IGNORED

The Queen/Prince Philip

viii

As for the monarchy, we clearly have King Charles III now and I think we will see King William V but I'm not sure we'll see King George VII. 

• Upvote 4

The family does have longevity on their side. So Charles could live to be quite old. Which means he could rule for 20+ years. 

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The family does have longevity on their side. So Charles could live to be quite old. Which means he could rule for 20+ years. 

Yes, he has it from both his mother and father. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

15 minutes ago, viii said:

Elizabeth II was 27 when she became queen. 

She was actually 25; the King died 6 Feb 1952, and Elizabeth didn't turn 26 until 21 April that year. She was 27 by the time she was crowned the following year, though!🙂

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

Prince Harry has now joined the rest of the family at Balmoral.

How strange for them all to be together at Balmoral mourning so close to the anniversary of Diana's death.

According to the plans, King Charles is supposed to address the nation tomorrow.  He tends to be more emotional than his parents.  I will be curious to see if he can maintain his composure.  I can't imagine having to make a speech after my mom died. 

• Upvote 12

Ok I know this sounds stupid but how many corgis does the queen have? Who will take them? I know she loved her dogs. When my grandma died everyone was like, “who will take her cat?” My dad took the cat in. His old and fluffy butt died just last year. I think he must have missed my grandma for years. 

• Love 12

Plus Charles has been an extremely  healthy eater for years, doesn’t smoke, drinks very little and is very very active for his age. All that bodes well for a reign of 15 or 20 years. 

She has maybe one or two personal dogs left after she stopped getting and breeding new puppies a few years ago for that exact reason. No doubt they will be taken by one of the grandchildren or young greats. 

Edited by tabitha2
  • Upvote 4

Long live the King 😭

RIP Your Majesty. You were a good and faithful servant. Thank you for everything you did for all of us in the Commonwealth. 

I know that your beloved pets greeted you with joy.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Love 11

4 minutes ago, TN-peach said:

According to the plans, King Charles is supposed to address the nation tomorrow.  He tends to be more emotional than his parents.  I will be curious to see if he can maintain his composure.  I can't imagine having to make a speech after my mom died. 

I think we will see some emotion from him, which I think is lovely. I love that Charles wears his heart on his sleeve - more men should. His mother just died and it's been a year since his father passed, of course he's emotional. The royal family has been plagued for years of being cold and aloof so I think some tears and emotions are a good start to his reign. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

5 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Ok I know this sounds stupid but how many corgis does the queen have? Who will take them? I know she loved her dogs. When my grandma died everyone was like, “who will take her cat?” My dad took the cat in. His old and fluffy butt died just last year. I think he must have missed my grandma for years. 

four dogs, according to https://www.newsweek.com/queen-elizabeth-dead-corgis-dogs-dies-health-1741179

not all corgis though

• Thank You 2

According to the BBC he decided to go with Charles III.

He will be known as King Charles III.

That was the first decision of the new king's reign. He could have chosen from any of his four names - Charles Philip Arthur George.

He is not the only one who faces a change of title.

Probably didn't want to change it after 70 plus years of being Charles.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

Copied from a rolling news release:

Released on Twitter by the Royal Family, Charles is called His Majesty The King in the statement, showing the change in title after his mother's death.

"The death of my beloved Mother, Her Majesty The Queen, is a moment of the greatest sadness for me and all members of my family," he said in a statement.

"We mourn profoundly the passing of a cherished Sovereign and a much-loved Mother. I know her loss will be a deeply felt throughout the country, the Realms and the Commonwealth, and by countless people around the world.

"During this period of mourning and change, my family and I will be comforted and sustained by our knowledge of the respect and deep affection in which The Queen was so widely held."

• Love 10

He comes from the generation where it started being acceptable for Royals, even male ones, to  show real  emotions and drop the stiff upper lip Victorian manners of his class. If Not exactly demonstrative just more human.

• Upvote 6

22 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I was thinking the same thing!  

• Upvote 1

I will miss Queen Elizabeth and her warmth and charisma. Sending thoughts to Free Jingers in Great Britain and around the world and know that people around the world are mourning with you.

Edited by Audrey2
  • Upvote 10
  • Love 2

8 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

According to the BBC he decided to go with Charles III.

Probably didn't want to change it after 70 plus years of being Charles.

All those names have so many associations. His dad Philip, several Georges in the family. Charles is the name that is the most his own so I'm not surprised.   King Arthur would be the butt of so many knight jokes.

• Upvote 7

3 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one wondering about the dogs. And what the fuck is a Dorgi? A dachshund and a corgi mixed? 

Lol yes. 

I actually hope Charles has a longer reign than not. It would be nice if William's children were able to grow up a bit more before he becomes King. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

I’m sure Elizabeth was very careful in naming him since he is the first child. And would likely become king one day. Same with William and George. No one wants to go by one name their entire lives and then have to change it when becoming king/queen. Elizabeth’s own father wasn’t expected to be king as a second son. So he did end up with a different King name than the name he went by. He was king George instead of king Albert. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

Just now, AmazonGrace said:

All those names have so many associations. His dad Philip, several Georges in the family. Charles is the name that is the most his own so I'm not surprised.   King Arthur would be the butt of so many knight jokes.

He was once said to be thinking of using George VII to avoid the connotations with using Charles. Charles I got his head lopped off in the English Revolution. Charles II had a sordid reputation.  Both were from the House of Stuart and he didn’t want to prop them up.

I just think he decided it wasn’t worth the bother and decided to keep using his own name. 

Now that he’s done that one thing I’m curious to see is if a future Pope uses his (or her if the church Evers out of the late Bronze Age) birth name. The Pope does not have to change their name - its a tradition and not a law. 

• Upvote 2

The Pope thing would be interesting. I would hope they'd stick to tradition otherwise we're gonna get Pope Jaxon and Pope Brantley. 

• Bless Your Heart 1

5 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

He was once said to be thinking of using George VII to avoid the connotations with using Charles. Charles I got his head lopped off in the English Revolution. Charles II had a sordid reputation.  Both were from the House of Stuart and he didn’t want to prop them up.

I just think he decided it wasn’t worth the bother and decided to keep using his own name. 

Now that he’s done that one thing I’m curious to see is if a future Pope uses his (or her if the church Evers out of the late Bronze Age) birth name. The Pope does not have to change their name - its a tradition and not a law. 

It’s hard because there are so many past kings with negative associations. Like King Henry! But William’s younger brother is named Henry. I think William might be named after Charles’ cousin William who died in a plane crash. 

2 minutes ago, viii said:

The Pope thing would be interesting. I would hope they'd stick to tradition otherwise we're gonna get Pope Jaxon and Pope Brantley. 

Well the pope is already bucking tradition by stepping down before death. I wonder if Charles will do that in very old age. Popes and kings don’t usually retire. They just die.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Interesting point... I never thought of pope names that way before but I reckon they feel like adopting a pope name that sounds like a Roman saint or something gives them more of an air of detached authority than if they used their own name from their own personal history that links to their own family history and ethnicity. Some languages adapt the pope names into their language and it would be harder to do with   Pope Jorge Mario or Pope Karol Jozef

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m sure Elizabeth was very careful in naming him since he is the first child. And would likely become king one day. Same with William and George. No one wants to go by one name their entire lives and then have to change it when becoming king/queen. Elizabeth’s own father wasn’t expected to be king as a second son. So he did end up with a different King name than the name he went by. He was king George instead of king Albert. 

George was one of his names (the last of his personal names, I believe).  My guess is he could have been King Albert except they chose to go with George to remind people of George V and bolster things up after the abdication,  

Royals and aristocrats are used to swapping names and titles as they inherit.  

Edward (the one who abdicated) was known in the family by the last of his personal names, David.  

• Upvote 4

• Coconut Flan changed the title to The Queen/Prince Philip
  • samurai_sarah locked and unlocked this topic