IGNORED

Theobros, Patriarchs, Dominionists, Christofascists et al.

Howl

Speaking of spanking, Wilson and his crony Rigney (the "empathy is a sin" guy) are getting spanked all over Twitter for Wilson's handling of Jim Nance abusing a student, and Rigney's attributing sin to both parties. It's always satisfying to see people actually push back on those two, and not fold after a few days like Costi Hinn did.

I thought this was an excellent reflection on how complementarianism creates this paradigm of abuse. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

Good on Dr. Laura Robinson who just torpedoed the entire Wilson et al. shit show with one perfect tweet. 

15 hours ago, Fallgirl30 said:

We don’t hear much about Nancy Wilson, but damn.

Shades of Lisa Pennington, from those who remember that she spanked one of her children for not being sufficiently happy to see her. 

A few Tweet snips from that thread: 

Marissa Burt  @AlethiaWrites, Nov 13: TBH I think much of the rhetoric in Wilson’s family life teaching gaslights the community to redefine high control practices as “joy.” This idea of spankings as joyful shows up in Wilson’s daughter’s teaching as well.

karabea@karabear_1, 14h:  This is a form of emotional abuse as well because the child is made responsible for the mom’s emotions (the mom must feel her kid is happy to see her). It’s subtle, but as someone for whom this was a prime form of abuse the lifelong impacts are deep and insidious.

·

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

16 hours ago, Fallgirl30 said:

We don’t hear much about Nancy Wilson, but damn.

She got butthurt that her preschooler was having fun and decided to punish her for it?! And she's laughing about it!!! Wtf!

• Upvote 2
  • Disgust 1
  • I Agree 1

Had not realized that Nancy Wilson is nearly as a big a monster as her fucking asshole of a husband. I am glad to see them get blasted in public spaces.

When Doug Wilson buys the farm, will his kids be able to hang onto & control the cult? Or will things disintegrate the way of other family-owned cults, like Remnant Fellowship?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

When Doug Wilson buys the farm, will his kids be able to hang onto & control the cult?

I think Doug Wilson has groomed Nate (N.D.) to continue on at the helm.  Nate has Canon Press now. It seems to be a fairly well-oiled machine. Doug Wilson was groomed by HIS father, so he knows how succession works. 

Both sons-in-law are mucho involved but I don't know where they are in the hierarchy.  

Doug is the evil Machiavellian master manipulator, though.  I'm not sure anyone could do the vile things that he has done, as well as he has done them. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Howl said:

Doug is the evil Machiavellian master manipulator, though. I'm not sure anyone could do the vile things that he has done, as well as he has done them. 

True. Not even Nate has that pull with the minions. 

Had to do some googling but Doug Wilson's father, died last year. Looks like Dougʻs brothers Evan and Gordon are also in the cult. Like Doug, Jim Wilson seems to have been an unbelievably terrible human being (CW for DV description in that link). 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

There are horrible clips from them all over twitter. There's one where Nancy laughs about "winning" after repeatedly spanking one of their children for not doing naps. And another where one of their sons is laughing about forcing his daughter to eat food she vomited. 

They are doing (did?) a livestream with the adult daughters to try damage control. Sounds familiar

• Disgust 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/14/2023 at 6:18 PM, Howl said:

I think Doug Wilson has groomed Nate (N.D.) to continue on at the helm.  Nate has Canon Press now. It seems to be a fairly well-oiled machine. Doug Wilson was groomed by HIS father, so he knows how succession works. 

Both sons-in-law are mucho involved but I don't know where they are in the hierarchy.  

Doug is the evil Machiavellian master manipulator, though.  I'm not sure anyone could do the vile things that he has done, as well as he has done them. 

N. D. Wilson, as in the author of 100 Cupboards?  My son loved that book.  I thought it was too weird to really enjoy.  I had no idea the author was part of *this* Wilson family.  Blech.

39 minutes ago, 4boysmum said:

N. D. Wilson, as in the author of 100 Cupboards? My son loved that book.

The same! 

39 minutes ago, 4boysmum said:

I thought it was too weird to really enjoy. 

I just checked in on the 1 and 2 star reviews on Amazon.  You have quite a bit of company. 

After reading reviews like this,  "After the beauty and fun creepiness of the about the first 4/5ths of the story, in one of the worlds, we witness the slaughter of party revelers who will, it appears, be eaten by black wolves. While, back in the real world, the story suddenly degenerates into a bloody, Hollywoodesque battle with a blind vampire witch who kinda appears out of nowhere..."  I

Just this moment realized that ND Wilson's writing might use gratuitous violence to move the story along, just like Doug Wilson's obnoxious Ride Sally Ride: Sex Rules book. 

Other reviewers complained about bad writing, poor plot development, loose ends, gratuitous violence and boredom interspersed with some sections of stellar writing.  I have to wonder who is editing his books.  Others thought ND was trying to be CS Lewis and failing.  Some thought that the 100 Cupboards series was way too violent for sensitive kids.   To be fair, the 1 and 2 star reviews were only about 4% of the total reviews.  Many thought it was great. 

I know this is weird, but I wonder if any of the Wilsons have family pets. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Howl said:

I wonder if any of the Wilsons have family pets. 

I hope they donʻt. 

Using the moniker N.D. Wilson, Nate has, until recently at least, kept his writing & himself apart from the cult universe. I hope that this recent flood of sunshine will change that. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

Using the moniker N.D. Wilson, Nate has, until recently at least, kept his writing & himself apart from the cult universe.

And I find that fascinating.  Nate must know that pulling back the curtain on who he really is might torpedo his career.  He has some Christian writings via Canon Press but someone else publishes his kids/Young Adult fiction.  Alternately, he may be his own publisher under a different imprint.  Via Canon Publishing, they certainly know the business. 

• I Agree 1

6 hours ago, 4boysmum said:

N. D. Wilson, as in the author of 100 Cupboards?  My son loved that book.  I thought it was too weird to really enjoy.  I had no idea the author was part of *this* Wilson family.  Blech.

His "Hello Ninja" books were turned into a Netflix series. It would be interesting to see if the Twitter mob that just discovered Nancy Wilson discovers that, too.

Apparently the "become like our perfect family" email blast wrung an apology from Doug himself. I can't remember if he's ever apologized for anything in his life (certainly nothing that has to do with sex abuse.) No Quarter November is going pretty badly if this is the first year the mullah has had to apologize for something.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.573f2ceb67866ba4197c857e9f862360.png

image.thumb.png.b759582e1efa51e335f5815b13adc02f.png

image.thumb.png.459720b4dc4cf16db7d9c79b9c720fa5.png

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

A "no Wilson would say anything like that" non apology; blowback on their idiotic email blast IS NOT THEIR FAULT, BECAUSE WILSLONS!  

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

On 11/17/2023 at 7:35 PM, Columbia said:

Saving for the inevitable Moscow meltdown/scandal.

Yeah, not only is that gonna smart when it finally happens, but...

This is the Promise of Formula. "Do Marriage God's Way (as outlined in our formula; buy the book, just $29.95!), and God promises you'll have a wonderful marriage. Build a household and raise your children God's Way (according to our denomination's correct interpretation of the Bible, natch), and God promises they won't stray from the faith." Yeah, it doesn't work that way. Prosperity gospel is a good analogy.

6 hours ago, Antipatriarch said:

Yeah, not only is that gonna smart when it finally happens, but...

This is the Promise of Formula. "Do Marriage God's Way (as outlined in our formula; buy the book, just $29.95!), and God promises you'll have a wonderful marriage. Build a household and raise your children God's Way (according to our denomination's correct interpretation of the Bible, natch), and God promises they won't stray from the faith." Yeah, it doesn't work that way. Prosperity gospel is a good analogy.

That's how it always works with these big patriarchal organizations, whether it's CBMW, or VF, or IBLP, or NCFIC, or Moscow. What baffles me is that more people don't see through the prosperity gospel promises, especially after they've been exposed once. How many people shrugged off the collapse of VF or IBLP because it was a little "extreme" and "on the fringes" but still think Wilson has all the answers? I'm sure there's a reason, but I have no idea what it is.

Edited by Columbia
typo
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

I wonder if people who are prone to fall for it once think they've left that way of thinking when they leave a specific group. But then maybe if they haven't actually gotten to the root of why they are drawn to it or deconstructed everything, they'll just find a new version. 

I think feeling so sure you are right is an attractive thing about all these groups.

• Upvote 5

On 11/21/2023 at 6:08 AM, SorenaJ said:

I don't hope anyone ever gets spanked, but if those kids grow up to spank their parents, I wouldn't feel bad. 

They wouldn't even need to be totally grown.   One kid gets bigger and stronger as a teen and wrests the paddle/belt out of the hands of his/her parental tormentor.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Havenʻt listened to/watched this yet, but Frank Schaeffer has an extensive interview with Julie Ingersoll, who wrote *the* book on Christian Reconstruction:

• Thank You 3

• 1 month later...

Just found this article on Josh Marshall/Talking Points Memo.  

Inside A Secret Society Of Prominent Right-Wing Christian Men Prepping For A ‘National Divorce’   A trove of documents obtained by TPM reveal the society’s inner workings.

Membership in the SACR (Society for American Civic Renewal)  is by invitation only and you have to be

• male!  white! 
  • rich, very very rich
  • involved/influential in politics
  • have competence, success and influence in your field/business
  • a certain KIND of Christian (trinitarians, raise your hands! LDS, Jehovah's Witness et al. don't make the cut. Catholics, Orthodox Xtians OK)
  • a patriarch 
  • be ready to take over the US government

To join, the group demands faithfulness, virtue, and “alignment,” which it describes as “deference to and acceptance of the wisdom of our American and European Christian forebears in the political realm, a traditional understanding of patriarchal leadership in the household, and acceptance of traditional Natural Law in ethics more broadly.” More practically, members must be able to contribute either influence, capability, or wealth in helping SACR further its goals. 

“Most of all, we seek those who understand the nature of authority and its legitimate forceful exercise in the temporal realm,” a mission statement reads.

Fascinating article and an example of excellent investigative journalism. 

• Thank You 3

Looks like the SACR crackers* are pretty active in ID. I wonder if Doug Wilson et al are members or if the two cults even get along.

"Two stars keep not their motion in one sphere" and all that.

*Yes, I know that these guys are alleged to be "local elites."

After reading about SACR, I started wondering about guys who desperately want to join, but can't pass the threshold of wealth and influence. 

• Upvote 3