IGNORED

Dillards 86: It's a Long Way to Tipperary

samurai_sarah

2 minutes ago, viii said:

Admitting to using birth control, using correct terms, and getting a lawyer? 

I'm impressed. It's a great start.

I wonder if the underserved people that Derrick is planning to help after he becomes a lawyer is exploited children from fundamental families. ? Because, obviously, he might see the need. 

• Upvote 17

How did he pay for law school? Anyone watch the video?

And wouldn’t TLC be required to pay adult participants in the show directly? And set up a trust for any minor children? I don’t see how JB got away with this. I can’t believe they got a lawyer. JB must be PISSED. Also, it must have gotten ugly; theoretically JB had the option to fork over the funds without legal involvement and chose not to. Really hope Jillard writes a tell-all

• Upvote 18

5 minutes ago, Johannah said:

He mentioned not wanting debt and using scholarships, going to an in-state school to save money (said law school is only three years and actually costs less than his undergrad did) and that they make money off of their Youtibe channel and Jill's social media ads. I don't believe he mentioned driving for DoorDash (or whichever one he does), but I assume that helps too.

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 7

I am most surprised that they sued JB. IBLP tells Christians not to sue other Christians. Jill is definitely cut off from the family. Money is JB’s God. I bet Jill’s siblings are NOT happy that Derrick and Jill sued “poor Pops” and take family money away (that Jill deserved!).

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 21

So Dillwank used Jill’s money to go to law school. Wonder if he’ll return the favor once he’s making money? 

ETA: I figured Boob was paying them, but surprised they actually sued him. I wonder what her siblings think? Do they resent her? 

Edited by Snarkasarus Rex
  • Upvote 5

35 minutes ago, viii said:

Admitting to using birth control, using correct terms, and getting a lawyer? 

I'm impressed. It's a great start.

My thoughts exactly. I celebrate how far they have come while acknowledging they still hold some problematic beliefs. At least they seem to want to live and let live, i.e. hormonal birth control isn't what Jill wants but she acknowledges it may have a place in others' lives.

Honestly I have the most hope for them right now. If you're willing to change and take on new ideas who is to say there's a stopping point for that. If they are having friendly debates like they referenced maybe some idea will hit them one day and further their thinking.

• Upvote 28

Well they could use condoms, a diaphragm (that is what I used and I really like it), a non-hormonal spiral contraception, a female condom..

I'm really impressed and this might be a Q&A that I'm going to watch.

• Upvote 5

I bet Jill’s siblings resent her THE MOST for suing JB (which takes away all of the siblings from getting that $) more so than Jill wearing pants, public school, and nose ring.

$ is JB’s God. IBLP books instruct them to not sue Christians.

I had a feeling Derrick wanted to go to law school to get back at JB for Jill, having Counting On in her name at one point, highest ratings for her wedding, crying on Fox to defend her molester, and not getting paid.

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, twoandthrough said:

He mentioned not wanting debt and using scholarships, going to an in-state school to save money (said law school is only three years and actually costs less than his undergrad did) and that they make money off of their Youtibe channel and Jill's social media ads. I don't believe he mentioned driving for DoorDash (or whichever one he does), but I assume that helps too.

He did mention working himself while going to school whether that be a law type gig or something else (assuming he was referring to Doordash). 

16 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

So Dillwank used Jill’s money to go to law school. Wonder if he’ll return the favor once he’s making money? 

I would hope so if that is what she wants to do but they seem like they are on the same page about finances. In my own marriage there is no my money or your money, its just our money. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 4

I feel bad for Jill. I don’t think any of the siblings are close to her except for phony Jessa. Jessa probably only shows up to make her appear better in public eye and always takes a selfie of them for the proof. I bet she was encouraged to do that by JB & Michelle for the family brand too.

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

55 minutes ago, Johannah said:

And wouldn’t TLC be required to pay adult participants in the show directly? And set up a trust for any minor children? I don’t see how JB got away with this. I can’t believe they got a lawyer. JB must be PISSED. Also, it must have gotten ugly; theoretically JB had the option to fork over the funds without legal involvement and chose not to. Really hope Jillard writes a tell-all

Contracts are allowed to be pretty loose. I could sign a contract saying, hey, pay that stranger over there all the money you owe me, and if I am in my right state of mind, that isn't wrong (legally). So, honestly, TLC probably isn't required to do anything. If Jill as an adult signed something saying yeah give all my money to JB, that may be fine. I'm not giving any specific advice here obviously I've never seen the TLC contract, but I'm just saying in general contracts aren't subject to strict rules about what you have to do or who has to get the money or goods in question. You can assign money or services you're owed to another party pretty easily.

I mean TLC has probably got a good legal team. Whatever arrangement they've come to, I would be surprised if it was illegal. I'm sure they've done exactly what they're required to do .

Now, the ethics of the thing is different. 

• Upvote 9

I hope all the growth Jill has done gives the other siblings courage to carve their own paths. Maybe she was a support to Joy in them starting a YouTube channel. Some siblings probably resent the Dillards for suing but it may give others the courage to eventually stand up to him, too. Good for the Dillards standing up to JB!

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 8

It’s not ethical to watch the show when JB and Josh are profiting from it nor to support them on social media.

1 hour ago, Giraffe said:

I hope all the growth Jill has done gives the other siblings courage to carve their own paths. Maybe she was a support to Joy in them starting a YouTube channel. Some siblings probably resent the Dillards for suing but it may give others the courage to eventually stand up to him, too. Good for the Dillards standing up to JB!

When was the last time Joy was pictured with Jill? I don’t think they are close. Do you see them interacting on social media?

Anna and DavidNPriscilla used to comment on all of Jill’s posts until they started talking about JB in public.

I don’t think Derick and Jill would’ve become fundie lite if they didn’t fight with JB over money. I believe the legal battle over money triggered their transformation.

1 hour ago, Giraffe said:

I doubt it. The siblings know if they cross JB like Jillard, they will be cut off from $$$ and the rest of their siblings. In fact, the siblings probably resent Jillard from going after the family funds. The only thing that will trigger independence in any of the siblings will be, IMO, if they feel they will financially benefit by straying.

I don’t believe any of Jill’s siblings are close with her. I think Jill has been shunned by them all except for phony Jessa and is having to build her own social support system now. I stand by this just like 3 years ago when I suspected JB cut them off and they were feuding over money before they admitted it. Many people thought I was making a wild claim when I said I believed the kids signed something allowing for JB to take all of the money into a trust that he owns and dole it out as he chooses. Right now, the Duggar siblings appear to be siding with JB over Jill and I don’t believe that will change unless they feel they’d financially benefit by crossing JB.

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

Given the education Jill had and the environment she grew up in, I am actually impressed by the way she talks regarding LGBTQ+ at the end of this Q+A. You can see she is reaching for language that isn’t familiar to her but goes at it anyway. She’s trying to articulate ideas that are fairly liberal for her experience. This woman is a massive victim of her upbringing and I agree with an earlier poster - it is incredibly sad to think what Jill could have achieved given the chance at a proper education.

Being LGBTQ+, it makes me so angry to have fundies/anybody deny us basic human rights and dignities. However, Jill (and possibly, cautiously Derrick, given that he seems to at least understand pronouns) appears to be growing and learning. I hold out hope that one day she could sit down with someone from the community and understand the damage done by anti-LGBTQ+ politicians, groups and misguided “freedom of speech” but baby steps. She certainly isn’t alone - it’s not even a ‘fundie Christians only’ belief. There are plenty of people before her I’d like to have that chat. Given her recent changes, therapy, lifestyle choices, I’m going to give her a pass this once. 

• Upvote 30
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 3

I could see Austin not being so bothered by the Dillards suing JB since he  has a job outside of Counting On.  The others, yes, I am sure are upset about the lawsuits. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

I see Jill is still spouting the Duggar party line about hormonal birth causing abortions. I hope she eventually becomes better informed about how exactly it works by her doctor.

I'm surprised that she answered the question at all, though! They're actually living up to what they've said about wanting to be transparent, in direct contrast to Jill's family.

• Upvote 23
  • I Agree 1

Good for you Jilly Muffin.  Never thought that she'd be the one to break away.  But they proof is overwhelming that they are fundie lite.  And since they admitted to having LGBTQ+ friends, maybe they will change their mind and decide that it's not actually sinful.  

• Upvote 13

21 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I could see Austin not being so bothered by the Dillards suing JB since he  has a job outside of Counting On.  The others, yes, I am sure are upset about the lawsuits. 

I see Joy’s instagram is filled with selfies of her with Jana, Abbie, Carlin, Duggar brothers, and little different siblings, but not Jill which is surprising since Jill raised her...

JB is very close with Austin’s father.

A716C767-4E2B-4615-8541-B655592FF44D.thumb.jpeg.2b30da571d69430a891053abcdac86a0.jpeg

I think Joystin quit the show after being stressed out that their baby died and made to air it all.

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 4

You know, I don't like everything they said but at least they are one Duggar couple that seem to have come to where they are genuinely which is all I wish for these kidults. 

I never thought I'd see the day where Jill and Derek are the least awkward, stilted Duggars out there. It makes me wonder how much of how weird they seemed was just them going through the motions for things that didn't fit them at all. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

Did she actually say they sued JB , or is it possible they sued TLC?

I wonder if it even got to that point. Civil law suits are public typically. Maybe the lawyer was hired to send a demand letter and things never got to the point of litigation? REGARDLESS I'm happy to hear that they were willing to try even if it may have been an uphill battle.

Every time they post I find myself just getting a little bit excited for them. So may positive steps forward.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

Don't most use NFP?? Or what we can assume among fundies if there is spacing?

I assume that extended nursing/lactation amenorrhea paired with being tired because of all those kids and just not having all the sex at the right time is what causes any spacing we see in the really Fundy fundies

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

• samurai_sarah locked this topic