IGNORED

Lori Alexander 78: Still Doodling to Go Viral

On 12/24/2020 at 5:35 PM, Sarah92 said:

I thought about it too. My mom is legally blind without her glasses so I figured I’m heading that way too. My eye sight is bad enough that a document about a foot away is blurry. But I also love my glasses and have never really been self conscious about them outside of not liking them when going to formal occasions. So going through the expense is questionable to me. 

And, honey, your sight is not bad. A document a foot away from me isn’t blurry. It pretty much ceases to exist. So please stop. 

• WTF 3

20 hours ago, TeddyBonkers said:

In Lori news, today is her and Ken's 40th anniversary. She has written a screed about how hard life is, but it is easier with a man by one's side. Shockingly, nothing about how she loves Ken. He is a good provider, though, so that's what matters. 

She doesn't love him, has never loved him. He was a means to an end. The only reason they've been married this long is that CA is a community property state...it's cheaper to stay married. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 7

31 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

And, honey, your sight is not bad. A document a foot away from me isn’t blurry. It pretty much ceases to exist. So please stop. 

I’m sorry? I’m not sure which tone you intended that to be in but I don’t have to stop talking about my struggles with my eye sight. It impacts my functioning and without corrective glasses my quality of life would be very poor. I wasn’t really saying mine was the worst just that I knew it was most likely going to get worse because of genetics. Therefore, I was thinking of surgery to get my vision corrected. I am aware that others probably have far worse struggles than me and my heart breaks for them. 

I was not aware that legally blind only applied to those who’s vision could only be corrected to that extent. My mom was told by her doctor many years ago that she was legally blind. Perhaps terms have changed in 20 years I don’t know. She’d have never used that term if she wasn’t informed by a doctor. I’ll correct my language from now on. I am not someone to intentionally diminish the severity of someone’s struggles. 

• Upvote 12

@Sarah92It has always only referred to vision with correction.  And I can’t tell you how many times when I’ve had to explain why my mother needs assistance that people have announced “oh I am too without my contacts/glasses” and proceeded to question why she needs assistance especially because she wears glasses. The doctor didn’t know what he was talking about and should never be telling people that. 

Most moderately nearsighted people are unlikely to have their vision worsen past age 30 or so other than developing mild presbyopia.  You’re probably going  to be just fine.  I may be legally blind someday. I have a diagnosis that makes it very possible.  People fussing about vision better than 20/200 baffles me. Because you don’t know what truly bad vision is. I also rarely complain about something simple and routine like picking up a pair of glasses in the morning. I’m lucky my vision can be corrected as much as it can be (it’s under 20/20 and I have other issues that impair it that cannot be corrected). Count your blessings instead. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 1

On 12/20/2020 at 11:43 AM, feministxtian said:

Yeah, she and her commenters are all batshit crazy. DId y'all read the one about how men should only go for blue collar trade jobs? I'm not dissing those jobs, my dad was a blue collar worker for most of his life...BUT...we need doctors lawyers, scientists and other white collar professions too. 

I seriously just can't. 

Some folks of her ilk are opposed to any kind of material success. They seem to think Christians should always be struggling and living hand to mouth, and if they have enough or (perish the thought) MORE than they need, they're worldly. I used to have a fundie pastor who branded every financially successful ministry as "false teachers" or "apostate" and it took a while to realize he seemed to believe that financial success and doctrinal purity were mutually exclusive.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, feministxtian said:

She doesn't love him, has never loved him. He was a means to an end. The only reason they've been married this long is that CA is a community property state...it's cheaper to stay married. 

Her post was really interesting. She also didn’t share anything they enjoy doing together. Didn’t share anything warm or personally really. It’s very cold and sterile.

I also found it interesting that she shared the first male she ever had a close relationship was Ken. Like she shared before her dad basically had nothing to do with them but I was always curious as to how that changed when she was an adult.

• Upvote 8

50 minutes ago, brittbratkittykat said:

Her post was really interesting. She also didn’t share anything they enjoy doing together. Didn’t share anything warm or personally really. It’s very cold and sterile.

The one time I engaged Ken, he made this big deal over that they took a walk together every afternoon. I was kinda like, ummm....that's it? That's the only time you are together and communicate? He was holding this up as some sort of superior marital thing. Once again, these people have no idea what real intimacy is. They think it's a walk and conversation or sex. I really feel sorry for them, for all they're missing. Hell, I feel sorry for me now...Sleeping with a warm puppy is nice but not the same. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 2

44 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

The one time I engaged Ken, he made this big deal over that they took a walk together every afternoon. I was kinda like, ummm....that's it? That's the only time you are together and communicate? He was holding this up as some sort of superior marital thing. Once again, these people have no idea what real intimacy is. They think it's a walk and conversation or sex. I really feel sorry for them, for all they're missing. Hell, I feel sorry for me now...Sleeping with a warm puppy is nice but not the same. 

Yes the walks! Yes they go on walks and she makes salads And I guess nothing else.. I mean they really don’t and yet preach like they literal experts when there is zero evidence they have an actual close relationship with anyone. 
I feel sorry for them too. I’m also very much single but I have wonderful friends and while I do very much want a partner at some point I know I have close relationships elsewhere. These two are both cold as ice. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

I don't think they have any close relationships, not even with their kids. Lori seems to be very closed off emotionally and Ken's just along for the ride. I couldn't live that way. I mean, I'm single now, but I have close relationships with family and friends that are important to me. I have ongoing text conversations with my sister in law and one bonus daughter that have been going on literally for years! The rest of my kids...well...I live with one (sort of) and the other one is on the other side of town. I talk with my grandchildren almost daily, my friends back in Vegas, etc. Then there's y'all! 

This is why, when I read about some young women who may be following her blog, I make sure I clue them in that she's full of bullshit. I have screen shots and links saved...hey...it works!!!

• Upvote 9

11 hours ago, louisa05 said:

Most moderately nearsighted people are unlikely to have their vision worsen past age 30 or so other than developing mild presbyopia.  You’re probably going  to be just fine.  I may be legally blind someday. I have a diagnosis that makes it very possible.  People fussing about vision better than 20/200 baffles me. Because you don’t know what truly bad vision is. I also rarely complain about something simple and routine like picking up a pair of glasses in the morning. I’m lucky my vision can be corrected as much as it can be (it’s under 20/20 and I have other issues that impair it that cannot be corrected). Count your blessings instead. 

Honestly, that's why I've never understood LASIK for people with correctable vision. You'd risk your eyes with a laser simply because it's a pain to put on glasses or contacts? My daughter's teacher had permanent double vision from LASIK. We live in a strange world indeed where wearing glasses is considered a "problem" requiring laser surgery to the eye. I know people who would kill to have glasses that corrected their vision to nearly perfect.

• Fuck You 1
  • Downvote 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Jackie3 said:

Honestly, that's why I've never understood LASIK for people with correctable vision. You'd risk your eyes with a laser simply because it's a pain to put on glasses or contacts? My daughter's teacher had permanent double vision from LASIK. We live in a strange world indeed where wearing glasses is considered a "problem" requiring laser surgery to the eye. I know people who would kill to have glasses that corrected their vision to nearly perfect.

I absolutely hate wearing glasses. It makes me feel like a.) I'm still in my pajamas, b.) my face is greasy aF. There is nothing I can do about it. I put on glasses and my face immediately turns into a greasy ball of grease. I fucking hate glasses with a passion. I can't see out the sides. So I wear contacts most off the time. It's OK, I guess. But if I want to go backpacking, I have to bring along a contact case, contact solution, and a way to clean my hands. That's more weight. So I can't do the eco-challenge. All because I have astigmatism. I hate the way I feel like I'm hiding away behind my glasses. It's gross and uncomfortable for me. 

So sTFu. It is a pain. 

If I try to run in glasses, they fog up if there is any sort of moisture. Why the fuck should I give up my best times on a marathon or half marathon because some dumb person thinks I should just "wear glasses" even though if I put them on I can't see due to fogging, and if I take them off, i can't see due to lack of corrective vision.  They bounce, they are uncomfortable. They suck. 

Contacts aren't great when outdoors. They get dirt. They fog up. They slide around. They require me to touch my eyes, which means I have to have access to running water. So FUCK YOU and your bullshit about LaSIK. 

LASIK gives people their lives back. People can backpack again. They can wake up and not have to worry about contacts. Kind of sounds like you've never had restrictive vision if you are going to shit on those who want to get LASIK. 

• Upvote 4
  • Fuck You 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1

21 hours ago, brittbratkittykat said:

I also found it interesting that she shared the first male she ever had a close relationship was Ken. Like she shared before her dad basically had nothing to do with them but I was always curious as to how that changed when she was an adult.

In the past she also mentions that growing up she never had any close friends, kids made fun of her, didn't like sleepovers and her parents had to pick her up, etc.   The only person she ever talks about being close to was her mother and even then, she frequently criticizes her/the way she was brought up ("not enough boundaries" "not teaching her biblical womanhood" etc).  

I think the issue (not new to any of you who have been following her for awhile) is with Lori.  She has some sort of missing personality trait. She mentions her sisters were warm and friendly and lots of friends.  I think that is also why Lori has adopted this severe set of extra-biblical, life-rules etc, rails against emotions etc...because emotions of any kind with anyone (male or female) are just so foreign to her.

• Upvote 15
  • Love 1

46 minutes ago, SongRed7 said:

In the past she also mentions that growing up she never had any close friends, kids made fun of her, didn't like sleepovers and her parents had to pick her up, etc.   The only person she ever talks about being close to was her mother and even then, she frequently criticizes her/the way she was brought up ("not enough boundaries" "not teaching her biblical womanhood" etc).  

I think the issue (not new to any of you who have been following her for awhile) is with Lori.  She has some sort of missing personality trait. She mentions her sisters were warm and friendly and lots of friends.  I think that is also why Lori has adopted this severe set of extra-biblical, life-rules etc, rails against emotions etc...because emotions of any kind with anyone (male or female) are just so foreign to her.

Lori loves to blame everyone but herself. That is a problem. She is the problem but won’t admit it. Her mom could have been Lori’s definition of a biblical wife/mother and she still wouldn’t have been good enough. Maybe if her parents had made her get a job instead of college. Or made her work to pay for school her tune would change. She has always been entitled and never had to work for anything. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4

50 minutes ago, SongRed7 said:

All very true. I also think she simply loves to boss people around, control people and diminish them in any way possible. Even now, when she’s supposedly taking a “break” from social media, there’s been no break. She can no longer boss around Ken, or her kids, or her sisters. All that’s left is her social media audience.  And I think that need to control stems from her own lack of self esteem, not that she would ever admit it.  But she needs to face it...she was a failure as a friend, as a teacher, as a wife for many many years, certainly as a mother. She knows she’s lazy and dumb and incompetent; the Bible has provided her 1) an excuse, and 2) a way to feel superior. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, SongRed7 said:

Except that she has also talked about hanging out with friends, was a cheerleader in school and was crowned either homecoming queen or prom queen (forgive me for not recalling which one). She wants attention, good or bad. She wants people to believe she is hated and "persecuted", yet she also desperately wants to be liked. Problem is that she just not likeable and cannot take any heat back at her. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

Lasik vs glasses/contacts. My daughter has horrible vision. Yes, she can wear contacts or coke bottle bottom glasses and have her vision corrected to close to 20/20. However, w/o those things she cannot see. First thing in the morning she either has to find her glasses (easy to do when you can't see shit) or stumble into the bathroom to stick her finger in her eyes. She is planning to get Lasik this year. If I had the $$ I'd pay for it myself. 

So...to @Jackie3 fuck you and the horse you rode in on...and yes, I'd say the same damn thing if you were standing in front of me. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

15 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

As someone who's had LASIK, and can now see further than literally two inches in front of my eyes, I can tell you, it's not just about "correctable." It's about "what happens if there's a car accident and my glasses are thrown from my face and I can't find them OR my child"? It's an exhausted mom sleeping with glasses mashing into her eyes so that when her newborn cries in the night she can see well enough to change a diaper. Also I know someone who used to be sick all the time and post-LASIK was suddenly healthier than ever. Turns out even if you wash your hands every time you deal with your contacts, you're going to introduce germs - a lot of germs - into your body. So no, it's not just a "laziness" issue. It's a matter of being able to live one's life without fear, without relying on those coke-bottle lenses as if they're a matter of life or death - because they quite literally are.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 5

A few years ago, I was running a trail race. We were having a windstorm. I was doing great, having fun, there was no mud (I hate mud, which I guess makes me outlyer among trail running types). The wind dried out my eyes, I blinked, and lost a contact. A kilometer later, I lost the other one. I had no back ups on me, I had no way of way finding. I basically had to hope my phone could find service so I could call someone to bring me my glasses so I could get home. I only made it out of the woods because I knew where I was and had run there before. It was weird and scary to be lost and unable to see more than a few feet ahead. That was the day I realized Lasik was in my future. Even if it declines eventually, or still needs correction, that's better than "I'm unable to participate in sports that I enjoy" or "dying in the woods behind a high school because I thought a bear was a rock" 

• Upvote 7

19 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

You don't have to understand.  You also don't have to belittle medical choices that people make about their own bodies.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1

20 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

When I was 19 I read about experimental vision correction surgery in Russia and I knew it would be commonplace one day and I would have it. I did, at age 34, and it changed my life. Sports are horrible with glasses, as someone mentioned, especially outdoors and extra especially outdoors in winter or water sports. 

If you have never had extremely bad vision, your opinion is very myopic. ?

• Upvote 7

Re:  the LASIK discussion...I mentioned that I started wearing glasses at 7. I probably should have been wearing them at a younger age, but no one realized there was a need until I copied math problems from the board in second grade and got most of them wrong, simply because I had copied them down wrong. Within a year, I could no longer find my glasses if they weren’t on my face or on my nightstand. I was an avid reader, frequently falling asleep reading at night. My mom would have to come in and search for my glasses because I was afraid to move out of bed, afraid I’d break them (a mortal sin). For me, the day came when I was motorcycling and the wind blew a contact off my eye at 65mph. That terrified me, and is what pushed me to have the procedure done. 

As I’ve said, it was never great. I had one eye done twice, and that left me with mono vision. But it was still a thrill to lay in bed and be able to see the TV at night. I had for 10 years what some people have always had, and am glad I got to experience that. I’m just sorry it regressed, and left me with an irregular astigmatism that means I’ll be in hard contacts until I die.  Still, as bad as my vision is now, it is still a lot better than it was before LASIK. I could find my way out of a burning building if I had to, I don’t walk into walls going to the bathroom, and, when I drop a contact on the bathroom floor, I can find it myself.  

Edited by HoneyBunny
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 2

On 12/29/2020 at 12:10 AM, Maggie Mae said:

LASIK gives people their lives back. People can backpack again. They can wake up and not have to worry about contacts. Kind of sounds like you've never had restrictive vision if you are going to shit on those who want to get LASIK. 

I have poor vision and wear contacts. I'd never do Lasik. That's my opinion. People have different opinions. Don't let it fluster you so much!

If you "don't have a life" because you need glasses, then you are definitely a member of the First World Problem Club. Yay, you can backpack and get an extra good marathon time! 

I've worked with Guide Dogs for the Blind, caring for puppies who will eventually guide the vision impaired. *Their* poor vision makes it hard to earn a living or walk to the store--yet I never heard one complain as much as you just did.

I've gone to the graduation ceremony, where the visually impaired are given their new guide dogs. I wish you could see how happy they are--now they can rely on a dog's vision to help them get around. They are so grateful, and their lives are vastly improved.  If you could see this, I doubt that you'd feel you "had no life" without lasik. If glasses cure a blind person's vision,  I suspect they'd happily backpack with them on.  Perspective is everything.

On 12/29/2020 at 12:22 PM, feministxtian said:

So...to @Jackie3 fuck you and the horse you rode in on...and yes, I'd say the same damn thing if you were standing in front of me. 

You're adorable. I'm fine with different opinions.

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 2
  • Downvote 4
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 1

I've worn glasses since the age of 9 months.   (I'm 62 now).  There are some funny pictures of me at 9 months, no hair, and  wearing glasses.  I had eye surgery when I was 5, but it didn't completely correct my vision.  My vision problem can't be solved by Lasik, and I've tried contacts, but they were always uncomfortable.

I can't drive or read at all without glasses.  I have always been very careful with them, especially as a child.  That meant  that I was absolutely paranoid about any games that involved balls.  As an adult I have always kept an extra pair in my purse and in the car at all times.  This can get expensive, but it is scary to think about breaking the ones I'm wearing without a back up.   I wear a mask all day every day at work.  I've had to buy special clips to attach to the topi of every mask so that my glasses don't fog up. 

Ironically, my sister worked at a school for the blind for 40 years. Over the years of her career I learned a lot about the blind and how many cope.  I always felt so lucky to have the relatively minor vision problems I've had.  

I wish I could have vision correction surgery, but I can't.  Glasses have always been part of who I am despite the many annoyances of a lifetime of wearing them.    The most annoying times were when I was a teenager and some unthinking and shallow adult would tell me how much more attractive I would be without glasses.   I work with teenagers, and I never say anything about anyone's physical appearance (good or bad)  because I was always so irritated by people who said that to me.   

• Upvote 4
  • Love 11

• Coconut Flan locked this topic