IGNORED

William & Kate

viii

19 minutes ago, prayawaythefundie said:

In the eyes of some they can‘t win, can they?

If they go to commonwealth realms, they are celebrating colonization. But if they hadn‘t gone, they would have neglected the people / didn‘t care enough. 

If they meet people who happen to be standing behind a fence, they should consider the images but if they hadn‘t walked over, it would have been a snub. 

If they hadn‘t danced in Belize they would have been boring and stiff royals but because they did, they must be trying to be someone they‘re not (Harry & Meghan, I have actually read that!)

Is she wears new / surprising clothes, she‘s nothing but a fashion doll or tries to outshine others but if she doesn‘t, she looks boring. 

If she wears expensive jewelry, she is wasteful but if she wears affordable pieces, she makes the event look unimportant.

Why doesn‘t she wear a tradional brand from one of the host countries? Maybe Because someone would scream cultural appropriation?

If he gives a speech he should remain completely neutral on politics but then he fails to address important issues. 

I could go on and it’s not just on royal tours but at home in the UK as well. It‘s ridiculous…

It's almost like their whole existence is outdated... 

• Upvote 7
  • Eyeroll 2
  • I Agree 5

1 hour ago, viii said:

It's almost like their whole existence is outdated... 

If they are so irrelevant, then why watch them so closely to be able to criticise every little detail?

• Upvote 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Love 2

45 minutes ago, prayawaythefundie said:

If they are so irrelevant, then why watch them so closely to be able to criticise every little detail?

I’m not very active in these threads anymore so I wouldn’t say I watch them closely. However, you can follow something without necessarily being a fan of it. I used to be a huge monarchist but as you grow up you really realize the whole concept of a royal family is archaic and outdated. Still fun to snark though 😏

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

Long after Kate’s wardrobe choices are forgotten two images will stay w/ me - the black children behind the fence pix & the video of Kate recoiling at being touched by a black woman.

• Eyeroll 4

She has also publicly recoiled from her own husband at times so people are gonna see what they want I suppose. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

30 minutes ago, sndral said:

Long after Kate’s wardrobe choices are forgotten two images will stay w/ me - the black children behind the fence pix & the video of Kate recoiling at being touched by a black woman.

The fence thing was misrepresented IMO. There’s lots of other pictures that show the area fenced off and William & Kate made a point to go greet them. 

The other Kate incident is open to interpretation. It looks like her attention was elsewhere and she was startled, but you can also see the narrative of her recoiling. I’ll give her the benefit of the doubt. 

• Upvote 5

While I agree, just slapping on whatever colour is on the flag is extremely predictable and lazy, I do think her fashion choices on the tour were actually nice. We have seen so much worse. Her hair though- all the flat middle parting is not exactly flattering.

I don’t get the problems everyone seems to create. The Jamaican plans will go ahead as planned, the other countries seem happy enough to keep the RF for now. No countries government seemed to be unhappy to host them and use them to promote their own agenda. If neither the UK nor Belize or the Bahamas have a problem with holding onto the monarchy, and the ones that don’t want them anymore can get rid of them, there is really no problem at all. In the end, W&K did tons of normal touristy stuff- visiting markets, enjoying cultural events, getting the odd jewellery or clothing piece. That’s not colonialism but tourism. If that’s not ok, all white people should stop doing that immediately (I am actually quite open to that. If it’s really such a problem I would have no quarrels to comply).

I think the RF as a whole wasn’t great at planning those tours this time though. W&K and their destination get much more attention than the rest and we see events at the same time, so naturally lots get overlooked. There is a clear message missing that ties it all together. The development of those countries, showcasing highlights (and the Jamaican plans could have been integrated in this narrative with a positive angle) through 70 years would have been a clear topic and put the focus slightly away from the fact that we talk about an anachronistic concept. A bit of an humble approach a la “we feel honoured to be witness to what you do and feel humbled that you want to share it with us (by keeping us)” would have gone down well too. 
I think it’s bad that planners haven’t ensured a more balanced reporting between the couples. We should have seen them all separately. Engagements tightly placed but after another so that we actually would be presented a cohesive picture of all them in their destinations, promoting those countries to an extent. It would have underlined that they still are somehow tied together historically- they all have the same HoS, but also are individual nations that change and develop. They should have made some arrangements, so that the tabloids report pretty equally on all of them to create this big PR product. Maybe even get a big ass documentary done. Just imagine how many parts it would have and what a document after HMTQ has died. So many missed chances here.

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, viii said:

I’m not very active in these threads anymore so I wouldn’t say I watch them closely. However, you can follow something without necessarily being a fan of it. I used to be a huge monarchist but as you grow up you really realize the whole concept of a royal family is archaic and outdated. Still fun to snark though 😏

Oh, so only those who share your opinion have grown up? I‘ll just let your words stand on their own here. 😎

Edited by prayawaythefundie
  • Confused 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Her hair though- all the flat middle parting is not exactly flattering.

Yes, I very much dislike middle parting. My gen Z students have informed me it shows I‘m old (millennial). 👵🏻

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

While I agree, just slapping on whatever colour is on the flag is extremely predictable and lazy, I do think her fashion choices on the tour were actually nice. We have seen so much worse. Her hair though- all the flat middle parting is not exactly flattering.

I don’t get the problems everyone seems to create. The Jamaican plans will go ahead as planned, the other countries seem happy enough to keep the RF for now. No countries government seemed to be unhappy to host them and use them to promote their own agenda. If neither the UK nor Belize or the Bahamas have a problem with holding onto the monarchy, and the ones that don’t want them anymore can get rid of them, there is really no problem at all. In the end, W&K did tons of normal touristy stuff- visiting markets, enjoying cultural events, getting the odd jewellery or clothing piece. That’s not colonialism but tourism. If that’s not ok, all white people should stop doing that immediately (I am actually quite open to that. If it’s really such a problem I would have no quarrels to comply).

I think the RF as a whole wasn’t great at planning those tours this time though. W&K and their destination get much more attention than the rest and we see events at the same time, so naturally lots get overlooked. There is a clear message missing that ties it all together. The development of those countries, showcasing highlights (and the Jamaican plans could have been integrated in this narrative with a positive angle) through 70 years would have been a clear topic and put the focus slightly away from the fact that we talk about an anachronistic concept. A bit of an humble approach a la “we feel honoured to be witness to what you do and feel humbled that you want to share it with us (by keeping us)” would have gone down well too. 
I think it’s bad that planners haven’t ensured a more balanced reporting between the couples. We should have seen them all separately. Engagements tightly placed but after another so that we actually would be presented a cohesive picture of all them in their destinations, promoting those countries to an extent. It would have underlined that they still are somehow tied together historically- they all have the same HoS, but also are individual nations that change and develop. They should have made some arrangements, so that the tabloids report pretty equally on all of them to create this big PR product. Maybe even get a big ass documentary done. Just imagine how many parts it would have and what a document after HMTQ has died. So many missed chances here.

Generally, the host country chooses the events for a tour. And if you mean scheduling to highlight Charles and Camilla’s Ireland trip as well, the time difference would have made that rather difficult. If you follow media that routinely covers the BRF, there was coverage of both. Those that don’t always go with the younger more photogenic family members regardless of how things are timed or presented. 

• Upvote 2

Anyone else think Kate seemed a little off at the memorial? Like, she had a huge grin in every single picture I've seen of her, outside of the service itself. Even when other people weren't smiling. 

• Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Anyone else think Kate seemed a little off at the memorial? Like, she had a huge grin in every single picture I've seen of her, outside of the service itself. Even when other people weren't smiling. 

That's another no-win. If she didn't she would be accused by someone of being too unhappy.  She smiled a bit on the way in and out. Big deal. What's off about that? She smiled while having Charlotte greet the archbishop, probably proud of how well she did as I expect these events are to help the kids learn how to handle these things that will be part of their life. She did not smile at the actual funeral last year. That would have seemed off. There are also photos of Bea, Eugenie, the Wessex family, Anne, Camilla and even the Queen with smiles--the Queen smiled in the direction of the Cambridge children when arriving inside; was "something off"? Anne and Camilla had a conversation with smiles inside. Was that "something off"? Is no one ever allowed to smile at a memorial? 

• Upvote 9

On 3/26/2022 at 4:45 PM, prayawaythefundie said:

Yes, I very much dislike middle parting. My gen Z students have informed me it shows I‘m old (millennial). 👵🏻

But I’ve been told that a side part is the middle aged female equivalent of a comb over! What do we dooooo???!!! 😩🤣

• Haha 1

My main issue with Kate that day was her bloody outfit. She looked like she was off to Ascot and it peeves me that the queen of matchy matchy Cambridge blue wore black and white polka dots while the rest of her family wore navy. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, adidas said:

But I’ve been told that a side part is the middle aged female equivalent of a comb over! What do we dooooo???!!! 😩🤣

That’s basically what they said. Our love for side parting and our skinny jeans scream millennial. Apparently we should embrace the middle part, I just can‘t. 😖

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Who cares?  

We don't know what kind of relationship they had.  He's her husband's grandfather, and I'm sure she wants to be a support to him, but she may have very little personal grief over this.  A close personal relationship with a grandfather-in-law isn't necessary.  Nice if it happens, but not necessary.  

Even if there is personal loss, she may have already done much of her grieving, and a formal public memorial isn't necessarily the place she would want to show a lot of emotion.  

Nothing wrong with her smiling even if others weren't.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sarcastically spinster said:

Who cares?  

We don't know what kind of relationship they had.  He's her husband's grandfather, and I'm sure she wants to be a support to him, but she may have very little personal grief over this.  A close personal relationship with a grandfather-in-law isn't necessary.  Nice if it happens, but not necessary.  

Even if there is personal loss, she may have already done much of her grieving, and a formal public memorial isn't necessarily the place she would want to show a lot of emotion.  

Nothing wrong with her smiling even if others weren't.  

She was not smiling at all at the funeral. But it’s been nearly a year   

And as I pointed out above, there are photos of many family members including the Queen herself smiling at this event. 

To me, that complaint is policing emotions which is really gross. 

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, viii said:

My main issue with Kate that day was her bloody outfit. She looked like she was off to Ascot and it peeves me that the queen of matchy matchy Cambridge blue wore black and white polka dots while the rest of her family wore navy. 

I really wish Kate would hire Meghan’s stylist. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Haha 3

It was not a sad ceremony.  All the uppity crusts Was chatting away and enjoying the mixed company and doubtless the older folks sharing stories about the man most of them were related to and respected and known for many decades and Phillip would have it wanted it that way. With his personality He would probably have come back and told them to stop the mourning and get on with the living if he could :) 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, DalmatianCat said:

I really wish Kate would hire Meghan’s stylist. 

Mismatched and now ill fitting as well?! Damn, what did Kate ever do to you! 🤣

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 4

11 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

That’s basically what they said. Our love for side parting and our skinny jeans scream millennial. Apparently we should embrace the middle part, I just can‘t. 😖

Ignore. If you look at the two big current trends (1) 90s revival with crocheted cat jumpers and oversized collars or (2) all beige in clothes and make up and oversized so almost everyone looks seriously ill and frumpy, you just know that in a couple of years time people will frantically delete those pictures of themselves. 
I rather look like a millennial than the horrible awkward young teenager version of myself or an Victorian asylum inmate. 

• Haha 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, viii said:

Mismatched and now ill fitting as well?! Damn, what did Kate ever do to you! 🤣

Lol…Meghan doesn’t hit it out of the ballpark everytime, but she usually looks more trendy then Kate. I think Kate as a person is gorgeous and she has some dazzling style moments. But then she’ll show up to several events looking straight out of the 1980s and I feel like her stylist has a vendetta against her. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 1

29 minutes ago, DalmatianCat said:

Lol…Meghan doesn’t hit it out of the ballpark everytime, but she usually looks more trendy then Kate. I think Kate as a person is gorgeous and she has some dazzling style moments. But then she’ll show up to several events looking straight out of the 1980s and I feel like her stylist has a vendetta against her. 

My only issue with Meghan's outfits are the fitting. They typically seem either too tight or altered for somebody else. The outfits themselves are usually fantastic though. Kate is usually quite safe and can be counted on for a predictable outfit, which is why her Caribbean tour was such a surprise and her look at the memorial was another huge miss. I thought she would have for sure whipped out a brand new dress coat that looks like the other 2398574 in her closet. 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, viii said:

My only issue with Meghan's outfits are the fitting. They typically seem either too tight or altered for somebody else. The outfits themselves are usually fantastic though. Kate is usually quite safe and can be counted on for a predictable outfit, which is why her Caribbean tour was such a surprise and her look at the memorial was another huge miss. I thought she would have for sure whipped out a brand new dress coat that looks like the other 2398574 in her closet. 

Meghan also tends to not dress for the event or the season. It's like she just pulls out something random. The visit in December 2018 to an actors' retirement home was a perfect example. Dead of winter and she showed up in a low backed pink dress with cap sleeves. It was also way too tight and not a maternity dress nor a style that accommodated a bump. She looked ridiculously out of place and out of season. Or Louis's christening in the middle of summer where she turned up in an olive green fall dress. Or the red suit in late summer NYC last September--about four sizes too big and way too warm for the weather. 

Kate can't use Meghan's stylist because it seems that she does not have one. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

Then there are the bad bra fittings underneath especially the strapless ones and the ones where the bra outline is very in your face.   Meghan either needs more mirrors or someone to explain proper fit.  

• Upvote 4
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • I Agree 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic