IGNORED

Charles and Camilla

QuiverFullofBooks

On 9/24/2022 at 3:09 PM, Giraffe said:

I heard about this a few months ago from one of Caitlin Doughty’s YouTube videos. I hope it becomes more mainstream by the time I die. I love the idea of my body being used for something good after death!

It just became legal in California. It’s already legal in Washington, Oregon, Colorado, and Vermont. While it’s not quite as cool as a Viking funeral, it’s definitely more eco friendly. 

• Love 1

The King's monogram has been revealed.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

On 9/22/2022 at 8:20 PM, Seahorse Wrangler said:

Human composting, given his visions of a greener planet.

A friend of mine wrote about the possibility  of composting people almost 50 years ago in the Red and Black,  UGA's daily student paper.

• Upvote 2

On 9/20/2022 at 6:00 PM, DalmatianCat said:

I wonder if Harry already has plans to be buried in the UK with the royal family or with his nuclear family in the US…

Why would he want to be buried away from the people he loves? He's clearly far more devoted to Meghan and the children. He's got many decades ahead of him, watching his kids grow up, working on projects with Meghan, having grandkids. He'd never choose to send his body back to the place that rejected his family.

christanio.png.f5ed5a15cea38b9aa521230aa0b6db8e.png

That's a bit funny, his logo is almost a duplicate of Ronaldo's. He should fire the Royal Logo-Maker!

Edited by Jackie3
  • Move Along 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, viii said:

I like it. 

It’s different.  Take a while to get used to as it starts making its way into everyday life in the UK.  

33 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

It’s different.  Take a while to get used to as it starts making its way into everyday life in the UK.  

There's all these little adjustments I didn't even think of. Like for example, I was reading about a local case here and it said that the defendant would be appearing at the King's Bench today. Totally threw me for a loop because all I have known is the Queen's Bench. 

The Bank of England announced the timeline for when Charles will appear on British banknotes

With a new monarch of the United Kingdom comes a series of revamped national symbols, including currency. Bank notes have long featured a portrait of whoever is wearing the crown, and on Tuesday, the Bank of England announced when King Charles III's own likeness will make its debut. 

The bank said that the king's portraits will make their way onto bank notes by the end of 2022 and will be featured on the front of all four polymer notes, including the £5, £10, £20 and £50. They will enter circulation by mid-2024, the Bank of England said in a statement.

Since 1960, bank notes have featured the portraits of Charles' mother, Queen Elizabeth II, who died this month at the age of 96. But they aren't getting out of the system just yet. 

"They will co-circulate with those featuring HM King Charles III," the Bank of England said. 

Sounds like the Royal Mint already struck coins with images of Charles on them and will be getting them into circulation soon.  Both the bank and the mint said there will continue to be QE2 and KC3 notes coexisting for some time to come.  

With the banknotes it's going to be fairly quick compared to his mother.  It took about eight years before bank notes with her picture entered circulation.

• Upvote 3

On 9/26/2022 at 1:22 AM, KnittingOwl said:

While it’s not quite as cool as a Viking funeral

That the way to go out in style. And now I want to watch Rocket Gibraltar. 

6 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

That the way to go out in style. And now I want to watch Rocket Gibraltar. 

Agreed. Total sense of style. Something about funeral pyres is just so appealing and I can’t really explain it. 

There’s one place in Colorado that allows open-air pyres and they do 12 per year. Technically that’s also a Jedi funeral, so you’d think you could get it allowed by claiming some kind of religious allowance. Isn’t it also common in Hindu practice? Maine is looking into allowing Viking funerals.

On 9/28/2022 at 3:28 AM, viii said:

There's all these little adjustments I didn't even think of. Like for example, I was reading about a local case here and it said that the defendant would be appearing at the King's Bench today. Totally threw me for a loop because all I have known is the Queen's Bench. 

I had a similar feeling when a person being interviewed on the radio was introduced as "KC.." - Queen's Counsel or QC is so familiar that KC was a bit jarring.

On 9/28/2022 at 4:39 AM, 47of74 said:

The bank said that the king's portraits will make their way onto bank notes by the end of 2022 and will be featured on the front of all four polymer notes,

We on the other hand are having a discussion about whether the monarch's portrait needs to be on the $5 note. General consensus on talk back is no, not really. Whose portrait does go on there will undoubtedly be a contentious topic (my vote is Bluey). 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

https://www.hellomagazine.com/fashion/royal-style/20221008153635/queen-consort-camilla-blue-velvet-dress-sebastian-faulks/

I'm not a fan of her dress.  It too closely resembles a ten year old bathrobe for me.  

It’s AWFUL. It makes her look short and fat. I’m not sure if she is either of those things TBH, but this dress is all wrong and a MAJOR nope from me. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

6 hours ago, Destiny said:

It’s AWFUL. It makes her look short and fat. I’m not sure if she is either of those things TBH, but this dress is all wrong and a MAJOR nope from me. 

Aesthetically, I get you, but... a long time ago, a boyfriend told me that my backside looked bad in a pair of jeans. The trousers were comfortable as all get-out. So... I got rid of him and bought another pair. :D

Edited by samurai_sarah
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 11
  • Love 18

She is an elderly person that has back problems. Would not surprise me if sometimes she has some particularly bad days and opts for comfort. 

• Upvote 11

It's the waist of the dress that's the problem. If it had something other than that loose gathering, it might not look so much like a bathrobe. The fabric also looks too heavy for the style of dress. A lighter velvet might have worked better. It almost looks too heavy for early October. 

• Upvote 3

It's the zipper, too.  I have a decades old prejudice against a zipper as ornament or even showing.  I learned to sew in the invisible zipper age where a hand sewn in zipper was a mark of quality.  Zippers like this one were only on inexpensive sportswear or loungewear.  The same goes with the draw string waist.  The whole thing shrieks K-mart.  

• Upvote 9

12 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

I'm not a fan of her dress.  It too closely resembles a ten year old bathrobe for me.  

Same here. Looks like my momʻs housecoats from the 1960s, the ones with a zip-up front.

Also, maybe it's the lighting, but that is too dull of a blue to be lapis.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

23 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

She is an elderly person that has back problems. Would not surprise me if sometimes she has some particularly bad days and opts for comfort. 

That's a good point.  I'm inclined to give both of them a pass on some things just because they're already up there in years.  I think that's something younger people forget that as people get older comfort moves up a bit on the priority list over fashionable, especially if their mobility is limited.

And it looks like the UK is aiming to have the coronation on June 3rd.

On Wednesday, U.K. officials announced that Charles is expected to officially be crowned on June 3, 2023. Although, Buckingham Palace declined to comment, Bloomberg reported that government figures said plans are being made for that Saturday at the beginning of summer. No other dates have yet been announced for other festivities or commonwealth holidays.

The big event will take place nearly 70 years exactly after his mother Queen Elizabeth II's coronation in 1953. It will mark the official beginning of his reign though he technically inherited the throne last month after Queen Elizabeth's death. Charles will be 74, making him the oldest person to be coronated in British History.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, viii said:

Charles and Camilla will have their coronation on Saturday, May 6th. 

Yeah I just saw that too that they'll be crowned on May 6.  Thought he would've wanted to keep it closer to the day his mother was crowned but I guess it's what he wants.  It will also be his grandson Archie's 4th birthday.

• Upvote 2

Easy enough to celebrate on the 5th or 7th or other close date as families do all the time when the child’s birthday occurs on a Holiday or other important event. 

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic