IGNORED

William & Kate

viii

7 hours ago, DalmatianCat said:

I wonder why…Diana wasn’t constantly referred to as Diana Spencer after she married.

The Duchess of York is still mentioned as Sarah Ferguson or Fergie pretty regularly.

Without looking it up I can’t remember Sophie’s maiden name. I think she’s generally referred to as “Sophie, Countess of Wessex” in the press.

I had to look up Sophie’s name… her maiden name was Rhys-Jones.

There’s also this picture of Mike Tindall doing the “I’ve got my eyes on you” gesture (fourth picture in this BBC article) at Louis: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61698428

• Haha 1
  • Thank You 2

Kate has been on an odd 80s retro fashion kick lately. Some kinder commenters have said that she’s paying tribute to Diana. 

• Eyeroll 1

Good grief. She must wake up and plan her day on how to “pay ribute to Diana” according to the press and Diana groupies :)

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

Not everything is cosplaying as Diana. Fashion recycles itself and I think we see that a lot of the time with Kate. There are only a handful of times where it was very clear she was honouring her late mother in law with her clothing choices and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it, personally. William probably finds it touching. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, viii said:

Fashion recycles itself

I myself will be happy when the Little House on the Prairie look recycles itself out of here. (Tiered dresses, shirts...) Don't get me started on puffed sleeves. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

For some reason, this photo cracks me up. It looks like both of them are so, so done with the day. And there’s no family resemblance there. Nope. None at all… 😂

536557A3-EAC1-4E2E-89BE-ABDD2D8BB8A5.jpeg

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 26
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

Don't get me started on puffed sleeves. 

But I love the puffed sleeves! 🥺 Why do they get so much hate? Same with the just below the knee or midi hemline. I think it looks sophisticated, especially with a tighter skirt but everyone seems to want dresses to end above the knee again. Maybe I‘m just weird. 😅

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

But I love the puffed sleeves! 🥺 Why do they get so much hate? Same with the just below the knee or midi hemline. I think it looks sophisticated, especially with a tighter skirt but everyone seems to want dresses to end above the knee again. Maybe I‘m just weird. 😅

I also love puffed sleeves. With my linebacker physique I unfortunately can't wear them, but I'd be all over them if I had Kate's build.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

Why do they get so much hate?

I just don't think they add anything to a silhouette and they are distracting. I also think the clothes with them will look dated quickly. But if it helps, my true dislike is for the tiered trend that won't go away. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WiseGirl said:

But if it helps, my true dislike is for the tiered trend that won't go away. 

Yeah, that does help. 😄 I‘m not big a fan of tiered dresses either. I think people wear them more for comfort than for style.

ETA: Tiered dresses are quite pratical as maternity wear on hot summer days. Don‘t ask me how I know. 😎

Edited by prayawaythefundie
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/5/2022 at 10:00 AM, WiseGirl said:

Can I just add that I dislike the use of Middleton and Markle when describing both Kate and Meghan in headlines. 

I don’t dislike it, but I find it weird.  I am all for women keeping their birth names, but both Meghan and Kate very publicly have not.  

• Upvote 1

On 6/5/2022 at 1:34 PM, DalmatianCat said:

I wonder why…Diana wasn’t constantly referred to as Diana Spencer after she married.

The Duchess of York is still mentioned as Sarah Ferguson or Fergie pretty regularly.

Without looking it up I can’t remember Sophie’s maiden name. I think she’s generally referred to as “Sophie, Countess of Wessex” in the press.

Diana was always known as Lady Di by the press before her marriage and they continued calling her that a lot, only gradually shifting to Princess Di.

I am guessing that the press keeps the name they start off with, and although “Duchess Kate” and “Duchess Meghan” are sometimes used, the maiden last names intrude.  

Sarah Ferguson was always known as Fergie in the press,  so probably if they called her “The Duchess of York” or “Duchess Sarah” people would be confused.

In contrast, Sophie, Countess of Wessex wasn’t widely known to the tabloids by her maiden name, so the switch to her married name has been easier.

• Upvote 2

I really liked the clip of Louis going to go sit on Charles' lap.  William leans over and asks if Louis can sit on his lap and Charles says of course.  Louis looked really happy about sitting on his grandfather's lap.  Made it seem more "normal."  I thought that Charles seemed really comfortable with him as well.  I thought it was really nice look into their family dynamics. 

• Upvote 14
  • Love 2

I agree, it was a nice video clip. For years there's been rumors that Charles is a distant, aloof grandfather but the Cambridge children seem quite comfortable with him. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

That’s just like the tired  line that P&E were cold distant almost Victorian parents. The evidence to the contrary is pretty clear. Charles like them is very very busy and can’t be on hand 24/7 but he makes time when he can and loves his sons and grandchildren. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tabitha2 said:

That’s just like the tired  line that P&E were cold distant almost Victorian parents. The evidence to the contrary is pretty clear. Charles like them is very very busy and can’t be on hand 24/7 but he makes time when he can and loves his sons and grandchildren. 

I do think Phillip and Elizabeth were distant parents because that was their generation, especially upper class. Children weren't supposed to be seen or heard. It's something that lessened with Charles' age raising children and even less now with William's generation. It doesn't mean that any of these people were unloving towards their children, it just means that they were following society expectations at that point in time. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

I generally rally like Kate’s fashion choices but that’s probably because my taste is similar. I had to give a presentation at work recently and I sent the live stream link to my mum and sister, I got a message from them saying that my dress and hairstyle was ‘very Kate’ and I was thrilled 😁 

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, viii said:

I do think Phillip and Elizabeth were distant parents because that was their generation, especially upper class. Children weren't supposed to be seen or heard. It's something that lessened with Charles' age raising children and even less now with William's generation. It doesn't mean that any of these people were unloving towards their children, it just means that they were following society expectations at that point in time. 

A few years ago there was a documentary where Charles and the Queen sat down and watched old home movies she took with Anne , William and Harry  reminiscing as well. When P&E were off duty and could relax they were loving, playful and positively goofy with Charles and Anne and more so with younger boys later. The ones of the Queen as a toddler are particularly sweet. The Bowes Lyons family were very off the wall and fun loving  the opposite of distant and reserved with the children as well so it’s definitely a great watch. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

I'm not saying they didn't have their moments of being fantastic, hands on parents. I'm sure they did. But that generation didn't spend 24/7 with their children. They had specific times in the day where it was appropriate to spend time with the children, otherwise they were with nannies. It's not a jab to Phillip and Elizabeth as parents - their entire upper class generation was the same way. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, viii said:

I'm not saying they didn't have their moments of being fantastic, hands on parents. I'm sure they did. But that generation didn't spend 24/7 with their children. They had specific times in the day where it was appropriate to spend time with the children, otherwise they were with nannies. It's not a jab to Phillip and Elizabeth as parents - their entire upper class generation was the same way. 

You are talking about Victorian to Edwardian upper class parents and anyhow The Queen and her sister had Nannies but sure were not raised like that. 

She  was a young wife and mother who became a Queen too soon. She had to have Nannie’s out of necessity but made time, changed her schedule when she could and as I stated was with them quite a bit. The children also had various  aunts, cousins and both of their grandmothers with them for a short time before Princess Alice died. They definitely weren’t sequestered in an attic nursery 23 hours with Nanny. 

Just now, tabitha2 said:

You are talking about Victorian to Edwardian upper class parents and anyhow The Queen and her sister had Nannies but sure were not raised like that. 

She  was a young wife and mother who became a Queen too soon. She had to have Nannie’s out of necessity but made time, changed her schedule when she could and as I stated was with them quite a bit. The children also had various  aunts, cousins and both of their grandmothers with them for a short time before Princess Alice died. They definitely weren’t sequestered in an attic nursery 23 hours with Nanny. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

I've read the memoir written by "Crawfie", the Queen's nanny. Crawfie cared for Elizabeth and her sister for about 95% of the day. Elizabeth saw her parents the remaining time, usually this was bedtime. Elizabeth's parents sounded loving, but there were clearly defined times when they saw the kids. Most of the day, they did not.

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 1

Margaret Crawford was their teacher and governess. Of course they spent much time with her as they would have with the teachers if they had been sent to school. But hundreds of hours of home movies show family time.  Queen Mary also spent plenty of time with them FWIW.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Margaret Crawford was their teacher and governess. Of course they spent much time with her as they would have with the teachers if they had been sent to school. But hundreds of hours of home movies show family time.  Queen Mary also spent plenty of time with them FWIW.

Their parents didn't think school was that important for their girls (who'd never need to work). That was only a small part of Crawfie's job. She was their playmate (since they didn't have neighborhood playmates), their constant companion. She and another nanny took care of them from morning till night.  One nanny was not enough! That's how much time they were cared for by others.

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 1

Her mother was careless about her education why Queen Mary who valued learning much more was upset by. That all changed though when they knew she would be Queen. 

They did have various cousins and playmates so It’s not like they were isolated in a tower :)

Stop making everything so Victorian… of course they had a governess and a nanny.  Royal children still do because of the nature of their parents jobs but again we have plenty of evidence they spent a good amount time together as family. They  had friends their own age. 

We will  have to agree to disagree I suppose.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Her mother was careless about her education why Queen Mary who valued learning much more was upset by. That all changed though when they knew she would be Queen. 

They did have various cousins and playmates so It’s not like they were isolated in a tower :)

Stop making everything so Victorian… of course they had a governess and a nanny.  Royal children still do because of the nature of their parents jobs but again we have plenty of evidence they spent a good amount time together as family. They  had friends their own age. 

We will  have to agree to disagree I suppose.

While all the other children in the world are with their parents 24/7 according to this poster. Because of course. Only upper class parents aren’t. Thus the endless criticism.  All of us middle class people were with our parents 24/7. They didn’t work and we didn’t go to school. Nope. 24/7 family time. . 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 7

• Coconut Flan locked this topic