IGNORED

Jinjer 59: Cooking with Prepared Spice Mix

Coconut Flan

5 hours ago, marmalade said:

Here's the video from People. You won't need to read the book after watching this. She even addresses her pedo brother.

god she said a lot to say nothing...

a lot of waffle 

I suppose for the average listener it may sound like a lot more but knowing she has replaced one cult with another makes her sound like all waffle 

Also I found it unnerving how much she reminds me in mannerisms and looks to mechelle 

To me Jinger is the most similar in appearance to mechelle 

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s disappointing. Because it’s like watching someone climb a mountain. She was at the base of the mountain for so long while in the Duggar home. And finally a few years ago, she starts up the mountain. But it’s almost like she got a 1/3 of the way up the mountain, looked out and said, “wow! This is such a beautiful view! I’m happy here. I’m not going to bother going any further up the mountain. It’s probably too hard and too much work. And since I’m happier a 1/3 of the way up, I’ll just stay here.” But you know she could go so much further. 

I agree with this 

My hope for her is that this is just base camp and it maybe for many years. It could take something else major (such as a death of a parent or an affair by jeremy) for her to move to the next step. 

She has moved, not where we (fJ) would want her but I hope she has more in her 

Also re the video 

When she was talking about always loving big cities I was reminded of that talking head where she said that and jill shut her down saying she just meant one with a wallmart. I do really think Jill was trying to protect her, either her soul for wanting more than gothard said was out there or from her parents who would punish her for wanting more than gothard said was out there. 

Either way I do believe that all those years ago we (the begginers of Fj) were right in spotting the desire for Jinger to get out...

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 3

I find this very personally interesting. I came from a MacArthur type of background and I struggled for years with faith and fear. I finally left Christianity altogether and I feel very free now, so much so that I got a tattoo with the words be free in it. I think freedom is perspective. If you felt trapped/fearful in the situation or belief you were in and now you’ve gotten out of that you feel free. I can completely understand how she feels very free now, even though she is now in the exact same thing I felt trapped in. I always tell my Christian friends I’m happy for them, life is tough and whatever you personally find that gives you a feeling of hope/safety/purpose/freedom that is great!  If Jinger feels that in MacArthurs church I’m glad. I found it in atheism. She seems to be open to different people/ideas and not afraid for her girls to get outside perspectives and that is wonderful. She was raised in a very closed off environment, where everyone outside was “bad”. Her girls have a much better chance at thinking for themselves, plus Jinger herself now values questioning and thinking and will hopefully pass that on. Maybe she will eventually question some of what she is in now, maybe she will be happy to stay there.  Atheism can be a tough life and it’s not for everyone. I wish her peace!

• Upvote 25

10 hours ago, marmalade said:

Here's the video from People. You won't need to read the book after watching this. She even addresses her pedo brother.

Wow. Saying Bill Gothard wasn’t a Bible teacher and essentially that IBLP wasn’t Christian is WAY more direct than I expected. Also I’m assuming that’s Ben and the Seward’s who are the family she mentions who did things differently? Interesting.

Re: Alyssa’s comment. It may be superficial or it may be the only safe way she feels able to be supportive given the content. 

I also wonder if she’s made the connection b/w pleading God one day and then angering the next and the conditional love of her parents.

Also the pants WERae a big deal I guess! 

Edited by neuroticcat
  • Upvote 21
  • I Agree 3

The way she kind of sends a message to support Anna also seems to indicate they are not in touch. 

Also she reveals she’s pro college for her girls which is not what she had. 

I think her closure if indicating they want to be the same in public as they are at home is perhaps an interesting indictment on the Duggars. 

I think she sounded the most natural and “free” she’s ever been. I did not have a Duggar deconstructing on any bingo card ever, so I think it’s huge. She may stay in MacArthur land, but many full deconstruction stories begin thus way. Once you question the BS you keep going, even if it’s gradual fits and starts.

She also hints at getting professional help. It likely is Masters Seminary nouthetic coutselling but it’s also possible she saw a therapist. So many people who come out if these movements take several years to move from “that was off” to: I was abused. I have hope Jinger will get there. 

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 3

3 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

I think her closure if indicating they want to be the same in public as they are at home is perhaps an interesting indictment on the Duggars. 

I thought this too. I guess it's a desire for personal integrity - being able to present the same face and persona everywhere you go rather than switching masks - which is admirable and it's telling that maybe she did not observe that in her own family.

I actually thought she did OK addressing all the hot topics - pants wearing, IBLP, Josh, where she stands with JB and M - while not spilling much tea and making sure there's at least a sense that people might learn more if they bought the book. I also think that for conflict-averse Jinger, 'agreeing to disagree' with her parents on any topic is actually a huge step; so is speaking so firmly and clearly against Josh's viewing of CSA. It seems to me that she's probably had a lot of help to get this far and I'm glad she was able to find it and accept it, although as @neuroticcat says it could all have been nouthetic. I hope this is a first step for her.

She mentions that drinking alcohol is fine for Christians although she personally doesn't; she also says that birth control is acceptable and doesn't add the same denial. So I think it's fair to assume that she and Jeremy do use something, even just a barrier method. It's not impossible that she uses hormonal birth control, particularly given that her skin has really improved although obviously there are other factors that could have helped with that.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3

It will be interesting to see how the other adult Duggars take this. They may just appreciate it as a grift, like their father taught them. Jill has expressed support- but then she has never dissociated herself from Michelle- and appeared with her recently in Joy’s video. 
I can see the likes of Jed being annoyed at her, as he appears to be JB 2.0

• Upvote 6

12 hours ago, JDuggs said:

I watched Jinger’s video and it was interesting the props she gave to Ben for starting to open her eyes about religion. Getting to know Ben and his family made her realize that there’s more than just her parents’ way to be a good Christian. I think Jinger has exactly the life she wants right now and won’t be too interested in more spiritual growth.

but he was the one who also interviewed her way back and it was so bad. 

10 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think Jessa wants her cake and to eat it too. She’s not going to rock any boats. So she won’t say anything bad about Jinger’s book and she won’t say anything bad about JB and the cult. Jessa may not attend IBLP events anymore, but I doubt she will shit all over it. She will mostly ignore the controversy of the book and just keep posting videos of her kids and house. Acting like everything is just hunky dory. 

and be boring as hell. 

• Upvote 4

McArthur is so homophobic and anti trans that it makes me sad Jeremy is such a boot licker of him. Because even though Jinger may be more accepting of other Christians, I doubt she would be accepting of gay and trans Christians. 
Here is what McArthur says about conversion therapy:

https://baptistnews.com/article/john-macarthur-rallies-pastors-to-preach-against-government-bans-on-conversion-therapy-jan-16/

This isn’t about lgbtq+ folks but I just have to add that this guy is the head of biblical counseling in McArthurs school and it’s horrifying. And Jeremy attends this school? Insane. 

https://julieroys.com/head-counseling-john-macarthur-school-wife-endure-abuse/

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 16
  • Thank You 1

I was honestly more impressed with Jinger's growth than I thought I would be. Getting out of a cult is never easy, and when you grow up in the "comfort" of a cult, it's easy to replace one with another. But she's beginning to see things more clearly I feel. The fact that she mentioned the way she as raised was damaging, says a lot. The fact that not only can she see that, but that she can say it outloud to the world is huge too. She's not over here protecting her parents belief system. She's actually saying, I think they were wrong in this aspect. 

I hope she continues to climb into a more mainstream version of Christianity. That she keeps challenging beliefs she's told she should have but maybe doesn't actually align with. Only time will tell. Deconstructions is a marathon. Not a sprint.  

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 4

I have a lot of hope for Jinger but I can’t help but see Jeremy being the one to keep her stagnate in her growth.

Sometimes I watch anti mlm content on YouTube. And there was a clip of a woman shitting all over her old mlm and saying it was structured so you can’t make enough money. But then went on to say how her new mlm was so different and better than her old mlm. It was so mind boggling to watch. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 13
  • Sad 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 2

12 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Jinger says “Gee-sus” for Jesus. It’s not as weird as JRod’s “Gee-sauce,” but it’s odd. She’s “Jinger Duggar Vuolo” on the cover and in the People video, even though she doesn’t use her maiden name in real life. 

When I quoted her from the video, I spent several minutes debating whether I should type "Jesus" or "Gee-sus", something about how uniquely she pronounces the word makes me laugh every time I hear it. But in order to avoid the appearance of accent shaming, I went with the traditional spelling. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, shesinsane said:

When I quoted her from the video, I spent several minutes debating whether I should type "Jesus" or "Gee-sus", something about how uniquely she pronounces the word makes me laugh every time I hear it. But in order to avoid the appearance of accent shaming, I went with the traditional spelling. 

I understand what you mean, but it’s not an accent; the Duggars pronounce it normally.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

…I can’t help but see Jeremy being the one to keep her stagnate in her growth.

Yep, me too. The men still want to dominate their wives and households. If Jing gets too far out of line, the male leadership in the church will tell Jer to reel her in. So she may continue to branch out in some ways that are accepting to Jeremy and their religion but not necessarily rock the boat much further than where she is now. She strikes me as the type to write a book every so often; she’ll conjure up reasons to do so depending upon what life throws her in the future. 

So Jinger and Jill made bigger strides than their other sibs to distance themselves from their father’s stranglehold on them but none of the male Duggar siblings seem to want to step away from the fold.

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

She looks good.

She uses future tense when talking about Josh changing, indicating that she doesn’t think he has changed yet. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Cam said:

So Jinger and Jill made bigger strides than their other sibs to distance themselves from their father’s stranglehold on them but none of the male Duggar siblings seem to want to step away from the fold.

Which makes sense. They don’t have as many rules as females. They get to rule their homes and say what goes. They benefit the most from patriarchy. Why would they do anything to change that?

• Upvote 17

13 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Either way I do believe that all those years ago we (the begginers of Fj) were right in spotting the desire for Jinger to get out...

I logged in just to applaud everyone here for your prescience! Not that I think she’s all the way to freedom with this book, but it does seem like a step forward. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

Just now, JermajestyDuggar said:

Which makes sense. They don’t have as many rules as females. They get to rule their homes and say what goes. They benefit the most from patriarchy. Why would they do anything to change that?

I agree with this but also I don’t think the Duggar men have much imagination and they don’t value the imaginations and intellect of women.

The women are trained to value and revere the intellect of their husband.

That power differential adds up to a lot of stuckness.

• Upvote 3

Do any of the adults go to Big Sandy etc? Or is it just JB & M and the kids left at home?
I doubt any of the sons will speak out about their upbringing, but they may want to distance themselves from IBLP to avoid reputational damage eg for Jed’s political hopes and those that grift for Mediccorps. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, noseybutt said:

I agree with this but also I don’t think the Duggar men have much imagination and they don’t value the imaginations and intellect of women.

The women are trained to value and revere the intellect of their husband.

That power differential adds up to a lot of stuckness.

I feel like Josiah has a little. But they went silent. So we can’t see what’s going on there. But I’m glad they went silent for the sake of their kids. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, shesinsane said:

W=hen my sister-in-law's father-in-law died we went to the funeral. One of the officiants (Deacon maybe - I'm not too sure of the hierarchy in the Catholic church...) mentioned Jesus quite a bit during the service and pronounced it "Gee-SUS" every time. Very hard G and a ton of emphasis on the SUS, all with accompanying hand movements. Thank Gee-SUS we were sitting in the back, because son and I had the giggles each time he said it!

• Haha 9

8 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I feel like Josiah has a little. But they went silent. So we can’t see what’s going on there. But I’m glad they went silent for the sake of their kids. 

I respect Jinger for keeping her kids private. That’s probably the smartest decision she has made and I can’t help but think that she is the one who has pushed for that. She understands the downsides of public life in ways that are foreign to Jeremy.

• Upvote 17
  • Confused 1
  • I Agree 2

Preface-didn’t listen or read anything with regards to Jinger and her book. I will say that Jinger has become very opportunistic as an adult. Selling the house paint prior to the move from TX as opposed to leaving it for the new owners just showed how well Jinger learned the grift. Even Jeremy looked stunned when Jinger chided him for selling the paint so cheap. So, a book about breaking free from the cult was a great move in terms of making money. And really just like JB, J and J are looking to primarily bow to the altar of the greenback. People will buy the book and magazines and listen to the podcast just out of curiosity. $mart move for the Vuolos.

And of course they have to make money. They have a family, mortgage and live in a high COLA- I just wonder what is Jeremy’s ultimate plan?  Will he make enough money to support the family? Being 1 of 19 kids who was on TV is only going to go so far, especially as time goes on.

• Upvote 12
  • Eyeroll 1

To me Jinger has just moved on to a new cult and wears prettier clothes. Let me know when she is making decisions on her own, making decisions she feels are best for her that conflicts with what Jeremy thinks or wants. Jinger only changed because that is what her husband wanted. If Jeremy became a Gothard follower, so would Jinger. If Jeremy decides their daughters shouldn’t be allowed to go to college, Jinger will back him up. She hasn’t shown growth, she just found someone new to mold her. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, socalrules said:

To me Jinger has just moved on to a new cult and wears prettier clothes. Let me know when she is making decisions on her own, making decisions she feels are best for her that conflicts with what Jeremy thinks or wants. Jinger only changed because that is what her husband wanted. If Jeremy became a Gothard follower, so would Jinger. If Jeremy decides their daughters shouldn’t be allowed to go to college, Jinger will back him up. She hasn’t shown growth, she just found someone new to mold her. 

I guess it sort of reminds me of the ex Amish that follow the pearls. I bet they feel so much freer now that they can dress in whatever they want, use the internet, watch movies, and drive cars. But they are still following people like the Pearls. The man who raped his wife on their honeymoon and beats the Will out of their toddlers. And tells their followers to do the same. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

37 minutes ago, AnywhereButHere said:

Very hard G and a ton of emphasis on the SUS, all with accompanying hand movements. Thank Gee-SUS we were sitting in the back, because son and I had the giggles each time he said it!

That would not be a hard "g."  A hard g is guh like in gone, gander, goose, etc.  Jesus is pronounced with a regular j sound which would also be a soft g as in bilge.  It's interesting how the enthusiasm of the speaker can change the emphasis in saying the name.  

• Upvote 3

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic