IGNORED

Alyssa & John 9: It’s All About Dressing Up and Looking Perfect on Instagram

nelliebelle1197

It's possible there was salad or other veggies that they didn't show. 

Agree that for one day, it's not bad if they ate poorly. But it would be strange to me to go to a cookout and not see a selection of dishes with vegetables among the chips and desserts. I guess it is cultural or regional if that is not part of everyone's typical cookout menu.

Alyssa must not eat much, for her to stay so slim on all the processed junk they seem to eat on a regular basis. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

42 minutes ago, Phyllis_Stein said:

It's possible there was salad or other veggies that they didn't show. 

Agree that for one day, it's not bad if they ate poorly. But it would be strange to me to go to a cookout and not see a selection of dishes with vegetables among the chips and desserts. I guess it is cultural or regional if that is not part of everyone's typical cookout menu.

Alyssa must not eat much, for her to stay so slim on all the processed junk they seem to eat on a regular basis. 

I think her current thinness is genetic and more importantly, age related.  AW is KJ’s clone, and KJ was as thin, if not thinner, when she was AW’s age. Without a change in her dietary habits, she’ll likely age accordingly. 

• Upvote 11
  • Bless Your Heart 1

I've said it before but I'll say it again. I think Alyssa eats this way because she considers it a status symbol. Branded, pre-packaged foods, the "fun" foods -- she didn't eat that as a child. She might have seen commercials or grocery store stands and wished she could have it -- now she can.  I think it's a misconception of people who grew up impoverished that these things show you've "made it."  vs. people who grow up middle class and consider Whole Foods shopping, salmon, fresh veggies, dragonfruit signs you've "made it." 

Also, what impetus does she have to eat healthier? She's skinny doing what she's doing now. Her children are healthy. John is healthy too. Their grocery budget is fine, they all like the food. We know the Bates have limited palates. I don't foresee a change. 

• Upvote 28
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, kmachete14 said:

I've said it before but I'll say it again. I think Alyssa eats this way because she considers it a status symbol. Branded, pre-packaged foods, the "fun" foods -- she didn't eat that as a child. She might have seen commercials or grocery store stands and wished she could have it -- now she can.  I think it's a misconception of people who grew up impoverished that these things show you've "made it."  vs. people who grow up middle class and consider Whole Foods shopping, salmon, fresh veggies, dragonfruit signs you've "made it." 

Also, what impetus does she have to eat healthier? She's skinny doing what she's doing now. Her children are healthy. John is healthy too. Their grocery budget is fine, they all like the food. We know the Bates have limited palates. I don't foresee a change. 

Well, one impetus is that she previously had health problems and I'm surprised if they didnt advise her to keep her sodium and cholesterol levels down, the food she eats is all very high in sodium. So thinness is one thing, but health is another especially when you've had some issues (because I get it if she was always 100% healthy). I do hope the girls at least get some multivitamins and the only other impetus will be if they go to the dentist and find out they all have lots of cavities from all the sugar they eat.

12 hours ago, SingingCat said:

Any thoughts on the Webster menu for their Memorial Day cookout? John cooked the meat ( chicken breasts, hot dogs, and burgers) and I guess Alyssa opened bags of chips. Oh, there was a bowl of watermelon, but not sure if a guest provided that and then “tons” of desserts according to A. 

I'm surprised there aren't more sides. Our cookout with 8 adults and 2 toddlers had burgers, hot dogs, 2 veggie patties for a vegetarian couple, potato salad, corn on the cob, kale cabbage slaw, various chips, salsa, deviled eggs, a veggie plate, watermelon, berries with whipped ricotta. My 4 year old had 1 hot dog bite but the whole bun, a whole corn, an egg (but only the white he never eats the yolk), some chips, and a shit ton of watermelon, with milk. I made most of that except the eggs and feel I can accuse Alyssa of being lazy because I'm 37 weeks pregnant with a toddler! But boy was I fucking pooped after. If I had 4 including a newborn I'd probably just have done corn and watermelon, it's weird for me there were no cooked/prepared sides. Since I'll have a baby by the 4th of July ill let you all know if we end up just having frozen pizza or else hot dogs and no sides, in which case I'll take it all back.

Edited by freethemall
  • Upvote 9
  • Haha 5
  • Love 2

Let's not forget good old fashioned dieting. You can stay thin while eating nothing but Twinkies. It's just about calories. Alyssa probably just limits her caloric intake while still eating crap.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

How would she have energy for running and chasing after 4 kids if all she ate was Twinkies? One pack of Twinkies and that's her entire calorie budget for the day. She'd have zero energy. I have had days where I have eating nothing but cookies, but it's just not worth it, not having meals, I get so hungry and tired all day. 

Throwing up the crap she eats would not be a good idea either, Kelly has GERD, maybe that's genetic, and GERD can exacerbate any esophagus damage. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

That sounds like a pretty ordinary cook out menu. Although in my neck of the woods, someone always seems to make potato salad. 

We went to a cookout for the first time in ages this last weekend and there were 5 more or less different types of Italian style pasta salads ?? Of course we had also prepared a Tortellini salad.

In my parents generations it would have been different kinds of potato salads though!

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, FrumpyAtheist said:

Let's not forget good old fashioned dieting. You can stay thin while eating nothing but Twinkies. It's just about calories. Alyssa probably just limits her caloric intake while still eating crap.

She workout at home and also runs outdoors. And she has 4 little kids. Even with her lazy parenting style, children are a good calorie-burning trick haha. 

I've always eaten way healthier than Alyssa, but for years I could add tons of desserts and carbs in my diet and I was naturally belly-flat as if I went to the gym. BUT I'm 40 something now and it's becoming more difficult!

• Upvote 5

13 hours ago, freethemall said:

Well, one impetus is that she previously had health problems and I'm surprised if they didnt advise her to keep her sodium and cholesterol levels down, the food she eats is all very high in sodium. So thinness is one thing, but health is another especially when you've had some issues (because I get it if she was always 100% healthy). I do hope the girls at least get some multivitamins and the only other impetus will be if they go to the dentist and find out they all have lots of cavities from all the sugar they eat.

I'm surprised there aren't more sides. Our cookout with 8 adults and 2 toddlers had burgers, hot dogs, 2 veggie patties for a vegetarian couple, potato salad, corn on the cob, kale cabbage slaw, various chips, salsa, deviled eggs, a veggie plate, watermelon, berries with whipped ricotta. My 4 year old had 1 hot dog bite but the whole bun, a whole corn, an egg (but only the white he never eats the yolk), some chips, and a shit ton of watermelon, with milk. I made most of that except the eggs and feel I can accuse Alyssa of being lazy because I'm 37 weeks pregnant with a toddler! But boy was I fucking pooped after. If I had 4 including a newborn I'd probably just have done corn and watermelon, it's weird for me there were no cooked/prepared sides. Since I'll have a baby by the 4th of July ill let you all know if we end up just having frozen pizza or else hot dogs and no sides, in which case I'll take it all back.

*yellow pocket Angel eggs there fixed that for you lol 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 13

As we all know, weight is a poor indicator of health. Looking at Alyssa, most would assume she’s healthy just because she’s thin. But she’s had heart surgery and eats crappy food with little nutrition. One day she may have to change her eating habits. But she’s young enough to get by right now. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

Wait, do y'all Americans not have a grill basket for your BBQ and grill up a whole bunch of veggies? It's so delicious! Try it if you haven't.

I don't usually bother with a salad when we BBQ; I just toss cherry tomatoes, pepper strips, cremini mushrooms, asparagus etc. in a bit of oil, salt and pepper, and grill them all together.

• Upvote 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

Wait, do y'all Americans not have a grill basket for your BBQ and grill up a whole bunch of veggies? It's so delicious! Try it if you haven't.

I don't usually bother with a salad when we BBQ; I just toss cherry tomatoes, pepper strips, cremini mushrooms, asparagus etc. in a bit of oil, salt and pepper, and grill them all together.

Yes we do, and I agree that grilled vegetables are delicious!

This is standard fare in my world. I think it comes down to cultural, regional, and class differences throughout the US. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I actually eat way more veggies in the summer between grilling them and summer salads. In the winter , I sometimes struggle to come up with creative ways for veggies, but in the summer? We eat tons of fruit and veggies. 

• Upvote 10

32 minutes ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

Yes, some of us have grill baskets (or do veggie kabobs). Mr possum and I used to always do veggie kabobs while grilling, but have switched to just throwing it all in a grill basket. I also know folks who cook over firepits that put veggies in tin foil packets with olive oil.

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

You just gave me a Father's Day gift idea, thank you! 

But yes Americans do grill veggies. However for bbqs stuff like potato salad, pasta salad, and cole slaw are seen as staples.

For both Americans and non, here are some fun stats on barbecue traditions in the US:

https://www.statista.com/forecasts/740861/preferred-foods-for-barbecues-among-consumers-in-the-united-states

https://blog.treetopia.com/b/popular-bbq-food/#:~:text=According to our research%2C the,are typically highly carnivorous affairs.

Also this is making me hungry. I'm grilling foil packets tonight with shrimp, sausage, potatoes, corn, and zuchini.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

I actually eat way more veggies in the summer between grilling them and summer salads. In the winter , I sometimes struggle to come up with creative ways for veggies, but in the summer? We eat tons of fruit and veggies. 

My unsolicited advice: roast them in the oven! Almost as good as grilled.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

16 hours ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

Wait, do y'all Americans not have a grill basket for your BBQ and grill up a whole bunch of veggies? It's so delicious!

We do this every time we cook out.  When we invite guests who don't eat meat, we make sure to grill extra veggies.  I feel like a bad host if I serve food a guest can't eat.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

I do it often. Eggplants, potatoes, artichokes, bell peppers and so many other options... 30 minutes in the oven and delicious! And while it takes a bit more work than opening a frozen package, it can be prepared in a few minutes.

• Upvote 3
  • Eyeroll 1

Alyssa answered on Instagram that she is closest to Katie and Carlin, which doesn't really surprise me. I think of the 3 of them as fairly similar, she answered that they don't think they will have more kids and I actually believe hee (though she could get bored and change her mind, my grandmother did that, had 4 in 5 years and then when they were all in school popped out another four in 5 years). 

On 6/7/2021 at 9:38 PM, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

Oh I do, but it's like that in the winter I make mains that don't lend themselves as well to sides as grilled meat does. I make a lot of stews or pasta dishes or casseroles in the winter.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

Alyssa answered on Instagram that she is closest to Katie and Carlin, which doesn't really surprise me. I think of the 3 of them as fairly similar, she answered that they don't think they will have more kids and I actually believe hee (though she could get bored and change her mind, my grandmother did that, had 4 in 5 years and then when they were all in school popped out another four in 5 years). 

Her answer to the question about babies was "who knows?" with a shrug. It sounded like a "we'll see" answer and nothing about active prevention. I won't be surprised if she's pregnant again within the next 2 years, she's trained Allie to be a sister mom. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, freethemall said:

she's trained Allie to be a sister mom. 

All I've seen Allie do is give the baby a bottle, and reportedly help her sisters dress once. All pretty appropriate for a six-year old!

The sister-moms used to change diapers, put babies down for naps, feed toddlers out of cans, potty train, entertain littles for hours, watch over them at playgrounds while the mother talked, etc.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 2

I took her little shrug along with the no in the text as her not wanting to say they are using some form of birth control. Alyssa is the one I can’t see with a million kids because I think she truly hated her childhood. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

All I've seen Allie do is give the baby a bottle, and reportedly help her sisters dress once. All pretty appropriate for a six-year old!

The sister-moms used to change diapers, put babies down for naps, feed toddlers out of cans, potty train, entertain littles for hours, watch over them at playgrounds while the mother talked, etc.

But that was after double digit numbers of kids, not 4. Allie is only coming of an age where she could help. Even Jana and Jill weren’t sister moms until they were 7-8.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

But that was after double digit numbers of kids, not 4. Allie is only coming of an age where she could help. Even Jana and Jill weren’t sister moms until they were 7-8.

But to Alyssa and her personality, 4 may seem like double digits if she isn't cut out for it.

I personally think they will end up with 1-2 more (and I don't think it will be 'to try for a son'), but I kind of also wouldn't be totally shocked if there are no more. We all agree she looks uninterested in the four they already have. We know that they already do at least some things differently than her parents. If "they are called" to only have four, it wouldn't surprise me.

Watch me say this and then have her announce sextuplets ASAP ?

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic