IGNORED

Jana Duggar 14: Child Endangerment Charges and Howlers Supporting Her Via Meme

HerNameIsBuffy

2 minutes ago, Expectopatronus said:

My mind just blows at the fact that it is warm enough to visit amusement parks in December. Today is only-10 but it was -20 yesterday. A touch chilly for rides lol

I think it was in the 80s this week in TX. The warm places in Winter suffer the rest of the year when air conditioning is a must (about 9 months out of the year). Raining (about 50 degrees) for a week in my coastal CA home. We need it, so I’ll shut up.

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It was probably chilly in Branson. But if you wear a thick coat, hat, and maybe some gloves, you’ll be fine. 

It was low 50s during the day, but it was sunny so that helped. We didn’t ride many rides this time (we get season passes every other year and go 3-4 times during the years we have them, so we were just there and rode everything in October). This time was about the Christmas lights and shows!  Also we’ll be in NYC for New Years  so I soaked up the “warm” sunny days knowing it will be far worse in New York next week!

• Upvote 1

On 12/14/2021 at 3:43 PM, mpheels said:

The citation noted Dowell Rd as part of the incident location - that runs adjacent to the Duggar property, about 0.2 miles west of the gate/driveway. That’s really far for a little kid to wander.

D3C959DA-63AA-4119-A768-B57E8013CCD3.jpeg

Looking at this map to get from the big house to Dowell Road the toddler/child had to avoid at least one large pond. It’s possible they went cross country in which case depending on where they were found on Dowell Rd. they may have come close to more than one of the ponds.

My mother’s family is from the Ozarks and when I was young one of the very first things I was warned about when we visited Great Grandpa’s farm was to stay away from his ponds because a child had drowned in one. On my father’s side in another part of the country my Grandmother’s 2 year old brother drowned in one of the ponds on their ranch. While country kids are resilient and independent and know their way around at younger ages than most city kids these days, if the child was 3 or under IMO they’re very lucky nothing bad happened to them. If it’s anything like my great grandpa’s farm there’s also probably livestock, copperheads, and rattlesnakes around (this happened in Sept. I think so snakes wouldn’t be hibernating yet) not to mention vehicles traveling on the roads and driveways.

The fact that the child slipped out is one thing albeit it only takes a few minutes to fall into a pond, but for a young child to get as far as Dowell Rd. and to not yet be missed is inexplicable to me.

Edited by sndral
  • Upvote 12

22 minutes ago, sndral said:

Looking at this map to get from the big house to Dowell Road the toddler/child had to avoid at least one large pond. It’s possible they went cross country in which case depending on where they were found on Dowell Rd. they may have come close to more than one of the ponds.

My mother’s family is from the Ozarks and when I was young one of the very first things I was warned about when we visited Great Grandpa’s farm was to stay away from his ponds because a child had drowned in one. On my father’s side in another part of the country my Grandmother’s 2 year old brother drowned in one of the ponds on their ranch. While country kids are resilient and independent and know their way around at younger ages than most city kids these days, if the child was 3 or under IMO they’re very lucky nothing bad happened to them. If it’s anything like my great grandpa’s farm there’s also probably livestock, copperheads, and rattlesnakes around (this happened in Sept. I think so snakes wouldn’t be hibernating yet) not to mention vehicles traveling on the roads and driveways.

The fact that the child slipped out is one thing albeit it only takes a few minutes to fall into a pond, but for a young child to get as far as Dowell Rd. and to not yet be missed is inexplicable to me.

My grandson who was 5 was swinging in a swing just off my patio, close  to the kitchen door. I went to the bathroom to put on my uniform for work, just a few minutes AND HE WAS GONE. I followed the dog, he had gotten 1/4 mile away on our gravel road, pushing a stroller which he luckily got caught in a ditch, slowing his escape. So it can happen to the best of us.

• Upvote 7

7 minutes ago, Cults-r-us said:

My grandson who was 5 was swinging in a swing just off my patio, close  to the kitchen door. I went to the bathroom to put on my uniform for work, just a few minutes AND HE WAS GONE. I followed the dog, he had gotten 1/4 mile away on our gravel road, pushing a stroller which he luckily got caught in a ditch, slowing his escape. So it can happen to the best of us.

Yes, I routinely walk with my 5 year old great nieces & they can be very fast alternating with being agonizingly slow when something catches their attention, but I believe reports are the child was age 2 or younger, I doubt you would have left a 2 year old outside unattended even for a few moments unless they were in a very secure - gated/fenced area.

Edited by sndral
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5

6 minutes ago, Smee said:

Wasn’t Jill pregnant at some point in scary CA? I vaguely remember it being around the time of zika virus also but I could be way off.

Yes. I think she spent most of her 2nd trimester and into her 3rd trimester in danger America. Maybe 2/2017 until early June 2017.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

17 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

@nelliebelle1197, you are right. IBLP is not theologically driven. I suspect that while they may have discussed “theology,” and I put it in quotes because I think fundies throw that term around for any sort of discussion about the Bible or their right beliefs, the sticking point  was actually whether Jeremy would abide by family headship, being the authority, etc. Oddly, I imagine IBLP peeps might end up agreeing to disagree on things like predestination while demanding compliance with a woman not working outside the home. 

Also: I have a visceral reaction whenever I see anything the Pearls say. Michael and Debi are responsible for cultivating so much evil in these private corners of fundamentalism. I didn’t know Austin’s family had them come speak. 

I think it really was a theological discussion. Jim Bob likely assumed wrongly that Jeremy (and Derick) would join IBLP, but I also think that wasn’t a dealbreaker for him. We notice the IBLP cult weirdness much more than their actual religion, but they really are Baptists, with significant differences from Calvinists. The strange thing is that they didn’t appear to have had the same issue with Ben. Maybe the question was added to the questionnaire after they didn’t notice Ben was a Calvinist?

• Upvote 1

@sndral Snakes are bold enough to be on property where there are people and noise? Shudder! I have phobia of all snakes even though where I live we are too cold for anything but garter snakes. Do farmers lose livestock to snake bites?  Time to read something else and ward off nightmares! 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Expectopatronus said:

@sndral Snakes are bold enough to be on property where there are people and noise? Shudder! I have phobia of all snakes even though where I live we are too cold for anything but garter snakes. Do farmers lose livestock to snake bites?  Time to read something else and ward off nightmares! 

I’m no herpetologist, but I do remember seeing snakes on my great grandfather’s land & my great aunt had a problem w/ copperheads in her house @ one point - this was long ago & they lived in a very rural area in the Ozarks, though. Personally I’m more freaked out about ticks.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

6 hours ago, Smee said:

Wasn’t Jill pregnant at some point in scary CA? I vaguely remember it being around the time of zika virus also but I could be way off.

Scary CA?

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

Scary CA?

Scary Central America. Or, as I called it, Danger America. 😀

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, marmalade said:

Scary Central America. Or, as I called it, Danger America. 😀

This took me back to the shower rod incident* and knowing what I now know from court testimony, etc, it puts the incident in a new perspective. If Jill had spent several years in her pre-teens or more  worried about falling asleep and who might come in her room, and even having to fend off Josh during the night on one or more occasions (according to testimony or other info) I can see how a falling shower rod in a foreign country could really frighten her or even cause a flashback sort of thing.

*shower rod incident in Central America: while Jill and Derick were living there she (or they, Derick may have been home at the time and I believe Israel was there, too) a shower rod fell causing an alarming clatter, but Jill didn't know it was the shower rod and she became very frightened and they talked about it later. For some reason I think it happened during daylight hours.

Someone here knows that story better than I remember it, so please clarify for newer members what happened.

• Upvote 12

8 hours ago, Karma said:

I had a Jana moment today - driving along quite a busy road and saw a toddler running along the footpath, by himself. I pulled over, took a minute or two to cross the road as there was a fair bit of traffic.  By now the kid had crossed the side street.  I ran towards him but he crossed back over the side street, with me in pursuit. Very lucky no cars turned into the street. I grabbed his hand and looked around, still no one around. Kid was wearing just a nappy and tshirt.  I asked him where his house was but he was maybe 18 months old so didn’t answer.  I waited a few minutes then called the police - I didn’t want to leave the spot I’d found him in case someone came looking for him.  By the time dad appeared from along the side street looking for him it’d been about 10 minutes, and the police arrived a minute or so later. Dad had been mowing the grass and the kid had got out the screen door.  I felt bad then for calling the police, but didn’t know what else to do. Main thing is he was safe.  The dad was grateful and, having had a runner myself, I hope he doesn’t get into trouble. 

You did the right thing. Last night in my home country a two years old boy freezed to death in his pyjamas. The parents put him to bed, turned the baby phone on, met neighbors in front of their house, went back inside and into the bed. Late at night or early in the morning they realized that their son was gone. They found him in the direction to the neighbors' place. If he slipped out while they were talking to the neighbors or wandered off during the night, nobody knows. Can't imagine how the parents must feel now. Better some troubles with the authorities than a dead child

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 22
  • Thank You 1

I found a child of about 18 months standing in the street in front of the library near a very busy road. A woman was walking ahead towards a housing for the elderly complex with an empty stroller. She didn’t respond to my shouts and I couldn’t catch up with her with the baby in my arms so I brought him into the library and called the police. I can only imagine that whoever left the child with grandma hadn’t realized how cognitively  impaired she had become. Never heard back from the police so I guess no charges were filed. 

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 1

51 minutes ago, Bobology said:

This took me back to the shower rod incident* and knowing what I now know from court testimony, etc, it puts the incident in a new perspective. If Jill had spent several years in her pre-teens or more  worried about falling asleep and who might come in her room, and even having to fend off Josh during the night on one or more occasions (according to testimony or other info) I can see how a falling shower rod in a foreign country could really frighten her or even cause a flashback sort of thing.

*shower rod incident in Central America: while Jill and Derick were living there she (or they, Derick may have been home at the time and I believe Israel was there, too) a shower rod fell causing an alarming clatter, but Jill didn't know it was the shower rod and she became very frightened and they talked about it later. For some reason I think it happened during daylight hours.

Someone here knows that story better than I remember it, so please clarify for newer members what happened.

I’ve always assumed the shower rod incident was a PTSD thing - regardless of the original traumatic experience, an unexpected loud noise can set off a PTSD response. I actually think that incident was the moment Derick really started to understand how much was wrong with the Duggar family, and probably was the starting point for him to encourage Jill to get therapy.

• Upvote 26
  • Love 4

On 12/23/2021 at 3:52 PM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Maybe the question was added to the questionnaire after they didn’t notice Ben was a Calvinist?

Ben wanted to get in Jessa's pants so badly, that it wouldn't surprise me at all if he renounced Calvinism to Boob and then once married with children, the Lord "led his heart" back to what he was raised with.

That said, I will say, as someone raised non-trinitarian, if I were to join a trinitarian church it would be Calvinist.

• Upvote 3

I found a toddler outside walking home in Iowa one winter.  Poor girl was barefoot with no jacket or any warm gear and had clearly tried to get to the playground.  I lived in a trailer park and did not see anyone looking for her, but knew that someone ran a daycare in the park.  The child couldn't/wouldn't tell me anything so I brought her to the daycare wondering if she had escaped and they called the police.  I was really worried someone would think I was trying to steal her but obviously I couldn't leave her there - it gets COLD even for adults with boots.

I always figured she slipped out and felt so bad for the panic her parent must have felt, but I also didn't feel comfortable knocking on random doors and handing off a kid.

• Upvote 9

4 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

Is it weird to anyone else that the details still haven't come out?

No. If it’s as people are assuming - that it was a small M kid- and the reason a formal charge was filed is because the M’s are under CPS notice (for obvious reasons) - then there is no reason any details would be publicly released. Not that they necessarily would be otherwise - but if it came from CPS reporting requirements- the file details definitely wouldn’t be released. If that makes sense. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

Ben wanted to get in Jessa's pants so badly, that it wouldn't surprise me at all if he renounced Calvinism to Boob and then once married with children, the Lord "led his heart" back to what he was raised with.

Ultimately, he’s a believer in the Church of the Holy Sex.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 1

Fairly quickly, I think, but I was allowed to leave her in care at the daycare since they were a place of refuge? Something legal I don't remember that meant this was okay.  I checked in after my afternoon classes (had been going home over lunch to walk the dogs) and she was long since home safe and sound.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 3

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic