IGNORED

Seewalds 47: Actions have Consequences; Sponsor Backlash Due to Jessa's Homophobia

HerNameIsBuffy

Some of the commenters on her video have noted that it says “no FHR” on the ultrasound pic, so they’re assuming she miscarried. 

• Thank You 1

4 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

There’s other stuff besides the pregnancy in the video. She has a lot to catch up on because of a social media break and morning sickness and kid illnesses. It teases with “house move,” but that means that they’re moving their old house to sell the land for commercial development. (That makes sense, because it’s right next to the interstate.) They gave the house to Jer and Hannah, who are moving it. Jessa shows it arriving on a “big piece of land” with a “great view.” Ben loves to play classical music in the car. 

They ask the kids for baby name suggestions. Rose for a girl and George or Alex for a boy are in the lead. Jessa shills for Hello Fresh. They’re fine with preventing conception. Children are a blessing, but it’s okay to manage any blessing. Ben’s very concerned about Jessa’s health (the implication being that he wouldn’t push her to have too many). The end of the video is odd. She says she was spotting right after Thanksgiving, shows the ultrasound (one fetus), and says “little did we know that our world was about to be turned upside down.” Cut to black.

I have a feeling Jessa is choosing the first names from now on and Ben is choosing the middle. I could see Jessa wanting George or Rose. And then will pick middle names like Tozer or Crosby. George Tozer and Rose Crosby are possibilities in my opinion.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

This is literally the only way for the Seewalds to get any attention in this large family. They are so unremarkable and boring. She’s probably hoping to inherit the TTH-  They will soon pass up J’Pest.

Jed! Is the new smug political son with the wife popping out babies at a far quicker rate than Anna ever did, I think he might want the TTH in another decade when all the Js have moved out and the senior Duggars are too old to manage it. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, LookieLoo said:

Some of the commenters on her video have noted that it says “no FHR” on the ultrasound pic, so they’re assuming she miscarried. 

She ended the video on a cliff hanger. Can't imagine she would have posted a video titled good news and house move if she suffered a miscarriage.  Of course we have to stay turned for part 2.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, EmiSue said:

So is she currently pregnant or not?

She isn't.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 6

3 minutes ago, EmiSue said:

So is she currently pregnant or not?

She miscarried the baby which would have been due early July. She lost the baby in late Dec. This would not have been baby 29 so that's still a mystery.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 6

She posted a video she was pregnant and then almost immediately posted she miscarried....

That's so odd. Why go through the trouble of making the videos this way? 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 14

26 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

She posted a video she was pregnant and then almost immediately posted she miscarried....

That's so odd. Why go through the trouble of making the videos this way? 

I wonder if they held back the edited video and then just posted together. I bet they use an editor. 

I had extreme morning sickness when I was pregnant. I took Zofran throughout my pregnancy because of it. I remember I started spotting around the same time as Jessa. I thought to myself, if I miscarry after dealing with all of this morning sickness I will explode. I really feel for Jessa because she was miserable for a couple months. She had to cancel a lot of things because she felt so sick. And she ended up miscarrying. And all around Christmas time. How awful for her. I hope her next pregnancy isn’t as miserable. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 8

In the first video Jessa reveals they aren’t opposed to some forms of birth control. She mentioned that Ben worried about her health. They still believe that children are a gift from god but they want to be able to fully appreciate those gifts.  That’s definitely a shift in her thinking from when they first got married. Also she was 11 weeks along. The Doctors were worried about giving her medication to end the pregnancy because of her past history of hemorrhaging after several of her births so she ended up having a D&C. I’m glad she was sensible and followed medical advice. 

• Upvote 27
  • Thank You 4

10 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

In the first video Jessa reveals they aren’t opposed to some forms of birth control. She mentioned that Ben worried about her health. They still believe that children are a gift from god but they want to be able to fully appreciate those gifts.  That’s definitely a shift in her thinking from when they first got married. Also she was 11 weeks along. The Doctors were worried about giving her medication to end the pregnancy because of her past history of hemorrhaging after several of her births so she ended up having a D&C. I’m glad she was sensible and followed medical advice. 

This really isn’t surprising to me. Once you start having kids, you realize how unrealistic never using birth control of any kind can be. And since fundies never demonized condoms like they demonized hormonal birth control, I imagine a lot of fundies who grew up with quiverful beliefs see condoms as something that isn’t a sin. It’s so easy to espouse your parents’ beliefs when you are a newly married 20 year old that was shielded from the real world your whole life. I never listen much to what teen fundie brides have to say because it’s just repeating what their parents have said. 

• Upvote 14

15 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

There’s other stuff besides the pregnancy in the video. She has a lot to catch up on because of a social media break and morning sickness and kid illnesses. It teases with “house move,” but that means that they’re moving their old house to sell the land for commercial development. (That makes sense, because it’s right next to the interstate.) They gave the house to Jer and Hannah, who are moving it. Jessa shows it arriving on a “big piece of land” with a “great view.” Ben loves to play classical music in the car. 

They ask the kids for baby name suggestions. Rose for a girl and George or Alex for a boy are in the lead. Jessa shills for Hello Fresh. They’re fine with preventing conception. Children are a blessing, but it’s okay to manage any blessing. Ben’s very concerned about Jessa’s health (the implication being that he wouldn’t push her to have too many). The end of the video is odd. She says she was spotting right after Thanksgiving, shows the ultrasound (one fetus), and says “little did we know that our world was about to be turned upside down.” Cut to black.

I appreciate the recap you provided. 

I don’t know much about ultrasounds, but would it show any medical issues a baby would have at the time she had the ultrasound? A heart defect, Downs Syndrome, other issues? For example, I knew a woman whose baby prior to birth developed intestines outside the stomach which was seen on the ultrasound (immediate surgery at birth and the baby survived). Would the question of the baby’s health be the reason their world was turned upside down? It seems a bit odd if they were referring to twins as “turning their world upside down” since prevalent birth is their wheelhouse. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Cam said:

I appreciate the recap you provided. 

I don’t know much about ultrasounds, but would it show any medical issues a baby would have at the time she had the ultrasound? A heart defect, Downs Syndrome, other issues? For example, I knew a woman whose baby prior to birth developed intestines outside the stomach which was seen on the ultrasound (immediate surgery at birth and the baby survived). Would the question of the baby’s health be the reason their world was turned upside down? It seems a bit odd if they were referring to twins as “turning their world upside down” since prevalent birth is their wheelhouse. 

No, that's what the 20-week ultrasound is for and why it's called an anatomy scan. First-trimester ultrasounds check for heartbeat and basic early development. Jessa's "world turned upside-down" comment referred to her baby not having a heartbeat or continuing to develop at the end of the first trimester.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

I feel sorry for Jessa. Miscarriage is devastating and there was a lot of speculation she was #29, so I wonder if she felt pressure to share her story. 

• Love 1

Both those videos were really well done. I appreciate her covering the hard questioning feelings of “did I do this wrong? could I have done that instead?” and stating she knows she didn’t do anything purposefully harmful, and did the best she could. Also the very emotional, but matter of fact way she described having to have the D&C and the various medical aspects.  Interesting that she mentioned a possible clotting disorder - . I liked that she included how hard it must be for women struggling with infertility as well. And the discussion of her family planning views were very well stated.  Since she generally doesn’t seem to be an emotional person, it was hard seeing her crying over the loss, I felt really bad for her, that feeling of being near the end of the morning sickness, fatigue etc — and close to the safer zone and then wham- losing the baby. Awful. 

I understand why none of the older daughters in particular would be quiverfull- but it’s still interesting that ALL of them are comfortable saying they use some form of family planning, when not doing that was the primary message drilled into their heads from day 1. 

Edited by Mama Mia
  • Upvote 24

Wait, she had a D&C?  That’s some irony considering quite a few states have banned these procedures, even after miscarriage, because of stringent anti-abortion laws. Some consider D&Cs as a part of abortion as the process is the same whether the pregnancy ended spontaneously or not. 

I predict most fundie kids will move away from the ‘have as many kids as possible’ model, given how unsustainable it is. The real shocker would be if someone admitted to using hormonal birth control. 

I’m sorry for Jessa and her loss. Miscarriage is often devestating. Perhaps posting the videos is her way of grieving and documenting her pregnancy. One of the videos was sponsored so she probably also needed to get out content. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 7

29 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

I understand why none of the older daughters in particular would be quiverfull- but it’s still interesting that ALL of them are comfortable saying they use some form of family planning, when not doing that was the primary message drilled into their heads from day 1. 

Pregnancy and childbirth will do that to you.  Never mind toddlers!

1 minute ago, Jinder Roles said:

Wait, she had a D&C?  That’s some irony considering quite a few states have banned these procedures, even after miscarriage, because of stringent anti-abortion laws. Some consider D&Cs as a part of abortion as the process is the same whether the pregnancy ended spontaneously or not. 

She said her problems in the past with hemorrhaging post birth lead to the decision, although there was no heart activity. But yeah, like Michelle's c-section when Josie was very possibly too premature to survive, it seems things get a little blurry when it comes to their own health. 

• Upvote 13

Fundies are always insanely prolife and anti abortion at all costs until their own lives are in danger. Although I will say I’m glad the Duggars aren’t the type to protest outside of planned parenthood every weekend with disturbing posters and harassing people walking near the clinic. But they still vote for all the prolife measures and politicians. So they are still restricting their own access. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, Anne Of Gray Gables said:

Pregnancy and childbirth will do that to you.  Never mind toddlers!

She said her problems in the past with hemorrhaging post birth lead to the decision, although there was no heart activity. But yeah, like Michelle's c-section when Josie was very possibly too premature to survive, it seems things get a little blurry when it comes to their own health. 

She said the D&C was because trying the medication route, or waiting to go naturally, weren’t advisable due to her history of hemorrhage (as someone  who had a near death hemorrhage in very similar circumstance - I’m glad her Dr took that into account) 

Until very recently virtually no one was anti measures that saved the life of the mother, or removed a dead fetus. D&C after the fetus had no heartbeat certainly would not have been controversial.  Surgery/ Medications to remove an ectopic pregnancy was not controversial. Early induction or c-section anywhere near viability because otherwise both mother and baby would die was not controversial. Except for some extremist segments of society, few had attempted to interpret these tragic but life saving medical procedures as optional. And we’ve seen well publicized accounts of what happens when these procedures are denied. Women die. Period. 

I don’t think it’s reasonable to lump in procedures used to remove a dead fetus, or to save the life of the mother and give the pre-term baby a shot at survival in the “abortion”* category and say that Michelle or Jessa are only fine with it when it effects them. Neither has ever said anything to contribute to the misconception that these procedures, in these circumstances, are wrong. They are both adamantly against abortion, but not these weird rapidly spreading views  that lead to denial of life saving medical help. 

It seems to me to be a really positive thing when women who are extremely conservative, ultra religious, anti-abortion  talk sensibly to their followers about what can happen during a pregnancy loss.

*and yes, I know the medical terminology for therapeutic abortion is different than common usage, I’m talking about the commonly accepted usage in this context. 

• Upvote 9
  • Fuck You 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • WTF 1

9 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

She said the D&C was because trying the medication route, or waiting to go naturally, weren’t advisable due to her history of hemorrhage (as someone  who had a near death hemorrhage in very similar circumstance - I’m glad her Dr took that into account) 

Until very recently virtually no one was anti measures that saved the life of the mother, or removed a dead fetus. D&C after the fetus had no heartbeat certainly would not have been controversial.  Surgery/ Medications to remove an ectopic pregnancy was not controversial. Early induction or c-section anywhere near viability because otherwise both mother and baby would die was not controversial. Except for some extremist segments of society, few had attempted to interpret these tragic but life saving medical procedures as optional. And we’ve seen well publicized accounts of what happens when these procedures are denied. Women die. Period. 

I don’t think it’s reasonable to lump in procedures used to remove a dead fetus, or to save the life of the mother and give the pre-term baby a shot at survival in the “abortion”* category and say that Michelle or Jessa are only fine with it when it effects them. Neither has ever said anything to contribute to the misconception that these procedures, in these circumstances, are wrong. They are both adamantly against abortion, but not these weird rapidly spreading views  that lead to denial of life saving medical help. 

It seems to me to be a really positive thing when women who are extremely conservative, ultra religious, anti-abortion  talk sensibly to their followers about what can happen during a pregnancy loss.

*and yes, I know the medical terminology for therapeutic abortion is different than common usage, I’m talking about the commonly accepted usage in this context. 

Unfortunately they vote for politicians who do want to criminalize life saving measures for women.

• Upvote 37
  • I Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

My mother had a life saving late abortion in the mid-80s and she said it wasn't even presented a matter of debate. Baby could not survive (severe defects) and my mother had almost hemorhaged to death after a stillbirth less than a year before and her life was at risk. The doctor immediately made the call, presented it to my parents as "this is what we have to do" and it was all over within 24 hours of the abnormality being detected. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 10

3 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

This was exactly why I came to FJ when I saw she'd miscarried. I'm sure they won't acknowledge how fortunate she was to have the option available to her without jumping through hoops or traveling to another state. 

• Upvote 24
  • I Agree 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic