IGNORED

Voddie Baucham takes a turn driving the Wambulance of Christian Persecution

hoipolloi

Never been a fan of Voddie. But I do believe his children are getting a decent education.

2 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

Never been a fan of Voddie. But I do believe his children are getting a decent education.

Well, yes, from a technical point of view.  Voddie is an extremely well educated man with a Doctor of Ministry degree, who also did post grad at Oxford.  I'm sure they are all proficient readers and spellers and are getting a solid education in the basics.  

What they are actually being taught about how to view the world is another thing all together.  Don't know what the older Beaucham kids are  up to and (especially for the males) how they are making their way in the world. Also, is there any emphasis on getting a minimum of a college degree for those kids, even if it's online? 

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2024 at 2:57 PM, Howl said:

Also, is there any emphasis on getting a minimum of a college degree for those kids, even if it's online?

I've always found it kind of hard to nail down just what Voddie thinks about college (especially for women.) If you took him at his face value on Return of the Daughters you'd probably be justified thinking that he is completely opposed to young women going to university. In one of his talks that VF used to sell he talks about a family he knows who spent a ton of money on prep school and an ivy league education for their daughter's bachelors in sociology and is aghast that they spent that much money turning her into "a man who is biologically capable of having children." He never explains that phrase further, but I've assumed that's because she'll have to work all her life to justify her parents spending that much money on her education. (Jasmine used the same phrase, quoting him in "Joyfully at Home.")

However... he and Jasmine often served as spokespersons for CollegePlus. In one of the essays she wrote for CollegePlus Jasmine said:

I chose CollegePlus because, two years after graduating, I started laying out long-term plans that would be greatly aided by my modest English degree. I want to teach English lit, and my degree opened doors for that. I also want to look into getting my teaching certification to open more doors and broaden my horizons.

She's also mentioned her father encouraging college in some of her more recent writing.

Whenever he preached at colleges  — from Dartmouth to Cedarville  — he would take me along and we’d talk about what I might want to do someday. As the back of my book declared, I used to want to go to NYU and study journalism or screenwriting. I wanted to experience all of the excitement and independence that life had to offer me.

After I decided to stay home, it was my dad who pushed me to get an online degree: “You’ll wish you had it someday, even if it’s just to do some post-graduate work.”

This part always gives me whiplash when contrasted with RotD and Joyfully at Home. Why would she need post-graduate work? How is that not also turning her into "a man who is biologically capable of having children," because wouldn't she have to work to justify the time and money spent on a post-graduate degree? Women aren't supposed to support the household financially, they're supposed to stay home and homeschool the kids. Jasmine talked about having nine kids and homeschooling them in her VF days. Where is she going to be teaching English lit? In the end it gets rather vague regarding womens' education.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

6 hours ago, Columbia said:

Why would she need post-graduate work? How is that not also turning her into "a man who is biologically capable of having children," because wouldn't she have to work to justify the time and money spent on a post-graduate degree?

Voddie, like the vast majority of fundies, believes in two principles:

(1) Do as I say, not as I do.

(2) If you fail at doing what I tell you do, then you did it wrong.

Just like Voddie will never apologize for the harm he caused by pushing VFI & VFM or telling parents to beat their children many times a day, he will never, ever acknowledge telling his leghumpers to do one thing while he feels free to do another.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

Jasmine is super interesting. AFAIK, she says little about her family and instead focuses on her interests and education/career. I have seen her mention that her upbringing was very "white." Clearly she has opinions about that, given her current intellectual trajectory, but she is more understated in her approach. Whatever Daddy preached, she clearly stands on her own feet.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

On 1/26/2024 at 5:53 PM, hoipolloi said:

Voddie, like the vast majority of fundies, believes in two principles:

(1) Do as I say, not as I do.

(2) If you fail at doing what I tell you do, then you did it wrong.

Just like Voddie will never apologize for the harm he caused by pushing VFI & VFM or telling parents to beat their children many times a day, he will never, ever acknowledge telling his leghumpers to do one thing while he feels free to do another.

I've long imagined the now grown girl whose family jumped into VF and SAHD-hood with both feet when she was 12 and who only ever heard "girls don't go to college" from Doug and Voddie while watching Return of the Daughters at some VF father-daughter retreat. What would she say if she knew Voddie was telling his daughter at the same time that she might want to do post-graduate work some day? The lack of honesty and acknowledgement that people were hurt gets me every time.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 7

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2024 at 7:48 PM, noseybutt said:

Jasmine is super interesting. AFAIK, she says little about her family and instead focuses on her interests and education/career. I have seen her mention that her upbringing was very "white." Clearly she has opinions about that, given her current intellectual trajectory, but she is more understated in her approach. Whatever Daddy preached, she clearly stands on her own feet.

Because of Jasmine, I now know this exists: 

Born in Slavery: Slave Narratives from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936 to 1938  contains more than 2,300 first-person accounts of slavery and 500 black-and-white photographs of former slaves.  These narratives were collected in the 1930s as part of the Federal Writers' Project (FWP) of the Works Progress Administration, later renamed Work Projects Administration (WPA).  At the conclusion of the Slave Narrative project, a set of edited transcripts was assembled and microfilmed in 1941 as the seventeen-volume Slave Narratives: A Folk History of Slavery in the United States from Interviews with Former Slaves. In 2000-2001, with major support from the Citigroup Foundation, the Library digitized the narratives from the microfilm edition and scanned from the originals 500 photographs, including more than 200 that had never been microfilmed or made publicly available.  This online collection is a joint presentation of the Manuscript and Prints and Photographs divisions of the Library of Congress.

• Thank You 8

4 hours ago, Howl said:

Born in Slavery: Slave Narratives from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936 to 1938  contains more than 2,300 first-person accounts of slavery and 500 black-and-white photographs of former slaves.

They have been digitized and are available for free downloading from Project Gutenberg.

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...

Always the whining victim of Christian persecution, Voddie has a new book coming out:

It's Not Like Being Black: How Sexual Activists Hijacked the Civil Rights Movement...sexual identity and gender ideology advocates have hijacked the civil rights movement, co-opting its success for their own insidious purposes. They have sold the lie that sexual identities are equivalent to race and that the fight for the rights of “sexual minorities” is the final frontier in the struggle for civil rights.

Wonder how much of this book is plagiarized?

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 1
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

Always the whining victim of Christian persecution,

"Insidious purposes", SRSLY Voddie?   Whining while knowing that the movement for sexual identity rights has been co-opted as the latest and scariest! issue by the reich wing outrage machine, which will of course help sell his book, because it's "timely". 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

16 hours ago, Howl said:

"Insidious purposes", SRSLY Voddie?   Whining while knowing that the movement for sexual identity rights has been co-opted as the latest and scariest! issue by the reich wing outrage machine, which will of course help sell his book, because it's "timely". 

When I was in grad school in the 90's, the topic of whether LGTBQ rights should be elevated to civil/legal rights was debated. But, context. After Matthew Shepherd's death, the intellectual arguments were careful to state the importance of safety. Even the most anti-civil rights people didn't want anyone dying.

We are in a very different political environment and books like Voddie Baucham's make me sad. It's one dog whistle after another. He will say that he is not inciting violence but we are living in a tinderbox and books like this are meant to incite and enrage. Not what the world needs right now.

Edited by noseybutt
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5