IGNORED

Voddie Baucham takes a turn driving the Wambulance of Christian Persecution

hoipolloi

12 hours ago, Columbia said:

I hope there’s at least one person with enough sense and courage to ask a bunch of questions about Vision Forum and substitute daughters at Anaheim.

Not familiar with this or does it refer to something something daughters keeping men from straying from their marriage?

3 hours ago, Howl said:

Not familiar with this or does it refer to something something daughters keeping men from straying from their marriage?

Thank you for the video link, @Columbia

AFAIK, he has never retracted, explained, or apologized for that loathsome advice. 

• Upvote 1

This is from Christianity Today, March 2022

Voddie Baucham, Tom Ascol Want to Unseat ‘Liberal’ Southern Baptists

Tom Ascol will be one of three nominees for SBC president and Voddie will be one of two nominees for leader of the SBC Pastors’ Conference. 

The SBC convention is in June; I assume voting happens then.

This CT article clarifies why Voddie was nominated; it's because everybody else is too "woke" and not strictly adhering to the Bible.  It's almost like they don't realize Jesus was a flaming radical who was crucified for his "woke" beliefs.  

This paragraph from the article pretty much sums it up: "A group of vocal critics in the SBC sees attempts to address racial injustice or other social ills as antithetical to the Christian gospel—in messaging that parallels that of Republican leaders and former President Donald Trump."

Lawzamerzy. 

And of course, they have to flog Beth Moore as one of those people that think they're a Christian but they're not. 

“We still have churches filled with unregenerate people,” said Ascol (SBC president nominee*), whose ministry produced a documentary that criticized former SBC Bible teacher Beth Moore and former SBC President James Merritt of bringing the “Trojan horse of social justice” into the denomination.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 5

It's like they've never read their Bibles.  :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 7

• 5 weeks later...

I've been watching reaction videos from people who have come out of fundamentalist and evangelical backgrounds - Genetically Modified Skeptic, Paulogia, Viced Rhino (the name is an anagram of Eric Hovind), etc. They mostly tackle apologists who try to sound highfalutin' or pseudo-scientific.

This one is Viced Rhino commenting on a video by The Gospel Coalition, which was a disgusting conversation between Voddie, J. D. Greear, and Russell Moore. These three were being pissy and self-righteous about same-sex marriage, with a soupçon of misogyny, because they just can't seem to avoid it.

I have no idea when the original video was made - Voddie looks considerably younger and less bearded than he does now.

One amusing thing - the original video spells Voddie's name wrong:

Spoiler

image.png.5bdd9e90e2ddec952b7a177571d67ff8.png

Spoiler

• Thank You 7

Voddie is the only fundie patriarch or helpmeet I’ve actually seen speak. He was extremely charismatic, and I’m embarrassed at how I fell for his crap. This was at a homeschool conference 10-15 years ago.

• Upvote 5

9 hours ago, Jasmar said:

Voddie is the only fundie patriarch or helpmeet I’ve actually seen speak. He was extremely charismatic, and I’m embarrassed at how I fell for his crap. This was at a homeschool conference 10-15 years ago.

Do you recall the main points he was pushing at the time -- the take-aways for most people who heard him speak?

• Upvote 3

It appears that the spokesman for the CBN (which is currently courting Voddie) has been taken to court for diverting money from missions to who knows what else. Probably a giant McMansion or stained glass window of himself. How does poor Voddie keep getting caught up in these shady organizations? So sad. 

https://religionnews.com/2022/06/07/judge-orders-church-led-by-cbn-spokesman-brad-jurkovich-to-turn-over-financial-records/

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Columbia said:

How does poor Voddie keep getting caught up in these shady organizations?

The lure of the money + power they bring him.

16 hours ago, Jasmar said:

Voddie is a charismatic speaker as was Doug Phillips. It doesn't surprise me that people were sucked into their various scams especially if they were already within a religious & social milieu that supported that worldview.

10-15 years ago would put that homeschool conference smack in the VF heyday. I would also be interested to hear what Voddie was peddling at that time, if you remember & feel like sharing. Voddie, Dougie, Kevin Swanson, the Bradrick parents, Scott  Brown, and a number of others were in the circuit of state & regional homeschool conferences and made good bank off them.

• Upvote 5

Voddie posted an IG announcement for his June 12 CBN event with John MacArthur & is getting some pushback. Havenʻt seen so many critics speak out on his IG before:

Many are criticizing him for associating with MacArthur, known for his support & covering for sexual abusers:

829965591_VoddieSupportsMacArthursCoverUpofAbuse.thumb.png.f542a2341d6c4bf16006346f1d0148be.png

1616963112_MacArthurCoversUpAbuse.thumb.png.dc09bd54838b36e1379fafe89385d0ad.png

People are also criticizing Voddie for associating with MacArthur because he is apparently descended from a long line of 33rd degree masons and has errant theology:

Spoiler

1285997758_MacArthurisMason.thumb.png.b8a3697f5ec4f23dc493075c05a6ae49.png

1720120871_TrifectaofFalseTeachers.thumb.png.9897b479ff313ffcc134ed64442b93ed.png

And then someone gets down to brass tacks, pointing out that Voddie is just all about the money:

Spoiler

76265606_Allaboutthemoney.thumb.png.6f624c934b4b5df858ed0bd83991c986.png

Edited by hoipolloi
Fixed formatting
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

Brad Jurkovich (spokesman for CBN) would like everyone to know that snitches get stitches, in the name of Jesus. These are the folks Voddie’s running to now. I hope someone on IG asks a few questions about this, too. 

• Upvote 2
  • Disgust 2
  • I Agree 1

On 6/7/2022 at 6:35 AM, Howl said:

Do you recall the main points he was pushing at the time -- the take-aways for most people who heard him speak?

I did, but between the amount of stress in my life over the last five years and everything I’ve read about him here and elsewhere, I’m not entirely sure what he said versus what I’ve read that he’s said. The main things I remember are his charisma, the intensity of his passionate belief that homeschooling is the only godly choice, and something about how the father should be leading the homeschool (although mom does most of the teaching), even to the point of taking the kids to work (like he had at least a couple of sons with him at his merch table, iirc).

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

7 hours ago, Jasmar said:

I did, but between the amount of stress in my life over the last five years and everything I’ve read about him here and elsewhere, I’m not entirely sure what he said versus what I’ve read that he’s said. The main things I remember are his charisma, the intensity of his passionate belief that homeschooling is the only godly choice, and something about how the father should be leading the homeschool (although mom does most of the teaching), even to the point of taking the kids to work (like he had at least a couple of sons with him at his merch table, iirc).

They must not be strongly held beliefs and easily swayed by the promise of an honorarium, because about eight years ago or so he spoke at the fundraising banquet at one of the Christian schools I attended as a kid. My parents were still involved with the school for decades after I graduated but I sent them some info about him and they chose to skip the event. 

I guess it also speaks to his charisma (I've never heard him speak because his writing nauseates me) that he got chosen to headline a fundraising event for the type of institution that he generally rails against. I didn't get it then and I don't get it now.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, forgetmenow said:

They must not be strongly held beliefs and easily swayed by the promise of an honorarium

They’re probably no more strongly held than his beliefs that college is unnecessary, and doesn’t provide actual education, because he dropped those like a hot potato when they offered to make him dean of ACU in Zambia. If I lived in Lusaka I’d find a way to *accidentally* get pamphlets with quotes from ROTD plastered all over the campus. 

• Upvote 6

57 minutes ago, Columbia said:

Pretty good for someone who isn't even SBC, lol.

Seriously, what's up with him?  Is it his ego?  Does he crave the validation?  Is it the cash?  (If there's even money involved in the SBC position.)  All of the above?  Whatever it is, his "convictions" don't hold a candle to it, I guess.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, Columbia said:

Looks like he just barely lost the election. 

Whoa!!!!!!!!  This is interesting.  I assumed the vote was just a formality -- but there was some drama and it was a very close vote.  They had to go to paper ballots because the stand-up vote was inconclusive.  Seems there was some serious pushback against the ultra conservatives. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, forgetmenow said:

Pretty good for someone who isn't even SBC, lol.

Seriously, what's up with him?  Is it his ego?  Does he crave the validation?  Is it the cash?  (If there's even money involved in the SBC position.)  All of the above?  Whatever it is, his "convictions" don't hold a candle to it, I guess.

I imagine a power trip from being the only man un-woke enough to save the second largest denomination in America from itself. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

So all of the Conservative Baptist Network guys were denied.  They had backed candidates for the Pastor's Conference President (Voddie), SBC President (Ascol) and Exec. Committee.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 3

8 hours ago, Columbia said:

I imagine a power trip from being the only man un-woke enough to save the second largest denomination in America from itself. 

This and money. Gotta be some $$$$ involved. Maybe not salaries but speakers' fees at conferences, peddling books, getting the gullible to sign up for seminars -- I'm sure there are lots of money-making ventures.

R.L. Stollar has a good recap of Voddie's career to date and why he's such a disaster of a human being:

In evangelical homeschooling, Baucham is both famous and notorious. In fact, Baucham began his career as a public speaker and conservative firebrand in the evangelical homeschooling world. There, Baucham is well-known as a social and political extremist, for which evangelical homeschoolers love him. At majority-white evangelical homeschooling events, Baucham is often the token Black conservative sanctioning the white supremacy and Christian Nationalism ubiquitous in the community....

Family is probably the most significant concern for Baucham—and his thoughts on family, parenting, and child development are what make him so polarizing. Family is also what attracted Baucham to male supremacist Doug Phillips and his homeschool organization Vision Forum in the 2000s, before Phillips was accused of sexual predation by his young Latina nanny and Vision Forum folded in the 2010s.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

22 hours ago, forgetmenow said:

In a weird twisted way, I do think convictions are part of it, but less his convictions than the convictions of some of the ultra conservative wing of the SBC.  Many of those on an individual member level within the SBC do genuinely hold conservative convictions.  They're wrong, and their beliefs are toxic and dangerous, but they're held genuinely.  Those people are looking for someone to represent them.  Voddie seems like he wants to be revered.  I think he likes speaking to packed out crowds, and the attention of being the spokesperson for a particular cause, etc.  I think it's more about adulation for him than about money, and probably for the power that comes with it.  And so he positions himself in ways that will get him that acclaim.  He positions himself as the Black anti-CRT spokesman because then he is The Guy for white evangelicals who want a justification to push back against CRT.  He's positioning himself as a conservative within the SBC sphere because then he is The Guy for the conservative wing of the SBC.  

I could be wrong, but that's the impression that I have of him.  That it's not his own personal convictions, but that he's playing off the sincere convictions of others.

• Upvote 3

Interesting outcome.  SBC voters: "Oh hell to the no on reich wing ultra conservatives." 

• Upvote 3