IGNORED

Voddie Baucham takes a turn driving the Wambulance of Christian Persecution

hoipolloi

Oooooh, interesting.  Effect depends on enforcement.  If it's a toothless law, nothing will change, but I don't know how Zambians in general view and utilize corporal punishment for children.  

Probably will not stop Voddie from spreading his vile teachings, though.  After all, it's his followers who would be at legal risk for child beating.  How old is Voddie's oldest kid? 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

I wonder how Voddie, a huge fan of child-beating, will react to this new law.

Stand by for a coming rant about persecution, the evils of globalism, parental rights, and how everything wrong with the world is because people do t beat their kids enough. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

Yep, this will be about how awful and child centric it is to treat children as…human beings.

Alternatively Voddie could see how the winds are shifting and memory hole his vile teachings the way he did with his VF connections. Railing against CRT is probably more lucrative anyway. 

• Upvote 5

11 hours ago, Howl said:

How old is Voddie's oldest kid? 

I’m pretty sure the oldest is Jasmine, who is in her early thirties, then her brother Trey, who has managed (quite wisely) to stay out of the spotlight. This seems to be the most recent photo of all their adopted kids. 

1DC1BB7F-4DD1-493E-8032-A7C2DC62D478.png

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

• 3 months later...

Ooof.

(ICYMI: Steven Wolfe is the author of a Christian Nationalist “book” published by Canon Press. He also used to host a podcast with Thomas Achord, kinist and former headmaster of a Classical Christian school in Louisiana.)

• Upvote 3

• 2 months later...

The infamous "substitute daughters" line seems to be making the rounds on Twitter. And of course all Voddie's fans know that what Voddie said is absolutely not what he said, but also they have no actual explanation for why it doesn't mean what it means.

Given the way documentaries are pouring out, I give it about 2-3 years until we have one on Vision Forum, and hopefully by then Voddie has come up for a better explanation for this than his original "y'all just bitter."

image.png.e1ba3e1f5ab3c23b733f1d3fe9b5310b.png

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 3

I suppose that Voddie subscribes to the concept of "Never apologize, never explain" but he is definitely leaving his leghumpers in the lurch. Unless heʻs speaking in a secret code, those words mean exactly what heʻs saying in that clip. It is fun to watch his leghumpers squirm, though.

I am also glad that he & the other VF grifters are getting refocused attention. They all did a lot harm to many people but skedaddled with the money to new grifts and have been allowed to pretend they never had anything to do with VF.

• Upvote 10

Somebody posted the waybackmachine link to his original response back when this first got attention and it was just him being like: ppl are bitter, not real Christians, if you guys think I meant that, you don't know me, etc. 

He didn't even do the bare minimum of: hey, I can see how it might sound bad, let me explain. 

Also LOL at that person's all caps THAT IS NOT WHAT HE SAID. I mean, it's a direct quote, ma'am.

• Upvote 15

5 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

He didn't even do the bare minimum of: hey, I can see how it might sound bad, let me explain. 

An explanation is too much like an apology, and apologizing is for women and children, not patriarchs. Though even if he did want to clarify himself, even if he wanted to discuss how the stay-at-home-daughter movement hurt women and girls and apologize for his part in it, he couldn't. He's in too deep with a group that's more ruthless than Vision Forum could ever have hoped to be. I don't think Doug Wilson would have any issues with him saying that it's okay for unmarried women to go to college and have a job outside the home (after all, where would his college students and Logos school teachers come from?) But if he went any further, talking about why it's bad from the women's point of view (disempowerment, complete financial reliance on a man, educational neglect, vulnerability to abuse, etc.) then all the Doug Wilson followers would come at him, and it would probably look something like when Cost Hinn started talking about Steven Sitler. They'd call him "female adjacent," and a "simp," and a "white knight," and write him off as "woke." Voddie's biggest fans showed him just how much they love him by harassing his daughter off of Twitter; they'd do the same to him, too, if he started talking about something like women's' well-being that wasn't patriarchy centered.

The only way he could ever apologize is if he was prepared to give up everything, the fancy university position, the sleazy CBN and Moscow friends, the (plagiarized) book deals, and started all over again from the bottom, which, in the end, might be the most Christ-like thing he could ever do.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Columbia said:

The only way he could ever apologize is if he was prepared to give up everything, the fancy university position, the sleazy CBN and Moscow friends, the (plagiarized) book deals, and started all over again from the bottom, which, in the end, might be the most Christ-like thing he could ever do.

And he wonʻt do that. None of them would do that because it really is all about power and money since one brings the other.

Jesus is a very distant third. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

The thing that has always always always squicked me out about Voddie's infamous 'middle-aged men should use their daughters for attention and affection so they don't cheat' * is that:

1) He was middle aged when her said it

2) He has a lovely daughter.

Since Voddie always exhorts people to follow his examples and do what he does -- he was speaking of himself and Jasmine.

Obviously (uh ..... patriarchy) the daughters have no voice, no choice in being used by their fathers.

See also:  Ducky Geoff and the Botkin daughters

* Yes he said it. We have the tapes. It has always been disgusting and vile

Edited by Red Hair, Black Dress
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...

https://cinemaofwonder.com/voddie-baucham/

Voddie's page on the new Cinema of Wonder is up. Whoever is doing that covered all his main talking points pretty well. The only thing they left out that I think should have been included is his line about his pastor buddy beating his daughter because she wouldn't shake a man's hand. I also think they should have included more on his growing partnership with Doug Wilson for if/when that finally crashes, too.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5

On 8/19/2023 at 11:00 AM, Columbia said:

https://cinemaofwonder.com/voddie-baucham/

Voddie's page on the new Cinema of Wonder is up. Whoever is doing that covered all his main talking points pretty well.

I see there are a few individual quotes from Botkinetti, Spanky, and others on the main page now also... with "Coming Soon" tags. Thank you, whoever is putting this site together! It's going to be quite a resource.

Edited by Antipatriarch
  • Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Antipatriarch said:

I see there are a few individual quotes from Botkinetti, Spanky, and others on the main page now also... with "Coming Soon" tags. Thank you, whoever is putting this site together! It's going to be quite a resource.

It looks pretty thorough. I'm very curious to see what falls under these categories:

image.thumb.png.f8eb1e2a384f26d1889f3575b53e9838.png

All I can think of is NCFIC. To the best of my knowledge there aren't any other VF spin offs.

I really want to know what prompted the creation of this page now, so many years later. It almost feels like a preemptive strike of some sort.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Columbia said:

To the best of my knowledge there aren't any other VF spin offs.

That's  the main one although I suppose you could count the Witherspoon School of Law & Public Policy and the Christian Boys' and Men's Titanic Society. The link goes to a 2009 Wartburg Watch post, written well before the Tool OʻWeen debacle. It is very prescient and includes an explanation of Doug's connections to Gothard.

ETA: Found another bizarre website -- Balancing the Sword -- with a speakerʻs bio for Dougie that seems to date to the late 2000s. Here's an excerpt:

Douglas W.'s Achievements    

• Licensed attorney
  • Founder: National Center for Family-Integrated Churches
  • Founder: Witherspoon School of Law and Public Policy
  • Pastor: Boerne Christian Assembly
  • Former Director: National Center for Home Education
  • Former attorney (for six years): Home School Legal Defense Association
  • Founder and president: The Vision Forum, Inc.
  • Founder: The Christian Boys & Mens Titanic Society
  • Founder: The San Antonio Independent Christian Film Festival (SAICFF)
  • Founder: Christian Filmmakers Academy
  • Adjunct Professor of Apologetics: Institute for Creation Research
  • Co-author: Weapons of Our Warfare
  • Compiler and editor: Robert Louis Dabney: The Prophet Speaks
  • Compiler and editor: Poems for Patriarchs
  • Compiler and editor: The Letters & Lessons of Teddy Roosevelt for His Sons
  • Author: The Birkenhead Drill
  • Author: The Little Boy Down the Road: Short Stories and Essays on the Beauty of Family Life

•  
Edited by hoipolloi
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

• 4 weeks later...

Jasmine Holmes new book, Crowned with Glory, dropped today.  Amazon says it's the #1 new release in Christian Church History. 

Description on Amazon: "America was founded on the concept of the innate and inalienable rights of humankind. Many Christians see an echo of the imago Dei--that every human being carries the image of God--within those ideals. Yet these rights were systemically withheld from the Black and enslaved residents of this country for centuries. Through it all, Black people have proclaimed the truth of their dignity and personhood in powerful and profound ways.

Crowned with Glory collects many of the writings of these men and women, both familiar and lesser-known, to shine a light on what has always been there: an enormous movement of Black Americans demanding the liberty they were promised and deserved. With moving and insightful reflections on these oft-forgotten or suppressed voices, author Jasmine L. Holmes offers a hopeful and encouraging testament to the power of unrelenting cries for justice that will strike a chord with anyone looking for a robust Christian history of resistance.

If you want to understand how we got here, read this book. If you want to know where we go from here, read it again."

Now I'm curious to know about Jasmine's political stance and beliefs relative to her religious beliefs.  I assume she stays relatively private on that front, but I don't know. 

• Thank You 8

30 minutes ago, Howl said:

Now I'm curious to know about Jasmine's political stance and beliefs relative to her religious beliefs.  I assume she stays relatively private on that front, but I don't know. 

On her public IG, she is careful to avoid explicit statements on politics but her repeated commentaries on topics like chattel slavery in the US, reconstruction, and the current push to eliminate "woke" history are definitely to the left of her father's public statements, as documented on the revived Cinema of Wonder website.

Similarly, her apparent beliefs in child-rearing, as indicated by what she shares about her three young children are definitely not in sync with Voddie's "vipers in diapers" mantra. For the sake of her kids, I really hope that she & her husband have rejected her father's loathsome practices. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2

I think her IG is fantastic. She dives deep into primary sources and asks really good questions about what is and isn't said in them. She's mentioned several times that she grew up being taught Lost Cause history, and I seem to remember, so long ago, seeing her promote the "War Between The States" book that Western Conservatory used to carry. She addresses specific talking points used to justify the Lost Cause/slaves were happy nonsense. It's really good teaching, and I want to read some of her history books now.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

19 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

For the sake of her kids, I really hope that she & her husband have rejected her father's loathsome practices. 

Ditto. At any rate, she's amazing...raising 3 kids, teaching and cranking out well researched books. 

• I Agree 1
  • Love 3

I was watching a video criticizing the idea of original sin, and, lo and behold, a big chunk of Voddie's vipers in diapers speech was in it. I cued it up to that spot. Voddie appears at other spots in the video, as well, but his crap about sinful babies ends at about 23:40

The person who made the video intercuts bits of preachers' sermons with humor - his own reactions and clips from other things, so it's chopped up a bit.

Spoiler

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 6

• 2 months later...
On 9/13/2023 at 10:44 PM, Columbia said:

think her IG is fantastic. She dives deep into primary sources and asks really good questions about what is and isn't said in them.

Yes, her posts are consistently amazing.  I'd love to see her in a Black Studies graduate program, working on a PhD. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

14 hours ago, Howl said:

I'd love to see her in a Black Studies graduate program, working on a PhD.

She recently said on her public IG that her husband is encouraging her to pursue a PhD in Black Studies/History even if that included moving to another state in order for her to attend a specific program. Sheʻs only a semester into her MA so there is time for her to think over what she wants to do. 

• Thank You 1
  • Love 7

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/14/2023 at 10:17 AM, hoipolloi said:

She recently said on her public IG that her husband is encouraging her to pursue a PhD in Black Studies/History even if that included moving to another state in order for her to attend a specific program. Sheʻs only a semester into her MA so there is time for her to think over what she wants to do. 

I do think she could be an amazing and influential scholar.  Her Instagram account is a bright spot.  She's currently taking a deep dive into the WPA narratives of people born into slavery and the family experience under slavery:

"You know how people ask what you could talk about on command for ten minutes?
Black family during chattel slavery is mine. It’s one of the reasons I love reading the WPA Narratives. The strong bonds of familial love that were present even during this period of hostility towards Black families is such a testament to the power of love and connectedness as acts of resistance. I will never tire of it."

She then delves into the brutal statistics of slave life, which in one Insta post puts lie to all of the Doug Wilson crap of happy slave life. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4