IGNORED

Seewalds 47: Actions have Consequences; Sponsor Backlash Due to Jessa's Homophobia

HerNameIsBuffy

11 minutes ago, MaryOrMartha said:

I always thought Jana and Laura could get their own place. Speaking of which, I read in a comment that Jana/Laura have removed all traces of each other from their Instagrams?!

They didn’t. I looked and there are still pics of each other on there. But they haven’t posted pics with each other in awhile. Which is a little strange. 

• Upvote 4

I've watched Jessa's house tour videos and I must say that I really like the colours. We actually have similar hard wood floors, oak I think. I guess I have pretty much the same taste as Jessa, although some of our bedrooms have a bit stronger colours. Anyway, I assume she has a bit of a minimalistic approach to decorating and I do get that if you have a lot of toys and stuff your house gets cluttered. But still, I do wonder if there are more toys stashed away somewhere? Same goes for Erin Paine, although their house is so tiny so there's probably no room. Our 9 yo has LOTS of small toys like L.O.L.'s, legos, stuffed animals, pens and other stuff for crafts and similar things. It wouldn't matter if I didn't buy her stuff, because she'd get them from friends for her birthday or from her grandmother. And I don't want her room to look the way I like (I'd throw out about 90% of her things). I want her to have the things she wants in there, as long as it's possible to vacuum once in a while. Even when that means a big ugly cardboard doll house she built with a friend.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Cupcake79 said:

I've watched Jessa's house tour videos and I must say that I really like the colours. We actually have similar hard wood floors, oak I think. I guess I have pretty much the same taste as Jessa, although some of our bedrooms have a bit stronger colours. Anyway, I assume she has a bit of a minimalistic approach to decorating and I do get that if you have a lot of toys and stuff your house gets cluttered. But still, I do wonder if there are more toys stashed away somewhere? Same goes for Erin Paine, although their house is so tiny so there's probably no room. Our 9 yo has LOTS of small toys like L.O.L.'s, legos, stuffed animals, pens and other stuff for crafts and similar things. It wouldn't matter if I didn't buy her stuff, because she'd get them from friends for her birthday or from her grandmother. And I don't want her room to look the way I like (I'd throw out about 90% of her things). I want her to have the things she wants in there, as long as it's possible to vacuum once in a while. Even when that means a big ugly cardboard doll house she built with a friend.

I was thinking this too in the boys' room when Jessa was saying they loved to pull out all their art supplies - where were they?! Their desk has no drawers and there's very little storage in the room, obviously they do have them somewhere since she mentioned them but in general their bedroom is quite empty with very few toys. Maybe they play outside a lot, maybe they're great at tidying up, but like your daughter, Stuff seems to accumulate around mine without our buying her much ourselves. We are frugal but her room is full of bits and bobs - as are most of my friends' kids' rooms - and it surprises me that the boys have so little on display in the way of 500 plastic dinosaurs, an armful of cuddly toys, novelty pens, photo of themselves at some tourist attraction etc etc. But they did just move in. And if Jessa is ruthless about keeping the junk under control then I'm impressed.

(of course she might have tidied it all away into a Closet of Doom just for the tour but she's never really seemed like the type)

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Cupcake79 said:

. But still, I do wonder if there are more toys stashed away somewhere? Same goes for Erin Paine, although their house is so tiny so there's probably no room. 

Not sure about Jessa but Erin has an insane storage system. They have storage everywhere. The couches were modified to hold storage bins under them, same with the kids beds, the closets have amazing storage systems, etc. Her house tour is actually a thing of wonder for how organized that tiny space is. 

• Upvote 11

In Jessa’s old house, the kids’ toys were all kept in the living room, I assume because there was so little space in the bedroom. She had one toy box and a side table with drawers that they kept some of their things in. 

I think she’s just very hardcore minimalist. She’s made videos before about her toy organization, and basically she does a rotating system where she keeps out certain toys and stashes the rest away for awhile. Not a bad system, but you do need to have the storage space to do that, something I never had. 

I consider myself somewhat of a minimalist but she is a little over the top for me. Her home is nice but slightly sterile feeling. 

• Upvote 5

19 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

They didn’t. I looked and there are still pics of each other on there. But they haven’t posted pics with each other in awhile. Which is a little strange. 

My bet is that it falls under "avoiding the appearance of evil." Since there was so much talk that they were actually lovers, they have to do everything they can to prove those rumors false including hiding any relationship--including friendship--from public view and possibly even from intentionally distancing themselves in person. That's  what my (then) best friend did when rumors started (by her mother) about me.

Edited by nolongerIFBx
  • Sad 11
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

She probably hides the toys. She hides the TV, so why not the toys? I wonder if she and Ben watch TV in bed (place TV on the low dresser)?

I think a lot of fundie moms use minimalism to deny their kids stuff. Zoo threw away a ton of toys in the name of minimalism. But she kept her millions of cast iron skillets. Jill has about a zillion tchotchkes but her kids have very few toys. Erin Paine has her perfectly decorated home but her kids don’t have many toys at all. The problem is that they try to squeeze a ridiculous amount of children in small homes. They don’t want to get rid of their own stuff so they get rid of their children’s. 

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 5

6 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think a lot of fundie moms use minimalism to deny their kids stuff. Zoo threw away a ton of toys in the name of minimalism. But she kept her millions of cast iron skillets. Jill has about a zillion tchotchkes but her kids have very few toys. Erin Paine has her perfectly decorated home but her kids don’t have many toys at all. The problem is that they try to squeeze a ridiculous amount of children in small homes. They don’t want to get rid of their own stuff so they get rid of their children’s. 

Their children are part of their own stuff.

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 1

Just now, SassyPants said:

Their children are part of their own stuff.

It’s crazy because I wish I could be more minimal. But I try not to get rid of the stuff my children want to keep. I have gotten rid of so much of my own stuff so I can fit my children’s stuff in our small home. So many fundies are just the opposite. Which just blows my mind. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s crazy because I wish I could be more minimal. But I try not to get rid of the stuff my children want to keep. I have gotten rid of so much of my own stuff so I can fit my children’s stuff in our small home. So many fundies are just the opposite. Which just blows my mind. 

I’ve always said that non fundies put more thought and consideration into buying new dishes than fundies do to adding another child. I really don’t think that the children are given much consideration at all in a fundie home. The only reason they exist is because fundies don’t use BC- they are basically the next generation of workers and worshippers.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

I am pretty ruthless about keeping kids toys to a minimum.  Mostly because my one daughter has ADD and is easily overwhelmed by clutter.  The kids have their favourite toys easily accessible, but everything that they use infrequently gets rotated and things they use only once or twice gets donated.  Their art supplies are organized in clear containers and labeled and put in a closet, and I tidy all the time.  I have discovered they tend to play with things in spurts, and usually two days at a time, before moving on.  So I leave their stuff out that they are playing with, but once we go two days without them touching it, everything gets tidied up and put away.  They also are at the age (8 and 10) where they would rather read than play, so we often go for quite a while with very few toys out at all.  The baby is almost 2, but even he only actually plays with a few toys at a time, so the rest are put away until he is ready for something new to play with.  I also subscribe to the philosophy of better toys, not more toys.  So they don't have a lot of toys, but the ones they do have have good play value (think wooden blocks and magnetic tiles and one or two nice dolls with outfits, etc...).  All that rambling to say I get why some families might have what looks like very few toys, and who keep their houses really tidy.  Sometimes kids with sensory issues or ADHD might find toy clutter/too many toys overwhelming.  

• Upvote 10
  • Love 2

If Jessa's kids have ADHD or sensory issues, she hasn't made it public. I think it's strictly her minimalist mindset that restricts toys. But now without a carport, I wonder where she stashes the toy overflow? From her tours, it appears that she is already using all of her storage. Maybe there's a,shed in the backyard that we haven't seen?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, marmalade said:

If Jessa's kids have ADHD or sensory issues, she hasn't made it public. I think it's strictly her minimalist mindset that restricts toys. But now without a carport, I wonder where she stashes the toy overflow? From her tours, it appears that she is already using all of her storage. Maybe there's a,shed in the backyard that we haven't seen?

They have a communal family closet - so probably the kids bedroom closets are for toys. IIRC there is also a play area in the living room with some toy storage. 

Official diagnosis or suspected issues aside - she probably just knows if she and/or her kid(s) get easily overwhelmed / overstimulated.  Some people do.  I am prone to way too much “stuff” - which is probably why my daughter’s are more minimalist lol. 

Edited by Mama Mia
  • Upvote 3

My daughter will get easily overwhelmed if there is too much clutter about.  Simply picking up the room can spark her desire to start playing again.  I try to keep 5-7 different toys out (in the shelving bins) at a time for her to play with, usually that includes a doll or a stuffie or two, and we rotate every few weeks.  My husband is prone to pulling more stuff out and then remembering why we limit it.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

Im a maximalist myself and despise bare walls and empty spaces.

But I find myself thinking how they had much less space in the other house.She may have needed to stay super minimal to stay sane. I wonder if given more space for kids she will accumulate more.

She did have a lot of tubs of stuff in storage at the other house.

This house may have an attic.

I dont knock her for limiting toys. Kids play with boxes and sticks. They have siblings and cousins galore. They appear to be happy playful children (compare with the poor sad j rods)

• Upvote 7

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/3/2022 at 7:46 AM, Sullie06 said:

We had a decal on the wall over our sons crib when he was a baby and it was the ”Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep. And keep me safe all through the night. And wake me with the morning light” version.

My mom said "Thy love guard me through the night, and wake me with the morning light", so that's what I said with my kiddo too...

I don't like the baby falling in Rock A Bye baby either, so instead of "Down will come baby, cradle and all",  I would say "Mama will catch you, cradle and all"

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

Please tell me I’m not the only one who sees a resemblance between Jessa and Jenna Ortega? I think it’s the jawline and their manner of speaking. Jenna is everywhere at the moment. 
Oh and Wednesday was awesome. But I did. Have to turn off the shit she looks like Jessa commentary 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

19 hours ago, marmalade said:

Jenna Ortega totally looks like Jessa before the kids wore her down.

image.png.65549195508aa144420551104ad9a16b.png

Wow, they do look very similar. I don’t think it’s that “the kids wore her down” it’s that Jessa is a decade older. In my subjective view they are both very attractive women. One looks like a very attractive 30 year old, one looks like a very attractive 20 year old. Wednesday was great! 

• Upvote 10

One kid wore me down enough that there are no pictures where I look like myself or even well rested anymore.  I'm pretty happy with my life but for some reason even my smile looks tired and not particularly genuine in photos.  Frankly I don't know how these women manage to stay so young looking, even with aggressive sleep training, but I suppose they gotta have one pro in their lives since I think most it is cons.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic