IGNORED

The Queen/Prince Philip

viii

I mean They did visit him. Not like he was shut away in a dungeon and shunned completely. 

Yes. Lalla Bill. She adored the boy and she was also the one who finally told Queen Mary Bertie was being abused by the sadistic mentally I’ll nanny. 

Edited by tabitha2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, EmCatlyn said:

The name Charles, on the other hand, can be associated with what a bad idea the “Interregnum” was, and with the Restoration of the monarchy as well as the romanticized “Bonny Prince Charlie” of Scottish song and story.

That makes sense. It still just is weird to me. Mildly amusing as well, considering that the Stuarts and the Jacobites are so intimately connected to Catholicism. Both Charles I and Charles II were married to Catholics, with Charles II possibly even having converted to Catholicism on his deathbed. James II was openly Catholic, and that played a major part in his overthrow. The stipulation that the British royals could not marry Catholics or would face exclusion from the line of succession comes from the Glorious Revolution. Bonnie Prince Charlie and the other Jacobite pretenders remained Catholic, living at the mercy of various continental Catholic powers. Maybe we've all been expecting the wrong shock from Charles--instead of abdicating, he'll actually be converting to Catholicism lol.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

I’ve had to mute, unfriend, or outright block a few people today.  Figured they wouldn’t listen to me telling them today’s not really the day to do the liberal street cred thing and shut the fuck up for once.  The ones I muted if they’re still up to it in a few weeks I’ll block their fucking asses too.

This all has affected me a lot more than I thought it would.  I knew the day was coming given her age and her husband of 73 years going last year but goddamn I was hoping she would’ve been with us a bit longer.

And for those keyboard warriors, I wonder if any of them would be brave enough to head to Buckingham Palace and spout off in fucking person. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Love 6

Stunning pictures. Rainbows after her death.

Screenshot_20220908_204155.jpg

Edited by WiseGirl
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 10

2 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

Stunning pictures. Rainbows after her death.

Screenshot_20220908_204155.jpg

I saw those really neat pictures and thought both of Queen Elizabeth being with Prince Philip again wherever they are as well as the colors of those gorgeous suits and hats that Queen Elizabeth wore. I'm really going to miss her style. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

I saw those really neat pictures and thought both of Queen Elizabeth being with Prince Philip again wherever they are as well as the colors of those gorgeous suits and hats that Queen Elizabeth wore. I'm really going to miss her style. 

Also her parents and her sister.  Hopefully they're all catching up together upstairs right about now.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

I don’t usually give personal details online but for context:

I work (in Australia) with many international connections (my boss has met with Queen Elizabeth 3 times), and my position is Commonwealth funded. We have just had a service at work and I couldn’t get through singing ‘God save our king’ because of my tears. While I understand that some people don’t like, respect or support the monarchy, some of us feel very differently. For most of us, Queen Elizabeth has been a part of our lives since we were born and even though this news was not unexpected, it is still sad. It has been an emotional day.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 15

1 minute ago, adidas said:

I work (in Australia) with many international connections (my boss has met with Queen Elizabeth 3 times), and my position is Commonwealth funded. We have just had a service at work and I couldn’t get through singing ‘God save our king’ because of my tears. While I understand that some people don’t like, respect or support the monarchy, some of us feel very differently. For most of us, Queen Elizabeth has been a part of our lives since we were born and even though this news was not unexpected, it is still sad. It has been an emotional day.

I'm an American and it's been one for me as well.  From June 9, 1975 up until about noon central today Elizabeth was Queen.  I always knew this day would come but it's hard being in a world without Elizabeth II.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

4 minutes ago, adidas said:

I'm an American and had a substitute teaching job today. When I checked my phone at lunch time and saw the text from my brother then went to Yahoo I just broke down and cried. I didn't know that the Queen's passing would affect me this way. I was able to pull myself together before my students came back but, since I'll have the same class tomorrow, I told them that if they wrote down their name on a piece of paper along with what major world event happened today that I would give them a pencil (the fun colorful ones from the dollar store not the plain yellow ticonderogas). 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, 47of74 said:

I’ve had to mute, unfriend, or outright block a few people today.  Figured they wouldn’t listen to me telling them today’s not really the day to do the liberal street cred thing and shut the fuck up for once.  The ones I muted if they’re still up to it in a few weeks I’ll block their fucking asses too.

This all has affected me a lot more than I thought it would.  I knew the day was coming given her age and her husband of 73 years going last year but goddamn I was hoping she would’ve been with us a bit longer.

And for those keyboard warriors, I wonder if any of them would be brave enough to head to Buckingham Palace and spout off in fucking person. 

Some people just have neither class, nor manners nor any idea how to be a decent being. They just show their real colours in events such as this. 
There is a good discourse about the monarchy, it’s impact and dark sides and history. As well as the individual criticism to each member. By all means- join this. But using the death of a person to just spout pretty disgusting comments is the lowest form of creating interest in yourself and what you think you have to say. To me though, their contributions to whatever topic will be tarnished by how they conducted themselves.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 11
  • Downvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1

When my dog died, Lady Bug Art gave me a lot of comfort through her work. I saw that she has released the following image.

I imagine there was a great ruckus, with over 30 corgis rushing over Rainbow Bridge all at once, to see their beloved human today.

E058F950-2B03-4D71-A707-5DC922A10C89.jpeg

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 3
  • Love 5

What a bizarre day. 

So many businesses and other institutions have posted about the death on their websites: various supermarkets, my old university and my brother’s, Harrods… it’s weird.
You expect tributes from former PMs and other world leaders, but there have even been comments from Jeff Bezos, Tim Cook, Bill Gates… 

I noticed Justin Trudeau was very upset when he spoke. Apparently she was one of his favourite people. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Didn't he have a nanny who adored him? 

Yes, good call! Lala Bill. I think she was the saddest of anyone when he died. His father called John's death "a great mercy" and didn't seem particularly distraught.

5 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Why would anyone be afraid of speaking honestly to the royals? They have no power, so there's no reason to be afraid of them. 

Are the royals afraid of honesty? Perhaps not accustomed to it?

I read a story once about Prince Charles. He was complaining that food in markets was packaged in plastic wrap. He said that was bad for the environment  His companion--who was NOT afraid to speak honestly--said that Charles' Duchy of Cornwall biscuits were sold in plastic wrap. Charles was a bit taken aback--I'm not sure he gets that kind of outspokenness very often! But no one was beheaded, so it's safe to speak honestly with the royals, should you get the chance.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3
  • WTF 1

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

I noticed Justin Trudeau was very upset when he spoke. Apparently she was one of his favourite people. 

Our PM Jacinda Ardern was close to tears when she faced the press this morning. I thought she said some lovely things between the official announcements. 

• Upvote 6

21 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

It should be said even among the other Monarchs she was first among equals… THE Queen. 

I belong to a Facebook group that reports on the deaths of famous and not-so-famous yet interesting people (it's part of a group of genealogy FB pages), and I happened to be the first one yesterday to post about the queen. I wrote, 'The Queen has died,' and added a beautiful photo of her taken shortly after she became queen. The very first response was, 'What queen?' 

I'm still reeling over the ignorance. This wasn't a really young person who might just not have ever seen a pic of her, this was someone who appeared, by her profile pic, to be a middle-aged American who surely at some point in her life had seen a photo or two of the queen, whether in her youth or in old age. If you go to the grocery store anywhere in the US, you can't miss her--she's on at least one tabloid or magazine cover at the checkout every week! I mean, you really have to be isolated to not recognise THE Queen! I think even Jill Rodrigues's beloved Amish would mostly know who she was!😳

ETA: I did reply with a brief explanation, I was polite. But it was hard. LOL.

Edited by Loveday
  • Upvote 6

51 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

It should be said even among the other Monarchs she was first among equals… THE Queen. 

She was THE Queen because Britain had once acquired so many countries, now known as the Commonwealth. There are still dozens of countries in the Commonwealth. Most other rulers don't have that.

As a result, of course, it's a sad day for many people around the world.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Loveday said:

I belong to a Facebook group that reports on the deaths of famous and not-so-famous yet interesting people (it's part of a group of genealogy FB pages), and I happened to be the first one yesterday to post about the queen. I wrote, 'The Queen has died,' and added a beautiful photo of her taken shortly after she became queen. The very first response was, 'What queen?' 

I'm still reeling over the ignorance. This wasn't a really young person who might just not have ever seen a pic of her, this was someone who appeared, by her profile pic, to be a middle-aged American who surely at some point in her life had seen a photo or two of the queen, whether in her youth or in old age. If you go to the grocery store anywhere in the US, you can't miss her--she's on at least one tabloid or magazine cover at the checkout every week! I mean, you really have to be isolated to not recognise THE Queen! I think even Jill Rodrigues's beloved Amish would mostly know who she was!😳

The person’s confusion may have stemmed from using the photo of Elizabeth in her 20s which was 70 years ago, likely taken before the middle aged American was born. Most tabloid cover photos I’ve seen have been current Elizabeth in her 90s photos.

Elizabeth & her mother are probably the only Queens I would recognize as they looked in their mid 20s, but only because I’ve read several biographies & watched several documentaries about them.

• Upvote 5

15 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

I mean They did visit him. Not like he was shut away in a dungeon and shunned completely. 

Yes. Lalla Bill. She adored the boy and she was also the one who finally told Queen Mary Bertie was being abused by the sadistic mentally I’ll nanny. 

You are defending shutting away a little boy, simply because he had epilepsy? I don't think visiting him makes it OK. The fact it "wasn't a dungeon" also doesn't make it right.  

They said they did this because it "upset the children" when he had a seizure. I suspect it upset them far more to have their brother live in a different home. I imagine John just embarrassed his parents. 

Some things--making a little boy live separately from his family-- are just wrong. John was said to be intelligent and kind, and he knew what was going on.

• Sad 2
  • I Agree 1

I mean, there are a handful of queens around the world - Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Spain, etc all have queens. And yet I think due to her 70 years on the throne, Queen Elizabeth just became known as *the* queen. Not to mention, the British Royal Family is the most popular royal family. Majority of people around the world (Americans and those without a monarchy) don't seem to care about other royal families like they care about the BRF. (Must be all their scandals, ha).

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, Loveday said:

I saw a story on the news this morning about an 11 year old girl (in the US), who is mourning the Queen's passing. 

https://fox2now.com/news/national/11-year-old-alabama-queen-elizabeth-mourns-british-monarch/

Edited by libgirl2
  • Thank You 1

They say Charles and Anne were there with Elizabeth when she died, everyone else arrived after she was already gone.

• Thank You 7
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, AmazonGrace said:

They say Charles and Anne were there with Elizabeth when she died, everyone else arrived after she was already gone.

If she went pretty fast (which it seems she did), it is hard to get everyone there. We were with  my dad but for my mom, we were about 10 minutes late.  

• Upvote 2
  • Love 5

Yeah i think the ones who made it to her bedside were already in Scotland beforehand.

I saw an article in my non-English local news that said during the weekend a pastor visited her and at the time she was in good spirits and didn't seem to be ailing.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Yeah i think the ones who made it to her bedside were already in Scotland beforehand.

I saw an article in my non-English local news that said during the weekend a pastor visited her and at the time she was in good spirits and didn't seem to be ailing.

That seems to happen often. With my mom, she was in the nursing home with dementia. She was doing okay and then I got a call that she wasn't eating or drinking and they couldn't get her up. She was gone two days later. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 4

• Coconut Flan changed the title to The Queen/Prince Philip
  • samurai_sarah locked and unlocked this topic