IGNORED

Voddie Baucham takes a turn driving the Wambulance of Christian Persecution

hoipolloi

2 hours ago, Howl said:

Interesting outcome.  SBC voters: "Oh hell to the no on reich wing ultra conservatives." 

Also "yes, we *will* take sexual abuse seriously and any of you who don't want to do not have public support."  

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

R.L. Stollar follows up with an article containing interviews with women who grew up under Voddie's teachings:

Mr. Baucham was an anomaly in fundamentalist leadership as a black man, because the US Southern Reformed Church has a significant racism issue, which stems from being built around the white supremacist teachings of Rushdoony. (What a surprise!! How could that happen??) Because of this, Mr. Baucham was fetishized and held up as an example of “one of the good ones” and he built a brand around Black Fatherhood and Conservative Fatherhood being “the only way to fix America.”...

Vision Forum also recommended young marriage for female teens raised in the movement, and I remember talking with my father about arranging a marriage for me when I was approximately 15 or 16. These arrangements were with specific older men within our religious group—one was 26 and the other 32. Neither ended up being successfully arranged, and my parents told me it was because I didn’t have a “quiet spirit” that nobody wanted me as a wife.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 9

I remember talking with my father about arranging a marriage for me when I was approximately 15 or 16. These arrangements were with specific older men within our religious group—one was 26 and the other 32. Neither ended up being successfully arranged...

This is horrifying -- young girls were married off to creepers.  Yuck. It makes me ill thinking about it. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 9

BEC here -- But what's up with Voddie's Old Testament patriarch beard?  Is that the latest in fundie facial hair?

• I Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

BEC here -- But what's up with Voddie's Old Testament patriarch beard?  Is that the latest in fundie facial hair?

I just think he wants to stand out even more than he already does. Many of the men around him are clean shaven or have trimmed beards. And he really does stand out in pictures surrounded by all these clean shaven white guys. I’m sure everyone remembers him. Like everyone remembers Gwen Shamblin’s hair. 

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Vision Forum also recommended young marriage for female teens raised in the movement, and I remember talking with my father about arranging a marriage for me when I was approximately 15 or 16. These arrangements were with specific older men within our religious group—one was 26 and the other 32. Neither ended up being successfully arranged, and my parents told me it was because I didn’t have a “quiet spirit” that nobody wanted me as a wife.

This echoes the experience of many of my friends.  

37 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Beards have been strongly encouraged since VF days by the far in wackos.  Calling it a patriarch beard may have been intended as snark but that literally is what it was intended to symbolize for many of them.  A beard is a symbol of manliness and masculinity and the bigger the beard, the more masculine the man.  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Sarcastically spinster said:

Beards have been strongly encouraged since VF days by the far in wackos.  Calling it a patriarch beard may have been intended as snark but that literally is what it was intended to symbolize for many of them.  A beard is a symbol of manliness and masculinity and the bigger the beard, the more masculine the man.  

I didn't know that about the fundies -- but it has so much sense now that I think of the numbers of fundies with "patriarch" beards.

IMHO I think they look ridiculous

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

Don't forget Duck Dynasty also started the beard trend among conservative men🙄

Those folks seem to have faded into oblivion, thankfully. 

I'm sure the old man is still making the church rounds promoting marrying teen girls and hating "the gays." 

I just googled to see what they're up to. Phil and Duck Dynasty got shown the door in 2017 over Phil's homophobic rant during a GQ interview. I didn't realize that the show was on for 11 years. I'd guess by now all the sons have shaved their beards and gone back to the clean cut preppy look they rocked before the show began.  They do have a podcast. 

In a "what the duck" moment recently, a woman came forward and said she was Phil's daughter, and she is.  She found out inadvertently through a DNA site when she discovered that she had a different father than her siblings. 

Phil and "Miss Kay" would have been married for about 10 or 11 years when the daughter was conceived, just before Phil was saved! The daughter is 45-ish now and has been welcomed into the family.  Two People Magazine articles quoted Phil and one of the sons on how great it was to find a "long lost" daughter/sister respectively.  Seemingly, no one asked "Miss Kay" what she thought. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 5

20 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Black men have a higher incidence of ingrown facial hairs, so a lot of them have beards to avoid the pain that shaving every day causes.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4

6 hours ago, indianabones said:

Black men have a higher incidence of ingrown facial hairs, so a lot of them have beards to avoid the pain that shaving every day causes.

Yeahbut (speaking as someone who has a beard for similiar reasons) that means you have a beard.  That doesn’t dictate the form of your beard.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, stylites said:

Yeahbut (speaking as someone who has a beard for similiar reasons) that means you have a beard.  That doesn’t dictate the form of your beard.  

I suppose I was responding more to the comparisons between him and cleanshaven white guys rather than the style of the beard.

• Upvote 2

On 6/17/2022 at 6:59 PM, stylites said:

True. His very long beard makes him stand out. I’ve seen plenty of men with short very nicely trimmed and edged beard. I personally think Voddie wants to stand out in the crowd.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 3

Linking to the full interviews with former SAHD who ensued Voddie’s teaching. Worthwhile read and horrific reminder of his abusive teaching. Also appreciated Katherine pointed out that: “He rose to “fame” by partnering with Doug Wilson and Doug Phillips (the former being exposed as an enabler of sexual abuse and the latter as a perpetrator of it). His other doctrines were considered heresy when they were first espoused by Rushdoony as “Christian Reconstructionism.”

Also: merch table at Voddie’s church sold leather spanking straps that were normalized. 🤬

https://rlstollar.com/2022/06/15/how-voddie-bauchams-teachings-cause-long-term-damage-collected-interviews/?amp=1

• WTF 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 2

On 6/19/2022 at 1:40 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

True. His very long beard makes him stand out. I’ve seen plenty of men with short very nicely trimmed and edged beard. I personally think Voddie wants to stand out in the crowd.

Oh yeah, it's largely affect. Goes with "Husband, Father, Pastor" in the bio.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

On 6/17/2022 at 7:30 AM, Howl said:

Those folks seem to have faded into oblivion, thankfully. 

I'm sure the old man is still making the church rounds promoting marrying teen girls and hating "the gays." 

I just googled to see what they're up to. Phil and Duck Dynasty got shown the door in 2017 over Phil's homophobic rant during a GQ interview. I didn't realize that the show was on for 11 years. I'd guess by now all the sons have shaved their beards and gone back to the clean cut preppy look they rocked before the show began.  They do have a podcast. 

In a "what the duck" moment recently, a woman came forward and said she was Phil's daughter, and she is.  She found out inadvertently through a DNA site when she discovered that she had a different father than her siblings. 

Phil and "Miss Kay" would have been married for about 10 or 11 years when the daughter was conceived, just before Phil was saved! The daughter is 45-ish now and has been welcomed into the family.  Two People Magazine articles quoted Phil and one of the sons on how great it was to find a "long lost" daughter/sister respectively.  Seemingly, no one asked "Miss Kay" what she thought. 

People were upset about his marrying off teen girls comments and homophobe shit, but Phil should have gotten a lot more crap about his racist comments. He said black people were happier before civil rights (link).

Thanks for the update. 

The Robertsons are/were fundie-lite. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Columbia said:

Voddie with JD Hall, former pastor turned jailbird, and possibly the most insufferable person on God’s green earth. It’s an older picture, but boy, does Voddie know how to attract the most abhorrent friends. 

https://www.christianpost.com/amp/pastor-jd-hall-arrested-for-dui.html

AFE90B6B-B173-498F-AD4B-68F123061A33.jpeg

Didn’t this guy just get charged with a crime and quasi excommunicated from his hateful church b/c he’s on antidepressants? 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 1

I don't know if anyone ever posted this. One of Voddie's gigs was being the narrator for Genesis: Paradise Lost, a 2017 movie from the Hovinds. I think the best way to get to know that film is through Paulogia's analysis. Here's part one:

Edited by thoughtful
riffle
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

13 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

Didn’t this guy just get charged with a crime and quasi excommunicated from his hateful church b/c he’s on antidepressants? 

Close.  Abuse of prescription drugs, not for being on drugs.  Charged with DUI that is probably related to narcotics though tox screen is still pending.  Removed from leadership, but they said nothing about excommunication.  Here's the statements from Protestia and from his church:  https://protestia.com/2022/06/25/statement-on-the-disqualification-of-jd-hall/?fbclid=IwAR32IDbRVbDiN6TfRfOi1Bd0dyka3BTle5d2cd2WOqc0hNtjJP6O8tNRXVM

From the Christian perspective, pastors (which JD was) are held to a higher standard of conduct than regular church members, and so things can disqualify someone from being a pastor that do not necessarily disqualify from being a member.  Basically, committing certain sins, regardless of whether you repent of it, is enough for removal from being a pastor.  An affair or other sexual sin, financial improprieties, etc., can be enough to say that this person should not be allowed in a position where they have the kind of power/influence that a pastor does.  

Church membership/excommunication would be determined by whether or not someone shows repentance for a serious sin.  So, in this case, the abuse of prescription drugs is enough for them to consider that he is disqualified from being a pastor.  However, if he stops the misuse of drugs, gets help, and demonstrates change, excommunication is probably not going to happen.  Excommunication would be if he continues abusing drugs without any desire or attempt to change.  

At least, that's how it goes in most churches that do practice excommunication.  There are always variants, it sometimes is used like shunning as a tool for abuse, etc.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4

2 hours ago, Sarcastically spinster said:

Abuse of prescription drugs, not for being on drugs.  Charged with DUI that is probably related to narcotics though tox screen is still pending.

His initial defense was “vitamin D deficiency.” I’m assuming now that the D stood for dilaudid.

• Haha 12
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, thoughtful said:

One of Voddie's gigs was being the narrator for Genesis: Paradise Lost, a 2017 movie from the Hovinds.

Well, well, well. Voddie takes money for doing utter shite like this but goes to an actual science-based medical facility with science-trained physicians for his quaduple bypass surgery. 

Once more with feeling, say it with me: "Do as I say not as I do."

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1