IGNORED

Charles and Camilla

QuiverFullofBooks

3 hours ago, SoSoNosy said:

I am deep into the Palace Papers book, and I am fascinated.

I can't wait to read a book written by someone who's actually knows the royal family.  Harry's book is out in January. 

So many people are making money off this family, it's makes sense for Harry to get his cut.

• Downvote 4
  • Haha 1

I learned something interesting today about those bearskin hats we'll be seeing at the coronation.

For each hat, at least one bear must be killed. They are shot by hunters, sometimes with bows and arrows, and nursing mothers can be killed as well.  This is not through a culling program, they are shot by sport hunters.

It takes a single bear to make one hat. The British Army orders 100 pelts a year. A viable substitute exists, and has even been offered for free, but the British are traditionalists.

bear2.jpg.af99881a4348d5163c84e84f5e0faedb.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 2

Somebodies been reading PETA. 

Black bear populations are overly high  and Like the Royal hunts It’s licensed managed Canadian cull in which the bears are wholly used and the meat and fur is processed. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4

Add me to the list of people who love Time Team! I got hooked on it during the shutdown and ended up watching all the episodes available on Prime. I’d love to see an episode on the Princes in the Tower. And I’m excited for the new episodes they’re working on, especially the Knights Hospitaller dig.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Bethella said:

I’d love to see an episode on the Princes in the Tower.

So would I. Really hope that C3 authorizes a full-on scientific investigation.

For an idea of what could be done, listen to this very in-depth 8-part podcast on the Richard III investigations from the University of Leicester team & associates that did the work.

• Upvote 4

On 10/29/2022 at 2:34 AM, tabitha2 said:

Somebodies been reading PETA. 

Black bear populations are overly high  and Like the Royal hunts It’s licensed managed Canadian cull in which the bears are wholly used and the meat and fur is processed. 

Officers' hats are made from (dyed) brown bear skins. The quality of the female brown bear fur is superior to the black bear. Brown bears are endangered. A single brown bear is killed to make each hat.

I wonder if Charles, the environmentalist, will change this practice.

For the ordinary soldier, a black bear dies for each hat. They are killed by sports hunters, who sell the pelts for over $750 per pelt. 

download-1.jpg.18b8c811fea4a1eb55ee51aa70e65893.jpg

This video shows how they are made (or were made in the 1950's). It's pretty clear that an entire bear is needed for one hat.

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/bear-skins

It puts all those Paddington bear references in perspective.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1
  • Move Along 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1

In Canada Black bears are overly numerous and brown bear populations are stable. The hunting is licensed, legal and regulated. Mothers and cubs are off limits. 

• Upvote 9

Also  a lot has changed in regulations since 1950.  Seriously, how anyone can argue in good faith about something when their point of référence is 70 years ago, I’ll never understand.  Considering how long firs are able to be used (from what I’ve read, a cap will last approximately 80 years), this really is grasping at straws.  Everything I’ve read says they are made from black bears, not brown. 

• Upvote 8

4 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

It puts all those Paddington bear references in perspective.

You actually went there. So classy. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Love 2

Officers' hats are made from (dyed) brown bear skins. The quality of the female brown bear fur is superior to the black bear. Brown bears are endangered. A single brown bear is killed to make each hat.

I wonder if Charles, the environmentalist, will change this practice.

For the ordinary soldier, a black bear dies for each hat. They are killed by sports hunters, who sell the pelts for over $750 per pelt. 

Umm... you need to decide which bear you are feeling sorry for.  Either a (dyed) brown  or a black bear that dies for each hat.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Brown bears are endangered. A single brown bear is killed to make each hat.

Neither brown nor black bears are endangered. They are the only bears not classified as threatened by the IUCN. Please check your facts. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 3

So you've said too many times already.

You're killing horses again.

:dead-horse:   :dead-horse:   :dead-horse:   

Just so you can :drama:

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 5
  • Love 2

39 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

So you've said too many times already.

You're killing horses again.

:dead-horse:   :dead-horse:   :dead-horse:   

Just so you can :drama:

And she‘s killing more than one horse per post. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 17
  • Thank You 1

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-63619660

Charles has had his first birthday as a king. The fun thing about being a monarch you get two birthdays every year... Oh to be a child king... think of how many birthday gifts you'd get.

Since Charles got to become king later in life, I suggest that to level things up, hereafter he should also get two Christmases and a random day every month when there's cake and clowns in his honor.

• Haha 7

On 11/10/2022 at 6:17 PM, TeaGrannie said:

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/king-charles-regrets-william-harry-procession-at-dianas-funeral/

US Weekly reporting Charles regrets having William and Harry walk behind Diana’s coffin. 

I would think so.  At the time, I read somewhere that TPTB were afraid a sniper would take Charles out, so they surrounded him with Phillip and the boys.  Charles was certainly not loved at that time.

• WTF 1

On 11/15/2022 at 2:22 AM, AmazonGrace said:

Since Charles got to become king later in life,

Honestly I am still surprised he became King at all. Between the longevity of his mother and the constant speculation for most of my life that he'd be forced to abdicate in favour of William (not to mention the perennial psychic predictions in the trashy magazines every January that definitely favoured William being crowned ahead of Charles - no I don't know either) part of me kind of wondered whether he would in fact never be King. As it is it'll be a short reign, most likely in troubled times - so I kind of hope he does enjoy it and manages to push through some changes.

• Upvote 2

There was never really the option for him not to become king. Yes, he could have abdicated, but that's not what their family believes. He was raised his entire life being taught that reigning was his God given right and he was to lead a life of service. The whole family disapproved of Edward abdicating in order to marry Wallis, it was an unforgiveable blight in some of their eyes. No matter how unpopular Charles was, abdicating was never really an option. He was always due to become king. 

And if he is as lucky as his parents, he could see 25 years on the throne (although I doubt he will, personally). 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

I think Charles has been living a rather healthy lifestyle and it seems those  Windsors tend to get old as long as they don‘t do one thing: smoke. Can anyone confirm that he doesn‘t? I know Camilla is a heavy smoker.

• Upvote 3

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic