IGNORED

Lawsy & Tiffy 6: Shallow Pools, Reflecting Each Other

nelliebelle1197

15 hours ago, GreenBeans said:

I just can’t get over how TACKY this whole trip and proposal was.

I know they probably feel so glamorous and sophisticated, jetting around the world, getting professional photos and a magazine exclusive, but… oh my God, don’t they realize how cringey (is this a word?) all of this is to someone from a different background?

It only feels grand to them because their lives are so shallow and their worldviews (and those of the people in their circle) are so narrow.

This feels kind of classist to me.  An engagement trip to Italy would feel pretty grand for a lot of people. 

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • I Agree 30

33 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

This is why I think they will divorce. I think Tiff will grow during the marriage. She will grow up past lawson and his immature selfish ways. And I think her family would support her in her decision. 

Her education isn’t the best, but it still is mountains more than Lawson. I can see Lawson being very threatened by a woman who has a better education. One day she is going to wake up and realize she has grown while he is still an uneducated superficial twit who has zero desire to change. 

• Upvote 21

Someone up thread said they don’t see the problem with making a big deal and planning a big proposal. I definitely don’t think it’s bad if you and your partner have a grand proposal because it suits you. 

But with the bateses, the spectacle is the relationship. They (and especially Lawson) jump from one photo shoot level event to the next without putting in the time and daily effort to actually do the thing. Proposals can come in all shapes, but good marriages require more than big gestures. It belies an immaturity when you can’t see that the richness of life is in the small moments of commitment and perseverance and working together. 

There is nothing wrong with a big proposal. There is something wrong when your relationship is just a string of performances for the gram. What you see is what you get with Lawson. 

• Upvote 43
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, WiseGirl said:

Lawson work? Surely you jest. Has he started monetizing his Instagram yet? 

I love the thread title. This couple however leaves me cold. Tiff you should run while you can. Everyone predicting the divorce could be on to something. 

I don’t know. He has a hand for finding ways to make money. I can see him setting something up, get it running and then quickly let others do the real work for small money while he just reaps in the benefits. At the moment he has no financial problems, supporting your own housing and family will change that quickly. I don’t think he is the type to work for someone else for long. Not with that ego. But he clearly was able to show initiative and successfully so when he was younger.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

Saw his Insta post about the engagement. Anyone find it odd the caption to the jeweller was almost as long as his caption to her. Guessing this ring was discounted or free in exchange for advertising

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 10

10 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

My husband proposed in our livingroom. I was still in my scrubs and was editing and article about flea and tick prevention in dogs I'd written for my work's website. My husband asked me to look at the guinea pig and there the pig was in a tuxedo, holding a ring. Perfect for me!

I love you both. And the guinea pig. Is there a photo of this precious ring bearer? I am assuming Mr Pig is less shallow and more photogenic than TiffLaw.

3 hours ago, GreenBeans said:

Can we all agree to establish this as their couple name on FJ, pretty please?

Nope. Two reasons - the point of ship nicknames is to make a couple name SHORTER not longer and more awkward.

And there is something about that combination of words that is tinged with both racism and homophobia that I am sure is absolutely NOT intended or on purpose but is there nonetheless.

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 5
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 10

I got engaged on a street corner in Baltimore, without a retinue, because we are grown-ass adults.

I believe that they need to get married after Tiffany turns 23 on Feb 10, but before Lawson turns 30 on July 27.

• Upvote 9

If anyone watches Saturday Night Live, I think this wedding is going to be like the one where Kate McKinnon and Dan Levy were in the audience texting each other and making comments. We here at FJ are Dan and Kate. If you haven't seen it, look up wedding friends snl on Youtube. 

I would love it if Lawson utters the words, “I’m sorry, do I suck somehow?!”

Edited by rebeccawriter01
  • Upvote 7

OMG I totally had a fundie-like proposal and I didn't even realize it until just now. We were HS sweethearts and skipped senior week and instead went to the outer banks for a week. 18 years old. Babies. 🤦‍♀️ While we were there our two year "anniversary" came and he proposed on the beach at sunset. What were we thinking. I'd have SUCH a hard time with that now if it were one of our kids. Anyway, we came home, and neither set of parents totally freaked, although we did wait until after I got my associates to get hitched. I mean it ended well, 28 years and still married. Our wedding was NOT a fundie wedding though. 20 people, tiny church my husband's family attended, dinner back at the in laws. 

• Upvote 18
  • Love 8

I feel almost defensive at the talk of people seemingly feeling superior for having low key engagements as if that’s somehow better than grand ones. Every personality is different and some people want the big production for their proposal. I agree that theirs feels flat because everything with them is a performance, but I agree with @lumpentheologie that a trip to Italy for a proposal would be so incredibly special for so many people. That’s one of my dream travel destinations and I will be lucky to ever afford flying overseas for a week long vacation just to see the sights there. My husband’s proposal involved a trip out of state and a scenic location for the actual proposal and it was everything I ever could have wanted. It was the place we had taken our very first couple trip together to and we even got the perfect little snow flurry occurring while he proposed. I think any kind of proposal is special, whether it’s at home in your pjs (which was one of my friend’s) or in an elaborate trip to Italy like Lawson and Tiff’s was. Saying any elaborate proposal is fundie-like is just really not true because non-fundies have elaborate ones too and honestly, most fundies do have very low key proposals because they actually practice modesty of character and not the vanity that the Bates do. 

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 11

6 minutes ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

I feel almost defensive at the talk of people seemingly feeling superior for having low key engagements as if that’s somehow better than grand ones. Every personality is different and some people want the big production for their proposal. I agree that theirs feels flat because everything with them is a performance, but I agree with @lumpentheologie that a trip to Italy for a proposal would be so incredibly special for so many people. That’s one of my dream travel destinations and I will be lucky to ever afford flying overseas for a week long vacation just to see the sights there. My husband’s proposal involved a trip out of state and a scenic location for the actual proposal and it was everything I ever could have wanted. It was the place we had taken our very first couple trip together to and we even got the perfect little snow flurry occurring while he proposed. I think any kind of proposal is special, whether it’s at home in your pjs (which was one of my friend’s) or in an elaborate trip to Italy like Lawson and Tiff’s was. Saying any elaborate proposal is fundie-like is just really not true because non-fundies have elaborate ones too and honestly, most fundies do have very low key proposals because they actually practice modesty of character and not the vanity that the Bates do. 

I think that my issue with most fundy proposals and weddings, etc. when it comes to the Bates and Duggars both is that they are elaborate but not personal. Using Lawson and Tiffany, is there something about Italy that says something about them? Does she have a love of pasta that we're not aware of or does he secretly have plans to learn to sing Italian opera? It appears to me that it is all for the picture and an aesthetic. It goes back to this idea that these couples don't really know each other at all. Kelton and Brandon tried to tie in connections with their proposals and in Kelton's situation a location Josie said she always wanted to see (at least that was the story for the show). Evan tried to include dancing for Carlin because that was what she said she wanted. 

But with Lawson and Tiffany, Bobby and Tori, and even Erin and Chad, we simply saw the man going down a check list of what "should" be a part of a proposal. Maybe there is more of a story to it, but I doubt it since it is Lawson. This is a guy who wrote a love song before he met Tiffany and then included her in the video because it reminded him of her. WTH? If I write a book or a poem about something romantic, I'm not dedicating it to the man I meet after it is done. He didn't inspire it - just like Tiffany didn't inspire his song. 

Simplistic or elaborate, the proposal should be personal. This one seems generic because it is more superficial to me at least. Maybe elaborate isn't the keyword for the fundy proposal trope as much as it is impersonal. 

I am single but I have been proposed to twice. One was elaborate and over the top (way too embarrassing for this introvert) and the other was lowkey and quiet (more my style). Neither worked out. 

• Upvote 24
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

My issue with the proposals is that Every. Single. One. Seems to staged for the TV machine and not sincere. If YOU told me your boyfriend skydived into the ceremony or took you on a romantic Venetian gondola ride to propose I would think it was sweet. In fact, my last turn as a maid of honor was for a friend whose proposal was on a trip to Italy (and was done much better than Lawson’s as it was in an ancient church - bride is Catholic - with history and other religious touches that had meaning to a Catholic bride (or as best as her Baptist’s minister’s son husband could manage!). If YOU told me about an engagement similar to LawTif’s I would smile and be happy for you because it would not have a stunt for the press or TV.

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

58 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

My issue with the proposals is that Every. Single. One. Seems to staged for the TV machine and not sincere. 

Excellent points made by all. I also get the feeling that the "Bates Machine" is on this compulsive course to keep upping the ante. Each announcement a more lavish spectacle than the last. Each instagram post more polished and professionally captured. We have all come a long way from the cringey home footage of poor Zach courtprosing to the Reith girl with a washcloth.

• Upvote 23
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Nope. Two reasons - the point of ship nicknames is to make a couple name SHORTER not longer and more awkward.

And there is something about that combination of words that is tinged with both racism and homophobia that I am sure is absolutely NOT intended or on purpose but is there nonetheless.

Sorry, I hadn’t even considered this. I just thought the word play was clever (but then both my cultural and linguistic background are different, so maybe that’s why that didn’t register with me).

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I love you both. And the guinea pig. Is there a photo of this precious ring bearer? I am assuming Mr Pig is less shallow and more photogenic than TiffLaw.

How is that racist or homophobic?

• Eyeroll 2

You all realize that the best part of Law & Tiff's engagement is reading the comments on here? 

I think the location of the proposal looks amazing, but all I could think of is "imagine the excellent wine they must have at that vineyard which is totally wasted on these people!"

:text-lol:

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, sparrow said:

Excellent points made by all. I also get the feeling that the "Bates Machine" is on this compulsive course to keep upping the ante. Each announcement a more lavish spectacle than the last. Each instagram post more polished and professionally captured. We have all come a long way from the cringey home footage of poor Zach courtprosing to the Reith girl with a washcloth.

Yes, and I'm not quite sure what tops a Tuscan vineyard as an engagement location. Some insanely beautiful Polynesian private island resort? Machu Picchu? Venice (although I would have given good cash $ to see Lawson cosplay a singing goldolier)?The Great Wall of China? The International Space Station? 

Edited by HereticHick
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 10

7 hours ago, Grace987 said:

Saw his Insta post about the engagement. Anyone find it odd the caption to the jeweller was almost as long as his caption to her. Guessing this ring was discounted or free in exchange for advertising

Lawson has been known for his cheapness. There’s no way he paid even close to full price for that rock. 

• Upvote 9

12 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

Lawson work? Surely you jest. Has he started monetizing his Instagram yet? 

I love the thread title. This couple however leaves me cold. Tiff you should run while you can. Everyone predicting the divorce could be on to something. 

He has..badly. his adds.feel like ads and are.just randomly placed. He could take lessons from his sisters, Carlin and Josie are excellent at product placement. 

(Jana Duggar is also terrible, she did one recently and it felt like an infomercial, Jill is also not great but she is very honest about what she is selling)

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

12 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I believe that they need to get married after Tiffany turns 23 on Feb 10, but before Lawson turns 30 on July 27.

That timeframe seems doable and reasonable. 

I personally would’ve saved Italy for the honeymoon. They got 3 or 4 chaperoned days. I’d prefer to be a duo for a week. I think Josie & Kelton should’ve saved Utah for the honeymoon too. 

• Upvote 7

At least Lawson will probably help with their children. We know he loves using babies as props. If he wants to use his kid as a prop for the camera, he will have to interact with the kid. So he probably will engage with the baby. However I have a hard time imagining him changing poopy diapers. I bet he will leave that to Tiff. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

I think that an engagement, just like a wedding, should be exactly what the couple wants and considers special and personal to them. Have your 200 person cake and punch wedding if that's what you wanna look back on. Get engaged in Tuscany or Red Lobster or laying in bed together after mind-blowing sex. Just... be happy to be together and look back on the memories fondly.

• Upvote 20
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

At least Lawson will probably help with their children. We know he loves using babies as props. If he wants to use his kid as a prop for the camera, he will have to interact with the kid. So he probably will engage with the baby. However I have a hard time imagining him changing poopy diapers. I bet he will leave that to Tiff. 

They probably also won't have a lot of children, maybe three or four

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

the couple wants and considers special and personal to them.

I think maybe that's what bothers me with these engagements. They are made for television and don't seem personal imo. But wasn't there a photo of Tiff with an engagement ring before it was announced? I think I saw one on Tumblr.  

Also I know Lawson worked as a teen but that's almost 15 years ago now. Up TV must be more profitable than I thought. I still want someone to break the code of fundie finances...

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic