IGNORED

Charles and Camilla

QuiverFullofBooks

He was probably going on to more activities and didn't want to be going around with ink stained hands for people to talk about plus the last week has been amazingly draining for him.

On the other side, if you know the King is coming to sign something why would you not test the pen beforehand and have a spare?  

• Upvote 5

15 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

On the other side, if you know the King is coming to sign something why would you not test the pen beforehand and have a spare? 

Yes, and if the King is signing and dating a document he should be briefed right beforehand on the date. We all get dates confused now and then. He has been signing documents during his grief, so I'm not surprised at all he needed clarification. He's probably not getting much sleep.

• Upvote 5

Any thoughts on this, about Charles's counsellors of state? 

However, Princess Anne is excluded because when she was born, male heirs had first right to the throne over females – a rule known as male royal primogeniture.

In 2013 a new law, the Succession to the Crown Act, abolished this and gave women equal rights to men in the line of succession. The Act applies to those born after 28 October 2011. As this law is not retrospective, Anne, 71, misses out.

It means that for King Charles, the counsellors of state are is his wife Camilla, the Queen Consort, his sons Prince William and Prince Harry, his brother Prince Andrew, and his niece, Princess Beatrice.

The Duke of York’s daughter is ninth in line to the throne, but is the fourth eligible adult aged over 21. Like Prince Andrew and Prince Harry, Beatrice is not a working royal.

The Queen’s counsellors of state were her husband Prince Philip until his death, Charles, William, Harry and Andrew.

It would require new legislation to be passed for the Princess Royal to replace Andrew.

• Thank You 2

2 hours ago, louisa05 said:

Charles is notoriously cheap with clothing. He keeps and repairs the same suits for decades. 

You should read his valet's book. Charles has at least 44 uniforms alone! His shoes are custom-made, and have been for decades. . I think that is a narrative put out by the palace to. make him seem humble. 

1 hour ago, KnittingOwl said:

Or he just wanted to go wash the fountain pen ink before it dried and set. I know that’s what I try to do any time my fountain pens leak on my hands. Otherwise it takes a lot longer to get the ink off. 

I don't understand why they are using fountain pens instead of a Bic. Bics rarely leak.

Does anyone know why they are using fountain pens? If you watch the video, the servant is clearly unscrewing something and removing something else. It's not an ordinary pen. 

9 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

But he looks very king and master when he just walks away and won't wait fifteen seconds for Camilla to be done.

"King and master"? Is that the new name for someone being rude? 

King is not synonymous with rude.  George VI was known as a kind and gentle man. I think he'd have waited for his wife. Charles was just being impatient and rude, that is not kingly at all. 

Imagine turning rudeness into a good quality by calling it "looking very king and master."  There were good, respectful kings who would never have treated their wives that way.

19 minutes ago, Bobology said:

He's probably not getting much sleep.

Because signing documents is so exhausting?

The guys has a servant for everything. Reportedly, he doesn't even put toothpaste on his toothbrush. I can't imagine he's too exhausted from signing his name.

Now his servants--they may be tired.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Downvote 5

40 minutes ago, Anna Bolinas said:

Any thoughts on this, about Charles's counsellors of state? 

The Queen’s counsellors of state were her husband Prince Philip until his death, Charles, William, Harry and Andrew.

That was an ever-changing role of people. Her mother The Dowager Queen was given that role by law in the Regency Council on 1953. People are replaced when the latest member reaches 18, if a direct heir or 21 if not.   It's just the four highest members of succession of an age of responsibility. 

A new Act of Regency could change who who can be appointed as Councillors of State.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Jackie3 said:

I don't understand why they are using fountain pens instead of a Bic. Bics rarely leak.

Does anyone know why they are using fountain pens? If you watch the video, the servant is clearly unscrewing something and removing something else. It's not an ordinary pen. 

Bics rarely leak but the ink isn't archival ink. If it's an official document connected with the accession it will need to be signed with archival ink which is waterproof, permanent, and trashes your pen if you're not careful. It's the same ink registrars and the clergy use for signing official documents such as birth and marriage certificates.

I have a couple of fountain pens where the lid unscrews rather than just pulling off, and if I had to use archival ink I'd make sure it was in a specific, easily identifiable pen.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 7

Spoiler

Imagine turning rudeness into a good quality by calling it "looking very king and master." 

I never said rudeness was a good quality but you do you. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Personally I use fountain pens because they require a lot less pressure to get the ink to flow. With a ballpoint, you generally have to push down to write. That was causing lots of pain and repetitive stress injuries in my right hand during grad school (coupled with lab work). Plus I just enjoy the experience of writing with a fountain pen and having all of the different pens, nibs, and inks to play with. Sure, sometimes I look like my four year old when she got loose in the Sharpies, but usually it’s not a problem.  

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

I think it’s a shame that the incident with the pen happened. Public opinion over here in the UK was right behind him, he’d given a really moving speech and people were really warming to him. I know he’s under huge pressure and he must be knackered - but so was the Queen on many occasions and we never ever saw her behave like that. He has a reputation for being fussy and sometimes difficult and if he wants his subjects on his side I think he needs to work on that, at least in public.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lollipopgirl said:

He has a reputation for being fussy and sometimes difficult and if he wants his subjects on his side I think he needs to work on that, at least in public.

I agree but I also think it‘s not that big a deal. This incident won‘t be what ends the monarchy. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, Lollipopgirl said:

I think it’s a shame that the incident with the pen happened. Public opinion over here in the UK was right behind him, he’d given a really moving speech and people were really warming to him. I know he’s under huge pressure and he must be knackered - but so was the Queen on many occasions and we never ever saw her behave like that. He has a reputation for being fussy and sometimes difficult and if he wants his subjects on his side I think he needs to work on that, at least in public.

I feel for the guy.  He spent over 70 years preparing and waiting for his assigned job to become available, and that could only occur upon the death of his mother (who clearly had no intention of abdicating).  A life of privilege and responsibility, within tight constraints.  I imagine he's had many moments of ambivalence.  Now he really needs to perform, while he, his country, and others mourn a leader they really liked.

I agree he should work on his public "face".  Unfortunately, it matters.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

All the older and senior royals probably need a couple days off to rest and prepare for the funeral.  Camilla looked ready to drop at Westminster.  Charles look weary and Anne needs a good rest.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

12 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

All the older and senior royals probably need a couple days off to rest and prepare for the funeral.  Camilla looked ready to drop at Westminster.  Charles look weary and Anne needs a good rest.

They have been on their toes and performing, since a beloved family member died. A good rest sounds just about right for all of them.

• Upvote 14

11 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

You should read his valet's book. Charles has at least 44 uniforms alone! His shoes are custom-made, and have been for decades. . I think that is a narrative put out by the palace to. make him seem humble. 

"King and master"? Is that the new name for someone being rude? 

King is not synonymous with rude.  George VI was known as a kind and gentle man. I think he'd have waited for his wife. Charles was just being impatient and rude, that is not kingly at all. 

Imagine turning rudeness into a good quality by calling it "looking very king and master."  There were good, respectful kings who would never have treated their wives that way.

Because signing documents is so exhausting?

The guys has a servant for everything. Reportedly, he doesn't even put toothpaste on his toothbrush. I can't imagine he's too exhausted from signing his name.

Now his servants--they may be tired.

Because grief is exhausting. Are you a sociopath? Add in suddenly becoming a head of state responsible for leading a nation in mourning…. 

The Accession Council met Saturday morning. Charles’s schedule prior: 

Thursday: rush to Balmoral as his mother was (by all accounts suddenly) near death. Witness her death. Handle family concerns. Issue statement to press/world. Process an entirely new role on the world stage. 

Friday: Travel to London. Greet crowds at Buckingham Palace. Finalize immediate arrangements as the King must approve them. Approve and record a speech that will be broadcast around the world. Go through first full batch of state documents. Meet with the Prime Minister. Sort any family issues. Continue to process that you’ve lost your mother and that you’re now the head of state (whether FJ approves or not) of 15 nations. 

Saturday would have began with another red box, and then the Accession Council. That was followed by more meetings with government officials and more travel to meet other officials and greet the public. 

When my dad died, we went to the funeral home to make immediate arrangements which took about 30 minutes. Then we had nothing required of us for two and a half days and we were still exhausted 

• Upvote 16
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 4

@louisa05 yes to all of that - plus he just lost his father what... 16 months ago? Even when parents are old it's still incredibly hard! To lose one parent is terrible, to lose both and to have to grieve while the whole world is watching? I couldn't do it without a single misstep so I'm willing to cut Charles a little slack.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 4

As a person who most uncharacteristically threw a package of vacuum bags at the store clerk who refused to refund them just after my mum died, I am going to cut C3 some slack on the whole pen incident. 

Now, if this becomes a ongoing pattern of petulancy into the future, then I'll be more critical, particularly once he's settled into his role and the grief isn't so fresh. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 5

I have been wanting to log in since it happened, thought of you guys first when I heard.

Can't wait to get caught up later....anyone for taking bets on how many pages I get through before blood pours out of my ears and I go back to lurking on abolish the monarchy sub on reddit?  Ha!

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Haha 14
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

As a person who most uncharacteristically threw a package of vacuum bags at the store clerk who refused to refund them just after my mum died, I am going to cut C3 some slack on the whole pen incident. 

Now, if this becomes a ongoing pattern of petulancy into the future, then I'll be more critical, particularly once he's settled into his role and the grief isn't so fresh. 

My husband worked in a large manufacturing plant when my dad died. He couldn’t have his phone and getting him to a phone from the main number family was supposed to use for emergencies would have been a long thing. Because we expected it, his immediate supervisor who was allowed to have a phone on him had husband give me his number to call. So I called about ten minutes after dad passed. The supervisor knew why when I told him who I was and asked if I wanted to wait until he got husband or just have husband call me back. I said “have him call”. Then for no reason I knew then or now immediately hung up on the man. 

• Love 5

It’s been three months since my grandma died and I’m STILL exhausted. Grief is hard, regardless of who you are. I had the luxury of crawling into bed for days, Charles does not. I’ll give him a pass. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 6

2 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I have been wanting to log in since it happened, thought of you guys first when I heard.

Can't wait to get caught up later....anyone for taking bets on how many pages I get through before blood pours out of my ears and I go back to lurking on abolish the monarchy sub on reddit?  Ha!

My bet? Just wait until you meet the new girl 🥴

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 14

15 minutes ago, adidas said:

My bet? Just wait until you meet the new girl 🥴

Someone will have to arrange a formal introduction...fair warning I haven't curtseyed since I was very little and back then I'd raise my skirt up too high and scandalize all and sundry.  

Let's see if middle-aged me can get it right?  

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, SoSoNosy said:

You won't be doing any curtsying.  Trust me.

It's more of a hopscotch over troll turd situation than tea time at the palace.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, Dandruff said:

troll turd 

This part made my day!  May Rufus bless you for all eternity 🦌

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic