IGNORED

Alyssa & John 9: It’s All About Dressing Up and Looking Perfect on Instagram

nelliebelle1197

@nausicaa and I told ya she was a #superficialtwit.

What the hell, Alyssa? Blueberry muffin MIX? Yeah, I am judging that one because it takes about 2 minutes more NOT to use a mix and you do nothing but stick your kids in front of videos and take photos of matching dresses.

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 5
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

What the hell, Alyssa? Blueberry muffin MIX? Yeah, I am judging that one because it takes about 2 minutes more NOT to use a mix and you do nothing but stick your kids in front of videos and take photos of matching dresses.

Did the Bates kids grow up baking from scratch? I only ask because when I first moved out on my own, I genuinely thought that baking from scratch was super hard, and assumed that the pre made mixes saved loads of time. I didn’t grow up seeing anyone bake anything from scratch ever, and thought that was only something really experienced bakers did. I’ve since learned though!! I just wonder if Alyssa has the same thought?

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 3

“Baking from scratch” is actually pretty rare for most families. I imagine most families big or small have some convenience foods. I also think there is a wide range between “baking from scratch” and “eating McDonald’s every night.” I think the Bateses likely ate somewhat similarly to the Duggars. Which is a lot of processed casserole meals that were cheap and easy to make in large quantities.  

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 17
  • Love 2

[mention=17566]nausicaa[/mention] and I told ya she was a #superficialtwit.

This seems a little BEC to me. A lot worse things to judge her on than using blueberry muffin mix [emoji849]
  • Upvote 19
  • I Agree 14

33 minutes ago, Kaylo said:

This seems a little BEC to me. A lot worse things to judge her on than using blueberry muffin mix emoji849.png

Let me just roll my eyes right back at you.  And note if you would actually like to have a dialogue then throwing in eye roll emojis is exactly opposite way to do it.

This woman is staying at home and is from a patriarchical cultural that fetishizes homemakers. She spends hours decorating her house, her kids and herself. She plops her kids in front of a computer and calls it school. I will judge her for feeding her kids from a box just like she is judged for spending her days taking the perfect selfie and posting it to Instagram. It is all part and parcel of the same hypocrisy that fundies wallow in. She has the time to throw six ingredients into a bowl with fresh blueberries and give her kids something other than chemical -laden prepackaged food. It is the opposite side of the Zsu coin, where she does nothing but bake and load her kids up on sugar while teaching them hate.  It is the hypocrisy and the fact she prioritizes the way schoolroom looks over school and the way the cabinet is organized over the what is in the cabinet that I am pointing out. 

52 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

“Baking from scratch” is actually pretty rare for most families. I imagine most families big or small have some convenience foods. I also think there is a wide range between “baking from scratch” and “eating McDonald’s every night.” I think the Bateses likely ate somewhat similarly to the Duggars. Which is a lot of processed casserole meals that were cheap and easy to make in large quantities.  

The Duggars had more money than the Bates so I think it was actually worse for them.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

No need to be so hostile, @nelliebelle1197

I also think it's pathetic that Alyssa uses box mixes for something as simple as muffins, but I very much agree with previous posters that it's pretty normal for middle class American families not to bake from scratch and to assume baking from scratch is harder than it is. My mother hardly ever baked and when she did she only used box mixes and made it seem like it was some giant, ridiculously hard task. As an adult I learned to bake and was shocked at 1) how easy it is compared to how my mother portrayed it, and 2) how much better the taste is of most homemade goods compared to box mix. I will never ever go back.

In short it's not just Alyssa, but I agree it's a real shame and ironic given that fundie women are homemakers. I give credit to women like Erin who grew up that way but have educated themselves and gone on to become accomplished home cooks and bakers.

• Upvote 16

17 minutes ago, FrumpyAtheist said:

No need to be so hostile, @nelliebelle1197

I also think it's pathetic that Alyssa uses box mixes for something as simple as muffins, but I very much agree with previous posters that it's pretty normal for middle class American families not to bake from scratch and to assume baking from scratch is harder than it is. My mother hardly ever baked and when she did she only used box mixes and made it seem like it was some giant, ridiculously hard task. As an adult I learned to bake and was shocked at 1) how easy it is compared to how my mother portrayed it, and 2) how much better the taste is of most homemade goods compared to box mix. I will never ever go back.

In short it's not just Alyssa, but I agree it's a real shame and ironic given that fundie women are homemakers. I give credit to women like Erin who grew up that way but have educated themselves and gone on to become accomplished home cooks and bakers.

I was not being hostile. I just think there are better ways to have a conversation about a subject than plopping in eyerolls. It is not exactly productive.

Was it Erin or Alyssa who was so excited to learn about fresh broccoli? 

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Was it Erin or Alyssa who was so excited to learn about fresh broccoli?

It was Erin. She has mentioned a few times how she learned to cook after getting married.

• Upvote 12
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, G33kywife said:

Did the Bates kids grow up baking from scratch?

Absolutely not! They ate the cheapest processed food in small quantities. Kelly didn't know how to cook at all and they hadn't a kitchen garden despite Gil having been taised in a farm. Alyssa was just 10 years old when she became the main cook of the family, making miserable recipes. The kind of food they ate made me sad when I watched the videos.

• Upvote 14
  • Sad 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, RosyDaisy said:

It was Erin. She has mentioned a few times how she learned to cook after getting married.

That stuff makes me so mad. I really think that it is in little details like that that show what lazy ego driven grifters Gill and Kelly really are. They  are really just as bad or worse than Jrod. It is just that the Bates are prettier.

Riffles
  • Upvote 12
  • Love 1

If I remember correctly Alyssa is almost always shown giving her children processed, packaged food, even for dinner. I don’t think Alyssa is interested in putting effort into anything that isn’t herself. Yes she could easily learn to cook simple meals, but that would take time away from her hair, makeup and posing for pictures. 

• Upvote 14
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Superficial twit, yes to this!

She has a pretty easy life.

She doesn’t have to get the kids up, dressed, fed and out the door by 7:00 to take them to school or catch the bus. She doesn’t have to rush to get to work on time. She doesn’t have to pick them up from school and rush home to start dinner. Then try to get the laundry done, dinner on the table, kitchen cleaned up, supervise homework, get the kids bathed and in bed. *

She obviously knows how to use a computer/phone. I see no excuse for her not serving her family healthy meals. A 1 second google search will give you ingredients, measurements, level of difficulty, and cook time. It’s called a recipe, Alyssa.

THIS IS HER ONLY JOB. And she doesn't have to leave the house to do any of it.

*Working mothers everywhere, I salute you. And not just working mothers; all mothers who manage to raise decent kids and actually do something more with their life than perform for Instagram.

• Upvote 15
  • Love 2

So because she is a stay at home mom she must always bake from scratch and never use a mix? What if she doesn’t like to cook? Because she is a stay at home mom her preferences don’t matter and everything must be from scratch? That’s ridiculous.

I’m sorry, but would everyone be appalled at her use of muffin mix if she was an atheist stay at home mom?

I’m all for criticizing her ridiculous beliefs, but the use of muffin mix is not one of them. And a 99 cent box of blueberry muffin mix is indeed cheaper and easier than scratch.

• Upvote 24
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 10

I notice she has a hello fresh or maybe home fresh code . Hopefully this is introducing them all to some new fresh, and healthier food

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Kaylo said:

So because she is a stay at home mom she must always bake from scratch and never use a mix? What if she doesn’t like to cook? Because she is a stay at home mom her preferences don’t matter and everything must be from scratch? That’s ridiculous.

I’m sorry, but would everyone be appalled at her use of muffin mix if she was an atheist stay at home mom?

I’m all for criticizing her ridiculous beliefs, but the use of muffin mix is not one of them. And a 99 cent box of blueberry muffin mix is indeed cheaper and easier than scratch.

For real. And unless she is just someone who naturally loves to spend her time cooking / baking - I’d bet it’s extremely low on her list of priorities given she was made to be a mess hall cook from the age of 10. I like to cook, but if I’d been trying to be in charge of meals for 20 people every damn day from before puberty —- I wouldn’t even do mix muffins. It’s be all DoorDash all the time. 

• Upvote 13
  • Love 4

“She has a pretty easy life.
She doesn’t have to get the kids up, dressed, fed and out the door by 7:00 to take them to school or catch the bus. She doesn’t have to rush to get to work on time. She doesn’t have to pick them up from school and rush home to start dinner. Then try to get the laundry done, dinner on the table, kitchen cleaned up, supervise homework, get the kids bathed and in bed. *
She obviously knows how to use a computer/phone. I see no excuse for her not serving her family healthy meals. A 1 second google search will give you ingredients, measurements, level of difficulty, and cook time. It’s called a recipe, Alyssa.
THIS IS HER ONLY JOB. And she doesn't have to leave the house to do any of it.”

Would you say this to a stay at home mom who wasn’t a fundamentalist Christian? This is exactly the kind of thinking that all stay at home moms have battled for generations. This is exactly what we are NOT supposed to be saying about stay at home moms. I work as a teacher and have two kids. MY DAYS ARE LONGER AND HARDER IN THE SUMMER WHEN IM NOT WORKING.

Alyssa, use all the damn muffin mix you want! It’d be awesome if you taught your daughters to be strong independent women though, and that I will criticize you for.

• Upvote 16
  • Confused 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 4

I think, in general, a SAHM with four kids and a large house, who is also homeschooling them, has a very busy and challenging job. Even with all the shortcuts she takes, some of which I find highly problematic, just keeping up with laundry/house/infants etc. is a lot of work. 

I would not fault anyone for taking shortcuts in cooking and meal prep, but I would find fault with a diet of processed junk food. She appears to feed them junk most of the time. It doesn't take much effort to serve fresh fruit and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables can be purchased all prepped and ready for eating or quick cooking. There are so many options for prepped or fully prepared healthy foods, there really is no reason to serve highly processed, chemical-laden foods as the mainstay of the diet.  The muffin mix, in isolation is not worthy of snark; however, if viewed as emblematic of the type of food the family eats on the regular, then it takes on a different color.

Also, the fact that she appears to put little to no effort in actually homeschooling the kids, adds more time to her schedule than a parent who is sincerely trying to educate the children. 

• Upvote 22
  • Love 3

Does FL require homeschoolers to be tested periodically or does Taliban Dan has some say about that?

• Upvote 1

I think Alyssa is stuck in a role she doesn’t want. She and her kids would likely be happier and healthier in public school and summer camp programs. She cuts corners everywhere so she has time to do what she wants. Her parents gave her very few options. 

• Upvote 25
  • Love 1

My mom was not a baker when I was growing up. The only things she ever baked were brownies, and those came from a box of Ghirardelli mix. I taught myself to bake as a kid (though she showed me how to use teaspoons and measuring cups. I took it from there, with the help of cookbooks.) There was one memorable incident where I tried to make blondies in a muffin tin with olive oil instead of canola or butter... baking can have quite a learning curve!

When I grew up, I became a professional baker for a few years and almost enrolled in pastry school, until I had a back injury. But despite everything I've learned about baking in the past 20-odd years, I've still never made brownies from scratch- I always use the Ghirardelli mix. Nothing else tastes as good.

Anyways, perhaps Alyssa uses baking mixes for the same reason? 

Edited by indianabones
  • Upvote 10
  • Love 3

Alyssa as far as I know still has a heart condition. She had two heart conditions. One heart condition was the more severe and that one was resolved, but I thought she has a second one that is on-going. 

Anyway she has four kids including a 3 month old baby and she just moved. 

I use baking mixes all the time lately. It's something to do since the pandemic started.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Kaylo said:

She's not an atheist stay-at-home mom, though. She's a member of a cult that claims that her way is better than everyone else's way, because she's at home to give her kids fresh vegetables, lots of one-on-one times, homeschooling, baking from scratch, etc. She doesn't actually do any of the things that they supposedly value about womanhood. She is vain, she barely homeschools, they don't value education, they don't value healthy eating. They literally don't do anything.  Fundies tell me that I am "wrong" and "going to hell" because I don't have children, am not interested in having kids, and enjoyed playing sports and going to school. Yet I can still figure out how to make bread or muffins without buying a damn mix. I don't, because I don't eat those things. But if I wanted to, or needed to have muffins for work events, I can do so. And I get tons of compliments. Because I know how to read and follow directions. Baking is not difficult. 

• Upvote 11
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Mom to Nell said:

Superficial twit, yes to this!

She has a pretty easy life.

THIS IS HER ONLY JOB. And she doesn't have to leave the house to do any of it.

*Working mothers everywhere, I salute you. And not just working mothers; all mothers who manage to raise decent kids and actually do something more with their life than perform for Instagram.

I think she would enjoy the stress of the busy mornings, taking the kids to school and going ro work. Alyssa looks very lazy, but she has been a hard worker in the past. She used to work cleaning in the evenings, after a full day as a SAHM. I think she loved cleaning because she was out of home and enjoyed the quiet of the offices at that hour.

She is lazy homeschooling, cooking and even parenting. But she is not a lazy worker. People like her shouldn't be SAHMs. They are not happy and their children will learn more and have more fun at school.

Edited by Melissa1977
Spelling
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 6

2 hours ago, Kaylo said:

You need to stop focusing on muffin mix and comprehend the points being made. It has nothing to do with muffin mix. The mix is a symbol.  It has to do with the prioritizing photographing her fancy organized cabinets over stocking those cabinets with things that are good for her kids. It has been noted on here many times she is usually seen giving her kids junk food and processed food that takes no effort. She fancies up a giant schoolroom and sticks her kids in front of a computer screen rather than legit homeschooling - which any dedicated homeschooler will tell you isn’t homeschooling. The life she presents constantly by choice on Instagram is shallow and hypocritical. Chill out about mix and think about what it symbolizes.

And I am really confused by your “atheist stay at home mom” thing. What does that have to do with anything here? This is a snark board that snarks on fundies, typically fundies who fetishize SAHM, gender roles and patriarchy. Typically we point out the hypocrisy- and Alyssa is a perfect example of a lot of surface and zero substance. Where are you going with this?

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

• nelliebelle1197 changed the title to Alyssa & John 9: It’s All About Dressing Up and Looking Perfect on Instagram
  • nelliebelle1197 locked this topic