IGNORED

The Queen/Prince Philip

viii

6 hours ago, käsekuchen said:

IMO it doesn't make any sense that raping the Sovereign is not treason either.

Usually, when he was raped, he was not sovereign any more.

4 hours ago, rosamundi said:

I'm not sure, to be honest. The law was written in 1351 and hasn't been amended very often, so it's probably to do with sexism and younger daughters were seen as less "valuable" when it comes to making strategic marriages.

Yeah, something like that was probably the case.  The word “rape” at the time often connoted “abduction.”  An abducted, unmarried woman could be married to her abductor (once he had raped her, it was considered necessary to preserve her good name).  This would give the abductor a very important powerful position and possibly a chance to claim the throne.  Still, it surprised me all daughters weren’t covered. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

The Queen with Paddington Bear 😍 😍

Here's the one with her talking about the crown and the disadvantages

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

You really can't have true intimacy with a partner if they are sleeping around.

I think she deserved better. Funny how you can have all the riches in the world, but true intimacy with a partner is so elusive, even for a Queen.

It’s truly awe inspiring to be in the presence of someone truly so omniscient. Jackie, I don’t know how you do it.

I also don’t know you account for polyamorous relationships. I have a few friends in several and they are very happy. Wouldn’t work for me, but I’m not going to judge. Nor can we judge the Queen and Prince Philip. We have no idea the true nature of their relationship and what kind of understanding they may have had. 

• Upvote 12

On 9/9/2022 at 4:46 PM, Loveday said:

I'm quoting you again because I went back to this site and realised it's Walmart! LOL. I wonder why the ones my husband got were on clearance! 😳 I'll have to check next time I'm in there to see if they have them so I don't have to order online. I always hate giving my credit card number to yet another online site, even if it is a big one like Walmart! I do like the RBG cling, though, and I bet my Walmart won't have her in stock, so I may end up going the online route anyway!

@Loveday I discovered that Walmart has my online linked to all my in person shopping. Ordered something non-grocery online and had a ton of past shopping purchases from in person  store listed.

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

8 minutes ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

I discovered that Walmart has my online linked to all my in person shopping. Ordered something non-grocery online and had a ton of past shopping purchases from in person  store listed.

That's a little unnerving the first time you see it, right?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

That's a little unnerving the first time you see it, right?

Yes! I had to resist an urge to cancel every credit card I have and start paying with cash! Then like 5 mins later I was like...well...ok...<shrug>

• Upvote 1

A Carnegie Mellon University professor really, really stepped in it with a really vile tweet.

It took just 19 words (less than 100 characters) to land a Carnegie Mellon University professor squarely in the middle of yet another firestorm over social media and the boundaries of free campus speech.

Uju Anya’s tweet wishing a dying Queen Elizabeth II “excruciating” pain has faced an avalanche of criticism and calls that she be disciplined or fired since she posted it early Thursday. 

If a member of my family said something like that they would have gotten the Michael Corleone call from me by now...."You're nothing to me now. You're not a (sibling, cousin, aunt, uncle, etc), you're not a friend.  I don't want to see you at all, and I don't want you near my home. When you visit my parents, I want to know a week in advance, so I won't be there. You understand?"  And have the filled out trespassing form all ready to go too making it official that she wasn't welcome. (The part about knowing in advance when such a person visits my parents would be important because of the distance involved in me going to see my mom and dad).

• Fuck You 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • WTF 1

Elizabeth II’s funeral has been set for Sept 19.  According to the WSJ,

From the queen’s family-owned Balmoral Estate, her coffin, which is currently residing in the building’s ballroom, will on Sunday, Sept. 11, be carried by gamekeepers to a hearse. It will then be driven to Edinburgh, where it will be placed in the throne room at the Palace of Holyrood, the monarch’s principal residence in Scotland. 

The next day, the coffin will be taken via procession across the center of the Scottish capital to St. Giles’ Cathedral, accompanied by King Charles III. The people of Scotland will then have an opportunity to pay their respects. On Tuesday, Sept. 13, the queen’s body will be flown to London where it will be taken to Buckingham Palace.

On Wednesday, the coffin will be carried by gun carriage from the palace to Westminster Hall. Guns will be fired from Hyde Park. Big Ben, Britain’s iconic bell located above the country’s parliament, will toll as the procession makes its way.

For four full days, the queen is slated to lie in state in Parliament’s 925-year-old Westminster Hall, where Britons are likely to line up for hours for a chance to pass by the coffin and pay their respects. Royal pageantry is to be on full display: The coffin is to be draped in a royal flag and scepter. It will also be topped by the ornate Imperial State Crown, a weighty crown that sports a giant diamond nearly two-inches tall and 2,900 other precious stones. 

For the funeral itself, the queen’s coffin is likely to be carried the short distance from Parliament to Westminster Abbey via a historic field-gun carriage that is to be drawn by royal navy personnel, a ritual used in numerous royal funerals including that of Queen Victoria in 1901. The royal family is expected to follow in a procession. 

The service then will be held in Westminster Abbey, which can hold roughly 2,000 attendees, and is expected to be led by Dean of Westminster, David Hoyle. 

After the funeral, a procession will follow in London, before the coffin is transported by hearse to Windsor Castle, the royal residence an hour west of London. There, on the castle’s grounds, the queen is slated to be buried near the main royal vault under St. George’s Chapel that has been the resting place of royals for centuries. Queen Elizabeth’s body is expected to be buried in a section of the chapel beside her father, King George VI, and her late husband, Prince Philip. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

10 hours ago, KnittingOwl said:

It’s truly awe inspiring to be in the presence of someone truly so omniscient. Jackie, I don’t know how you do it.

I also don’t know you account for polyamorous relationships. I have a few friends in several and they are very happy. Wouldn’t work for me, but I’m not going to judge. Nor can we judge the Queen and Prince Philip. We have no idea the true nature of their relationship and what kind of understanding they may have had. 

Thank you.

I dont' think the Queen was in a polyamorous relationship. There'd be some evidence out there. Can you see her agreeing to such an arrangement? Why would she want the gossip, suspicion and rumors? 

There is plenty of evidence that Phillip was unfaithful, though there is no solid proof. However, there's plenty of circumstantial evidence:

1. Born to a royal family, the youngest and only son, he was accustomed to receiving what he wanted

2. He grew up to be an unpleasant person given to racist comments. He thought he was above the rules. He nearly caused an accident once in his plane, a near-collision with a commercial flight, because he didn't stay in the correct airspace.

3. He knew the Queen would not divorce him.

4. He had plenty of opportunities to cheat. Women with poor character were willing to sleep with him because he was royal, married or not (kind of like Camilla with Charles).  He would've had to show restraint and discipline, which he was not know for.

5. At the time, and in that culture, it was accepted that men might stray, particularly when they were sent on five-month tours away from their wives.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Downvote 2

It is possible that he cheated. I have no idea but neither have you.

Just because you didn't like him isn't circumstantial evidence that he was a cheater.

I am sure plenty of people that I don't like have been faithful in their marriage.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

21 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

It is possible that he cheated. I have no idea but neither have you.

Just because you didn't like him isn't circumstantial evidence that he was a cheater.

I am sure plenty of people that I don't like have been faithful in their marriage.

My opinion of him is irrelevant.  He was widely known as rude, sexist, profane, misogynistic, arrogant, racist and elitist. He seems just the type to have no respect for his vows.

Here are some things Phillip said.

“Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaining they are unemployed” (during the 1981 recession).

“You are a woman, aren’t you?” (in Kenya after accepting a small gift from a local woman).

“If you stay here much longer you’ll all be slitty-eyed” (to a group of British students during a royal visit to China).

“You can’t have been here that long, you haven’t got pot belly” (to a Briton he met in Hungary).

“Aren’t most of you descended from pirates?” (to a wealthy islander in the Cayman Islands).

“How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test” (to a Scottish driving instructor).

“It looks as if it was put in by an Indian” (referring to an old-fashioned fuse box in a factory near Edinburgh).

“Still throwing spears?” (question put to an Aboriginal Australian during a visit).

“There’s a lot of your family in tonight” (after looking at the name badge of businessman Atul Patel at a Palace reception for British Indians).

“The Philippines must be half-empty as you’re all here running the NHS” (on meeting a Filipino nurse at Luton and Dunstable Hospital). 

There's hardly a group he hasn't been hateful to! Here's what one writer said:

His xenophobic bigotry is pure, his sense of class entitlement undiluted, unencumbered, uncensored, liberated from any inkling of bourgeois inhibitions. He does not mean to be offensive. He just is. He is a walking embodiment of every layered lava of European racism summed up inside one royal head.

You think a fellow like this definitely kept his vows? I mean, anything's possible but it doesn't seem likely.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1
  • Move Along 4

Taking your word for it, that's still not evidence of cheating in his marriage.

People who say racist things can cheat or not. People who don't say racist things can cheat or not.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Elizabeth II’s funeral has been set for Sept 19.

And for some weird reason we're having a Day of Mourning on the Thursday, which gives us a four day long weekend thanks to a pre-existing public holiday on the Friday.

Half the state is going "wait, what?! Why?" 

• Upvote 6

6 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

4. He had plenty of opportunities to cheat. Women with poor character were willing to sleep with him because he was royal, married or not (kind of like Camilla with Charles).  He would've had to show restraint and discipline, which he was not know for.

Wow! Your hypocrisy in calling me a slut shamer! 

• Upvote 7

Regarding opportunities,  I drove to the grocery store today. I could have been speeding, there were no police to be seen anywhere, and the traffic was light.

I had opportunities to shoplift. There were plenty of products and I had a huge cart, as well as several bags I brought from home. No one checked whether I hid anything in there.

I could have keyed the car next to me in the parking lot easily. It was pretty close and there were other vehicles blocking visibility. I could have brought a marker and drawn dirty pictures in the bathroom, and I think cameras in toilets are illegal so they'd never know it was me.

I have had opportunities to cheat. Perhaps more so than if I was a royal and had a bunch of photographers interested in following my movements and reporting my indiscretions. Granted, nobody would sleep with me for the status, fame and prestige that I don't have but I reckon it can't be that difficult to find guys who would be willing to have sex with me for the sex.

Is that circumstantial evidence that I am a dangerous driver, a vandal, a shoplifter and an adulterer? 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 13
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

6 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

My opinion of him is irrelevant.  He was widely known as rude, sexist, profane, misogynistic, arrogant, racist and elitist. He seems just the type to have no respect for his vows.

They're both dead now.  It's OK if we move on from castigating Prince Philip for what he may or may not have done.  

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

Oh, I forgot. He told a little boy he's too fat to be an astronaut.

According to reports the Prince asked Andrew about the spacecraft before saying: "Well, you'll never fly in it, you're too fat to be an astronaut."

How cruel. I feel for that child.

I wonder what sorts of things he said in private, if this is what he said in public?

I also feel sorry for Elizabeth. Many people have boorish or cruel husbands, but hers got reported on the news.

It's odd the media did not focus much distain on this cruel man. I believe his comments were dismissed as "gaffes."

Edited by Jackie3
  • Downvote 4

"Queen Elizabeth's Coffin Seen for First Time as It Travels from Balmoral Castle to Edinburgh"  BBC photos/video link below as well.

https://people.com/royals/queen-elizabeth-coffin-leaves-balmoral-castle-travel-edinburgh-scotland/

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-62866826

Edited by WiseGirl
  • Love 3

If someone in their seventies, eighties, nineties starts becoming meaner, making more social gaffes,  putting their foot in their mouth more often and otherwise losing their filter I would consider the possibility that they might have undiagnosed, or at least undisclosed brain degenerative changes or cognitive impairment. Lacunar strokes, mild dementia, that sort of thing. 

Outwardly he was aging pretty well but he always had a bunch of people to help him out unlike many other senior citizens.

• Upvote 7

Not on the same level as some other announcements, but apparently the Royal Beekeeper went to each of the royal hives to announce (to the bees) that Elizabeth was dead and Charles was now king.

Royal Bees Informed of Queen Elizabeth’s Passing

According to the article it’s based on an old tradition that bees must be informed that they have a new master.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 9

17 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

If someone in their seventies, eighties, nineties starts becoming meaner, making more social gaffes,  putting their foot in their mouth more often and otherwise losing their filter I would consider the possibility that they might have undiagnosed, or at least undisclosed brain degenerative changes or cognitive impairment. Lacunar strokes, mild dementia, that sort of thing.

And if someone in their 40s started after November 2016 there's another rather orange possibility too.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

9 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

Not on the same level as some other announcements, but apparently the Royal Beekeeper went to each of the royal hives to announce (to the bees) that Elizabeth was dead and Charles was now king.

Royal Bees Informed of Queen Elizabeth’s Passing

According to the article it’s based on an old tradition that bees must be informed that they have a new master.

I don’t know why I love this so much. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

Church I go to in St. Paul, Minnesota rang its tower bell once for each year of Elizabeth's life this morning.  Here's part of it.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 3

It is an old, old tradition to tell the hives of bees about any major happening in their area.  The newest book in the Outlander series is "Go and Tell the Bees That I Am Gone".  Legend says that if they aren't informed, they will leave.

It is so sad to realize that soon we won't be posting on this thread anymore.

Edited by SoSoNosy
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

• Coconut Flan changed the title to The Queen/Prince Philip
  • samurai_sarah locked and unlocked this topic