IGNORED

Hollywood and Misogyny

Howl

I had no idea who Joss Whedon is, until some stuff popped up on twitter, outing him as a self proclaimed feminist who had a secret life of many, many affairs while producing Buffy the Vampire slayers and other shows. 

His ex-wife does the best job of clarifying what he was up to with a double life.  It's a painful read.  Joss gives himself a pass.  Her life was completely destroyed.  And people are still paying homage to his false persona as a feminist supporting man. 

Joss Whedon Is a ‘Hypocrite Preaching Feminist Ideals,’ Ex-Wife Kai Cole Says (Guest Blog)   ”He used his relationship with me as a shield … so no one would question his relationships with other women or scrutinize his writing as anything other than feminist,“ she writes

Spoiler

By the time he finally confessed the truth, 15 years after his first affair on the set of “Buffy,” I was broken. My brain could not fit my experience of our life together, through the new lens of his deceit. My entire reality changed overnight, and I went from being a strong, confident woman, to a confused, frightened mess. I was eventually diagnosed with Complex PTSD and for the last five years, I have worked hard to make sense of everything that happened and find my balance again. It has not been easy, because even though in my personal life I have been completely open about what happened, publicly people only know his superficial presentation of us: him as the lovable geek-feminist and me in the background, as his wife and supporter...Until recently, Joss was still letting the illusion of our marriage stay intact. Now that it is finally public, I want to let women know that he is not who he pretends to be. I want the people who worship him to know he is human, and the organizations giving him awards for his feminist work, to think twice in the future about honoring a man who does not practice what he preaches.

• Upvote 2

Anthony Steward Head was bitching that none of the actors on Buffy went to him with their concerns over Whedon. Gee,could it be cos you're also a middle-aged white guy?

• Upvote 3

• 1 year later...

Awww, Fucker Carlson and Jesse Kelly have a sad that a woman doesn't want to be a broodmare for them...

Speaking on Fox News, conservative podcast host Jesse Kelly told network personality Tucker Carlson that he can't imagine that comedian Chelsea Handler—or any woman for that matter—could live a fulfilling life without bearing children.

Kelly, who complained "feminists" like Handler have been deceived by society into believing that “you can be a girl boss and you can do anything a man can do," issued his remarks after Handler, 47, appeared in a Daily Show video about enjoying “a day in the life of a childless woman," which included doing “whatever the f**k I feel like.”

After Carlson declared Handler's video was designed to “make you feel good about being an aging, deeply unlikable woman who never had kids," Kelly suggested Handler is "trying to pretend" to be happy while living the life of a single, childless woman.

Video of Kelly's remarks was shared by Kat Abu, who works for Media Matters for America (MMA), a politically left-leaning 501, nonprofit organization and media watchdog group.

Fuck them both.  If I never heard from these two fuckers ever again it would be too goddamn soon.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

13 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Awww, Fucker Carlson and Jesse Kelly have a sad that a woman doesn't want to be a broodmare for them...

Fuck them both.  If I never heard from these two fuckers ever again it would be too goddamn soon.

This is more politics than Hollywood. And they should talk to Ann Coulter about it.

• Upvote 2

I think Chelsea has made good points for not having kids. She said she loves being an aunt to her nieces and nephews. She’s there for them and loves them but she’s not their parent. She has said she didn’t think she would be a good parent but she’s a good aunt. I’m glad she’s self aware enough to make that choice. There are a lot of women who felt the same way but gave into family and societal pressure and had kids when they really didn’t want to. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 2

8 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think Chelsea has made good points for not having kids. She said she loves being an aunt to her nieces and nephews. She’s there for them and loves them but she’s not their parent. She has said she didn’t think she would be a good parent but she’s a good aunt. I’m glad she’s self aware enough to make that choice. There are a lot of women who felt the same way but gave into family and societal pressure and had kids when they really didn’t want to. 

I'm the same.  I love being Unca 47 to my nieces and how I can be a totally bad influence on my nieces right now.  Along with my niece or nephew when they arrive later this year.  And along with my feline niece and nephews.  If my condo association allowed I'd be a cat parent today. 

I have no interest in bringing children into this world.  Given how fuck face and his GQP minions won't do a fucking thing to protect our citizens and make the planet a better place for them.  Also I don't want to be passing anything down to children like mental health, neurological disorders, or any other health disorders given the state of health care in this shithole of a country.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

My sister decided not to have kids- she had a rough childhood and our mom wasn't the best, I think she didn't want to emotionally neglect a kid the same way she was. Additionally, her husband is one of many in an Irish Catholic family, so I think he was happy enough to just be an uncle as well. It worked out perfectly for them honestly, they travel a TON and have been to upwards of 100+ countries.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2023 at 4:40 PM, 47of74 said:

I'm the same.  I love being Unca 47 to my nieces and how I can be a totally bad influence on my nieces right now.  Along with my niece or nephew when they arrive later this year.  And along with my feline niece and nephews.  If my condo association allowed I'd be a cat parent today. 

I have no interest in bringing children into this world.  Given how fuck face and his GQP minions won't do a fucking thing to protect our citizens and make the planet a better place for them.  Also I don't want to be passing anything down to children like mental health, neurological disorders, or any other health disorders given the state of health care in this shithole of a country.

Saaaaame. I am the  best aunt ever. I would do anything for my niece and nephew. And I'd have been a shitty mother to any creatures other than cats. I found my lane.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

• 2 months later...

They convicted Danny Masterson today let multiple reports on Twitter.  

• Upvote 6

• 3 months later...
On 9/7/2023 at 4:13 PM, clueliss said:

And Masterson is sentenced to 30 years to life per CNN online headline

I get that Ashton Kutcher and Mika Kunis are good friends with Danny. But as a woman, I would have a very hard time writing a character letter to the judge asking for leniency. They both talk about how anti-drugs he is. Big fucking deal. Just because you’re anti-drugs doesn’t mean you are not able to be a rapist too. See that’s what I have a hard time explaining to people. You can be a great dad and a rapist. You can be a philanthropist and a rapist. You can be an stellar husband and a rapist. You can be a big movie star and a rapist. You can be a Scientologist and a rapist. You can be anti-drugs and a rapist. People are many things. That doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be held accountable for their actions . 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 9

On 9/8/2023 at 4:29 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

get that Ashton Kutcher and Mika Kunis are good friends with Danny.

And now they're addressing the backlash.they are "aware of the pain" and "support victims" yet IMO their actions don't really seem to support those claims.   

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/ashton-kutcher-mila-kunis-respond-to-backlash-over-danny-masterson-character-letters/LYNEN3KVLJDLZF3I4UO6HRGEXI/

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

50 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

And now they're addressing the backlash.they are "aware of the pain" and "support victims" yet IMO their actions don't really seem to support those claims.   

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/ashton-kutcher-mila-kunis-respond-to-backlash-over-danny-masterson-character-letters/LYNEN3KVLJDLZF3I4UO6HRGEXI/

I agree. Sorry but you can’t have it both ways. I’ll point something out. The cast of That 70s Show became very close. All except Topher Grace. Basically Mila, Ashton, Danny, Laura and Wilmer all hung out together outside of the show. But Laura dated Danny’s brother for quite a few years and she was also a Scientologist. Therefore you can see why all of them were so close. But what’s interesting is that back then, everyone thought it was weird that Topher Grace didn’t hang out with all of them outside the show. And he left one year before the show ended even though he was the star. Well it makes me wonder if he was uncomfortable with Scientology and Danny. Because during this time, the rapes took place. What’s even more interesting is what Topher Grace’s wife posted after he was sentenced. 

AC38D0F3-4034-4E04-A57F-5AD74BE33992.jpeg

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 4

Mentally moving certain actors here to my personal actors I can’t watch list. (Which features but not limited to Tom Cruise and Johnny Depp)

• I Agree 2

The character letters that have come out think they are painting Danny in a good light. But I read the letters and think, “god he sounds controlling and holier than thou.” And when I say holier, I don’t mean religious. Because he’s a Scientologist. But it seems like he chastised people a lot.  He told people how to behave. Even if they were adults. I usually don’t like people like that. Yet all these people praise him for it. It’s weird.

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

• 1 month later...

It is also important to mention that Danny's victims testified that they believe he drugged them before he raped them.  They were allowed to testify to this is the second trial but not the first trial.  So by having the support letters mention "how anti-drug Danny was" is a not-so-subtle way to undermine the victims' testimony.

They could have written a letter that basically just said "obviously, we don't know what Danny is like in private with his partners and we cannot speak to that behavior but this is our observation of our interactions with him."  In general, I think it is a good thing for defendants to have letters "humanizing" them before sentencing.  But there is a way to write them that does not demean the victims, call into question to jury's verdict etc.

• Upvote 7

Oh I forgot. Ashton  knew the victims. He hung out with them. He KNEW them. That makes the “apology” worse because he didn’t say “to Jane Doe 1, Jane Doe 2, and Jane Doe 3 I am sorry that what I said hurt you. I only meant to say what my interactions were like with Danny. I didn’t mean to hurt you.”  Some of the victims have identified themselves by name and he could’ve also said their names in the apology but no. Ashton and Mila went with the passive voice and “to all survivors.” That was even worse. 

somehow I didn’t see this thread until just now and I feel better getting that off my chest. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2023 at 5:01 PM, 47of74 said:

And of course they both have an extremist dipshit who think women should be reproductive factories.  Fuck the GQP.  And their supporters.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
36 minutes ago, clueliss said:

Paula Abdul filed a suit against Nigel Lythgoe for sexual assault while she was judging American Idol and So You Think You Can Dance

https://www.tmz.com/2023/12/29/paula-abdul-lawsuit-nigel-lythgoe-sexual-assault-american-idol-so-you-think-you-can-dance/

And we will now just wait for the other women who will come forward with allegations. Because these men never just assault one person. 

• Upvote 4

Lythgoe has denied the claims (duh) saying something to the effect of "We all know that Paula is crazy." Asshole. I hope she ruins him. 

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, marmalade said:

Lythgoe has denied the claims (duh) saying something to the effect of "We all know that Paula is crazy." Asshole. I hope she ruins him. 

Luckily the “she’s crazy” bullshit doesn’t work like it used to. And actually it’s a bad sign for him if he says she’s crazy. Because people now know that’s a common tactic of assaulters. 

• Upvote 6

It was the dismissive way he said WE ALL KNOW, like it's canon, that really pissed me off. 

• Upvote 6

21 minutes ago, marmalade said:

It was the dismissive way he said WE ALL KNOW, like it's canon, that really pissed me off. 

Anytime I hear a man talk about his ex gf or ex wife as crazy, I immediately have my hackles up. I probably won’t believe much of what that guy says about his ex going forward. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

Two more women have filed a joint suit (as Jane Does) against Lythgoe. I'm not sure if they filed by 12/31 to have the statute of limitations not applied, as was the case with Paula's filing in late December.

Edited by marmalade
Typo
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4