IGNORED

Alyssa and John 7: Laura Ingalls, Something, Something...

samurai_sarah

My daughter was never into the older Disney films. My niece had Beauty and the Beast on replay when she was little but my daughter never got into that one, nor Snow White, Cinderella, Lion King, etc. She liked the ones that came out after she was born (2011)  like Frozen and Inside Out. Coco was a particular favorite, of mine too.

• Upvote 4

It’s not Disney, but I loved “The Swan Princess”. The lyrics are very witty and the supporting cast of animals are very well voiced. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

My kids loved all Disney movies, except for Bambi.  I hadn't seen it since I was a kid and even then I'd only seen it once, so I'd somehow forgotten that Bambi's mother dies.  Shot by poachers, I think.  So there we were, loving the cute little guy and all his forest friends growing up together when all of a sudden Bang!  Bambi's mom has enough time to tell him to run and then she's gone.  The kids cried, I cried, they were yelling at me for showing them a movie like that and I was apologizing for not remembering that part.

To this day they won't watch the movie, and the one who has kids says she won't show it to hers unless they insist and she's going to warn them first.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 7

The Disney movie have never been able to watch even when I was a child is Dumbo. The mother sticking her trunk out of a cage to hold try and hold her baby upset me deeply even as a child. I'm not sure I have actually seen the entire movie. It is just such a depressing cartoon. 

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 1

31 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

The Disney movie have never been able to watch even when I was a child is Dumbo. The mother sticking her trunk out of a cage to hold try and hold her baby upset me deeply even as a child. I'm not sure I have actually seen the entire movie. It is just such a depressing cartoon. 

Well at least she didn't die. Alot of Disney cartoons have someone dying.?

• Upvote 3

I don’t like Taylor swift as a person or an artist. We’re way less than 6 degrees separated and she’s pretty terrible in real life. 

• Upvote 1

Woo Disney movies!!

Fantasia freaked me out. Dumbo and Bambi were too sad for me to handle. I really loved Sleeping Beauty's drawing style. My favourites were The Little Mermaid (I would recreate the 'part of your world' in the bathtub, and then get lectured for 'warping the bathroom tiles') and Beauty and the Beast. I still love to read, and that library... ?

I've never seen Frozen, tho I am a Kristen Bell fan. Part of me wonders if I should get Disney+... it's going to be a long winter!

• Upvote 9

12 minutes ago, AmericanRose said:

I've never seen Frozen, tho I am a Kristen Bell fan. Part of me wonders if I should get Disney+... it's going to be a long winter!

DO IT! And feel free to blog your findings on the Free Jinger Reviews Blog.

I watched half of Tarzan last night, which is yet another underrated and under discussed Disney movie. 

Disney + has a TON of content. Most of the Marvel movies, almost all of the animated features, Pixar, a TON of documentaries that I had forgotten about, and Star Wars (which isn't really my thing anymore but it's very popular.  They don't have the Studio Ghibli films, though, which seems odd because some were released by Disney. 

• Upvote 8

I love Tangled. It cracks me up, but also makes me cry. I’m not big on Disney, but I have a few good childhood memories regarding The Little Mermaid and The Lion King. 

• Upvote 12

I have never been a fan of Disney movies, or actually most children’s movies, as a child or an adult. It’s really baffling to me that the majority of Disney movies involve the death, absence, or separation from a parent, which is a child’s worst fear. So unnecessary, and potentially traumatizing. 

• Upvote 10

8 hours ago, Flossie said:

My kids loved all Disney movies, except for Bambi.  I hadn't seen it since I was a kid and even then I'd only seen it once, so I'd somehow forgotten that Bambi's mother dies.  Shot by poachers, I think.  So there we were, loving the cute little guy and all his forest friends growing up together when all of a sudden Bang!  Bambi's mom has enough time to tell him to run and then she's gone.  The kids cried, I cried, they were yelling at me for showing them a movie like that and I was apologizing for not remembering that part.

To this day they won't watch the movie, and the one who has kids says she won't show it to hers unless they insist and she's going to warn them first.

I really understand you and your children. For me, however, it was fairytales. Some, especially in their original versions, were really dark and at times brutal. And with my vivid imagination, descriptions of people getting brunt or broken on the wheel for their misdeeds made me depressed, so I stayed away from them. In fact, that’s why I don’t know many classical fairy tales despite being (and always having been) an avid reader. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

My aunt bought me a box set of Grimms Fairy Tales as a kid. She actually really "got me," she also introduced me to A House With a Clock in its Walls and probably some Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark type stuff. But I wasn't scared or upset by most movies or books. Well, that's only mostly true. I had nightmares about the end of Nicholas and Alexandra. I once cried for an hour after watching someone I shared a name with get run over by a train on a lifetime movie. As an adult, I can barely handle companion animal death. It's probably because Disney has brainwashed me into thinking all animals are having conversations that I just can't understand right now. 

But none of that was the kind of thing my parents tried to manage for me. They did, however, work OT to keep me away from vomit. Even this week, as a way to old human adult, I saw a baby spit up on a show and promptly threw up. Then I threw up again while cleaning it up. And again, thinking about it while I brushed my teeth. 

I have a different aunt who brags about how many decades it's been since she's vomited or seen vomit. I envy her. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 4

4 hours ago, AmericanRose said:

Woo Disney movies!!

Fantasia freaked me out. Dumbo and Bambi were too sad for me to handle. I really loved Sleeping Beauty's drawing style. My favourites were The Little Mermaid (I would recreate the 'part of your world' in the bathtub, and then get lectured for 'warping the bathroom tiles') and Beauty and the Beast. I still love to read, and that library... ?

My sister, my cousin and I tried many times in my parent's pool to recreate the scene where Ariel emerges out of the ocean to breath and her hair does a perfect flip.

I kind of... love Disney in general. I actually got Disney+ this month (sharing the account and payment with a friend, so that's a nice way to save money), and I'm gonna try to watch all of the animated features in year order. I know I'm a nerd.

As a kid, most times I refused to watch Disney movies, it was because a scene or a segment of the movie scared the shit out of me. Like Snow White : I was quite traumatized by the evil witch transformation into the old ugly lady scene. We had on VHS and on the back, there was an image on the ugly old witch. I couldn't even look at it. I also got FREAKING scared of the scene where Hercules dives into the well of souls (or I don't know how it's called) to save Meg. As he approches her, he ages and almost dies. Beautiful animation but CREEEEEEPED me out as a 7 year old. It took me years to be able to watch Hercules again. Thank goodness I did because it is a damn good movie.

I still claim that the Lion King (1994 version thank you!) is my favorite movie of all times when people ask. I simply consider it a masterpiece. As simple as that.

• Upvote 6

I also love Disney+ because it has a lot of National Geographic content too. We love animal shows in this house and have gone through a ton of different series that showcase the behind the scenes of zoos and animal conservation. Just wanted to throw that out there for anyone who thought it may only be classic Disney films and Star Wars. 

For those who do like Disney, there are also documentaries on how both The Walt Disney Studios and also the theme parks originated. 

We actually bought the bundle because before Disney+ came out, we already had an ESPN+ subscription for all the soccer we watch that never gets televised. With the bundle we also get Hulu, which I didn't have, which allowed me to binge Handmaid's Tale. I am so grateful to have had all this new content for the pandemic.

*Saleswoman hat off*

• Upvote 8

7 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

DO IT! And feel free to blog your findings on the Free Jinger Reviews Blog.

I watched half of Tarzan last night, which is yet another underrated and under discussed Disney movie. 

Disney + has a TON of content. Most of the Marvel movies, almost all of the animated features, Pixar, a TON of documentaries that I had forgotten about, and Star Wars (which isn't really my thing anymore but it's very popular.  They don't have the Studio Ghibli films, though, which seems odd because some were released by Disney. 

Wow, I didn't even know that part of FJ existed! Sounds like fun! :D I do have lots of opinions...

• Upvote 3

Just now, AmericanRose said:

Wow, I didn't even know that part of FJ existed! Sounds like fun! :D I do have lots of opinions...

Just pm an admin to get access. I'd like to see more people using the blogs, and I'm pretty sure they too would like to see them used. 

• Upvote 3

@Johannah loss is pivotal to a plot. For the “hero’s journey” there has to be some sort of impetus to solve a problem, save someone, or discover yourself. For a Bildungsroman (coming of age), there has to be some sort of loss as well (either physical or intangible — loss of innocence perhaps). Then there is the literary / storytelling idea that an orphan is a blank canvas that is searching for their “true” self or “true family.” So, there you have the Disney tropes of children being orphaned, children losing a relative, or children losing sense of self. Also, many Disney movies are based on biblical or Shakespearean plots, and it’s a tale as old as time to have death/loss/deception be the main plot point. In fact, in order to have a plot, you MUST have a problem to be solved. Now, you can have a not very big loss, but that won’t make for a compelling movie that draws in all age ranges. And I would argue that Disney does a good job of wrapping up the themes of loss with important lessons for children. Anyways, there’s your explication from an English major and English teacher lol. 

• Upvote 12

On 11/19/2020 at 10:59 PM, justmy2cents said:

Coco was a particular favorite, of mine too.

I loved Coco too. I am so glad that we saw it at a theater. I thought it was so beautiful and colorful on the big screen.  

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

The Broadway show of Tarzan was amazing.

I was very glad I read Bambi before I ever saw it so I knew what would happen.

Rewatching The Fox and Hound as well as Dumbo is not happening. 

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, kmachete14 said:

@Johannah loss is pivotal to a plot. For the “hero’s journey” there has to be some sort of impetus to solve a problem, save someone, or discover yourself. For a Bildungsroman (coming of age), there has to be some sort of loss as well (either physical or intangible — loss of innocence perhaps). Then there is the literary / storytelling idea that an orphan is a blank canvas that is searching for their “true” self or “true family.” So, there you have the Disney tropes of children being orphaned, children losing a relative, or children losing sense of self. Also, many Disney movies are based on biblical or Shakespearean plots, and it’s a tale as old as time to have death/loss/deception be the main plot point. In fact, in order to have a plot, you MUST have a problem to be solved. Now, you can have a not very big loss, but that won’t make for a compelling movie that draws in all age ranges. And I would argue that Disney does a good job of wrapping up the themes of loss with important lessons for children. Anyways, there’s your explication from an English major and English teacher lol. 

There are lots of ways to create tension and depth and interest and problem solving in a story without specifically the death of parents. Many of these stories may be timeless, but the Disney-fied adaptations have also become somewhat cliché and formulaic. It’s possible to have adventures and explore relationships without parental death. Mary Poppins stands out as one example of a children’s movie that appeals to all ages, isn’t shallow or trite, and also has entertaining musical numbers. Without dead parents.

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

maci jo.png

Interesting. This answer still leaves room for "wow, another baby what a surprise!" but it's a closer nod to any plan to limit fertility than we have heard from a Bates, so.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 7

• Coconut Flan locked this topic