IGNORED

Jana Duggar 14: Child Endangerment Charges and Howlers Supporting Her Via Meme

HerNameIsBuffy

2 hours ago, socalrules said:

The charge was likely dropped to an infraction and she paid a fine. Not surprised. That happened to a friend of mine. 

Yep. Or the charges were agreed to be dropped but she still had assorted bureaucratic filing fees. Which is common, and can be a real downward spiral if you’re poor. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

It will soon be like it never happened. I it will be put down to persecution and they’ll learn nothing from the episode because they never accept they get it wrong and that having zillions of kids with a chaotic lifestyle on ‘Duggar Time’ creates unhealthy situations.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, Idlewild said:

It will soon be like it never happened. I it will be put down to persecution and they’ll learn nothing from the episode because they never accept they get it wrong and that having zillions of kids with a chaotic lifestyle on ‘Duggar Time’ creates unhealthy situations.

Thankfully they will be periodically reminded. Like in the spring when he’s sentenced. And it will remind the public all over again too. Which sounds good to me. I don’t think JB and Michelle should be allowed to forget what they did. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

15 hours ago, Idlewild said:

I’m not in the US so don’t know what ‘adjudicated’ means? Is it similar to a caution in English law where charges are not pursued but the defendant has admitted the offence and receives a formal caution which does go on their record, but is not a conviction? 

So typically juveniles are adjudicated vs. convicted. Adjudication refers to the legal process of resolving a dispute between two or more parties. The result of the process is a judgment and court opinion that is legally binding.

So with our JD's when they are adjudicated, they are then scheduled for a "dispositional hearing" vs. sentencing, at which time they get the outcome of the court appearance (usually probation or a conditional discharge)   

My guess is she either got a Conditional Discharge (CD) or an Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal (ACD). She might have to pay some fines and will have to follow court ordered release conditions for a period of up to 1 year. If she has no re-offending behaviors and completes anything the court asks of her, they will either discharge or dismiss the charges. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 7

38 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

@Sullie06 thank you for the explanation. Am I correct in thinking that to come to this resolution Jana must have made some sort of admission?

Unless they dismissed it all together, which typically doesn't happen, she would have had to make admissions. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

On 1/1/2022 at 10:40 PM, waltraute said:

Sweet fancy Moses, what is going on in Michelle's mind during these huge get-togethers? It would be difficult to navigate family-only gatherings at a time like this, but inviting in large numbers of non-family? I can't comprehend this at all

JB, I kind of get. He's living on JB planet and is only concerned with JB. I think of him as an evil Pigpen from the Charlie Brown comics. He's living inside an impenetrable cloud of narcissism, shady financial dealings, and power/ money machinations. I think Josh is now outside that cloud and so is of no personal concern to his father, beyond the inconvenience the rebranding/reframing or more likely, the outright ignoring that JB must employ to push forward his plot for fundie world domination.

But Michelle? I cannot comprehend what what she is doing, thinking, feeling during these mass gatherings. 

And I'm so damn curious about the state of Michelle and JB's marriage right now. I don't believe Michelle keeps sweet 100% of the time. 

I think Michelle is probably a narcissist too. Her identity is about being a mother not mothering. The orchard of crotch fruit fed her ego just as much as Jim Bob’s.

On 1/2/2022 at 11:39 AM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Among the things they do which I would have found intolerable as a child the lack of books would have broken me.

I was a voracious reader in part because it was my mental escape.  The fact that Jill brings her boys to the library shouldn't be seen as a remarkable feat of parenting, but in that family it is.

I read to cope too

• Love 7

1 hour ago, Sullie06 said:

Unless they dismissed it all together, which typically doesn't happen, she would have had to make admissions. 

In my experience, these kind of things get dismissed pretty regularly. A charge is made, usually with a bench ticket, at the time of the incident - an investigation is done and charges dismissed because of lack of evidence, not an actual crime, etc. - 

I’m not a lawyer but a former social worker, who worked with tons of parents with a variety of criminal and CPS issues. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

On 1/4/2022 at 1:37 AM, potato said:

I remember an elementary school classmate who couldn't eat chocolate because of a caffeine allergy. I can't remember if they could tolerate small amounts of chocolate, though. 

It would depend on the severity of the allergy. Even trace amounts of nuts causes me to stop breathing. 
A little girl whom I taught had a cardiac condition that meant absolutely no caffeine, not even chocolate milk. Her parents were awesome though and bought her strawberry milk so she still had a treat with her lunch while the other kids knocked back their chocolate milk. Yes, plain would be healthier in terms of sugar but kids need to fit in with their peers. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

On 1/4/2022 at 2:37 AM, potato said:

I remember an elementary school classmate who couldn't eat chocolate because of a caffeine allergy. I can't remember if they could tolerate small amounts of chocolate, though. 

My mum has a severe reaction to caffeine and it extends to chocolate. I make her chocolate chip cookies for her birthday and mothers day but I make them with Carob Chips instead of chocolate cuz that's the only way she can have them. I'm sure glad I didn't inherit that issue as I'd deeply miss chocolate. I have learned how many things have caffeine in them though because of her. 

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, KeepingChrysanthemum said:

My mum has a severe reaction to caffeine and it extends to chocolate. I make her chocolate chip cookies for her birthday and mothers day but I make them with Carob Chips instead of chocolate cuz that's the only way she can have them. I'm sure glad I didn't inherit that issue as I'd deeply miss chocolate. I have learned how many things have caffeine in them though because of her. 

This made me miss carob ice cream, which my mom would get when we were kids because she was into natural foods. I really craved white bread, soda, all the other forbidden goodies - but loved the carob ice cream. I have no idea if it was actually more healthy. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mama Mia said:

In my experience, these kind of things get dismissed pretty regularly. A charge is made, usually with a bench ticket, at the time of the incident - an investigation is done and charges dismissed because of lack of evidence, not an actual crime, etc. - 

I’m not a lawyer but a former social worker, who worked with tons of parents with a variety of criminal and CPS issues. 

Probation Officer here and usually, here in my area, if it's made it past discovery and a formal charge has been made by the police agency and it makes it onto the court docket and an initial hearing is held and plea is made, it rarely gets dismissed without some sort of culpability (court fees, fines, restitutuion, CD, ACD) by the offender. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

I was kind of hoping that the court would mandate some sort of child care training . . . even basic stuff such as you shouldn't put an 8yo in charge of a 2yo and one person cannot safely care for 12 little children at one time.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

Endangering the welfare of a child. Jana should have used the Twinkie JB Defense. Heck she learned those skills right from her parents.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

It wasn't dismissed, she pled guilty the judge accepted the plea (as they always do) and was fined.  ~800 was due 12/31 but is showing unpaid as of now.  Could just be holidays delaying processing in the government.

Or paying on Duggar time.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

It wasn't dismissed, she pled guilty the judge accepted the plea (as they always do) and was fined.  ~800 was due 12/31 but is showing unpaid as of now.  Could just be holidays delaying processing in the government.

Yea, I saw that reporting after I posted. 

On 1/1/2022 at 6:22 PM, onekidanddone said:

Has anyone ever seen a bookshelf in the TTH? Other than wisdom booklets and the Bible did the kids grow up with books? 
Jinger seemed so confused that Jermey had books in his house as if having books was a whole new concept 

In one of the early specials they packed up some bookshelves when moving. I remember it, because it felt so sparse to me for that big of a family. At some point in the show I think they realized this because there was a talking head or two about how much they all loved books. Maybe even around the time they visited the public school and told the young elementary kids their favorite book was the Waiting for Prince Charming. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/2/2022 at 12:36 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

My mom occasionally held her Bridge club group at our house when I was a kid. I loved all the snacks she would make and I would try to sneak in and eat some without being noticed. But all the older ladies wanted to talk to me and ask me about school. I was always pretty quiet with people I didn’t know so I stayed mostly hidden on bridge club nights. I can’t imagine living in a family and home like the Duggars. Becky Bontrager made heartbreaking posts about forcing the natural shyness out of her toddlers. It was disgusting. 

Ugh. Voddie Baucham has some horrible evil teaching about beating the shyness out of children. He gives the example of parents who came up to talk to him on Sunday and their young child wouldn’t give him eye contact or respond to his questions. And he told the parents that wasn’t shyness it was disobedience and they were failing in their duty. He also tells the story of an older girl being spanked over and over because she was too shy with an elder until she could learn proper respect. It is revolting. 

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 5
  • Sad 11
  • WTF 7

5 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Probably paying on Duggar time. Most places do online fee payments. If its over a certain amount you can file your finances with the court and be set to pay a certain amount per month. My court fines were $7-8k and change. Separate from the ridiculous for profit probation companies that run UAs, ankle bracelets, pretrial supervision, etc. I paid God, over $15k to them over 7 1/2 years including 1 1/2 years of pretrial. Anyway I think I had to pay between $20-$100 a month because I was incredibly between not being employed (thanks local newspaper) and waiting tables. The catch is you can't get "off paper" or off probation until you've paid your fines. I put every spare cent I had outside rent, car insurance and gas and money for my son, first he was in my care then I relapsed and asked my ex in laws to look after him. I still sent them money. But yeah Jana would probably not be approved for a payment plan. She could go online whenever and start paying. She just hasn't done it yet though she gets x amount of time to pay it.

I wouldn't be surprised if she got what is called a DJ or deferred judgement, where I've lived. Basically you go in, plead guilty, pay fines and then if you don't get arrested or ticketed again in 6 months, 1 year whenever you no longer have a charge on your record. My most recent ex got one for domestic violence. Trigger warning DV

Spoiler

He cracked my skull against the washing machine, made me miscarry at around 4 months, etc. He had a lengthy record for DV DUIs and assaults all in the same state (Utah) and the prosecutor dropped the felony DV charges he was given, I was spregnant and his 17 year old son lived with us. He was given an alcohol assessment which he must have lied and they let him get away with it because apparently he had no follow up treatment. He drinks daily, days he didn't work from 2 pm when he woke up to 5 am when he passed out, when he worked from the time he got off to when bars closed in Utah at 1:30 am then he drove home drunk every night in a small town to drink more. Still he didn't get arrested again within 6 months despite driving home drunk nightly and boom there goes his "misdemeanor" DV charge. Murica!

But yeah he got a DJ and they'll give them for first time drug offenses depending on the person and other things.  So for Jana I can definitely see them giving her one or whatever they'd be called in Arkansas. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Expectopatronus said:

It would depend on the severity of the allergy. Even trace amounts of nuts causes me to stop breathing. 
A little girl whom I taught had a cardiac condition that meant absolutely no caffeine, not even chocolate milk. Her parents were awesome though and bought her strawberry milk so she still had a treat with her lunch while the other kids knocked back their chocolate milk. Yes, plain would be healthier in terms of sugar but kids need to fit in with their peers. 

How would that work with a chocolate bar, where it always says "this may contain nuts", if someone were eating a chocolate bar near you? Is it better if people don't eat chocolate indoors? Sorry if it is a stupid question, I always worry, because I know one shouldn't eat nuts near an allergic person. 

16 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

Ugh. Voddie Baucham has some horrible evil teaching about beating the shyness out of children. He gives the example of parents who came up to talk to him on Sunday and their young child wouldn’t give him eye contact or respond to his questions. And he told the parents that wasn’t shyness it was disobedience and they were failing in their duty. He also tells the story of an older girl being spanked over and over because she was too shy with an elder until she could learn proper respect. It is revolting. 

That’s just deplorable. Hey Voddie! Some kids are just shy, that is their nature, that is how God made them. And some kids are “shy,” don’t make eye contact, answer questions because they’re autistic. And that is okay because, guess what Voddie? That is how God made them. 

Matthew 5:5

“Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.”

God made some people extroverts and He made some people introverts. 

https://www.christianpost.com/amp/god-created-extroverts-and-introverts-for-a-reason.html

• Upvote 9

I don’t know anything about this Voddie guy and I can’t imagine a parent spanking for shyness…but I do think parents should work to help their child find their voice. I was an extremely shy child.  I remember that anytime someone spoke to me my mom would always tell them oh she’s shy, and would answer for me. It became a self fulfilling prophecy where I did not think I could speak for myself. I ran to my mom for everything. I thought there was truly something wrong with me called being shy that made me not able to order my own food and restaurants and do all sorts of things other kids seemed to do easily. I felt terrible about myself. 

When my kids were little I always had them speak for themselves.  I’d have them tell the waitress what they wanted to eat.  By elementary school if they took their money to the store to buy something I’d have them go through the check out themselves. I always wanted them to feel confident that they could handle things on their own. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 7

I read an excellent book when my son was little, and it said to refer to your child as quiet, and not use the word shy. I explained to my son’s teachers that he was quiet, but he still had friends (and remains friends with the same kids he grew up with now that they’re adults out of college). He never had to be the life of the party and didn’t have any need to be a people pleaser. 

13 hours ago, Travelfan said:

I don’t know anything about this Voddie guy and I can’t imagine a parent spanking for shyness…but I do think parents should work to help their child find their voice. I was an extremely shy child.  I remember that anytime someone spoke to me my mom would always tell them oh she’s shy, and would answer for me. It became a self fulfilling prophecy where I did not think I could speak for myself. I ran to my mom for everything. I thought there was truly something wrong with me called being shy that made me not able to order my own food and restaurants and do all sorts of things other kids seemed to do easily. I felt terrible about myself. 

When my kids were little I always had them speak for themselves.  I’d have them tell the waitress what they wanted to eat.  By elementary school if they took their money to the store to buy something I’d have them go through the check out themselves. I always wanted them to feel confident that they could handle things on their own. 

Yes, this is exactly how I raised my son. I didn’t do his speaking for him. He had to do small errands like run into the library to pick up my books, run in the store for a gallon of milk or go in the water department to drop off the bill payment. I told him since he wasn’t into sports, he could take up an instrument and be in the school marching band to learn teamwork. The summer before ninth grade, I had to insist he go on an amusement park field trip with the other kids in the band which he did not want to do. He was not talking to me when I dropped him off that morning to get on the bus. Guess what? He had such a total blast, which he was not expecting, he almost came back a new kid with a different outlook on life and more open to adventure. And he’s turned into a pretty amazing adult.

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 12
  • Love 7

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic