IGNORED

Charles and Camilla

QuiverFullofBooks

3 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I knew I needed chickens in my life.

Chickens are messy and mean but also hilarious and practical. I am a fan. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

It's odd, because I've read a lot about Charles as a young man, and he is described as quiet and reserved. There's no mention of anger and impatience.

I've also seen descriptions of him as "broken" and "sad" because of the lack of nurturing in his childhood. When your mom disappears for six months at age 5 (and many other times as well), it's going to affect you. Phillip, I have read, did not see the children often and actually would write them notes instead. He had little patience for Charles, and snapped at him often, but Charles took this calmly.

I dont' know why Charles changed from a gentle, quiet man into an impatient, angry one. But I agree Camilla did not seem surprised. If my husband acted like that, I'd stare at him in astonishment, because he can usually handle things like a pen malfunction without upset. Camilla, though, seemed accustomed to such outbursts.

Camilla looked so exhausted. And it was a very formal event of the type she has long practice of not reacting during. I really don't think that he has a temper. It's never been said that he does and it's never shown before. It was one moment of frustration. I'd hate to have one moment of frustration when I was exhausted and grieving be used to define me. 

And on a lighter note, did you all see the video of a woman in Wales giving him a pen yesterday, "just in case"? He laughed heartily and accepted it. 

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, louisa05 said:

Camilla looked so exhausted. And it was a very formal event of the type she has long practice of not reacting during. I really don't think that he has a temper. It's never been said that he does and it's never shown before. It was one moment of frustration. I'd hate to have one moment of frustration when I was exhausted and grieving be used to define me. 

She does look exhausted, and I'm not sure why. She has servants that do practically everything for her. She doesn't even open her own car door. I know women her age who work full time!

Charles actually had two moments of frustration, at least two that were caught on tape. That is kind of a lot. How many did his mum have, in 70 years? (I don't' know, I'm just asking) She had her share of grief, too.

I understand she's going to a lot of events, but the world would not end if she skipped one or two. 

Edited by Jackie3
  • Fuck You 3
  • Downvote 3
  • Eyeroll 2

10 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

She does look exhausted, and I'm not sure why. She has servants that do practically everything for her. She doesn't even open her own car door. I know women her age who work full time!

Charles actually had two moments of frustration, at least two that were caught on tape. That is kind of a lot. How many did his mum have, in 70 years? (I don't' know, I'm just asking) She had her share of grief, too.

I understand she's going to a lot of events, but the world would not end if she skipped one or two. 

We've been through this before, grief is exhausting, let alone to be grieving and be constantly doing public events as well. 

But you've cleared up the question I asked the last time you started this "why would they be exhausted" thing with tales of servants. Clearly, you are a sociopath and have never even grieved a dead pet, let alone a parent or grandparent or even a dear in-law. For those of us who experience normal emotions, the loss of someone close to us--or seeing our spouse lose someone close--is very difficult and often we don't sleep or eat well and it shows. Instead of lashing out at a grieving family (any grieving family, not just this one) you should get psychiatric help for your complete lack of normal emotions or empathy. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 7

Clearly she does not believe Royals are human beings with human emotion who grieve, get stressed, feel happiness, love their children, love their spouses… They have servants for that! 

• Upvote 11

27 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Clearly she does not believe Royals are human beings with human emotion who grieve, get stressed, feel happiness, love their children, love their spouses… They have servants for that! 

When Diana was killed, my teenage Christian school students were mocking Harry and William for looking sad in public. I asked them why they thought they shouldn’t. One explained that they were 1–famous, 2–rich and 3–that means your mom isn’t “ like our moms” and 4–they were not Christians so they don’t love their family. I did my best to explain that everyone loves their mother in some way and people of all faiths live their families and that as Christians themselves, they should seek to always empathize with other people’s pain. 

Our troll reminds me of that. 

• Upvote 12
  • Sad 6

1 hour ago, SoSoNosy said:

Camilla is also standing on an injured foot (I read possibly a broken toe), in dress shoes.

Pain can be quite exhausting.

I’m not sure how much she is “exhausted by grief.” This was her MIL, they’ve had their problems over the years. It was the expected death of a 96-year old. The death means far more control over their own lives (plus vast wealth). Just how “exhausted by grief” is Camilla, really?

• Fuck You 2
  • Downvote 9
  • WTF 2

Just because it’s an in-law or an elderly person doesn’t mean that grief doesn’t exist. Just shut the fuck up already. There’s plenty of good points you make about the monarchy but judging someone’s grief is not one of them. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

@Jackie3 Here's what King Charles III usually eats for breakfast, and it isn't news:

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/king-charles-iii-never-eats-25013083

Oh, and here's Princess Anne: https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/what-princess-anne-eats-breakfast-25043241

Edited by samurai_sarah
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 4

14 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

Well, that article puts paid to the silly 'dozens of soft-boiled eggs at the ready for breakfast' fable, doesn't it? 

• Upvote 5

Their everyday food tastes are surprisingly basic and healthy for people who could have the most expensive gourmet fare  off solid gold plates when ever they wanted. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Loveday said:

Well, that article puts paid to the silly 'dozens of soft-boiled eggs at the ready for breakfast' fable, doesn't it? 

I've read about Charles' frugal breakfast ideas before, so this is hardly news. :) In all likelyhood - as another poster said- this happened once for a larger party, which is why the chef recalled it. Because it was out of the ordinary. After all, that's the kind of stuff you remember. Not that kind of thing where a few people just had jam on toast.

Maybe, I'm projecting, but I don't recall what I ate for breakfast three days ago. The time nine years ago, when I cooked a full Scottish breakfast for visitors and the haggis burst at 7am? Now that is the sort of story I remember. Three days ago? Probably toast with some sort of topping. So, I venture to say that the three dozen eggs were only worth mentioning, because it was out of the ordinary.

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 1

19 minutes ago, adidas said:

I found this paragraph from the article particularly resonant with my own experiences of grief. 

But guess what? Grief doesn’t go away just because you ignore it. It sits with you forever and you grow a new body around it. You learn to live with it, and the weight of it doesn’t drown you anymore. But it’s still there – it’s always there.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 6

3 hours ago, FiveAcres said:

I found this paragraph from the article particularly resonant with my own experiences of grief. 

As one who also recently lost her mother, this entire article resonated with me. Thanks for posting it. ❤️ 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 13

8 minutes ago, viii said:

I am so sorry for your loss, @Loveday

Thank you. It was this past April, so still a very fresh grief. I think it's one reason why I find the vigils to be so moving, especially those of her four children. I'm of their generation, and I had my mother almost as long as they had theirs. Despite their incredible privilege and status, at the end of the day, like me, they lost their mother, too. But they have to control their grief in public as much as possible, which I don't have to do, until the funeral is over and they can all go home and close the door for awhile. Well, except for Charles--he'll be expected to keep that door open forever, in a way. So I cut him some slack on his visible frustration over a leaky pen. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 4

I've been watching the final committal and the look on the King's face as he put the company colours on his mother's casket, watching it being lowered to the vault, and the oath...yeah something broke in me seeing that.

Whatever else he is this is a guy who lost his mother.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

I feel he knew his parents loved him and he obviously loved them back even if seems very cold and formal to modern eyes  because of the child rearing practices of that time and class and The choices they made as parents caused grief and problems along the way. 

• Upvote 2

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic