IGNORED

Voddie Baucham takes a turn driving the Wambulance of Christian Persecution

hoipolloi

Voddie Baucham, Jr., erstwhile BFF of Doug Phillips & enthusiastic patriarse, is on the publicity trail for his new book

He has previously taken the white Christian nationalist position with regard to racism and social justice, as in his dreadful commentary on Michael Brown's death in 2014, in which Baucham blames Brown for his own death. Now, he's devoted a whole book to his views and, as you might imagine, the white Christian nationalist crowd are eating it up. Here's an op-ed he published in the New York Post (America's answer to the UK's Daily Fail?

As a Christian minister, I’m used to being stifled when I talk about my religion outside of church. If I bring up faith in Jesus Christ, the guardians of the secular public square are quick to inform me that my religion is strictly a private matter.

But these days I’m stifled not because of the religion I practice but because of one I reject: the religion of antiracism, which is now the established church of academia, government, the media and business.

Minor recaps:

First, archived FJ threads have a lot of info on Voddie through the years he's been on the fundie scene. Voddie, his wife & 7 younger children relocated to Zambia some years ago when he took a job with African Christian University. He was diagnosed with serious heart problems earlier this year which could only be treated in the US. His recent heart surgery -- discussed intermittently in the current Geoff Botkin thread -- apparently went well. Since, AFAIK, he did not require a heart transplant, as had been thought possible, it looks like he still retains a significant chunk of change from the GoFundMe created for his medical treatment. 

In contrast to Voddie's contempt for BLM and concepts like CRT, his daughter, Jasmine Holmes, and her husband, Phillip Holmes, have become articulate proponents of racial justice in evangelical spaces. She uses her public instagram feed to present historical data to back up her statements about the racist roots throughout much of white evangelical Christianity. Not surprisingly, many of her fundie readers do not like this & push back. 

Edited by hoipolloi
Clarity
  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 21

• hoipolloi changed the title to Voddie Baucham takes a turn driving the Wambulance of Christian Persecution

I'm sputtering a bit here, but all I can get our right now is, Fuck that guy. He's a despicable, arrogant ass.  Interesting that Doug Phillips, Geoff Botkin and Voddie have more or less the same cultural take on the current political landscape. 

I'm so glad that Jasmine has forged her own path, although surprising; her husband was Voddie's assistant at one time, IIRC.  I'm guessing she and her husband are growing away from the more toxic aspects of fundy-dom together. Perhaps a bit like Ben/Audri Botkin, but I'm not sure if those two couples are exactly parallel; I don't know enough about either to say. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 6

I once heard Voddie speak in person, at a homeschool convention, maybe 10-12 years ago. I’m ashamed to say that I loved him, but the funny thing is, I can’t really remember anything he said. I’d never heard of him, or his views on punishing kids for being shy, for example. He was extremely charismatic and didn’t say anything that set off my kid-abuser radar in his talk. It’s seriously embarrassing to me now.

My oldest daughter just told me that she has the CDs of that speech, as well as all the other presentations from that convention, in her desk drawer. Some day when I’m bored, I’ll have to listen to some of them.

• Upvote 12

2 hours ago, Jasmar said:

He was extremely charismatic and didn’t say anything that set off my kid-abuser radar in his talk. It’s seriously embarrassing to me now.

I think that is their strong point -- presenting a warm, charismatic version of Christianity.   It's how they pull their followers in. 

Also, I don't think he has dissed Jasmine in any way, even though she is forging a different direction. 

• Upvote 7

Didn’t Jasmine end up actually going to a real college? 

I would love to see Voddie debate someone like Ralph Warnock or William Barber on issues of racial justice and the power of the black church. They’d eat him for lunch. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Didn’t Jasmine end up actually going to a real college? 

She did the SAHD thing of attending Thomas Edison State University, an online school although she apparently had wanted to go to NYU at some point. Interesting that she says in the linked post that the Botkinettes' So Much More convinced her to be a SAHD instead. 

TESU is still online (and after the Year of COVID* this is certainly not so strange anymore) but at that time, IIRC, it was affiliated with College Plus -- often called College Minus around FJ. She earned a bachelor's degree through TESU but is now pursuing a  master's degree at a local school in MS. 

6 hours ago, Howl said:

I think that is their strong point -- presenting a warm, charismatic version of Christianity.   It's how they pull their followers in. 

So many of these guys -- Voddie, DPIART, Mike Pearl -- are engaging, even charming speakers or writers. ITA that it's a big factor in suckering a lot of people into joining their cults. 

* Shout out here to the amazing book Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

8 hours ago, Howl said:

Also, I don't think he has dissed Jasmine in any way, even though she is forging a different direction. 

She actually had a post on her public Facebook page blasting all of the people who say, “her dad must be so disappointed in her.” She shared some note he wrote praising her. 

• Upvote 8

I was wondering if anyone would start a topic about his new book. He has recently recovered from some type of illness. Looks like he and his wife do a good job of educating their kids, but sadly they see his world view of things. Their own opinions probably won't progress until they move away or get married. Does Voddie still believe girls should just stay home and help their fathers? I wonder he thought about the nurses taking care of him while he was ill. You definitely have to leave home to train for that.

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

I wonder what he thought about the nurses taking care of him while he was ill. You definitely have to leave home to train for that.

Yes, there most definitely would have been highly trained women on his medical team.  

There's something about Voddie that's a bit (or a lot) of a contrarian.  He was raised by a single Buddhist mom and became a proponent of religious beliefs that are the antithesis of Buddhist teachings and practice.  I'd be interested to know if she practiced physical discipline with him. 

Anyway, I took a minute to review the website for Grace Family Baptist in Spring, TX (just north of Houston) where Voddie is still listed as a pastor. 

It's a Family Integrated Church.  And this from their website: 

We also have a longer process for joining our church than most, so you wont see anyone signing a card and becoming a member because they walked down the aisle. 

Kind of red flag-ish, IMHO. 

Click here for Voddie's description of the African Christian University in Zambia. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5

Also, it appears that Grace Family Baptist is an island of hearty and hale people who are immune to COVID.  There is zero mention of it on their website. 

I can get zero sense of how big their congregation is from their website, but they serve a continental breakfast before service and have a sit down meal afterwards, so presumably much unmasked fellowshipping.   

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

She did the SAHD thing of attending Thomas Edison State University, an online school although she apparently had wanted to go to NYU

In “Return If The Daughters,” I remember her mentioning her former goals of attending NYU and becoming a screenwriter, and her father saying “Nope, you’re going to stay home and assist me,” and I could sense a barely repressed sadness in her voice.

Edited by smittykins
  • Upvote 4
  • Sad 2

20 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Since, AFAIK, he did not require a heart transplant, as had been thought possible, it looks like he still retains a significant chunk of change from the GoFundMe created for his medical treatment. 

He sounds like he needs a different sort of heart transplant, IMO.

"Rejecting anti-racism?" Just say you're racist AF, already. No need to double-negative your way there. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4

3 hours ago, smittykins said:

In “Return If The Daughters,” I remember her mentioning her former goals of attending NYU and becoming a screenwriter, and her father saying “Nope, you’re going to stay home and assist me,” and I could sense a barely repressed sadness in her voice.

I’ve never been able to figure out their exact views on college. In Return of the Daughters, Voddie absolutely sounded like “no college ever,” mostly because you can teach yourself anything you need to know at home. But there’s also this on Jasmine’s blog:

“After I decided to stay home, it was my dad who pushed me to get an online degree: ‘You’ll wish you had it someday, even if it’s just to do some post-graduate work.’”

https://jasminelholmes.com/regrets-of-staying-home/

I never would have believed that just from a straightforward viewing of Return of the Daughters. I wonder how many girls were discouraged from or not allowed to pursue a college education from that video, and I wonder if Jasmine’s ever considered that.

I’m very curious to see what Voddie’s next big boogie man will be in 10 or so years. Something will happen to make “woke-ism” not lucrative any more and he’s going to have to find a new outlet. I know he has another young (adopted?) daughter. I sure hope for her sake that he doesn’t try to revise stay-at-home daughters. No matter what Jasmine might have to say about it.

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, Columbia said:

I never would have believed that just from a straightforward viewing of Return of the Daughters. I wonder how many girls were discouraged from or not allowed to pursue a college education from that video, and I wonder if Jasmine’s ever considered that.

Don't know if Jasmine has specifically mentioned ROTD but she has generally repudiated the SAHD rubbish that she pushed as a young adult. 

2 hours ago, Columbia said:

I’m very curious to see what Voddie’s next big boogie man will be in 10 or so years.

It'll be whatever his buddies at TGC and related organizations have decreed is evil. IOW, it'll be something that challenges the power structure of the white fundie Christian males that Voddie hangs with and on which they can all make bank while pushing it.

You do wonder what Voddie thinks of Jesus and John Wayne. Jasmine has read it and thinks it's good, but won't discuss it with her IG fan base. Too close to the bone, I'm guessing. She certainly has a right to set boundaries (as she says) and deem her family off-limits for discussion. 

OTOH, her father, IMO, needs to do some serious, public apologizing for the terrible things he's previously supported, said, and written about. This likely won't happen though because he's probably betting -- correctly -- on the tendency of his fundie base to overlook that shite as long as he keeps pandering to their racism & misogyny.

9 hours ago, Howl said:

Click here for Voddie's description of the African Christian University in Zambia. 

Hadn't seen that post before. Given the following, just WTF is biblical chemistry? 

Finally, ACU is a Biblical Worldview University.  This means we teach every course in every department, and in every discipline from a biblical worldview.  We do not have Chemistry professors who happen to be Christian but teach their course in exactly  the same way and from exactly the same perspective as the secular State University down the road.  We are developing faculty with a full-orbed biblical worldview who incorporate that worldview into every lecture.

Edited by hoipolloi
Fixed formatting
  • Upvote 4
  • WTF 3
  • Thank You 3

33 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Hadn't seen that post before. Given the following, just WTF is biblical chemistry?

Just teach chemistry, already. 

This is overwrought in a WE ARE SO JESUS THAT JESUS OOZES OUT OF EVERY PORE OF OUR BEING kinda way:  

We are developing faculty with a full-orbed biblical worldview

Is this All Bible All the Time + We're More Jesus Than Jesus University for the menz only? 

• Upvote 7

18 hours ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

She actually had a post on her public Facebook page blasting all of the people who say, “her dad must be so disappointed in her.” She shared some note he wrote praising her. 

So in other words, he’s a hypocrite. Not that that was news…

ETA Biblical chemistry: transmutation of two loaves and five fishes into enough to feed thousands

Edited by Jasmar
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 11

12 hours ago, smittykins said:

That's because after her mother fell ill with some kind of chronic condition that kept her from having more children, Voddie decided to burden her (and Jasmine) with adopted siblings to keep up with the fertile myrtles the other patriarchs married. Jasmine was a parent to her siblings in a way that was more Duggar than Phillips. 

• Sad 6
  • WTF 1

13 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

You do wonder what Voddie thinks of Jesus and John Wayne. Jasmine has read it and thinks it's good, but won't discuss it with her IG fan base. Too close to the bone, I'm guessing. She certainly has a right to set boundaries (as she says) and deem her family off-limits for discussion.

I have somewhat mixed feelings on this, on the one hand I'm all for letting people just living, and the sins of the fathers shouldn't be visited on the children and all that, but on the other hand she wouldn't have the platform she has but for whose daughter she is, and while I did think the linked post dealt with the particular subject sensitively it didn't really reckon with the impact of her book (in the same way that the Josh Harris' documentary had him fairly evasive on the subject of his book).

I suppose I would want to ask her what she feels the impact of her book would have been on the sort of person she describes herself as being at 19.

EDIT: And the book continues to remain in print and be sold!

Edited by stylites
correction
  • Upvote 8

On 5/18/2021 at 6:53 AM, hoipolloi said:

Given the following, just WTF is biblical chemistry? 

I know quite a few creationists who would very much like to put pretty much the same description on a university.

• Upvote 2

On 5/18/2021 at 12:15 AM, stylites said:

she wouldn't have the platform she has but for whose daughter she is

This is so true and Jasmine has to know it even if she never acknowledges it as such. 

For all the public work Jasmine is doing on racism against Blacks in the white evangelical world, she is still anti-LGBTQ. Somehow, humans made in God's image don't include non-cisgendered and trans individuals.  Then again, Jasmine considers Jackie Hill-Perry to be an authority on LGBTQ communities...

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 3

So this thread happened: 

I thought snark was our job :P

• Haha 7

On 5/17/2021 at 2:24 AM, hoipolloi said:

Shout out here to the amazing book Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks. 

Love this book and Geraldine Brooks.  Have you read "March"?  

• I Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...

I saw a headline about yet another Critical Race Theory "expert", and the subject's name sounded familiar...

The featured speaker at an upcoming Heritage Foundation event titled “Critical Race Theory: The Fault Lines of Social Justice” is a right-wing pastor named Voddie Baucham Jr. who pushes the antisemitic trope of “cultural Marxism,” insists on the importance of “virgin brides,” argues that women should not be vice presidential nominees, denies the existence of homosexuality, and claims the AIDS crisis was manipulated by the LGBTQ community for “pity.” Baucham also considered former President Donald Trump “immoral.”

(bolding mine) I suppose a broken clock is right twice a day.

https://www.mediamatters.org/heritage-foundation/heritage-foundations-critical-race-theory-expert-extremist-who-thinks-women

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

As I said in another thread, Voddie appears to have hit on the ultimate grift with his new book. He's tapped into the deep well of white grievance in the SBC & elsewhere, and the money is rolling in, along with the lucrative side-gigs like this "conference." 

Never mind if he has to ally himself with scum like Doug Wilson, the pedophile-protector. Itʻs all good because it's all profit.

• Upvote 7
  • Eyeroll 1