IGNORED

Dillards 91: Increments of Change or Not?

samurai_sarah

Did we ever get a picture of the Dillard boys going to school? Sam is in Kindergarten so I think that would warrant a photo. Any thoughts that Jill might be back to homeschooling? I hope not!

• I Agree 3

there's been pictures of israel eating lunch at home instead of at school given the date so im in the camp that she's homeschooling. 

• Sad 5

Jill ran into Amy at the most recent Rhea Lana sale yesterday. Amy noted that Jill only had Freddy. I think the boys were in school.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4

52 minutes ago, marmalade said:

Jill ran into Amy at the most recent Rhea Lana sale yesterday. Amy noted that Jill only had Freddy. I think the boys were in school.

I also remember that photo. OTOH, she has not mentioned or shown anything about homeschooling.

Just now, SassyPants said:

I also remember that photo. OTOH, she has not mentioned or shown anything about homeschooling.

No, she hasn't. 

9 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Didn’t Jill say that Cathy was watching the other boys?

I had only seen Amy's post, so I just checked Jill's stories. She did say that Cathy was looking after the older boys. It was unclear what time of day it was though. All I know for sure is that they were there yesterday. Jill was just tardy putting up her stories today. 

Edited by marmalade

Like SassyPants, I too was wondering why we haven't seen any back-to-school pictures of the boys yet.  But I did check The Dillard Family FB page and note there really haven't been a ton of postings over the last few weeks.  I hope Jill hasn't decided to homeschool either and that Derick is still holding fast to his belief that the boys need a good education, if only to become the next Pistol Pete at college.  Maybe the day that Israel was eating lunch at home was a professional day for teachers only.  We can only hope.     

I also wonder if Jill hasn't posted any school pictures of the boys-especially photos taken around the school-because of Derick's job?  Maybe Derick, as a public defender  (oops, prosecutor-thanks JDuggs!), doesn't want people to know just exactly where his sons attend school due to safety concerns. 

Edited by HeartsAFundie
  • Upvote 12

12 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

Derick is a prosecutor, not a public defender.

Thank you! I was able to edit my comment and give you the credit.  🙂

Either way, I wouldn't blame Derick for being cautious about sharing details pertaining to his sons' lives.  

Edited by HeartsAFundie
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

This is the first year where I saw a LOT of attention to the fact that it’s not flipping smart to tell people where your children are by these silly back to school posts. I also have moved recently and it gave me extra pause in not mentioning where my son goes. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

It would be easy enough to find out where the boys go to school. I think the Dillards' address is known. How many elementary schools are there in their small town?

Edited by marmalade
Stupid typo

29 minutes ago, marmalade said:

It would be easy enough to find out where they boys go to school. I think the Dillards' address is known. How many elementary schools are there in their small town?

This is why I don’t hide my children’s school on fb. It would be pointless since public records would show where we own our home. And the school would be obvious based On where we own our home. Plus I have very few friends on fb anyway. Most of the people on my friend list know where I live and have a very good idea of which school they go to. Unless you send your child to a private school, it’s pretty obvious which public school your children go to based on your address. I’m not saying it’s bad to try to have privacy. I try to stay fairly private online. But some things can’t be private due to public records. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

41 minutes ago, marmalade said:

It would be easy enough to find out where they boys go to school. I think the Dillards' address is known. How many elementary schools are there in their small town?

Per the Siloam Springs School District website, the schools are grouped by grades. One school for PK-K; one for Grades 1-2; one for Grades 3-4; one for grades 5-6; one for grades 7-8 and the high school for grades 9-12.  So Izzy (Grade 2) and Sam (K) would be in different schools too.  

https://www.siloamschools.com/en-US

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 3

17 minutes ago, HeartsAFundie said:

Per the Siloam Springs School District website, the schools are grouped by grades. One school for PK-K; one for Grades 1-2; one for Grades 3-4; one for grades 5-6; one for grades 7-8 and the high school for grades 9-12.  So Izzy (Grade 2) and Sam (K) would be in different schools too.  

https://www.siloamschools.com/en-US

That is so weird. I would absolutely hate that. My children’s elementary school is K-5th. Which means my kids are in the same school together for years. I like it that way. I’m thinking about the families I know with 4 kids. They would have 4 different schools for their kids! But here in our area, they are only at 2 different schools. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 8

26 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

This is why I don’t hide my children’s school on fb. It would be pointless since public records would show where we own our home. And the school would be obvious based On where we own our home. Plus I have very few friends on fb anyway. Most of the people on my friend list know where I live and have a very good idea of which school they go to. Unless you send your child to a private school, it’s pretty obvious which public school your children go to based on your address. I’m not saying it’s bad to try to have privacy. I try to stay fairly private online. But some things can’t be private due to public records. 

I totally get your situation and how that fits for many people. There are so many towns and cities that aren’t like that though. And some people with huge Instagram followings post not only school, but schedule or teacher. I just think it’s a little creepy. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 1

1 minute ago, fundiewatch said:

I totally get your situation and how that fits for many people. There are so many towns and cities that aren’t like that though. And some people with huge Instagram followings post not only school, but schedule or teacher. I just think it’s a little creepy. 

I hate when people who have huge instagram followings (like influencer level) post a bunch of stuff about their kids in general. I always feel bad those kids get zero privacy. 

• I Agree 4

@JermajestyDuggar I am in no way saying it’s wrong to identify our public schools online! I have too, and will. I just think some people over share. I’m sorry if this is coming off judgmental, totally unintended. 

Just now, JermajestyDuggar said:

I hate when people who have huge instagram followings (like influencer level) post a bunch of stuff about their kids in general. I always feel bad those kids get zero privacy. 

Yes! Not Enough Nelson’s, paging you. 🙏🏽 Same team. 😆 

• Upvote 2

Maybe it is just my area but Sam is a July birthday and they might hold him a year. Here June - September is questionable if they send their kids.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

True. I know a lot of people who held back their boys for having a summer birthday. It seems like the boys are held back more than the girls. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

True. I know a lot of people who held back their boys for having a summer birthday. It seems like the boys are held back more than the girls. 

Boys that age are already  six months behind girls developmentally on the average.    (Obviously, that says nothing about the developmental level of a particular boy.) Most schools these days are very focused on academics right from kindergarten which is particularly stressful for kids who are not ready to sit for long periods. Both my sons had birthdays three weeks before the cutoff, and I delayed school a year for both. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I kind of roll my eyes at that, too, having grown up in small towns and living/working in small towns. If your kid is in preK, 3-5, 6-8, or 9-12 in my town, there’s only one school at each level. K-2 there are three, but anyone can guess based on where the family lives in town. The other district I work at has one campus for preK-12. 
Some info can’t be hidden. You’d have to hide that you have kids at all. 

I've never heard of people holding their kids back a year because of a later birthday. Must be a regional thing. Here in NY the official cutoff is Dec 1st. I personally think the cutoff should be the 1st day of school. 

• Upvote 4

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic