IGNORED

Dillards 92: Prosecuting All Of Us

samurai_sarah

Those who watched the doco, in episode 2 when they’re talking about homeschooling and fear of public school and Jill said something about brainwashing “which does happen!” - what do you make of that? We know Jill’s homeschooling again this year and hoped it was a temporary thing because of the move plus Freddie plus 2 different campuses plus media attention from this… but maybe they weren’t happy about something one of the boys came home with? Do you think homeschooling is back in the long term plans?

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

13 minutes ago, Smee said:

Those who watched the doco, in episode 2 when they’re talking about homeschooling and fear of public school and Jill said something about brainwashing “which does happen!” - what do you make of that? We know Jill’s homeschooling again this year and hoped it was a temporary thing because of the move plus Freddie plus 2 different campuses plus media attention from this… but maybe they weren’t happy about something one of the boys came home with? Do you think homeschooling is back in the long term plans?

What's even stranger is that when they were interviewed, Izzy was still attending public school. I still wonder why they pulled their kids, but maybe Jill won that argument. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Smee said:

She was sort of doing a "both sides could have problems" thing, plus I think she probably had a bit more to say that was edited. Who knows what she considers brainwashing to be, but she was just being wishy-washy. Which is a term I have maybe never said aloud and certainly never typed before, but anyway. 

• Upvote 6

8 hours ago, Smee said:

To me (and I admit I’m biased and may just be seeing what I want) it was more like “let’s put them in public school because either way they’re going to be learning things that aren’t necessarily true (like evolution).” But I hope they keep them in public school, even if they keep quiet about it. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Smee said:

That was really surprising to me, and showed more than anything else that Jill has only come so far. I wanted to yell at the screen, “No, Jill, it does not happen! While public school is far from perfect it’s nothing like the brainwashing you got!” 

It makes me think she’s referring to trans stuff, critical race theory, etc. 

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 2

6 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

That was really surprising to me, and showed more than anything else that Jill has only come so far. I wanted to yell at the screen, “No, Jill, it does not happen! While public school is far from perfect it’s nothing like the brainwashing you got!” 

That's likely. They are still really conservative. However, it does happen that many public schools teach certain versions of history which are far from accurate. The pilgrims happily sharing turkey with the "Indians" comes to mind. The intrepid Christopher Columbus. US-centric nationalism etc.

• Upvote 7

6 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

What’s sad is that Jill probably just believes all the stuff they push on Fox News. Which so much of the country eats up and takes as fact. Jill believing that is actually not an uncommon way of thinking in the US. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

8 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

What’s sad is that Jill probably just believes all the stuff they push on Fox News. Which so much of the country eats up and takes as fact. Jill believing that is actually not an uncommon way of thinking in the US. 

Yup. Brain washing in public education is a dog whistle used frequently by Fox, Washington Times, and other right-wing press. I am guessing in her corner of Oklahoma and Arkansas, what Jill said IS the mainstream belief. She has moved from IBLP to mainstream for her location. Which is to say, still very conservative.

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 1

17 hours ago, Smee said:

yeah I thought that was potentially revealing. But I am also wondering whether their pulling Israel from school coincided not only with the move and Derick's job but ahead of their decision to go so very public this year. They knew the timeline for the documentary AND the book publication so they may have felt that they didn't want him going into school in the midst of all that, either bc they feared for his privacy or security, or because they didn't want him to be the focus of any gossip or discussion.

In the documentary they have blurred out the children's faces in photos which actually suddenly came over as incredibly empowering given what Jill and Derick were sharing about being trapped/tricked/coerced into contractual obligations to TLC. Being genuinely able to choose privacy for their children might be quite a new concept for them, and one they're still working out.

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 1

On 6/2/2023 at 11:50 AM, Idlewild said:

@Antimony possibly because he is employed and there would be consequences for hate speech. 

Honestly, this. No idea where the Dillards stand on their transphobia, but blathering on about how much you hate XYZ group on social media as a lawyer is a career killer. Unless you want to be a right wing nut job politician, anyway. 

As for public school vs homeschooling, I agree that with the move and the publicity, they may have felt that keeping the older kids home would be wise as a protective measure. I’m not sure they’re wrong, tbh.

Edited by Hera
More to say
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

I agree that there's probably more to the pulling from public school than what we know. It always seemed off to me. And we don't know that she's homeschooling, do we? They could be doing online learning as well. 

• Upvote 2

They could be using online resources, a homeschool group or even a tutor. Much as I dislike Derick, he does value education and enjoyed his college experience. He will want his children to have a proper education, nothing like Jill had.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 4

10 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

They could be using online resources, a homeschool group or even a tutor. Much as I dislike Derick, he does value education and enjoyed his college experience. He will want his children to have a proper education, nothing like Jill had.

I hope so. It could also be that the kids will go to public school once they are older and not as vulnerable to all this going on. My best friend homeschooled until one child was a freshman and the other in 6th grade. Both kids adjusted just fine and went on to college. My friend though has a master's degree and took time do develop a good curriculum for them. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

I can imagine Derick expecting his kids to go to college. Which means he has to know that at least going to a good high school before college would help them. I very much doubt they will homeschool all through high school and then send them off to Oklahoma state. I’m not saying homeschool kids can’t go to college. But I think going to a good high school could help prepare them for college. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

SHP producer Cori Shepherd Stern did an AMA on r/DuggarsSnark and provided a transcript of the rest of Jill's and Derick's  public school brainwashing comments when asked if there was a "but" that got cut off.

Edited by metheglyn
Misspelled reddit forum name
  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 34
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I can imagine Derick expecting his kids to go to college. Which means he has to know that at least going to a good high school before college would help them. I very much doubt they will homeschool all through high school and then send them off to Oklahoma state. I’m not saying homeschool kids can’t go to college. But I think going to a good high school could help prepare them for college. 

Among the things I see the Dillards doing to raise their boys differently from Jill’s upbringing is to make sure the kids get an education that helps them get a job/have a career and become financially independent and be able to support a family. I cannot say what kind of approach they’d take with any daughters should they have them. 

I wonder if Jill is consciously increasing her own knowledge base (stunted by the SOTDRT) if she is in fact homeschooling her kids. I was not anything fundie, went to public school and had an associate’s degree and while raising my son I worked as a teacher’s aid. In the process, I picked up on so many things that were taught to schoolkids that I could apply to my own life, things I’d somehow not learned growing up, such as the importance of paying attention to detail and chunking things down into small manageable parts. Jill may be filling in gaps of her own education while teaching her boys. Wouldn’t we all love if she chose to get a college degree once the kids started high school? (*cue Reba McIntire’s video “Is There Life Out There?”)

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

9 hours ago, metheglyn said:

SHP producer Cori Shepherd Stern did an AMA on r/DuggarsSnark and provided a transcript of the rest of Jill's and Derick's  public school brainwashing comments when asked if there was a "but" that got cut off.

Good, because it was pretty clear that was just the beginning of a thought, not a full exclamation. I was annoyed and wondered what she went on to say. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

One of my professors in college was a very conservative Christian. I think he had Mennonite roots. They homeschooled their four children to make sure they grew up with their beliefs. But even they knew that homeschooling wouldn't be enough so they were enrolled in public high school to adequately prepare them for college. 

But this also assumes that their academic foundation is adequate to prepare them for high school. 

If the Dillard's do plan to homeschool i hope that Jill realizes that her experience is a model of what not to do. I still find it mind boggling that the Duggar children weren't even taught basic algebra. 

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, Cam said:

Among the things I see the Dillards doing to raise their boys differently from Jill’s upbringing is to make sure the kids get an education that helps them get a job/have a career and become financially independent and be able to support a family. I cannot say what kind of approach they’d take with any daughters should they have them. 

I wonder if Jill is consciously increasing her own knowledge base (stunted by the SOTDRT) if she is in fact homeschooling her kids. I was not anything fundie, went to public school and had an associate’s degree and while raising my son I worked as a teacher’s aid. In the process, I picked up on so many things that were taught to schoolkids that I could apply to my own life, things I’d somehow not learned growing up, such as the importance of paying attention to detail and chunking things down into small manageable parts. Jill may be filling in gaps of her own education while teaching her boys. Wouldn’t we all love if she chose to get a college degree once the kids started high school? (*cue Reba McIntire’s video “Is There Life Out There?”)

Totally this. I was impressed by her use of the word "discernment". Somehow I don't think that was among the vocabulary taught at the SOTDRT.

• Upvote 4

Jill has made huge progress. She still has some room to grow (all fundies do), but I'm really impressed with her from the two episodes I watched. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

Discernment is probably used at Cross Church.  It's used all the time in evangelical teaching.  

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 6

5 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Discernment is probably used at Cross Church.  It's used all the time in evangelical teaching.  

Ah, thanks, I had no idea! But then I'm a mouthy heathen living in sin and rocking a "Straight Outta Salem" tank top.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

They don't go to Cross Church anymore. They attend a small Baptist church in Siloam Springs. 

• Eyeroll 1

8 hours ago, marmalade said:

They don't go to Cross Church anymore. They attend a small Baptist church in Siloam Springs. 

It was quite common at the time they attended Cross Church.  Jill would have been exposed to the term for years.

• Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic