IGNORED

Meghan and Harry 4: Working for Netflix

Coconut Flan

Archie outranks Andrew, Anne and Edward in the order of succession. If they get protection, despite not being direct heirs, I would think Archie ought to, especially if there is a risk to him (and there no doubt is), working royal or not. 

And Beatrice and Eugenie only stopped getting royal protection in 2011, which as I recall was around when number of different rules about the Royal Family started getting changed, not just the rules about primogeniture. I know certain things were limited to the first 6 individuals in the line of succession. 

Again, things can change as the situation demands. Archie, as the son of one of the most senior royal members, and one of the most popular of them at that, being at risk for all sorts of horrible things seems like a good reason to make a change. 

Edited by anjulibai
  • Upvote 21

26 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Again, in terms of Rank he is not particularly important to the Royals institution 

Good thing they saved the expense of giving him security, then.  His life is clearly worth less than that of his cousins, and I hope they rejoin the BRF so he can grow up with the idea that his life is worth less than others due to the birth order of his father.

That's healthy and normal, right?

• Upvote 18
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Given everything they said in the interview, about conversations about Archie's skin color and the comments bout him in the press, I get why they don't show many pictures of him, and the ones they do are not clear. I would not want my child to be commented on like that, or have his image used to degrade him. 

They probably put some stuff out because they know there are people out there that genuinely wish them all well, and just like cute kid pics. 

I read a quote from a royal report that said that if Harry and Meghan came back and brought there kids out for pictures, all would be well, but why would anyone want to subject their kid to that sort of vitriol?

Edited by anjulibai
  • Upvote 20
  • I Agree 1

Oprah revelations part two, and my reactions, FWIW. Harry’s joined us now.

- Meghan watched “The Little Mermaid” and seeing Ariel get her voice back cheered her up.

- Harry looks a lot like Charles now.

- This is their last baby. They’re pretty definite about it. Meghan won’t narrow down the due date beyond “summertime.” My guess is June.

- Harry was shocked that he was expected to pay for his own security after they left for Canada. Please. How does he not see that that’s perfectly reasonable?

- They seem to have wanted Eugenie’s life: not much fuss or publicity; a real job (I’m not sure if she’s working at the moment, but she has); and still a princess. 

- Harry is clearly haunted by everything that happened to his mother, culminating in her death. Sad for him, but it’s good that he’s aware of the real risks for Meghan.

- They left both to get away from the press and because they weren’t supported by the Firm.

- Charles stopped taking Harry’s calls, a long-standing cowardly habit of his that he’s used on many people, including Camilla at one point when the Firm had pressured him into giving him up.

- Harry didn’t tell other family members that Meghan needed mental health support. Oprah actually asked why not, which shows that she doesn’t know much about the proverbial stiff upper lip. Harry realized that the race element made it not just about Meghan.

- Harry makes it clear that the family is terrified of the tabloids. (Oprah doesn’t seem to get why they care.) This is possibly the most interesting part of the interview. Harry says that the Royals “wine and dine” the tabloids, and Meghan adds that they have holiday parties at the palace. Oprah doesn’t ask why they didn’t do that; presumably Harry won’t play ball because of what happened to Diana.

- The family liked Meghan at first, but not so much after she did well on her tour of Australia. Just like Diana! They confirm that they have seen The Crown, but don’t say more (James Corden did better there).

- Did they want it both ways? Harry complains about losing his security again and doesn’t answer the question. Oprah, ask a follow-up!

- Did Meghan manipulate Harry into leaving the family? No, they thought they would be in the family forever. Meghan complains about how she wasn’t prepared, and talks about how she was desperately preparing behind the scenes.

- Harry felt trapped as a Royal, and thinks his father and brother are trapped too. 

- Harry says he was cut off financially in the first quarter of 2020. Diana’s money allowed them to do this. Harry thinks she saw it coming, and he’s felt her presence during this.

- Harry’s closer to his grandmother than ever. (He told James Corden that he does Zoom calls with Philip.) Charles is taking his calls again, but “there’s a lot to work through there. I feel really let down.” [This is up there with the interviews that ended his parents’ marriage. This is their karma.] Harry’s trying to educate his family (who I suspect are collectively rolling their eyes). On William, Harry trots out the “different paths” line again.

- They did everything they could to be respectful and protective of the Royal family during the exit process. (Uh-huh.)

- Meghan called the Queen when she heard Philip was in the hospital. They talk about being less nervous [because she isn’t their boss anymore]. Personally I think that the few mentions of Philip are probably because prior to the pandemic he was living in secluded retirement at Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate.

- Harry has no regrets. Meghan regrets believing that she would be protected. This is their beginning, and their happy ending. They saved each other. Harry talks about “other forces,” probably meaning Diana.

Harry looked middle-aged in this interview, but he was smoking hot in the exercise segment of the Corden interview.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 8

5 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Harry was shocked that he was expected to pay for his own security after they left for Canada. Please. How does he not see that that’s perfectly reasonable?

I don’t think it is reasonable, though. He was born into this life of being a prince and cannot change that. He is one of the most famous people in the world, simply by being born. They pay security for a lot lesser royals so even if he stepped back, I don’t think it was unreasonable to assume they’d continue to pay for his security. Cutting him off and throwing him to the wolves seems petty. 

• Upvote 10
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • I Agree 7

20 minutes ago, viii said:

I don’t think it is reasonable, though. He was born into this life of being a prince and cannot change that. He is one of the most famous people in the world, simply by being born. They pay security for a lot lesser royals so even if he stepped back, I don’t think it was unreasonable to assume they’d continue to pay for his security. Cutting him off and throwing him to the wolves seems petty. 

I didn't watch the interview but I'm wondering if he said it in a way that was less, "I left my job that requires security, and I'm shocked that was taken away from me," and he meant it more like, "My family knows how much security we will need all our lives and I'm shocked they were the ones who took that away from me." I can't wait until it's up on youtube or something and I can watch it for myself. I'm just sitting here reading everyone else's comments like ?:popcorn2:

Edited by meep
  • Upvote 10

20 minutes ago, viii said:

I agree.  He didn't choose to be born into a life so public he needs security for his wife and child.  And to preemptive respond to the "if he wanted protection he should have stayed a working royal" hand waving that's probably coming, no one should have to stay at a job they find toxic just to maintain basic safety for themselves and their family.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 6

1 minute ago, meep said:

I didn't watch the interview but I'm wondering if he said it in a way that was less, "I left my job that requires security, and I'm shocked that was taken away from me," and he meant it more like, "My family knows how much security we will need all our lives and I'm shocked they were the ones who took that away from me." I can't wait until it's up on youtube or something and I can watch it for myself. I'm just sitting here reading everyone else's comments like ?:popcorn2:

The latter is how I took it. 

It's an especially petty move given that them leaving was because they just did not feel safe and protected enough. 

That was really kind of Tyler Perry to pay for their security, in addition to letting them stay at his place. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

On 3/5/2021 at 4:40 PM, louisa05 said:

No one accused her of bullying friends or colleagues. The very credible accusations are of bullying employees. 

Her former longtime makeup artist released a statement in support. 
https://pagesix.com/2021/03/05/meghan-markles-makeup-artist-shows-support-amid-bullying-claims/

Edited by The Mother Dust
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

I do understand why Harry was shocked, but the fact is that the non-working royals don’t get security. They didn’t provide it for the duke of Windsor, who could easily have been an IRA target (his contemporary and close friend Lord Mountbatten was killed by the IRA). The only recent comparable figure is Diana, but she paid for her own (ultimately crappy) security because she believed (probably correctly) that her British security spied on her.

• Upvote 8

I think not giving the Duke of Windsor security was pretty petty, too, as loathsome as he was. 

*shrug*

• Upvote 3

I have thoughts on the supposed comments on Archie's skin colour.  Whenever a baby is expected, people speculate on what attributes it will inherit from each parent. And when one parent is a blue-eyed, pale-skinned redhead, and the other is dark-eyed, dark-haired, and olive-skinned, with a biracial heritage, it would be pretty likely for someone to comment on the potential features a child might inherit out of that genetic melting pot.  Speculating that Archie might be dark-skinned isn't racist, IMO, anymore than speculating that he might have red hair, or blue or brown eyes.  

My 2 cents worth.  Don't shoot me. 

Edited by truthseeker
adding stuff
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3
  • Bless Your Heart 5

It’s done. My thoughts on the interview:

It wasn’t as shocking as predicted, but still shows a pretty sad picture of the events that happened. 
I did not think Meghan was struggling to THAT extreme. I am really sorry for her, and the she should have gotten help ASAP. It’s really strange. After Diana and both Princes publicly talking about receiving therapy this shouldn’t be a problem at all. 
I always supported their decision to leave (even though their first announcements didn’t read like leaving at all) but criticised the way to went about it.

The racist comments about his skin are unforgivable. Sadly, I am not surprised. I would like to think it was down to unbiased racism (in a oh let’s see, it will be interesting) but I wouldn’t put it past some of the older and/or removed members to give it an openly dismissive meaning.

I am very surprised about the direct attacks at PC. Not taking their calls sounds very much like his MO, but I thought they wouldn’t go into details.

What I don’t believe for one second, is that she had no idea who Harry was. Especially when she had met Eugenie first. She lived in Canada and spent quite some time in the UK. 
And if she was caught by surprise by protocol (curtsying to the Queen even in private) this is completely Harry’s fault. Telling here mere minutes before? Not making sure she knew how to do it and that he was serious about it? Why would he set her up like this?

And what is going on with the title? They announced they refused one. Now, the Queen decided there wouldn’t be one- which by the way was no surprise to long term royal watchers. The York princesses only have it because their father threw a fit and in my POV they are girls. Princesses sell, a third and fourth Prince just doesn’t. Archie and his sister would get it when Charles ascends, but I believe the BRF will go the same route as most European royals and it will only be the direct heirs from them on. Charlotte and Louis will loose their HRH at one point too.

My conclusion about the whole thing is: Meghan was thrown into the deep end by Harry. Instead of swimming- she drowned. Thankfully, they stepped back. But Harry was obviously completely ignorant to his personal status so he was deluded into what he would get. Whining about having to pay for his own security with his own millions is absurd. Especially as there have been quite some examples been made in the last ten years.

Meghan wasn’t prepared for the situation at all. I am very sorry this happened- but I do lay a lot of fault at Harry’s door. He knew what was coming for her. He probably wanted out too and this was his big chance. I mean he says he (and his father and brother) was trapped but they also didn’t think they would leave the family? 

All in all there wasn’t much new to be revealed and even the accusations aren’t as shocking as it was made out to be (apart from her suicidal thoughts). Maybe to someone who hasn’t been watching the BRF for a long time, but to me it just sounds exactly as to what one would have expected. ?‍♀️

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 4

I've related to Meghan a LOT ever since she married Harry, and all the vitriol towards her has been pretty triggering for me; probably because of my own family issues that I'm working through. Basically, I know what it's like to be a scapegoat and I can only imagine how horrible it was on a larger scale. I can only hope that doing the interview felt as validating for her as watching it did for me.

I hope that they can learn to ignore Buckingham Palace and not let their press releases and royal household "leaks" get to them so much.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 8

7 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Good thing they saved the expense of giving him security, then.  His life is clearly worth less than that of his cousins, and I hope they rejoin the BRF so he can grow up with the idea that his life is worth less than others due to the birth order of his father.

That's healthy and normal, right?

Alright. Beatrice and Eugenie and James and Louise all get security paid for by their respective parents and  Harry and Nut Meg can do the exact same.Problem  solved! 

And you are confusing Life worth and how rank and hierarchy works... He is not more or less important than his cousins in terms of the Windsor family itself but the Cambridge kids out rank him in the system and That’s just how it is. In the service A Sargent no matter how popular or worthy can’t just demand the privileges of a General. 

Edited by tabitha2
  • Downvote 18
  • Disgust 1
  • WTF 1

59 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Harry and Nut Meg 

Really?   And this why people have no difficulties believing that Meghan was subjected to all sorts of racist crap.  It’s the tired old “angry/dramatic black woman” trope again.  

• Upvote 15
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 10

I mean...You mentioned race. I never said a thing about that in any of my posts.. But she is more white than black anyway correct?  So bi racial not black or white.

• Fuck You 1
  • Downvote 19
  • Eyeroll 1
  • WTF 3

Yeah, race doesn't play an issue at all. /s

Edited by anjulibai
  • Upvote 13
  • Love 4

@tabitha2 your racism and hatred shows how ugly you are as a person. Discussing the royals here is supposed to be a fun, educating and lighthearted discussion. Your views disgust me. 

• Upvote 14
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 8
  • Thank You 3

9 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Archie outranks Andrew, Anne and Edward in the order of succession. If they get protection, despite not being direct heirs, I would think Archie ought to, especially if there is a risk to him (and there no doubt is), working royal or not. 

And Beatrice and Eugenie only stopped getting royal protection in 2011, which as I recall was around when number of different rules about the Royal Family started getting changed, not just the rules about primogeniture. I know certain things were limited to the first 6 individuals in the line of succession. 

Again, things can change as the situation demands. Archie, as the son of one of the most senior royal members, and one of the most popular of them at that, being at risk for all sorts of horrible things seems like a good reason to make a change. 

I’m pondering this security thing...did Princess Margaret’s children receive security? I’m pretty sure Lady Sarah Chatto no longer receives security and her position is where Archie and Baby Girl Sussex will eventually end up as cousins to the monarch if/when George becomes king. 
Also...why did Harry think he wouldn’t have to pay for security when he was no longer working for the monarchy? He has plenty of money. This is what makes me think he still has no idea what it is to be “normal” and have to scrimp and save to make ends meet. He, Meghan, and his children will never truly want for anything (unless he develops some sort of massive gambling addiction).

• Upvote 7

What I took from the interview is that they had conversations for years and were ignored. The water was turned on and slowly came to a boil so to speak. The hate & racist crap didn't start when they dated; it accumulated over time.

I also think it was interesting how Americans see royalty as celebrities because that is very much how they are portrayed over here, right? We don't have "Royalty" in that sense so it's hard for us to understand these ancient (arguably outdated) rules & rituals.  Meghan even said she was surprised she had to curtsy in private to the queen which, honestly, I would too. I assumed a lot of the formality that we see on TV would not be as intense behind closed doors.

• Upvote 12

20 minutes ago, kachuu said:

Meghan even said she was surprised she had to curtsy in private to the queen which, honestly, I would too. I assumed a lot of the formality that we see on TV would not be as intense behind closed doors.

I have followed royalty for years but even I had a moment while watching the Crown where I was surprised that they curtsied in private and whatnot. I think I probably would have googled it beforehand meeting the Queen, but I can see how Meghan thought it was public fanfare. I don't personally believe the narrative that she was really unaware of Harry, I think that's perhaps a bit exaggerated. 

The whole mental health thing is concerning, though. I really admired William and Kate with their initiative in mental health, but the fact that Meghan was so blatantly and repeatedly denied help to the point she had to go to engagements because she couldn't be trusted to be alone... that's huge. That undermines their cause in a huge way and shows that William especially is all talk and ZERO action. I don't think this interview is going to help repair Harry's relationship with his brother, but nor should it necessarily, not if that's going to be William's stance. (And you can't tell me when they mentioned going to senior members for help that William wasn't one of them or wasn't part of the discussion)

• Upvote 11

1. I think H&M asked for help because of racial abuse and they were scared for the baby. Help may have also meant security. They may have asked for safety from racial abuse and may have been told NO. This was a huge opportunity for the BRF to further modernize by leading a path forward out of their racist history. They really dropped the ball. 

2. Oprah confirmed on CBS this morning that it was NOT Phillip (or the Queen) having conversations regarding Archie's skin color.

• Upvote 13
  • Thank You 2

When the color of Archie's skin was brought up, I 100% thought Oprah would bring up that disgusting tweet about the chimpanzee. I MEAN COME ON. The racial hate could not be more blatant.

I've had to google the tabloids in the UK about Meghan and they are absolute vile.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic