IGNORED

Voddie Baucham takes a turn driving the Wambulance of Christian Persecution

hoipolloi

Turns out there was a lot more than a drug charge going on for JD Hall. The man who talks like he hates women acted like a man who talks like he hates women. 

BF7926F3-F222-43CC-B358-F244BCE09DEC.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Angry 4
  • Disgust 4

Choking/strangulation is a huge red flag for intimate partner homicide. 

Why strangulation in domestic violence is a huge red flag

"When conducting assessments or forensic exams with a victim of domestic violence (DV), any reported history of strangulation places the person at a higher risk for more serious violence or homicide by the hands of their intimate partner. By recognizing signs of strangulation, healthcare providers can help to mitigate long-term damage, properly document any evidence of abuse, and provide referrals for seeking safety assistance."

A knife was also used.  This is bad. 

• Upvote 8
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 6

My ex pinned me on the ground and used his forearm against my neck as a way to strangle. I’m sure it didn’t actually take that much effort. But I did knee him in the balls to get him off me. But I honestly think he didn’t have to put much strength into it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 6
  • Love 13

I want to add something about hand strength. I have huge hands for a woman. I would guess I’m in the top 5% of hand size for women. My hands are similar in size to my husband’s. Yet I always need him to open jars. I just had him open one yesterday after I worked on it awhile. I don’t know if men just have naturally stronger hands or what. Maybe it’s genetic. My husband doesn’t work out and I am bigger than him. Yet his grip strength is better than mine. So I would imagine a man strangling a woman isn’t that hard. 

• Upvote 6

After my divorce during the period where I hadn’t given up men yet (lol) I was stalked and assaulted and choked.  I thought I was going to die and to this day I’m surprised I didn’t.  I did all the things you do, and eventually packed my shit up and moved 650 miles away because I just couldn’t really get over the panic.

The neck is remarkably fragile.  And choking/strangling someone one time often leads to a death in a domestic violence incident in the future.  It’s why I moved.  I didn’t want to die and I couldn’t get in a situation where I felt safe.  

so anyhow this is scary to read.  And sadly not super surprising. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 5
  • Love 15

I keep wondering what kind of hell that church is putting his wife through. JD has zero honorable character, so this probably doesn’t come as a surprise to church leadership. They must have known. And now what horrible song are they singing her about how she didn’t submit hard enough and he’s really sorry, and go back to your headship because your children need their father? I hope she has some sort of community outside of that church that can and will protect her. 

• Sad 6

And it seems that Hall may be a thief, too.  (Copied images under spoilers for anyone who doesn't use Twitter)

Spoiler

image.png.79de821b1e927339b1f04631f512ea9c.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.3792be432a8da717f8fcfdc607dcbc3f.png

Edited by forgetmenow
  • WTF 2
  • Thank You 7

What a vile piece of work JD Hall is. 

I hope that his wife and family are being supported & can get far away from him.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

There are some people who just don’t have a conscience. So they don’t feel guilty when breaking laws and social norms. It doesn’t bother them much when they harm others. These are the people who will commit multiple types of crimes. I don’t know if that’s what’s going on with this guy. But he seems really dangerous to me. And he is sentenced accordingly.

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I don’t know if that’s what’s going on with this guy. But he seems really dangerous to me

And not only him, but everyone else in his church and circles who knew and did nothing besides make excuses. This could have been stopped a long time ago if one of them had said “this man doesn’t show any character” instead of “this man owns the libs!!1!1” His enablers aren’t going to learn a damn thing. They’re just going to double down and make that church even more toxic. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

I was raised Reformed Baptist and of course grew up being taught the elements of TULIP.  I wonder if some of these guys, like Voddie, lean so hard in the direction of "Total Depravity" (as opposed to "imago dei") because they associate with and defend some truly depraved men.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, forgetmenow said:

I wonder if some of these guys, like Voddie, lean so hard in the direction of "Total Depravity" (as opposed to "imago dei") because they associate with and defend some truly depraved men.

I’ve always wondered why so many of these extreme Calvinist types emphasize Total Depravity so strongly, but don’t actually seem to believe it. I think you may have just answered my question. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

• 3 months later...

So ... ahhhh....... ummmmm ... ahhhhhhh ....... would that young lady be a substitute daughter for Voddie (Patriarch Beard) Baucham)?

I'll see myself to the prayer closet

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

So ... ahhhh....... ummmmm ... ahhhhhhh ....... would that young lady be a substitute daughter for Voddie (Patriarch Beard) Baucham)?

I'll see myself to the prayer closet

They adopted another daughter, Safya, about 12 years ago. I’m sure she’s the current “younger woman” from whom he can get attention. I hope that he has actually listened to Jasmine’s concerns about SAHD-hood, and doesn’t try to force that upon her. I’m also glad that she has Jasmine and her family as an option, if she needed somewhere safe. 

• Upvote 4

Voddie seems to still be living primarily in Lusaka, Zambia. Interesting that he's weighing in on US politics. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

40 minutes ago, Howl said:

Voddie seems to still be living primarily in Lusaka, Zambia. Interesting that he's weighing in on US politics. 

Right? It almost seems like he might be benefitting from the globalism he’s railing against. 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Columbia said:

I hope that he has actually listened to Jasmine’s concerns about SAHD-hood, and doesn’t try to force that upon her.

The best case might be that Voddie, like so many of his bffs, practices "Do as I say not as I do" and encourages that daughter to pursue her own, best life.

Hypocrisy is a cornerstone of Christian fundamentalism. 

• Upvote 10

Voddie's still a favorite with conservative Christians. He's in Zambia, but Allie Beth Stuckey and others keep platforming him, frankly, b/c he's an outspoken Black Christian who says all the things they want: CRT is bad, Christian Nationalism is good, etc. Without that, I think he'd still be primarily known as a fundie homeschool conference speaker. You can tell a Voddie fan b/c they always use his term "ethnic gnosticism" to basically say white Christians can't be racist, duh. It's transparently awful. Zero surprise he's advocating Christian Nationalism as he's been co-panelists with Doug Wilson in the past. 

Convenient how they all overlook his horrible parenting teaching as though it's a nonissue.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

It is a non issue with them. Because they truly believe his way is the only way one should parent.  Crush you child's spirit into total immediate obedience. Crush any ideas or dreams your daughters might have.

Men/ Fathers/ the Patriarchy are all powerful and all knowing and rule over everything, over everyone, on every issue, all the time. Their mantra, if they ever said it out loud without the pseudo-Biblical language, is "Shut up and do what you're told." 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

On 11/7/2022 at 10:59 PM, neuroticcat said:

Voddie's still a favorite with conservative Christians. He's in Zambia, but Allie Beth Stuckey and others keep platforming him, frankly, b/c he's an outspoken Black Christian who says all the things they want: CRT is bad, Christian Nationalism is good, etc. Without that, I think he'd still be primarily known as a fundie homeschool conference speaker. You can tell a Voddie fan b/c they always use his term "ethnic gnosticism" to basically say white Christians can't be racist, duh. It's transparently awful. Zero surprise he's advocating Christian Nationalism as he's been co-panelists with Doug Wilson in the past. 

Convenient how they all overlook his horrible parenting teaching as though it's a nonissue.

I'd love to know how he ended up with Jasmine as a daughter. One of the only fundie adjacent accounts I follow with my real handle. Love her style of teaching and putting herself out there - she is not at all what I expected based on her background. (Her jokes about her first book had me rolling). 

• I Agree 1

9 hours ago, lexiloumarie said:

I'd love to know how he ended up with Jasmine as a daughter.... - she is not at all what I expected based on her background...

She has evolved. She has also repudiated much of what she once promoted.

Based on offhand remarks that she makes now & again on her public IG, it seems as if Voddie was not as strict or dogmatic with her before her marriage as things like his books or ROTD might suggest. This may be a variant on the "Do as I say, not as I do" theme thatʻs so prevalent with fundie Xtians. It may also reflect her personal growth since marriage.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

This move to Christian Nationalism doesn't surprise me.  There's a powerful movement afoot, 7 Mountains Dominionism and allies, that has massive amounts of cash on hand and is making powerful political inroads in this country -- we should all be scared shitless that people like Voddie will become our new theocratic overlords. 

Fortunately, in this election cycle, people like Doug Mastriano and many others, weren't elected but they certainly have not and will not, stop trying.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6

34 minutes ago, Howl said:

people like Voddie will become our new theocratic overlords. 

And Doug Wilson. Will also post on the Doug "I love pedophiles" Wilson thread but that link is to Julie Ingersollʻs Twitter thread on Wilsonʻs new manifesto movie, coming out later this month. Her book on Christian reconstruction is excellent and a classic.

Also, hereʻs a good post-election commentary from Kathryn Joyce, who has also published excellent books on aspects of white Christian nationalism.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 5