IGNORED

Dillards 88: 'Cause We're Living in a World of Fools

samurai_sarah

11 hours ago, Chewing Gum said:

Ah I see! That's funny yeah, Friesland is nowhere near Belgium.  

Yeah, they even said the name was Dutch. I remain confused. ?

58 minutes ago, marmalade said:

Yeah, they even said the name was Dutch. I remain confused. ?

Well since Friesland is a part of the Netherlands they aren't wrong, just not accurate.

Just for everyone's info, here's a map of The Netherlands with Friesland (top) and Belgium (obviously at the bottom). 

Maybe Jill doesn't know Belgium has two parts, one that speaks French and one that speaks sort-of-Dutch. 

Screenshot_20210306-080239_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 10

15 minutes ago, Chewing Gum said:

Well since Friesland is a part of the Netherlands they aren't wrong, just not accurate.

Just for everyone's info, here's a map of The Netherlands with Friesland (top) and Belgium (obviously at the bottom). 

Maybe Jill doesn't know Belgium has two parts, one that speaks French and one that speaks sort-of-Dutch. 

Screenshot_20210306-080239_Samsung Internet.jpg

I take (playful) issue with your 'sort-of-dutch'. We have just as A.N. as you do!?

I like the name though. It fits in with all the other 'sound' names we have: Seppe, Tuur, Sien, Joep, Jip, Miel, Senne etc

It's really interesting looking at the difference in name popularity between Flanders and the Netherlands too, becuase they are different. Emmas abound everywhere, but a Marie is probably Flemish and a Maud is probably Dutch.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 2

4 minutes ago, medimus said:

I take (playful) issue with your 'sort-of-dutch'. We have just as A.N. as you do!?

I like the name though. It fits in with all the other 'sound' names we have: Seppe, Tuur, Sien, Joep, Jip, Miel, Senne etc

It's really interesting looking at the difference in name popularity between Flanders and the Netherlands too, becuase they are different. Emmas abound everywhere, but a Marie is probably Flemish and a Maud is probably Dutch.

Sorry! My early morning head couldn't think of the word Flemish ?.

• Haha 7

4 hours ago, medimus said:

Funny that you name those names.

Tuur, Sien and Miel are very uncommon here in the Netherlands. And I am much closer to the Belgian border than Friesland.

Soundwise they would perfectly fit in the current popular names list but they are not. I see it also with Flemish tv I watch: there are some very big differences in names between the Netherlands and Flanders. And some other names are popular in both.

Edited by CarrotCake
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

19 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

Funny that you name those names.

Tuur, Sien and Miel are very uncommon here in the Netherlands. And I am much closer to the Belgian border than Friesland.

Soundwise they would perfectly fit in the current popular names list but they are not. I see it also with Flemish tv I watch: there are some very big differences in names between the Netherlands and Flanders. And some other names are popular in both.

I was going for a mix of Dutch and Flemish. Joep and Jip are barely ever heard in Flanders. I think Miel and Tuur are more popular here because they are traditional nicknames for Emile and Arthur: French names and French names are generally more popular in Flanders than in the Netherlands.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

so Derick's birthday is tomorrow, do you think the Duggar's will post about it. They did last year because of all the drama that was coming up at the time, but now it's pretty laxed. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 2

On 1/19/2021 at 11:17 AM, Kelsey said:

My vet once told me to dip my dogs paws in acv to help with bacterial infections caused by her chewing at her paws due to allergies. My dog was not having it one bit.

Old but this actually worked for me! My dog had a minor yeast infection on her paws. Straight ACV smelled too strong and I had a paper cut at the time, so I diluted until it no longer stung my human finger (1 part ACV to 2 parts water). I dipped my dog's paws in a little bowl of it once per day for three days and it was gone! I've done it once more as well. Vinegar in general will lower the pH of the paws so that yeast cannot thrive anymore. pH can affect bacteria as well, but obviously your dog has to tolerate it!

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

30 minutes ago, raayx01 said:

so Derick's birthday is tomorrow, do you think the Duggar's will post about it. They did last year because of all the drama that was coming up at the time, but now it's pretty laxed. 

It's a 50-50 chance that they will. I'm still irrationally annoyed that they never acknowledged John and Jana's birthdays.

• Upvote 5
  • Eyeroll 1

8 hours ago, becky_m2001 said:

It's a 50-50 chance that they will. I'm still irrationally annoyed that they never acknowledged John and Jana's birthdays.

That might confirm the theory that Jana runs the family instagram account, it could feel weird to wish yourself a happy birthday

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

On 3/6/2021 at 4:25 AM, CarrotCake said:

As a (non-native) French speaker, the name Miel sounds so funny to me. I would do a double take if I heard it.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 2

10 hours ago, indianabones said:

As a (non-native) French speaker, the name Miel sounds so funny to me. I would do a double take if I heard it.

Are you thinking of it as miel in french, like the word for honey? It sounds more like the second syllable in Emile, but with a longer eeeee sound.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

11 minutes ago, medimus said:

Are you thinking of it as miel in french, like the word for honey? It sounds more like the second syllable in Emile, but with a longer eeeee sound.

Yup.

I'm sure I'd get used to it, it would just be strange meeting someone with that name at first.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, indianabones said:

Yup.

I'm sure I'd get used to it, it would just be strange meeting someone with that name at first.

I think that happens with a lot of names. I have many international colleagues who make fun of my colleagues with Dutch-names-with-English-meanings.

Like Harm, Berry, Floor, Freek, Ruud (pronounce Rude). Thank god we don't have a Joke at the office, because it would be even more funny.  

Edited by CarrotCake
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, CarrotCake said:

I think that happens with a lot of names. I have many international colleagues who make fun of my colleagues with Dutch-names-with-English-meanings.

Like Harm, Berry, Floor, Freek, Ruud (pronounce Rude). Thank god we don't have a Joke at the office, because it would be even more funny.  

Lets not forget Dick..

1 minute ago, Dutch_girl said:

Lets not forget Dick..

Oh yes, we have a Dick in the office as well.

But at least that is also known as a (nick)name for English speaking colleagues. 

• Upvote 2

Derrick got some kind of diploma. I'm not familiar with the details of the American justice system, so I don't really know what this means. Anyone who can explain this to a Scandinavian?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMkQ3ilL-H7/

edit - photo for those who don't want to click on links: 

fullsizeoutput_762d.jpeg

Edited by xenobia
  • Upvote 8
  • Thank You 8

1 minute ago, xenobia said:

Derrick got some kind of diploma. I'm not familiar with the details of the American justice system, so I don't really know what this means. Anyone who can explain this to a Scandinavian?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMkQ3ilL-H7/

It’s a certificate that allows him to practice law through the school’s legal clinics. Many law students do this to get actual experience before they graduate. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 29
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, FaithAndReason said:

Looks like Derrick has adopted the Jim-Bob Duggar hair style. 

I think he did it to troll Boob...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 21

8 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

Poor Jill was just getting his man bun back, and now this. Alas.

His ‘man bun hair’ is still there ?. She cut it so it was short on sides but long on top.  This is so he could rock the man bun but also style it to look more professional.

This particular look is a choice and I honestly think it was meant to look like Boob’s helmet hair. He’s petty like that.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic