IGNORED

Charles and Camilla

QuiverFullofBooks

He’s had 72 years with his father, 73 with his mother. That’s enough years where the small window of childhood isn’t as important. I am sure there are scars from his childhood, resulting in his own parenting struggles, but it’s evident enough how close he was to his parents, particularly his mother, in the later years. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

I am thankful the family went back after everybody left and had private moments with Elizabeth and Phillip, who had been moved from the vault.  I found a fascinating description of the vault.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, SoSoNosy said:

I am thankful the family went back after everybody left and had private moments with Elizabeth and Phillip, who had been moved from the vault.  I found a fascinating description of the vault.

Oooh share please. I’m so curious about the royal vaults. I’d love to go to Windsor Castle and see Henry VIII and Jane Seymour. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, viii said:

Oooh share please. I’m so curious about the royal vaults. I’d love to go to Windsor Castle and see Henry VIII and Jane Seymour. 

I want to see this description, too! I've been to Windsor Castle, years and years ago, and vividly remember seeing Henry VIII's marker at St George's. So unexpectedly plain, but there was no money to create a huge, ornate tomb for him. I remember at some point, not sure just where I was but a corridor somewhere either at St George's or in the castle, seeing a bit of 12th or 13th century grafitti on a wall, a face staring back at me down the ages--now that I think on it, it must have been in the castle because St George's wasn't there quite that early. I wanted to wander off so badly and explore on my own to see if I could find other gems like that, but of course I'd have been stopped pretty quickly, if not arrested outright! 😆 If you ever get there, be sure to have plenty of time to see everything; we were on a bus tour and only had a couple of hours! 😭

• Upvote 1

If I ever get to England, I plan to spend 2-3 weeks there so I can see anything. Maybe I’ll get a research grant for one of my novels one of these days. 🤞🏻

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, viii said:

If I ever get to England, I plan to spend 2-3 weeks there so I can see anything. Maybe I’ll get a research grant for one of my novels one of these days. 🤞🏻

That would be amazing. I'd love to go back one more time. I've gone three times in all, the second and third time were with my husband and were shorter visits than the first, but we were on our own not on a tour. Spent a good bit of time at St Paul's, Westminster ( I LOVE that place!), and the Tower, and also crossed the river to see Southwark Cathedral, which I highly recommend. Otherwise we just meandered around the city, and on our last trip, fifteen years ago, we took a train to Warwick where we met with a friend of mine who took us to the castle and then later in the day to Stratford upon Avon to wander around there for a bit. I was a lot younger then, though; I don't think I could do that much walking now!😏

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, viii said:

This article has good information on how vaults and burial areas are arranged at Windsor. 

This official guide has more detail. I did not realize that Edward IV (d. 1483) and his widow, the infamous Elizabeth Woodville, were buried there. Now, there's a pair of royals who created a shit-ton of scandal in their day.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

Charles looked so sad. The piper at the smaller ceremony walking off and the music getting quieter and quieter made me burst into tears. It was so beautiful. 

now onto a new chapter

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

It was a drawing and description of the underground tomb(s); people can't go there.  I'll look for it when I get to the office and get some time.

• Thank You 1

7 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

This article has good information on how vaults and burial areas are arranged at Windsor. 

This official guide has more detail. I did not realize that Edward IV (d. 1483) and his widow, the infamous Elizabeth Woodville, were buried there. Now, there's a pair of royals who created a shit-ton of scandal in their day.

Thanks for the links, I can’t wait to go down some rabbit holes today. 

Edward and Elizabeth Woodville were a fascinating pair in their day. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

54 minutes ago, SoSoNosy said:

This is not the exact diagram I found yesterday, but it is an even better description of what has happened.  

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/19840372/queen-coffin-st-georges-chapels-vault-tv/

This is an excellent visual, thank you! 

Interesting that they will be stacked. I just assumed the chamber was large enough that they would be laid kind of in a square formation. 

It's interesting to see who gets buried where.. I'm assuming more of the minor royals (Beatrice, Harry, Anne, etc) will be buried in the royal cemetery at Frogmore House. It seems like only monarchs and spouses these days are given burial at St. George's. 

35 minutes ago, viii said:

Interesting that they will be stacked.

This is a common practice, especially in cemeteries where coffin space is at a premium such as a historic cemetery or some veterans' cemeteries.

• Upvote 6

It does make sense, I just thought they'd have more room down there, since I don't think she's made provisions for anyone else to join them, such as Charles and Camilla, or William and Kate. I suppose a lot of work went into making the chamber and perhaps they wanted to do the least amount of space possible. 

• Upvote 2

The diagram I saw yesterday said there is space for 77 bodies down there.  I will look for it some more after I eat lunch.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, SoSoNosy said:

The diagram I saw yesterday said there is space for 77 bodies down there.  I will look for it some more after I eat lunch.  

In the King George VI Chapel? I thought it was just for their family. Please share the link if you can find it! I find this all so interesting. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, viii said:

In the King George VI Chapel? I thought it was just for their family. Please share the link if you can find it! I find this all so interesting. 

I did some volunteering at St George's Chapel a few years ago now and there is only room in the King George VI Chapel for George VI, his wife, Elizabeth II and her husband in full size coffins. I heard that one of the reasons Margaret was cremated was so that she could be interred in the George VI chapel.

The "room for 77 bodies" is the space in the wider Royal Vault.

• Thank You 10

15 minutes ago, rosamundi said:

I heard that one of the reasons Margaret was cremated was so that she could be interred in the George VI chapel.

Yes, we encountered this situation when planning for the interments of family members. The family plot (held for over 100 years) is in a historic cemetery so there is no ability to expand to adjacent areas. After the various coffin burials over the years there was only room for 2 more coffins or up to 8 cremation urns. Fortunately, our deceased family members had stated their preference for cremation so that was not an issue. For some, that is not an acceptable choice, whether for personal or religious reasons.

• Upvote 6

I may well have misread what it said; I stupidly thought I would be able to go right back to it.  I did wonder how the seating above was supported if everything underneath was hollow.  It wasn't something I went directly to, I was reading an article and this popped up on the side.  Still looking.

8 hours ago, viii said:

This is an excellent visual, thank you! 

Interesting that they will be stacked. I just assumed the chamber was large enough that they would be laid kind of in a square formation. 

It's interesting to see who gets buried where.. I'm assuming more of the minor royals (Beatrice, Harry, Anne, etc) will be buried in the royal cemetery at Frogmore House. It seems like only monarchs and spouses these days are given burial at St. George's. 

I wonder if Harry already has plans to be buried in the UK with the royal family or with his nuclear family in the US…

• Haha 2

On 9/20/2022 at 12:18 PM, viii said:

It does make sense, I just thought they'd have more room down there, since I don't think she's made provisions for anyone else to join them, such as Charles and Camilla, or William and Kate. I suppose a lot of work went into making the chamber and perhaps they wanted to do the least amount of space possible. 

When George VI died it had been unexpected enough that they didn't have a spot set aside for him yet.  St. George's Chapel was full at the time so they had to build a small addition on to the chapel and make it look like it somewhat fit in with the existing structure on the outside so that he'd have a burial spot and it was decided then to have spots for George and his wife plus Elizabeth and Phillip.

A security expert said the planning is already underway for when Charles leaves

With Queen Elizabeth II now laid to rest and Operation London Bridge successfully executed planning will now commence for King Charles III's funeral, a security expert says.

Former Royal Protection Officer Simon Morgan said plans for Operation Menai Bridge - the personal funeral plan of the now King - will begin "tomorrow".

"Unfortunately as of tomorrow morning planning for Operation Menai Bridge will start in earnest," he told Today.

Which makes sense, of course.  Elizabeth and the government planned for her passing starting in the 1960s and given the age of the new King they have to start getting ready for that eventuality. 

Something that's been churning around in my head is if the King and Camilla will opt for cremation when the time comes?  Even if they decide on being placed elsewhere given how Princess Margaret was cremated and some Archbishops of Canterbury chose cremation I do wonder if Charles will try that bit of innovation.  

On 9/20/2022 at 1:10 PM, hoipolloi said:

Yes, we encountered this situation when planning for the interments of family members. The family plot (held for over 100 years) is in a historic cemetery so there is no ability to expand to adjacent areas. After the various coffin burials over the years there was only room for 2 more coffins or up to 8 cremation urns. Fortunately, our deceased family members had stated their preference for cremation so that was not an issue. For some, that is not an acceptable choice, whether for personal or religious reasons.

My aunt who died in 2015 was cremated so she could be placed with her parents - something all her siblings agreed to beforehand.  I believe her husband is planning to do the same and be buried with his parents.  I had been planning on being cremated and being buried in my parents resting place but I changed that after Roe was overturned since I don't want to be buried in a Catholic cemetery.  I do wonder sometimes if my parents will decide on cremation after all when their time comes, my mom was asking the funeral director and the cemetery manager about cremation for Catholics when my aunt's committal service was done after the cremation had been completed.  Whatever they want to do is cool with me.

My paternal grandparents bought six lots a number of years after grandpa passed.  My parents were given two of the plots for their eventual use.  When the plots were purchased the section had just been opened up so the lots were out at the edge of the section.  My dad's youngest sister wanted to be buried somewhere close by but even though it's a newer section it's pretty much all spoken for already, and is getting fuller by the year. 

Edited by 47of74
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 2

On 9/22/2022 at 5:20 PM, Seahorse Wrangler said:

Human composting, given his visions of a greener planet.

I heard about this a few months ago from one of Caitlin Doughty’s YouTube videos. I hope it becomes more mainstream by the time I die. I love the idea of my body being used for something good after death!

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic