IGNORED

Alyssa & John 9: It’s All About Dressing Up and Looking Perfect on Instagram

nelliebelle1197

2 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

I took her little shrug along with the no in the text as her not wanting to say they are using some form of birth control. Alyssa is the one I can’t see with a million kids because I think she truly hated her childhood. 

I took it as she currently not wanting more, but unsure if they will change their mind in a few years. Alyssa and John are still super young, so who knows if 5-10 years from now they change their minds.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

But that was after double digit numbers of kids, not 4. Allie is only coming of an age where she could help. Even Jana and Jill weren’t sister moms until they were 7-8.

I'm agreeing with you. I don't think Allie is a sistermom at all.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

She edited it after people commented. I saw it when she first put it up and it said dinning in all three places (it still does in the first sentence). It was also dinning in her stories, which she took down. And I can't imagine having 4 small children with white dining room furniture. I just went with a dark grey couch over a light grey one because I'm worried about stains, and I only have to worry about my husband. 

• Upvote 14

10 minutes ago, OHFL2009 said:

She edited it after people commented. I saw it when she first put it up and it said dinning in all three places (it still does in the first sentence). It was also dinning in her stories, which she took down. And I can't imagine having 4 small children with white dining room furniture. I just went with a dark grey couch over a light grey one because I'm worried about stains, and I only have to worry about my husband. 

100% this dining room (by the way I just tried and my autocorrect wont even let me add the 2nd n) is just for show and is never going to be used with the kids except maybe holidays. Right now seems like breakfasts at the kitchen counter and lunches and dinners on the patio/lanai, maybe now and then she and John will pose in there overdressed for some date nights.

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

It does not look like a comfy place to hang out and chat .

In my house whenever we have people over whether it's a meal or just a chat and coffee/tea we always end up sitting around the table. It just feels more engaging than sitting on couch. But I have a big table with lots of coffee rings on it (one summer it's going to be a project to refinish it) and some old chairs that have built in cushions/pads on the back and seat. Definitely doesn't look as pretty!

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 7

On 6/10/2021 at 11:32 PM, Jackie3 said:

All I've seen Allie do is give the baby a bottle, and reportedly help her sisters dress once. All pretty appropriate for a six-year old!

The only thing that worries me is that when she did an update on the kids bedrooms I think on IG and explained why she divided them up the way she did (oldest with youngest and two middles together) is that as Allie was the oldest she was more likely to be able to help with Maci which made me sad. Allie didn't seem that excited about it either. I was hoping she would say "because Allie needs more down time than the others" or "Allie will sleep better" or something like that.

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

I totally came here to say the same thing, but apparently she was finally told that “dinning” was wrong. And she has written it so many times. I really hope those girls eventually go to school, or a homeschool co-op. Wonder what Alyssa’s subjects would be: media studies, music, art? 

• Upvote 5

48 minutes ago, eljayem said:

It does not look like a comfy place to hang out and chat .

In my house whenever we have people over whether it's a meal or just a chat and coffee/tea we always end up sitting around the table. It just feels more engaging than sitting on couch. But I have a big table with lots of coffee rings on it (one summer it's going to be a project to refinish it) and some old chairs that have built in cushions/pads on the back and seat. Definitely doesn't look as pretty!

Completely agree. It's so sterile. I get that everyone has a different sense of style, but what she says and what she decorates for are two very different things.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

Does anyone play the game Design Home? In the game, you’re given money to buy furniture and decor and certain parameters to design a room. Her dining room looks exactly like something I would choose to design in the game, but not in real life. I couldn’t trust my adult son on a white chair.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, JDuggs said:

Does anyone play the game Design Home? In the game, you’re given money to buy furniture and decor and certain parameters to design a room. Her dining room looks exactly like something I would choose to design in the game, but not in real life. I couldn’t trust my adult son on a white chair.

I don't trust myself on a white chair.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 15
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, eljayem said:

The only thing that worries me is that when she did an update on the kids bedrooms I think on IG and explained why she divided them up the way she did (oldest with youngest and two middles together) is that as Allie was the oldest she was more likely to be able to help with Maci which made me sad. Allie didn't seem that excited about it either. I was hoping she would say "because Allie needs more down time than the others" or "Allie will sleep better" or something like that.

I think she means that 8 year old Allie can get 2 year old Maci out of bed, diaper changed and dressed, while Alyssa puts on her makeup and supervises the others.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

Where are all the high chairs for the kids? Did Alyssa forget she has a 6 year old, a 4 year old, a 3 year old and a 4 month old? 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

I know it's early on, but can I suggest a title thread?

Title Thread Suggestion: Thou Shalt Not Put Up the Ten Commandments as Art in the Dining Room

I get people have different taste in art, but that wouldn't work for me. I guess if it makes Alyssa and John happy, then I shouldn't complain. I doubt I would be eating with them. 

(This is based on the above Instagram post, where Alyssa hung two prints of the Ten Commandments on the dining room wall. It's in fancy script.) 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

42 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

Where are all the high chairs for the kids? Did Alyssa forget she has a 6 year old, a 4 year old, a 3 year old and a 4 month old? 

None of them needs a high chair. Zoey is too big, Maci is too young. Anyway, I think they eat in the kitchen and in the patio, and the dining room is only for holidays. I think it's a good idea if there is enough room, because there is a "protected area" always looking nice at home. I know some people don't need it, but for others (like me) it is satisfying.

• Upvote 8

9 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

Completely agree. It's so sterile. I get that everyone has a different sense of style, but what she says and what she decorates for are two very different things.

This.

Her decorating style is pretty much the exact opposite of my tastes, but to each their own. However, those big light blue mugs are lovely!

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Title Thread Suggestion: Thou Shalt Not Put Up the Ten Commandments as Art in the Dining Room

Dinning Room*

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 17

5 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

The first 3 are too old for high chairs, the last is too young, but maybe a booster for the 3 year old.

4 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I know it's early on, but can I suggest a title thread?

I get people have different taste in art, but that wouldn't work for me. I guess if it makes Alyssa and John happy, then I shouldn't complain. I doubt I would be eating with them. 

(This is based on the above Instagram post, where Alyssa hung two prints of the Ten Commandments on the dining room wall. It's in fancy script.) 

100% it must include Dinning Room.

2 of her current stories still have Dinning

Screenshot_20210612-075311_Instagram.jpg

• Upvote 3

Oh that floor is just painful. It’s so grey and busy and completely dated already. Why oh why is simple classic flooring so rare? 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

27 minutes ago, freethemall said:

The first 3 are too old for high chairs, the last is too young, but maybe a booster for the 3 year old. 

They can’t reach the floor. Their feet would just be dangling without any support. She should get those ones for the four kids (with a newborn set for the 4 month old): https://www.stokke.com/USA/en-us/highchairs/tripp-trapp/TT01.html#!/configurator

19 minutes ago, treehugger said:

Oh that floor is just painful. It’s so grey and busy and completely dated already. Why oh why is simple classic flooring so rare? 

I like that flooring ?. It is the kind I would consider if we redid our floors 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I think it's a good idea if there is enough room, because there is a "protected area" always looking nice at home. I know some people don't need it, but for others (like me) it is satisfying.

Yeah at my parents' house when growing up, we had a round table in the kitchen area. It was for everyday use, meals, doing homework, playing board games, etc. And we had a ''nicer'' dining room that was only for holidays or when my Mom would have guests over. Granted, my parents had the space. So like you said, it doesn't strike me as odd either. The decor isn't too my taste. Not a fan of glass table tops. To me, it looks so typically early 2000's! But that's more a question of taste than anything else.

• Upvote 9

17 minutes ago, Vivi_music said:

The decor isn't too my taste. Not a fan of glass table tops. To me, it looks so typically early 2000's! But that's more a question of taste than anything else.

Yeah, Alyssa's taste is very 2000. I think the bright white chairs, the glass surfaces and the dramatic wallpaper create a very cold atmosphere. I wouldn't buy white chairs in a milion years, and I bet she will regret it, but I think many of us made bad decorating decisions in our twenties.

• Upvote 7

6 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

None of them needs a high chair. Zoey is too big, Maci is too young. Anyway, I think they eat in the kitchen and in the patio, and the dining room is only for holidays. I think it's a good idea if there is enough room, because there is a "protected area" always looking nice at home. I know some people don't need it, but for others (like me) it is satisfying.

Lexi and Zoey need some kind of booster chair, or they will barely reach the table. Otherwise they'll have to crouch on those white seats with their shoes/socks/feet, getting them dirty. 

When I think of the mess small children can make. . . spilled drinks, thrown food (Maci), hands wiped on chair cushions, crumbs. . . I can't imagine the mess that even one meal would make in that room. She says they eat there for dinner. It must be such a frustrating experience for Alyssa. I really wonder if that room will be the site of many happy memories, as she predicts. I think the pool will be the room for that.

If they just use the room 2-3 times a year, that's fine. But I can't imagine having a room in a house that is just for show. It seems like a waste of space. Set up a giant playroom for the kids, or an extra closet for Alyssa, or a study for John. Just letting it sit empty seems unfathomable to me. My parents did that, as a kid, those rooms seemed so sad, empty and lonely.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 8

1 hour ago, treehugger said:

100% agree. I am sorry if anyone else has this floor. I just hate it so much. I first saw this laminate in Flip or Flop in some of their first seasons. Probably around 8 years ago. I hated it then and I hate it now. It’s way too busy. I think it’s getting very close to the end of its run. I don’t think it’s used much anymore on new builds and renovations. I just much prefer warmer wood flooring that is less busy. Flooring is such a huge part of a home. So I can be picky. It’s like phlegm green carpet. It would be ok if it was on a few pillows or blankets. But when something covers the floors of your whole first floor, it can easily become “too much.”

ETA: I think I just realized that if this floor was just in a bathroom, I wouldn’t hate it so much. I think it’s just too much for large spaces.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 5

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic