Jump to content
IGNORED

Alyssa & John 9: It’s All About Dressing Up and Looking Perfect on Instagram


nelliebelle1197
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, meep said:

Wait, what's wrong with oatmeal packets? I have that every morning with fruit and almond milk! I don't think it's so dubious. 

I also use baking mixes. It's the only way I bake for the most part. I love things from scratch but I certainly don't have time for that and probably never will. 😛 (And I rarely ever bake. If I need something sweet, I always have...powdered hot chocolate from the tin. lol.) My dad loves beans but even he says "making beans like from back home in my old country seems like a luxury here. It's very simple but takes a very long time." I guess my cuisine is processed food mixed with fresh food. My favorite meal is still frozen packaged ravioli combined with sautéed mushrooms that came fresh from the local farmer's market. I

The packets, especially the flavored ones, are filled with sugar-

  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

My 10 year old is learning bake and we are starting with mixes and with making mug cakes and such. She discovered cake mix cookies - oil and eggs and cake mix,  scoop 'em on a pan after rolling in sugar and bake. They are actually insanely easy and really damn good with the right cake mix. She made some with a double chocolate mix that tasted like really expensive bakery cookies. Pro tip - strawberry cake mix is not a good choice if you are older than say six.

It is just soooo sweet! I wonder if it would taste better if paired with a less sweet frosting. But then....making non-store bought frosting is so hard too! I once tried to make royal icing and it was the worst thing I've ever created in the kitchen thus far!!!

  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm pregnant and really looking forward to baking (from scratch) with my kid. I have a lot of good memories cooking with my mom. My partner's mom never taught her kids to cook, which I think was a tactical error. When I met him, he was in his early 30s and could make maybe 5 meals. He's come a long way and his kid will grow up with fun kitchen memories, I hope!

In my opinion, a lot of baking from scratch is just as easy as using a mix. And often healthier. I usually cut the sugar in half in baking, at least.

  • Upvote 13
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

My husband is one of those people who eats whatever is in front of him even it belongs to someone else (example, my 10 year old has an adventurous palate. She gets a fancy meal and saves part of it for later but invariably dad eats it). 

I still resent my (now deceased) father for doing that. It's SO rude. It also caused me a bit of an eating disorder that I have to work really hard to counteract. I often feel the need to either eat everything, even when I'm not hungry (and gain weight, and then have to spend longer at the gym), or just toss it because I know it won't be there in the fridge when I come back to it anyway, which frustrates me because food is expensive. I know other people people probably don't have the same sort of horrible relationship with their fathers and that was just one of the many, many, many disappointing boundaries that were crossed but I still feel compelled to mention it. 

 

24 minutes ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

In my opinion, a lot of baking from scratch is just as easy as using a mix. And often healthier. I usually cut the sugar in half in baking, at least.

IF I am going to bake (usually after watching The Great British Bake Off) I will almost exclusively look for recipes from Europe as they don't put literal cups of sugar in everything. 

  • Upvote 9
  • Love 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, meep said:

It is just soooo sweet! I wonder if it would taste better if paired with a less sweet frosting. But then....making non-store bought frosting is so hard too! I once tried to make royal icing and it was the worst thing I've ever created in the kitchen thus far!!!

She does not frost them- just rolls them in sugar! I think she is spoiled because I make a homemade cake with fresh strawberries and she says anything not that tastes fake!

  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I've had multiple friends brag to me about their love of water or tell me they swim laps to workout,  only to find out they can only do a doggy paddle flail with their heads above water. Same for bragging about their kids' swimming abilities. The different cultural outlooks on this have really surprised me. 

We have a bunch of triathlons here were the swim is in a pool, get out and run outside to the bike, then run. One of the "advantages" of this is that I get to see all of the (lack) of swim skills. There are people who swim with their head out of the water but still do the front crawl as much as possible and it looks SO uncomfortable. I love watching some of the Pre-Title-IX ladies do their sidestrokes, though, it's so graceful.  I can not sidestroke to save my life. 

  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

One of Bill Gothard's principles was that all of the siblings were best friends. In his teachings, children weren't supposed to have individual friends, but families could have friends. I know I've read that somewhere, but I can't find a source atm.

I am tagging @formergothardite on this and see if she recalls. I really thought it was a Maxwell thing.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

We have a bunch of triathlons here were the swim is in a pool, get out and run outside to the bike, then run. One of the "advantages" of this is that I get to see all of the (lack) of swim skills. There are people who swim with their head out of the water but still do the front crawl as much as possible and it looks SO uncomfortable. I love watching some of the Pre-Title-IX ladies do their sidestrokes, though, it's so graceful.  I can not sidestroke to save my life. 

This discussion is making me feel like I don’t have great swimming skills! And I probably don’t, in a technical sense. I learned all of the strokes as a kid, but I really hate the feeling of having my head or face in the water, so if I’m ever swimming for fun or exercise, I do the breaststroke with my head fully out of the water. I look like a frog and it’s definitely not the speediest method, but it works for me. And I’m pretty sure I could keep it up for awhile if I needed to for survival reasons. 

  • Upvote 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The swimming videos were adorable, he only thing that struck me was when Alyssa held Lexis head as she practiced having her head under water, while filming with her phone in the other hand!  I think it's great that they are learning and everything, but she really should have her full attention on her small child with her head under water. 

  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

IF I am going to bake (usually after watching The Great British Bake Off) I will almost exclusively look for recipes from Europe as they don't put literal cups of sugar in everything.

My kids and I have a rule: When you use American recipes, cut the amount of sugar by half, at least. Works perfectly well for us.
That said, I often reduce the sugar in European recipes, too. My husband is diabetic, so over the years we've gradually reduced our sugar input. It's really just a question of what you're used to, same as with salt, and it's possible to teach your palate to be happy with less of both, in my experience.

  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, SassyPants said:

In today’s IG AW films the girls showing off their swimming skills. I can’t tell whether the safety fence around the pool is still in place. As Allie makes her way across the pool dog paddling style, AW makes the comment that she’s surprised that Allie can swim at all. I wonder if AW knows how to swim? I’m frightened for a family with all those little kids having a pool that might not be 100% secure and a primary caregiver who might not know how to swim. Recently, AW was filming her grape vines while the kids swam with floaties unattended. It does interest me that kids who live FL and who are 6 and 4 in the case of the older girls, have so few swimming skills. 

And is she trained in cpr? Australian laws at least in my state it’s mandatory to have a cpr chart near the pool. Mandatory pool fences. If I moved into a house with a pool I would make it my priority to learn cpr. But hey as soon as I was pregnant I would have made it my priority. (I have to be cpr trained for work anyway). My kid in regular day care is five and already has the basic understanding of cpr because her teachers run through it at school and she has been through it in her swimming lessons since she was three. She can’t save anyone but hopefully it is making a good foundation for when she is older. 
I did a school first aid course in year 6 at schooland I think (if I did not panic) after that I would have had a good shot at saving someone. Everything in Australia is trying to kill us lol that’s why I think they push the first aid training lol. 
long winded ramble soz. 

  • Upvote 12
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

Pre-Title-IX ladies do their sidestrokes, though, it's so graceful. 

Me, me, me I never realized I aged myself by knowing this. I like the stretch it gives me and I use it as recovery if that makes sense. 

For the record I use box mixes but I'm gluten free and Xanthan Gum is a pain in the ass. My first gluten free bread looked beautiful and made a great doorstop.  

That pool with those parents concern me. Oh Alyssa put the girls in school and get a career. There are more choices out there than you've been allowed to see or imagine.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I grew up very poor and as a very picky eater. My mom was very much like Alyssa where we only ate processed foods and lots of fast food. Other than baby food, I can honestly say I don’t think I ate a vegetable from toddlerhood until I was about 9 years old because my mom never bought any, not even the canned ones. Once I had my first vegetable, I hated them. My dad and stepmom would force me to eat them at almost every single meal with them from the time I was about 9 until I was 18, and it made my aversion to them even worse because I wasn’t allowed to leave the table until they were eaten. I was never taught to cook, and so when I was finally living on my own in grad school, I realized I needed to feed myself something a little healthier and hopefully cheaper, so I started with lots of easy recipes and finally gained the courage to try roasting veggies for the first time. I was blown away by how AMAZING veggies are that way and now, I actually do like a lot of vegetables and cooking from scratch. But, I still love fast food and processed foods because they’re easy and they’re my comfort food. I eat fast food one day a week usually because I usually just crave McDonalds fries or a Taco Bell quesadilla, and I eat microwave sausage biscuits for breakfast, keep the crappy Sweet Sixteen donuts around for when I want something sweet, and still love Goldfish and Cheezits. So I definitely get where Alyssa is coming from because I still love my fast food and processed things, but I find it’s actually not too bad to cook from scratch with fresh meat and veggies. 

  • Upvote 6
  • Sad 1
  • Love 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

I'm pregnant and really looking forward to baking (from scratch) with my kid. I have a lot of good memories cooking with my mom. My partner's mom never taught her kids to cook, which I think was a tactical error. When I met him, he was in his early 30s and could make maybe 5 meals. He's come a long way and his kid will grow up with fun kitchen memories, I hope!

In my opinion, a lot of baking from scratch is just as easy as using a mix. And often healthier. I usually cut the sugar in half in baking, at least.

Baking with my mom is one of my favorite memories. Baking with my kids is a form of torture. I do it because I think it is important for them to learn but it is chaotic and we bake from mixes sometimes because it just reduces the mess and the steps, which is a lot when you are dealing with a 4 year old "helper". 

 

Edited by CanadianMamam
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And today’s IG is apparently being filmed by AW as she cruises down the street con kiddos. I know we talk about her lack of intellectual curiosity but she’s also just not very bright. Fundies and their lack of basic safety measures make the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I guess when you have a billion little kids, each one really isn’t all that precious.

  • Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

One of Bill Gothard's principles was that all of the siblings were best friends. In his teachings, children weren't supposed to have individual friends, but families could have friends. I know I've read that somewhere, but I can't find a source atm.

The Maly family has a whole book on this subject.  "Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends"

  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, clueliss said:

The Maly family has a whole book on this subject.  "Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends"

I know but the Malleys also had tons of outside friends.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2021 at 8:12 PM, meep said:

It is just soooo sweet! I wonder if it would taste better if paired with a less sweet frosting. But then....making non-store bought frosting is so hard too! I once tried to make royal icing and it was the worst thing I've ever created in the kitchen thus far!!!

Oh meep, I meant to talk to you about something else! American buttercream is super easy and you can cut the sweet easily with salt. It is icing sugar, butter and a little cream with vanilla or other flavors like almond. You could totally make it! (I think you are in the UK, right? If you are in the US icing sugar=powdered or confectioners sugar).

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

Baking with my mom is one of my favorite memories. Baking with my kids is a form of torture. I do it because I think it is important for them to learn but it is chaotic and we bake from mixes sometimes because it just reduces the mess and the steps, which is a lot when you are dealing with a 4 year old "helper". 

 

Aww, I bet your kids love it!

I think we made some fairly simple recipes like peanut butter cookies a lot but I definitely remember sneezing into cake batter at one point. We ate the cake anyway 🤣

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

My dad and stepmom would force me to eat them at almost every single meal with them from the time I was about 9 until I was 18, and it made my aversion to them even worse because I wasn’t allowed to leave the table until they were eaten. 

That is so horrible.  I am sorry that happened to you.  

Edited by Satan'sFortress
  • Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I know but the Malleys also had tons of outside friends.

The bontragers preach on that too and they also have a lot of outside friends. They are friends with the dugger for goodness sakes. 

  • Upvote 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/2/2021 at 4:43 PM, nelliebelle1197 said:

Oh meep, I meant to talk to you about something else! American buttercream is super easy and you can cut the sweet easily with salt. It is icing sugar, butter and a little cream with vanilla or other flavors like almond. You could totally make it! (I think you are in the UK, right? If you are in the US icing sugar=powdered or confectioners sugar).

 I have found this ratio to be the best. 1 1/2 c powdered sugar plus 1T heavy cream per one stick of butter. Vanilla to taste, I never measure. Beat in your mixer on med for 6-7 minutes, scraping the bowl once or twice.  Use half salted and half unsalted butter for the best flavor. 

  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any thoughts on the Webster menu for their Memorial Day cookout? John cooked the meat ( chicken breasts, hot dogs, and burgers) and I guess Alyssa opened bags of chips. Oh, there was a bowl of watermelon, but not sure if a guest provided that and then “tons” of desserts according to A. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For a Memorial Day cookout? No worries. One meal won't hurt anything.

The bigger issue is whether the family eats well (healthily, lots of fruit and veg) on a regular basis, and that's an ongoing question here.

  • Upvote 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That sounds like a pretty ordinary cook out menu. Although in my neck of the woods, someone always seems to make potato salad. 

  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share




×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.