IGNORED

Alyssa and John 7: Laura Ingalls, Something, Something...

samurai_sarah

@Johannah no dead parents, but disinterested grouchy father and absent suffragette mother! And at the end, the nanny leaves them, and the family has learned to be together. So, correct, no death, but still still the absence of parents at the beginning. There are many Disney/Pixar movies without specific parent death, so in my op it’s not overdone, and when they do use it, it’s done well. Zootopia, toy story 4, incredibles, wreck it Ralph, and inside out don’t have death as their “loss,” while coco, frozen, onward, and moana start with a death. I’m not so much defending Disney as just stating that death as a plot point isn’t cliche, it’s classic, and I think Disney has a good balance! 

Edited by kmachete14
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, OrchidBlossom said:

Interesting. This answer still leaves room for "wow, another baby what a surprise!" but it's a closer nod to any plan to limit fertility than we have heard from a Bates, so.

I’ll believe it when I see it... 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 18

Disney has already sweetened those stories up to be honest. Originally fairytales are not some feel good, sleep well stories. Most are pretty brutal and cruel (especially from today’s point of view). I mean the original fairy is a pretty wicked creature. They also weren’t exclusively targeted at children. Grimms tales are stories people told for entertainment- like a thriller or crime program nowadays. And Grimms are not even the worst. Hans Christian Anderson is a whole other level in terms of heartbreak and being devastating (the Christmas tree, the little mermaid, and the worst of them all: the girl with the matchstick- still bothers me deeply till today). I found the death of parent characters always hard as a child but if they were already absent when the story starts it was ok. 

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

Alyssa's IG shows she has a lot of the family at her house now.  Addie, Trace, Gil, Kelly, are the ones that I saw.  Did I miss any? 

• Upvote 5

38 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

Alyssa's IG shows she has a lot of the family at her house now.  Addie, Trace, Gil, Kelly, are the ones that I saw.  Did I miss any? 

I saw Ellie and Jeb too. And in Trace IG storys Isaiah. So all the minor kids.

• Upvote 4

Msrp Poppins stands out as one of the rare times I liked a book less than the movie. Mary Poppins is just less likeable in the book.  I recommend Inside Out as being very sweet and clever and not scary.  The Incredibles was just so well done as a movie. 

• Upvote 7

35 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

Msrp Poppins stands out as one of the rare times I liked a book less than the movie. Mary Poppins is just less likeable in the book. 

I actually loved the books, and don't particularly care for the film. The only song I ever liked was the sister suffragette one, and I was terrified as a kid during the bank/bird lady stuff. It's been a long time since I read the books, though.  

35 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I recommend Inside Out as being very sweet and clever and not scary.  The Incredibles was just so well done as a movie. 

Inside out was one of those films I watched and was sad that it didn't exist when I was a kid. I could have used that movie when I was 13.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

On 11/20/2020 at 6:06 PM, Maggie Mae said:

They don't have the Studio Ghibli films, though, which seems odd because some were released by Disney. 

Quite a few of the Studio Ghibli films are on Netflix, at least in the UK

• Upvote 4

On 11/20/2020 at 10:41 AM, purple_summer said:

I don’t like Taylor swift as a person or an artist. We’re way less than 6 degrees separated and she’s pretty terrible in real life. 

Interesting. You aren’t the first person I’ve heard say this. A classmate said a friend of hers knows Taylor Swift. This was when she was first releasing records and talked about how she had no friends in school. This classmate said her friend said there was a reason Taylor Swift had no friends. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Knight of Ni said:

Interesting. You aren’t the first person I’ve heard say this. A classmate said a friend of hers knows Taylor Swift. This was when she was first releasing records and talked about how she had no friends in school. This classmate said her friend said there was a reason Taylor Swift had no friends. 

I've heard the same, I mean to be fair most kids are kind of terrible and many grow out of it but idk when @purple_summer knew/knows her so.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, OrchidBlossom said:

I've heard the same, I mean to be fair most kids are kind of terrible and many grow out of it but idk when @purple_summer knew/knows her so.

My main relation to her is as an adult although there are some more distant relations to her in HS (we’re similar in age). She didn’t grow out of it. The tl;dr is everything she complains about re: her masters/old label/etc is bullshit. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/25/2020 at 8:11 PM, purple_summer said:

My main relation to her is as an adult although there are some more distant relations to her in HS (we’re similar in age). She didn’t grow out of it. The tl;dr is everything she complains about re: her masters/old label/etc is bullshit. 

Interesting! Thanks for the insight.

• Upvote 1

This week’s video they buy a Christmas tree.  During tree shopping Alyssa said something (in response to some memory of John’s from childhood) that growing up (her family) didn’t buy Christmas trees.  But Mama Jane had one. 

my question was, gee was that some sort of Christmas trees are pagan symbols business? Or (more likely) because Gil and Kelly couldn’t afford it until the tv show came along?

• Upvote 8

5 hours ago, clueliss said:

This week’s video they buy a Christmas tree.  During tree shopping Alyssa said something (in response to some memory of John’s from childhood) that growing up (her family) didn’t buy Christmas trees.  But Mama Jane had one. 

my question was, gee was that some sort of Christmas trees are pagan symbols business? Or (more likely) because Gil and Kelly couldn’t afford it until the tv show came along?

They lived in the middle of the country and Gil worked cutting trees! They could have had a free one for sure (maybe not the typical fir, but whatever other tree). I guess they found the tree a pagan symbol, same as Maxwells, and felt superior celebrating tree-free Christmas.

Senior Websters may have been talibans but at least their kids had halloween, Christmas tree and bathsuits!

• Upvote 9

2 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Senior Websters may have been talibans but at least their kids had halloween, Christmas tree and bathsuits!

Goodness, isn’t the bar set low when this is something to praise a fundie family for! I just do not understand the attraction of the fundie life.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5

I always figured Gil and Kelly didn’t really celebrate Christmas because they were always stingy when it came to their children. The old blog. showed they either would go to Kelly’s family to spend Christmas or go to an IBLP event. The I Love You day wasn’t really even a time for Gil and Kelly to do something for their children. The children were responsible for buying gifts and sometimes they had to work at an IBLP event serving food to adults.

• Upvote 11

I thought it was a common fundie thing that trees = pagan until around the time that awful Kirk Cameron movie came out that used some sort of logic gymnastics to prove that trees aren’t pagan. 

• Upvote 7

11 minutes ago, artdecades said:

I thought it was a common fundie thing that trees = pagan until around the time that awful Kirk Cameron movie came out that used some sort of logic gymnastics to prove that trees aren’t pagan. 

God the leaps of logic in that movie are astounding. A Christmas tree actually represents the Tree of Life which is also the cross which is all connected to the swaddling cloth used for Jesus when he was a baby which were reused to wrap up his corpse after he died and also the presents represent the skyline of the New Jerusalem and the nutcrackers are Herod's soldiers killing babies. Like just admit you enjoy typical American Christmas traditions and move on! It doesn't have to be that deep. You can have a Christmas tree and still set up a nativity set or whatever, rather than making up these bogus connections between Christmas trees and Christian symbols.

• Upvote 17
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1

@Anna Bolinas I agree. I heard a very interesting explanation as to why Christmas is now so much more important and meaningful than Easter. Just say, you love the whole Christmas kitsch, consumerism and mainstream culture going on. That’s fine. I love it too. There is no need to bring up a theological base (full of loopholes and blind spots) to justify it. But changing THE core essence is a bit much. Maybe it fits though. I mean, I am sure they rather would follow Paul than Jesus if they were ever confronted with the choice. Sometimes they feel similar to orthodox Christianity. Same root but completely different flower. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

You can bet your Christmas turkey that the nutcrackers = Herod's soldiers line is now going to be presented as fact at this year's holiday. Or next year's since the pandemic is still running amok.

Edited by GuineaPigCourtship
Grammar!!!
  • Upvote 2

Today's instagram story features all three girls dressed in Frozen costumes as they REJECT a proposal of marriage. Alyssa praises John for having taught the girls this scene.

The irony, it BURNS.....

• Upvote 9

Screenshot_20201204-025701.thumb.png.0b67acd4ac5cce8d3925c8ee89d363a5.png

Alyssa served her family fruit and vegetables for dinner! On paper plates, of course, but progress!

• Upvote 7

• Coconut Flan locked this topic