IGNORED

Charles and Camilla

QuiverFullofBooks

He also had another incident this week with being impatient with a fountain pen stand that was left where he needed to sign papers.  I noticed with many of his other fussy/demanding behaviors that his staff have noted - toothpaste on the brush, tying his shoes - it seems to be things that impact his hands — which clearly look very, very  painful — I have a chronic condition that makes some things very painful and difficult , and I’ve found ways to minimize that for various activities. But if someone/something messes up my expectation for how to perform the task with the least pain and struggle I can get VERY snappy and flustered.  Not to make excuses for someone who has a servant for absolutely everything — but I can have some understanding for this particular thing.

• Upvote 19

1 hour ago, Mama Mia said:

He also had another incident this week with being impatient with a fountain pen stand that was left where he needed to sign papers.  I noticed with many of his other fussy/demanding behaviors that his staff have noted - toothpaste on the brush, tying his shoes - it seems to be things that impact his hands — which clearly look very, very  painful — I have a chronic condition that makes some things very painful and difficult , and I’ve found ways to minimize that for various activities.

Elizabeth once broker her wrist and got right back on her horse. She didn't even have it x-rayed for another 24 hours.

She also had back pain, knee surgeries, gastroenteritis, mobility issues and Covid, among other things.

Despite this, there are no videos of her acting like a spoiled baby.

• Move Along 2

And some people are just kinda snappy and that doesn't make them horrible childish people.

His mother was so extremely un-reactive to everything he seems wildly emotional in comparison. 

I'll be curious how he is and how people react longer term.  I would love to know the truth about him in person.  What a strange life...waiting and waiting and waiting.  And I would assume they have already got a draft for his funeral arrangements. Seems horrible to me. At 70 I hope to be living in a little house wearing whatever comfortable mismatched mumu ensemble I throw together and known as that nice crazy lady who's always at the library or walking her dogs.

Edited by WatchingTheTireFireBurn
Autocorrect
  • Upvote 20

1 hour ago, Jackie3 said:

Elizabeth once broker her wrist and got right back on her horse. She didn't even have it x-rayed for another 24 hours.

She also had back pain, knee surgeries, gastroenteritis, mobility issues and Covid, among other things.

Despite this, there are no videos of her acting like a spoiled baby.

Ok? And? They are different people. Should he cope better? Sure. Should his mother been less focused on keeping up appearances at the cost of everything else? Sure. Are they a ridiculously entitled messy family with a really bizarre ingrained structure that is 100% guaranteed to reinforce personality flaws and feuds - absofuckinglutely.  Still fascinating to watch. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

Ok? And? They are different people. Should he cope better? Sure. Should his mother been less focused on keeping up appearances at the cost of everything else? Sure. Are they a ridiculously entitled messy family with a really bizarre ingrained structure that is 100% guaranteed to reinforce personality flaws and feuds - absofuckinglutely.  Still fascinating to watch. 

Exactly. They are very different people. 

There is nothing admirable about acting like a spoiled, rude baby at the age of 73. 

1 hour ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

What a strange life...waiting and waiting and waiting.

Was he, though? I wonder if he was dreading it and hoping his mother would remain Queen as long as possible. I think he was happier puttering around his country estate, and had no desire to take over his mother's job. I don't think he was "waiting" for her to die, nor do I think he was "waiting" to become king. I think he was dreading it

1 hour ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

And some people are just kinda snappy and that doesn't make them horrible childish people.

No, it depends on who they are. That determines how much grace they get.

King of England?  Oh, he's just "kinda snappy." He's grieving. He's tired.

Mixed race wife who rejected palace?  She's a real b**tch for complaining about ink on her hand!

Edited by Jackie3
  • Move Along 2
  • Downvote 3

14 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

Exactly. They are very different people. 

There is nothing admirable about acting like a spoiled, rude baby at the age of 73. 

Was he, though? I wonder if he was dreading it and hoping his mother would remain Queen as long as possible. I think he was happier puttering around his country estate, and had no desire to take over his mother's job. I don't think he was "waiting" for her to die, nor do I think he was "waiting" to become king. I think he was dreading it

No, it depends on who they are. That determines how much grace they get.

King of England?  Oh, he's just "kinda snappy." He's grieving. He's tired.

Mixed race wife who rejected palace?  She's a real b**tch for complaining about ink on her hand!

Literally no one has said there is anything admirable about acting snappy. No one. Not one person. There is a difference between speculating on reasons for behavior, or understanding when some negative behaviors happen — and admiring said behavior.  Not every single thing is a competition between who can be more awful, or how various members of the family are perceived. 

• Upvote 13

24 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

Literally no one has said there is anything admirable about acting snappy. No one. Not one person.

There's an awful lot of excuse-making going on for this not-terribly-regal new King. It's a shame that no one can see the truth--Charles is being rude, pissy and arrogant. I don't have any servants, and he has tons, yet i wouldn't treat a hotel maid the way he has treated his personal servants.

Try to imagine him as a Black king--it might be easier to see his flaws then, because you'll be pre-disposed to be critical.

As for his "responsibiliies"--remember, this is a ceremonial position. The world will go on if he missing a meeting of the "Ascension Council."

A truly regal King--there have been some--would say, "Could you bring me another pen and a handkerchief, please?"

I couldn't do it without a single misstep so I'm willing to cut Charles a little slack.

Because grief is exhausting. 

All the older and senior royals probably need a couple days off to rest and prepare for the funeral.  Camilla looked ready to drop at Westminster.  Charles look weary and Anne needs a good rest.

They have been on their toes and performing, since a beloved family member died. A good rest sounds just about right for all of them.

I feel for the guy.

4 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

But if someone/something messes up my expectation for how to perform the task with the least pain and struggle I can get VERY snappy and flustered.

It’s been three months since my grandma died and I’m STILL exhausted. Grief is hard, regardless of who you are. I had the luxury of crawling into bed for days, Charles does not. I’ll give him a pass. 

4 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

I noticed with many of his other fussy/demanding behaviors that his staff have noted - toothpaste on the brush, tying his shoes - it seems to be things that impact his hands — which clearly look very, very  painful

Edited by Jackie3
  • Fuck You 2
  • Downvote 7

11 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

There's an awful lot of excuse-making going on for this not-terribly-regal new King. It's a shame that no one can see the truth--Charles is being rude, pissy and arrogant. I don't have any servants, and he has tons, yet i wouldn't treat a hotel maid the way he has treated his personal servants.

Try to imagine him as a Black king--it might be easier to see his flaws then, because you'll be pre-disposed to be critical.

As for his "responsibiliies"--remember, this is a ceremonial position. The world will go on if he missing a meeting of the "Ascension Council."

A truly regal King--there have been some--would say, "Could you bring me another pen and a handkerchief, please?"

You’re silly. As someone who is prone to being snappy, and someone who has a (different) chronic medical condition that requires adjustments to how things are done I was speculating. What on earth does his race have to do with it? Not EVERY single thing ties back to that.  I would be beyond shocked if there was a single male in that family who wasn’t far more arrogant and entitled than he should be (the women too-but the men seem far more bred to it, while the women have keep sweet down to a science) 

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
removed double quote box
  • Upvote 9

4 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Just stop it. Baselessly accusing everyone here of racism won‘t make any of you points more valid.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

She is doing this because she knows it will always trigger some kind of response and  I highly doubt she could care less about racism itself . Honestly no acknowledgement of any kind is the best option. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

Aw, you quoted me! I stand by my comment - grief IS exhausting and it can make people act out, even if they shouldn't. If Charles continues to act like this six months from now, I'll be a lot more critical. But within a week of his mother's death and all his new responsibilities, then yes - I'll give him a pass. 

• Upvote 13
  • Love 4

So the news is reporting after Camilla slipped a little in Wales that she has a broken toe.  I am impressed with her demeanor this week.  Not once has she grimaced or let on that she is in pain. 

• Upvote 7

10 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

This is pretty despicable and baseless accusation.  @Mama Mia hasn't shown the slightest hint of racism in the years she's been on FJ.

You can't paint people with a hateful brush and state your assumptions about what they think as fact when their racism is nothing but your own invention.

You can't create your own reality to prove your narrative.

2 hours ago, viii said:

Aw, you quoted me! I stand by my comment - grief IS exhausting and it can make people act out, even if they shouldn't. If Charles continues to act like this six months from now, I'll be a lot more critical. But within a week of his mother's death and all his new responsibilities, then yes - I'll give him a pass. 

I agree.  As much as I detest the system they are people.  I judge the heck out of them for many, many things they've done over the years and things they should have done and didn't but this stuff?  They're still human.

I was in my mid 20s when I lost my parents and the emotional exhaustion was overwhelming.  Had I had to go on a PR junket with fresh grief my snippiness would have made this guy look like Mr. Rogers.

I think many people are truly vile, but that doesn't mean every action is an indication of evil.

• Upvote 14
  • Love 8

I think that the constant presence of cameras is one of the worst parts of being in the royal family now. Unlike everyone else in the world who can have a moment where they are not their best selves, the members of the royal family can't. Charles' mother has just died. He's tired. Let's face it, he is an old man starting a very demanding job. The ink thing seemed like a very human reaction. Maybe just one more thing that has gone wrong. 

I also imagine that there were a lot fewer cameras around when Queen Elizabeth was starting out and the press were certainly more amenable to not publicizing every possible negative story about the monarch in the early 1950s. The Queen was not a perfect person either. Of course, she became very good at her job after doing it for 70 years. 

Charles reminds me a little bit of my dad. I haven't always gotten along with him. He has been difficult to be around at times. When he is stressed especially, he overreacts to small things. But none of this makes him a terrible person. I know he loves our family and I know that he has worked very hard for many years as a doctor to take good care of his patients. He is an imperfect person. This is the impression I get of Charles. He's not a saint. But I think he should get a little time to settle into his new job. 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 4

5 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

This is pretty despicable and baseless accusation.  @Mama Mia hasn't shown the slightest hint of racism in the years she's been on FJ.

You can't paint people with a hateful brush and state your assumptions about what they think as fact when their racism is nothing but your own invention.

You can't create your own reality to prove your narrative.

I agree.  As much as I detest the system they are people.  I judge the heck out of them for many, many things they've done over the years and things they should have done and didn't but this stuff?  They're still human.

I was in my mid 20s when I lost my parents and the emotional exhaustion was overwhelming.  Had I had to go on a PR junket with fresh grief my snippiness would have made this guy look like Mr. Rogers.

I think many people are truly vile, but that doesn't mean every action is an indication of evil.

Man, you really have missed a lot! The entire M.O. of this particular troll is bad faith interpretations and twisting posters innocent words to sound horrific. I haven’t put the troll on ignore just so I can explain to its victims that they are innocent and don’t need to apologise for something that nobody misinterpreted.

Though now that the troll has flung this much extra shit around in the last 9 days and so many more people now know it’s a troll, I might finally use the ignore function.

Nice to see you back! 😄

I just went back and checked and I personally have been explaining to other posters that this troll is trolling since early April!! Pretty sure someone else pointed it out to me. Actually I am rather astonished it hasn’t been banned for disruptive behaviour, though I couldn’t access the FAQs when I wanted to read up on the rules last month.

Edited by Mrs Ms
Timeline
  • Upvote 8
  • Love 4

45 minutes ago, Mrs Ms said:

Man, you really have missed a lot! The entire M.O. of this particular troll is bad faith interpretations and twisting posters innocent words to sound horrific. I haven’t put the troll on ignore just so I can explain to its victims that they are innocent and don’t need to apologise for something that nobody misinterpreted.

Though now that the troll has flung this much extra shit around in the last 9 days and so many more people now know it’s a troll, I might finally use the ignore function.

Nice to see you back! 😄

I just went back and checked and I personally have been explaining to other posters that this troll is trolling since early April!! Pretty sure someone else pointed it out to me. Actually I am rather astonished it hasn’t been banned for disruptive behaviour, though I couldn’t access the FAQs when I wanted to read up on the rules last month.

Thanks, nice to be back :)

I have since scrolled back a bit, although not totally caught up.  The FAQ is working for me, so if it's not for you let me know the issue and I'll troubleshoot.

There is a line between thread disruption and trolling, and on FJ run of the mill trolling doesn't get banned.  I think that rule is generally for the greater good, but I understand that it's frustrating.  There are tons of old threads in CD discussing this if you're ever in need of a rabbit hole.

Since this is the Charles and Camilla thread and I do enjoy staying on topic, have you guys heard of his weird breakfast requirements where the cook has to keep dozens of eggs on the boil so he doesn't have to wait 3 minutes for his soft boiled eggs when he wants to be served?  How does he reconcile that with preaching sustainability?

I haven't had a proper soft boiled egg since my mom died.  I am an okay cook, but that's one thing I could never master.

• Upvote 6

11 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I have since scrolled back a bit, although not totally caught up.  The FAQ is working for me, so if it's not for you let me know the issue and I'll troubleshoot.

There is a line between thread disruption and trolling, and on FJ run of the mill trolling doesn't get banned.  I think that rule is generally for the greater good, but I understand that it's frustrating.  There are tons of old threads in CD discussing this if you're ever in need of a rabbit hole.

Since this is the Charles and Camilla thread and I do enjoy staying on topic, have you guys heard of his weird breakfast requirements where the cook has to keep dozens of eggs on the boil so he doesn't have to wait 3 minutes for his soft boiled eggs when he wants to be served?  How does he reconcile that with preaching sustainability?

I haven't had a proper soft boiled egg since my mom died.  I am an okay cook, but that's one thing I could never master.

I know nothing about Prince Charles’s eating habits but can attest that the 3 minute rule for soft boiled only works if the eggs are room temperature at the start. It works best when the eggs are freshly laid and still warm when put in the water.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

16 minutes ago, noseybutt said:

I know nothing about Prince Charles’s eating habits but can attest that the 3 minute rule for soft boiled only works if the eggs are room temperature at the start. It works best when the eggs are freshly laid and still warm when put in the water.

I knew I needed chickens in my life.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 11

30 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I’m not sure that’s real. There is a real story from his housekeeper’s memoir about a time when he brought his hunting buddies home and, idk, boiled eggs are a normal thing after hunting? Anyway, she boiled some eggs, they were late, she boiled more eggs, and it ended up being three dozen eggs, because God forbid they wait three minutes. I really doubt that the cook is throwing out eggs all morning long, or if he is, it’s his own initiative. His former (like, 1980s) valet said that Charles really disliked food waste.

• Upvote 11

It’s one of those True! facts! Trolls and  Charles haters like to bring up every five minutes. A mix of half truth and exaggeration  most likely. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Thanks! Just checked FAQs and they are working again just fine. I’ve probably read about half the CD discussions and just realised I should said put in the Prayer Closet or sent on JTTH and not banned.

Regarding the new king. Rejoice! We now know his egg preference! 😂 Maybe because he is so invested in organic farming practices he feels less worried about food waste as composting is a huge part of the practice? Though I agree with previous posters that it is probably a partial truth from one incident turned into “hE inSisTs on waStiNg 24 eGgs foR BreakFasT!!11!!”

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

It’s one of those True! facts! Trolls and  Charles haters like to bring up every five minutes. A mix of half truth and exaggeration  most likely. 

Yep. The toothpaste thing was when he injured his arm or shoulder playing polo years ago. Then it became a story told forever. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

On 9/14/2022 at 11:24 AM, hoipolloi said:

In the two clips I've seen, the expressions on Camilla's face suggest that she's very familiar with this behavior and probably anticipated his public outbursts.

C3 may have grown up in a spotlight but it got turned off for long periods of time, allowing him to have a fairly private life. I'd guess that for many years his public appearances have also gotten minimal coverage. That's all changed now. 

It's odd, because I've read a lot about Charles as a young man, and he is described as quiet and reserved. There's no mention of anger and impatience.

I've also seen descriptions of him as "broken" and "sad" because of the lack of nurturing in his childhood. When your mom disappears for six months at age 5 (and many other times as well), it's going to affect you. Phillip, I have read, did not see the children often and actually would write them notes instead. He had little patience for Charles, and snapped at him often, but Charles took this calmly.

I dont' know why Charles changed from a gentle, quiet man into an impatient, angry one. But I agree Camilla did not seem surprised. If my husband acted like that, I'd stare at him in astonishment, because he can usually handle things like a pen malfunction without upset. Camilla, though, seemed accustomed to such outbursts.

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic