IGNORED

Alyssa & John 9: It’s All About Dressing Up and Looking Perfect on Instagram

nelliebelle1197

This type of "greige" (grey and/or beige) engineered hardwood and laminate faux-wood flooring is extremely popular because it's way cheaper than hardwood. It's basically the new tile. I hate it too, but I understand not everyone can afford to restore an older home with original floors or put down new hardwood ones.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

They can’t reach the floor. Their feet would just be dangling without any support. She should get those ones for the four kids (with a newborn set for the 4 month old): https://www.stokke.com/USA/en-us/highchairs/tripp-trapp/TT01.html#!/configurator

Is the dangling feet a bad thing, health wise? Seriously asking. My daughter just turned 3 and we stopped using the booster a few months ago (she's tall though, like consistently 98-99th percentile). She can climb onto and out of our regular dining chairs and reach the table fine, but no, her feet don't touch the floor while she's sitting.

I don't think I know anyone who would still have a 6 and 4 year old in a high chair. At 4 even a booster is a stretch in my experience unless the child is particularly small (I have no idea how big Lexi is).

Edited by VineHeart137
  • Upvote 3

I hate bar stools that do not have a place for your feet to rest. I find dangling legs very uncomfortable. I avoid that kind of seating at all costs.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5

I just put that type of floor in my grandparent's house we moved into and renovated. It is considered the new generation of laminate, but waterproof and much more realistic. I did it because it is cheaper and faster than hardwood. I like her light over the table, I like the centerpiece, and I like the wallpaper accent wall. I don't care for the table and chairs. 

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

Completely agree. It's so sterile. I get that everyone has a different sense of style, but what she says and what she decorates for are two very different things.

It really doesn’t look comfy or cozy at all - all that white, grey, glass... And definitely not like a home where children live.

I know taste is a very personal thing and may vary, but I think here in Germany this kind of table and chairs would actually be considered pretty tacky and dated. I don’t know any young people (with or without children) who would buy a dining set like that. Would it be considered fancy / fashionable in the US? Genuinely wondering, because I’ve noticed that in general American houses, floors and furniture look really different from what you’d see in real estate listings here.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6

57 minutes ago, FrumpyAtheist said:

This type of "greige" (grey and/or beige) engineered hardwood and laminate faux-wood flooring is extremely popular because it's way cheaper than hardwood. It's basically the new tile. I hate it too, but I understand not everyone can afford to restore an older home with original floors or put down new hardwood ones.

Yes, but even so I wouldn’t go for that grey color. This kind of grey vinyl-fake-hardwood flooring something I see here a lot too, recently, and I know that it’s available in warmer, wooden designs as well. But I guess the flooring she chose is pretty much on trend (both in the US and here in Germany). It’s just I really don’t like it, and it will probably look dated in no time (as all “on trend” things do once the trend has faded).

We will be moving to a new place soon and have picked out some new furniture (been living with lots of old, cheap, trashy IKEA stuff and feel like finally getting some “real” furniture now). We’ll be keeping some and replace other pieces bit by bit, getting nice, quality stuff (some of it used). I’m a sucker for real wooden furniture that will last forever and hopefully never look THAT outdated.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, FrumpyAtheist said:

I have zero issues with laminate flooring. I’ve seen some really nice floors that are laminate. I just hate this one particular pattern/color.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 7

1 hour ago, VineHeart137 said:

Is the dangling feet a bad thing, health wise? Seriously asking. My daughter just turned 3 and we stopped using the booster a few months ago (she's tall though, like consistently 98-99th percentile). She can climb onto and out of our regular dining chairs and reach the table fine, but no, her feet don't touch the floor while she's sitting.

I don't think I know anyone who would still have a 6 and 4 year old in a high chair. At 4 even a booster is a stretch in my experience unless the child is particularly small (I have no idea how big Lexi is).

I really don’t think it’s a dangerous thing, health wise (anyone correct me if I’m wrong), but I would find it super uncomfortable to have dangling legs. I’m really short, and I hate when there is no foot support, it’s so uncomfortable. I often use a cardboard box or a small suitcase as a foot support, because I can never reach the floor. 

The Tripp Trapp high chair is good, because it doesn’t look like a traditional high chair, which can look quite “baby like”. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

No, I don't think that's a thing.  That high chair says it's for up to 3 year olds. The real problem is she got a table chair unsuitable for little kids.

2 hours ago, GreenBeans said:

It really doesn’t look comfy or cozy at all - all that white, grey, glass... And definitely not like a home where children live.

I know taste is a very personal thing and may vary, but I think here in Germany this kind of table and chairs would actually be considered pretty tacky and dated. I don’t know any young people (with or without children) who would buy a dining set like that. Would it be considered fancy / fashionable in the US? Genuinely wondering, because I’ve noticed that in general American houses, floors and furniture look really different from what you’d see in real estate listings here.

As others said, it would have been considered fancy here in the early 2000s, though based on the comments people are impressed. Erin's cottagecore table is trendier, and Josie seems to have the most on-trend house design in general (even though she's obsessed with beige).

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

The Tripp Trapp high chair is good, because it doesn’t look like a traditional high chair, which can look quite “baby like”. 

My daughter is 12, and she still won't give up her old Tripp Trapp. She uses it as a ladder to reach the upper shelves in her room :D. Honestly, they are just great. Super useful, and you won't ever need another highchair, no matter your kid's age, because they're so flexible. I also like the design, but ymmv.

• Upvote 8

5 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

Very short, sort of old person here! I’ve been told since my late 30’s that a lot of my back and hip pain is probably from a lifetime of dangling legs. For a few years, when you are young, it most likely would be ok. But, I think it’s always better to have proper support when seating, when ever possible.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

I’m tall so I very rarely ever feel my legs dangle. I think that’s partly why I detest bar stools. It’s just such a foreign uncomfortable feeling. I’m so used to always having my feel flat on the floor when sitting. 

• Upvote 4

The dining room isn’t my taste but isn’t horrible IMO. I do find the 10 commandments weird because a—they’re written so light you can barely read them and b—all that space before the writing even starts. 
But I find her house odd in other ways. The empty living room area downstairs. I think she finally put a rug down. Maybe she is waiting to get furniture or something. And that their living room w/tv is upstairs in a loft just outside the kids room. I know they like to stay up late but when her sisters visit, they’d hang out there. It seems like that would disturb the kids, that I know she puts to sleep early. I wonder if they’re trained not to come out of their rooms. 

• Upvote 5

I love the dining room, I love the colors, and I love the floor. I don’t like the 10 commandments cause the spacing is weird-like there should be a picture above the words.  The white upholstery looks like it’s vinyl or pleather - I’d get it smudged immediately but she seems like a neat freak, so it will probably stay nice.

I just realized I’ve never, in my late 50’s years of life, lived in a house with a real dining room ?

• Upvote 4

We have a separate dining room.  It gets used a few times a year.  Mostly we sit at the kitchen bench, little kitchen table, outside in the verandah, or far too often on the lounge in the family room to eat. It was, however, very handy to have as an extra workspace last year when DD was working from home and didn’t want to be isolated upstairs in her bedroom.  If I was building a house these days I wouldn’t bother with a separate dinning dining room.

• Upvote 7

22 minutes ago, Karma said:

We have a separate dining room.  It gets used a few times a year.  Mostly we sit at the kitchen bench, little kitchen table, outside in the verandah, or far too often on the lounge in the family room to eat. It was, however, very handy to have as an extra workspace last year when DD was working from home and didn’t want to be isolated upstairs in her bedroom.  If I was building a house these days I wouldn’t bother with a separate dinning dining room.

My favorite house floor plan was the one I lived in most of my childhood, front entryway - kitchen and family room off to one side, a real living room off to another, bedrooms and a bath down the hall and then a master bedroom / bath with its own door and hallway. Closets everywhere! Loved the space separation. 
Most of my houses I’ve lived in you  somehow have to walk straight into the kitchen. Stupid design. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

23 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I have zero issues with laminate flooring. I’ve seen some really nice floors that are laminate. I just hate this one particular pattern/color.

I am looking to get some flooring replaced with laminate.  So many options, it's going to be tough to choose.  

Grew up in older homes with wood flooring.   My folks did refinish the wood flooring in their home but it takes time and serious money to do it.  

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

I am looking to get some flooring replaced with laminate.  So many options, it's going to be tough to choose.  

Grew up in older homes with wood flooring.   My folks did refinish the wood flooring in their home but it takes time and serious money to do it.  

There are a lot of types of laminate that’s for sure! There’s high end laminate and low end laminate with everything in between. You can basically get it in any color and pattern. I would go with something fairly neutral. Nothing too dark or light. Both too dark and too light will show dirt very easily. Nothing too busy like Alyssa’s. 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

There are a lot of types of laminate that’s for sure! There’s high end laminate and low end laminate with everything in between. You can basically get it in any color and pattern. I would go with something fairly neutral. Nothing too dark or light. Both too dark and too light will show dirt very easily. Nothing too busy like Alyssa’s. 

I plan on going neutral as tempting as other patterns are.   But one thing, I am avoiding anything that has too much grey.   I know the white and grey color scheme is popular but it's too sterile for me.   Staying with the original cream colored walls, oak trim in my home and getting something that works with that.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, nokidsmom said:

I plan on going neutral as tempting as other patterns are.   But one thing, I am avoiding anything that has too much grey.   I know the white and grey color scheme is popular but it's too sterile for me.   Staying with the original cream colored walls, oak trim in my home and getting something that works with that.

Grey is becoming outdated. Real wooden forniture (in all shades of natural brown) is coming back. Micro cement (mortar?) is trendy for the floors and also for kitchen surfaces, along with hardwood or neutral laminated.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

On 6/12/2021 at 1:36 PM, GreenBeans said:

America is a big, diverse country.  Personally I feel that her style looks like a downtown highrise apartment for a single guy. But I also feel like her look is a little more "warm climate" (since she's in Florida after all) than the look in some other parts of the country.

I would have 100% been the kid who would take a crayon and "decorate" those white chairs. 

I wonder if the Ten Commandments were a gift from a leg humper fundy maiden who likes calligraphy?  

Although honestly, it could have been worse: https://www.elephantstock.com/products/gods-ten-commandments-canvas-wall-art

Edited by HereticHick
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

The Ten Commandments posters bug me because, as is always the case wirh Alyssa,  it is more about form than function.  She thinks it looks pretty written that way. It's not so important that it is almost impossible to read. The message isn't the point here, the aesthetic is. 

I'm no biblical scholar,  but I imagine that God was more focused on the content of his commandments than his font choice. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Grey is becoming outdated. Real wooden forniture (in all shades of natural brown) is coming back. Micro cement (mortar?) is trendy for the floors and also for kitchen surfaces, along with hardwood or neutral laminated.

I really think people should choose what they like. Why choose something that's "updated" if you personally don't care for it. If you like grey, get grey--who cares if its "outdated"? Who's going to know? By the time you go to sell, something else will be in fashion anyway.

Personally, I think Alyssa's dining room is impractical, pretty ugly, looks sterile, and seems very hard to keep clean. It's  the opposite of homey and warm.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

My favorite house floor plan was the one I lived in most of my childhood, front entryway - kitchen and family room off to one side, a real living room off to another, bedrooms and a bath down the hall and then a master bedroom / bath with its own door and hallway. Closets everywhere! Loved the space separation. 
Most of my houses I’ve lived in you  somehow have to walk straight into the kitchen. Stupid design. 

The house I grew up in was kinda similar. You walked through the front door straight into a massive two-story formal living room, great for keeping guests out of the rest of the house. A hallway with bedrooms and bathrooms was off to one side, and the eat-in kitchen, den, laundry area were on the other side with a dining room catty-corner to the formal living room. Was also a great floor plan for noise reduction.

• Upvote 3

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic