IGNORED

Dillards 86: It's a Long Way to Tipperary

samurai_sarah

I don’t think DD would be anti-vasectomy. I do like the Dillards approach that seems to lean toward religion with a good dose of personal responsibility and free will. It shows a whole lot more use of the brain than JB has ever exhibited.

• Upvote 12

Wait... you can reverse a vasectomy?! The things I learn on this forum! Damn you, interesting and knowledge filled people!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 13

6 minutes ago, finnlassie said:

Wait... you can reverse a vasectomy?! The things I learn on this forum! Damn you, interesting and knowledge filled people!

You need to watch John and Chelsy's wedding for all the vasectomy deets.

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 1
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 19
  • I Agree 2

18 minutes ago, finnlassie said:

Often, not always. It should definitely still be considered permanent birth control. 

• Upvote 9

25 minutes ago, finnlassie said:

I kind of think you're joking given that you hang out at Free Jinger, but I can't tell. (This kind of joke is the same as JD is a pilot).

In case you're not

The Maxwells had three children (Nathan, Christopher and Sarah). Steve got a vasectomy. He lived with it for a bout 6 years before becoming Quiverfull. He had it reversed and they had five more children (Joseph, John, Anna, Jesse, and Mary).

Steve is the most famous fundie to have a vasectomy reversed, but not alone. Many IBLP families had fathers who reversed their vasectomies.  For example, this story about a young woman whose family joined IBLP

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

Apparently only certain types can be reversed? When my hubby was having his the surgeon told him to be 110% sure he never wanted a reversal because it couldn’t be done with the type he performed. Though I think there is a procedure where they go in with a needle to extract sperm from the testes? We are never going to look into it but a family member battling infertility was talking about it. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

Apparently only certain types can be reversed? When my hubby was having his the surgeon told him to be 110% sure he never wanted a reversal because it couldn’t be done with the type he performed. Though I think there is a procedure where they go in with a needle to extract sperm from the testes? We are never going to look into it but a family member battling infertility was talking about it. 

A lot of the time they just cut the tube and cauterise the ends, this can cause the ends to rejoin over time. My husbands they cut and removed the mid section of the tube then cauterised the ends. So his isn’t reversible for this reason, perhaps the same for your husband?

There is still a way to do sperm retrieval. But it’s not guaranteed or overly advertised as a post vasectomy option.
  • Upvote 9
  • Love 1

When you go have a vasectomy you should absolutely consider it permanent, because there is no guarantee that it will be reversible. That doesn't mean that it can be or that sometimes it doesn't work.

• Upvote 7

11 hours ago, adidas said:

I think doctors can extract it and then use it in a similar way as if it was donated sperm. I don't know if it's easy or not, and I bet it's very expensive. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I kind of think you're joking given that you hang out at Free Jinger, but I can't tell. (This kind of joke is the same as JD is a pilot).

In case you're not

The Maxwells had three children (Nathan, Christopher and Sarah). Steve got a vasectomy. He lived with it for a bout 6 years before becoming Quiverfull. He had it reversed and they had five more children (Joseph, John, Anna, Jesse, and Mary).

Steve is the most famous fundie to have a vasectomy reversed, but not alone. Many IBLP families had fathers who reversed their vasectomies.  For example, this story about a young woman whose family joined IBLP

I sincerely didn't know reversing vasectomy was a thing. I don't really go beyond the Duggar section of the board here. Pretty interesting stuff, though, especially in the context of quiver full!

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

@finnlassie you are missing a lot by not venturing out of the Duggar section I recommend JRod thread, Maxwell (also known as Maxhell) Bates if you haven't followed them till now and then pick and choose the others, there is a lot to discover, have fun 

Edited by Italiangirl
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, medimus said:

When you go have a vasectomy you should absolutely consider it permanent, because there is no guarantee that it will be reversible. That doesn't mean that it can be or that sometimes it doesn't work.

Caution - you should consider it permanent AFTER you're given the all clear. Friends had three boys, had a vasectomy, waited the time frame they were instructed but didn't get re-tested and now have three boys and a girl. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Haha I've mentioned it before but my dad is kind of a Michael Scott of vasectomies. He had 3 kids with his first wife, got snipped, met my mom- had it reversed and had two more (all girls btw), and then went and got re-snipped ?. I like to think I am some kind of miracle baby with all the snipping and unsnipping and my mom having pcos and needing fertility drugs to get pregnant ?

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, kiwi said:

A lot of the time they just cut the tube and cauterise the ends, this can cause the ends to rejoin over time. My husbands they cut and removed the mid section of the tube then cauterised the ends. So his isn’t reversible for this reason, perhaps the same for your husband?

There is still a way to do sperm retrieval. But it’s not guaranteed or overly advertised as a post vasectomy option.

This is how my husbands was done as well.  I don't remember the doctor telling us this was un-reversible, but I had really bad inattentive unmedicated ADHD at the time, so I missed a LOT. 

• Love 2

9 hours ago, Meggo said:

Caution - you should consider it permanent AFTER you're given the all clear. Friends had three boys, had a vasectomy, waited the time frame they were instructed but didn't get re-tested and now have three boys and a girl. 

What's worse than having a vasectomy? Having a it done twice. So said my friend. He had one (silly idiot) didn't wait the time frame, Mrs got pregnant, cue awkward did you  cheat convo? Finally got his test, the Dr cut the same tube twice. He had to get the surgery again and got a son also. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 12

Anecdotal, but most of what I know of guys having a vasectomy reversed is when they left the old wife and the younger new one wanted children.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

On 10/6/2020 at 10:44 AM, kiwi said:

Yep I think this is what the Dr did. It was a while ago so I can’t remember exactly, but this sounds very familiar. 

His test afterwards showed 0 swimmers and I have a mirena as well, so I think we are safe. I hope so anyway. 

On 10/5/2020 at 2:33 PM, finnlassie said:

my dad got a vasectomy after me, and 2 years later tried to reverse it and when he had the operation and we all went camping it started to bleed and well that is never good and you can imagine the hospital near a camp ground.

my best friend made her husband get one after 4 kids in 6 years, and the same day she made him get one she had him install tiles by himself in the basement....2 years later she left him. 

Edited by nst
  • Disgust 1
  • Rufus Bless 4
  • WTF 2

Current thread drift reminds me of a story line on Outdaughtered.  Adam Busby got a vasectomy.  Then blew off a follow up appointment to make sure 'it took.'  Until Danielle got sick and it looked like maybe she could be pregnant.  So then Adam had to go in and get his follow up.  He was fine, she was just sick. 

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1

New vid. Interesting to me how it’s clear when she’s being honest and when it’s just spin.

A lot of vague non-statements in that video.
  • Upvote 1

I’ll speculate from the video: JB is the person that they have issues with. The only trip Jill wants to take is a vacation. She has no interest in foreign mission work. And if a network came calling and let the Dillards call the shots, they’d exploit their kids in a hot second. I thought for sure they’d reference child exploitation as a reason for stopping the show, but nope. They still have some work to do-

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

• samurai_sarah locked this topic