022 at 2:35 PM, marmalade said:

Here's a portion of a Johnny Mac sermon on "freedom." My apologies for not being able to use the spoiler tab. 

"Now, in order to " become free, " you have to make sure that you get the Bible out of the way because the Bible condemns much of what people want to do. So there has to be a denunciation of the Bible and the role that the Bible plays.

You need to get the Bible out of the schools, you need to get the Bible out of the public discourse, because if people bring up the Bible, it’s going to encroach upon someone’s freedom, and if someone quotes the Bible, they’re going to be saying something that somebody doesn’t want to hear, and that in itself should be considered a crime. Laws are fast being installed that are leading to one goal: To make biblical Christianity a crime - to make biblical Christianity a crime, that’s what it is about, to silence the Word of God. The society wants to be free from any moral restraint.

Now, let me tell you what this freedom is. It is not freedom. It is sin addiction. All human beings, apart from the gospel and salvation in Christ, are sin addicts. Everybody has his own assortment and concoction of drugs, but they’re all sin addicts. You can pick your poison, you can pick your sin, and you can even pick the level to which you escalate your sinful behavior, but you have to understand this, that the whole human race is made up of sin addicts. And if anything is true about them, it is this: They are not free.

No one would look at a heroin addict and suggest that that person was free. We would suggest that that is probably the worst sort of temporal human bondage that someone could be in. Someone addicted to opioids or someone addicted to heroin or someone addicted to any other kind of behavior that is destructive, self-destructive, we would never see that as a kind of freedom. We would see it as a horrible bondage that needs to be broken.

We need to look at the entire human race, not as people who are free but as people who are addicted to sin, and it’s an addiction they can’t break, and it’s killing them. And the death is not just physical, it is eternal. The whole human race is sin-sick and addicted to iniquity. In fact, Jesus says in John 8:34 - and here’s the sum of it: Everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin. Everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin, and everyone does commit sin; therefore, everyone is the slave of sin, everyone is an iniquity addict.

Two verses later, in John 8:36, it says, “Only if Christ sets you free are you really free.” So what people in our society think is freedom is simply a more extreme, public, unrestrained manifestation of their addiction to iniquity. In fact, the Bible is so clear about this that it says there is no one who is good, all they are is evil, there’s no good thing in anyone, even that which we might see as righteous is filthy rags.

Picture in your mind the worst scene of human drug addiction as it takes the victim near to death, and he sits in rags somewhere in a black alley, waiting to die and sticking the needle in again, and you have an illustration of what it is to be an unregenerate sinner. You can choose your drug, you can choose your sin, you can’t break your addiction.

When Christ comes, He sets us free from that addiction to sin. In the past, in our culture, there were some sort of social restraints. There were some limits that society put on people. There were certain expectations. You go back a few decades and there was a kind of general sense of goodness, there was a general sense of the importance of family, for example. I don’t know if you know this, 26 out of 27 school shooters had no father. What’s the common denominator?

There was a time when people had mothers and they had fathers and they had families and there was a sense of morality. And there were behaviors that had shame built into them, and you didn’t flaunt them, you hid them. All that is gone. There was a time when you could say there was a general goodness, there was a general kindness. In fact, there were literally millions of people who went to war for this country and other countries and died for the wellbeing of people they would never meet who hadn’t even been born. That was very sacrificial. But that was what people did in a nobler time.

Now there’s a mad rush into every imaginable and unimaginable form of iniquity, and it’s flaunted. This has become a problem for the church because at the same time the world is running rapidly after this freedom, the church has decided it needs to be the friend of these sin-laden people. So there’s a move toward pragmatism. We want to be accepting of these people. We want to welcome these people. We want them to like us.

In the liberal denominations, it’s, of course, reached almost virtually a terminal point where the true church is gone altogether, and the false church is now under the control of immoral ministers, homosexual bishops, lesbian pastors offering same-sex marriage, but even in the evangelical church where people say they believe the gospel, there’s a very, very carefully constructed method to try to win the world over, and that demands that we not confront their true condition. We can’t take their freedom."

https://www.gty.org/library/sermons-library/48-30/understanding-christian-freedom

I’ve studied addiction and its relationship to agency/free will for the past 3 years, so I’m biting down a lot of “well acktually”s but also the thing I object to most about this is that line “There was a time when you could say there was a general goodness, there was a general kindness.”

That time is now. A couple of weeks ago I was running at Parkrun and an elderly man who had been standing on the corner collapsed. Everyone there from the runner ahead of me who caught him so he didn’t hit the concrete to me who called the ambulance to the woman who called his wife to the passing cyclist who offered a water bottle to the paramedics driving past with a different patient who stopped anyway, was a stranger to that man. None of us had any personal gain from helping him. Nobody tried to steal his wallet in the process. Nobody stopped to laugh. Nor did anybody use it as an opportunity to preach the gospel. People were just good and kind because humans are social creatures raised with empathy and a sense of morality and concern for one another.

These churches are like “you can’t get to heaven just by being a good person, you need Jesus, too many non-religious folk think they’ll be ok because they’re good people but everyone has sinned at least once!” And then 5 seconds later they’ll be like “everybody stopped believing in Jesus and now nobody is good and moral person anymore”.

• Upvote 16
  • Love 5

Haven't been here for quite some time and a bit surprised to see Jinger cooked Indonesian fried rice then disappointed because she used instant paste. 🙃

That Bamboe brand is very popular amongst Indonesian diasporas because I guess in some countries you can't get shrimp paste and kecap manis (sweet soy sauce) easily and that particular brand tasted good, but I promise you it's the most simple dish to make from scratch even my 8 years old nephew can cook it with minimum help (as long as there's mortar and pestle/food processor). 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

I can't see Jeremy divorcing her...why would he? He has a puppet to stroke his ego?

I see zero jinger backbone so can't imagine her leaving him either.

Will be interesting to see how it goes with them. I dont expect Jeremy to go social media silent.

• Upvote 7

All true about Jeremy being a nobody without Jinger. And to this point, Jinger has shown zero personal, independent growth or signs of intellectual curiosity-

• Upvote 12

6 hours ago, SassyPants said:

All true about Jeremy being a nobody without Jinger. And to this point, Jinger has shown zero personal, independent growth or signs of intellectual curiosity-

Why should she? She had that beat out of her years ago. Her life has been arranged that she doesn't have to think much past what cute outfits to put on the girls and how to keep Jeremy happy. There's no there there. 

• Upvote 5
  • Fuck You 1

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic